[CLOSED] Fatdog64-720 Beta [1 Dec 2017]

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
fatdog

[CLOSED] Fatdog64-720 Beta [1 Dec 2017]

#1 Post by fatdog »

The Fatdog team (Kirk, James, SFR and step) is happy to announce the next version of Fatdog64, 720 Beta.

Fatdog64 720 Beta is the next iteration of Fatdog64. It is still built on the same base as Fatdog64 710 so it has high-degree of compatibility with 710 packages, however it has been expanded, improved, and modified to meet today's challenge.

Much of the improvements in this release are from SFR and step.

We like to thanks those who have provided feedback, suggestions, advices, bug reports, bug fixes in the previous releases. You know who you are.

============
Major breaking changes
============

As usual, we neither support nor recommend carrying over your savefile/savefolder from older version of Fatdogs (="Fatdog does not update from any previous versions"); however, if you do, there are a few gotchas that you definitely need want to know in this version.

1. Spot's home directory has been moved from /root/spot to /home/spot. This has repercussions. Please read the details here.

2. Internal samba and samba rox-app ("Shares") have been revised and improved. Together with Linux kernel's breaking changes (security improvements due to SMB1), your old "Shares" will no longer work; they need to be deleted and re-created.

============
Update highlights
============
- Linux 4.14.2
- WpaGui now supports wired ethernet and static IP configuration
- Wifi Monitor (Fatdog Wireless Antenna)
- A much improvde SFS Manager
- libinput now drives all Xorg inputs (replacing evdev and synaptics)
- LICK Installer included in the ISO (thanks noryb009)
- Updated and expanded Help and FAQs documents.

Note 1: We don't ship with Seamonkey 2.49.1 because currently it cannot build the Calender extension (Lightning) for Mail. This has been an on-going problem for the Seamonkey team which we managed to work around in previous release; but not in 2.49.1

Note 2: We shipped with Flash Player 11.x. This is because Flash Player 11.x is the version that supports DRM, required for some protected video streaming sites.
Newer versions of Flash don't. You can update Flash yourself from the Control Panel if you want to, but if you do, you won't be able to use DRM-ed services anymore.

Note 3: We have updated and expanded the Help and FAQ documents. They are available both online here and offline in Fatdog (file:///usr/share/doc/faqs/faq.html) and in Menu System -> Fatdog Help. Please invest time to read these documents to clarify issues, especially for new users.

============
Download
============

ISO, devx, nls and 32-bit compatibility sfs are all available from here: http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/iso/720b/.
Kernel sources you can get it from SFS Manager or from here: http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/sfs/720/.
You can also get them from one of ibiblio's mirros: nluug.nl, aarnet, uoc.gr (Mirrors may take time to replicate the copies).

We don't usually provide extra kernel drivers for beta releases; but since we already have built it, we have uploaded Nvidia proprietary drivers version 340.104 for your enjoyment. It is located in the same location of the ISO. All you need to do is download it, use the System SFS Loader to load it (and make sure it is loaded at next boot), and then reboot. Before you do this, please ensure that your Nvidia card is supported by version 340.104.

============
Beta period
============

If there is no bad bugs happening, we are hoping to publish the Final release before Christmas.

============
Previous release
============

Previous release is here: Fatdog64-710 Final.

============
Full-update list
============

Updates:
- Linux 4.14.2
- Libreoffice icon fixes, updated to 5.2.7.2
- rox-filer-jun7 updated to latest (November 2017)
- gimp updated to 2.8.22
- Seamonkey updated to 2.48
- Rox-filer MIME-type handlers expanded.
- WpaGui now supports wired ethernet and static IP configuration
- Spot's home is now /home/spot (no longer in /root/spot)
- Reduce access permission for tmpfs when running in RAM mode
- gtkmenuplus 1.1.7
- Auto-set Xorg font DPI for high-resolution screen
- Cutdown samba now is based on 4.7.3 instead of obsolete samba3.
- "Shares" app greatly improved
- libnss updated to 3.33 and libnspr to 4.17
- xf86-driver-intel updated to latest git.
- libinput-1.8.2
- xf86-input-libinput-0.26.0
- xf86-video-amdgpu-1.4.0
- xf86-video-ati-7.10.0
- gtkdialog now supports libglade
- mc 4.8.19
- findnrun 2.4.1
- guvcview 2.0.5
- mesa 17.2.6
- xorg-server 1.19.5
- avahi 0.7.0 replaces mDNSresponder
- Drive-icon fixes
- armagetronad-0.2.8.3.4
- gtk-bookmarks added for root and spot for easier Open/Save File dialog navigation
- p7zip-7za 16.02
- Osmo fixes
- libbluray-1.0.1
- libaacs-0.9.0
- git 2.14.1
- gparted 0.29
- vlc 2.2.6
- xournal-0.4.8.2016
- geany-1.31
- geany-plugins-spell 1.31
- wpa_supplicant 2.6 (Patched for krack)
- lxqt-panel-0.11.1 (and dependencies)
- musl 1.1.8
- bacon 3.5.4
- Fatdog (BIOS) Installer now can install from USB drive (no CD/ISO required)
- Busybox - updated to March 2017 version
- screencast - ability to create GIF as output
- grub2 fixes 462MB initrd limit
- iptraf-ng replaces iptraf
- openssl 1.0.2k
- refind 0.11.2
- A much improved SFS Manager

New Features:
- UEFI-Installer (install to USB flash drive)
- pkg2sfs - convert TXZ package to SFS directly
- txt2svg from vovchik
- fatdog-wireless-antenna 1.0.2 - another home-grown utility to view Wifi status
- Include mm_view (MochiMoppel's excellent file viewer) 2017.11
- LICK Installer 1.2 now included in Fatdog ISO (Windows executable for installing Fatdog64)
- Xorg now uses libinput by default (replacing evdev and synaptics driver)
- Simple touchpad configuration app for libinput replacing flSynclient

Plus the usual bug fixes and fine-tunings.

At the time of release, Fatdog 720 now has more than 1750 packages (both official and contributed) in its official repository; not counting contributed packages stored in other repos (smokey01.com) and else where, as documented in Contributed Fatdog64 Packages.

============
ISO Builder Note
============

If you like to build your own ISO, we have uploaded the current ISO builder as well as the 720beta package list here (builder dated 2017.11 and 720b-package list).

Enjoy.
Last edited by fatdog on Wed 20 Dec 2017, 17:52, edited 11 times in total.

fatdog

#2 Post by fatdog »

Slow Boot
If you perform manual frugal install, please make sure that the following will result in a VERY SLOW boot of Fatdog.
1. You use grub4dos or grub-legacy
2. You put Fatdog vmlinuz and initrd in ext4 partition
3. The partition above is BIG (16G is considered BIG).

This is because while grub legacy and grub4dos can read from ext4, they can do so OH VERY VERY SLOWLY. This, when combined with a slow BIOS, can result in booting time exceeding 10 minutes.

To make Fatdog boot faster, there are a few things you can do, in order of sensibilities:
1. Put Fatdog64 in anything other than ext4. Ext3 is good, ext2 is good, FAT is good. But avoid ext4. If you can only do one thing, do this one.
2. Split Fatdog's large initrd.
3. Use a smaller partition (1 - 2GB) that is dedicated to hold Fatdog.
4. Use another bootloader.

Missing Firmware
We have changed the way we handle firmware in 720. It's possible some firmware we would like to include is missing. If you find something doesn't work, like your network card, check if you are missing firmware. Open a terminal and type dmesg Then look for messages about missing firmware. Let us know and we may include it for final.

Kodi SFS
If you download and use the kodi.sfs from SFS manager you may encounter an error. Forum member chiron has found the solution.
Regarding Kodi, it's just a missing symlink. libsmbclient.so.0.2 is present, and in the Kodi SFS, also the symlink from libsmbclient.so.0 is. But in 720 somehow does not make it into the top layer of the filesystem. Manually created the symlink, and it works.
How to build your own Nvidia SFS
Nvidia driver 340.104 is include in this release (see the ISO directory in ibiblio). But if you need another version, you can make your own. Steps here: http://lightofdawn.org/wiki/wiki.cgi/Cr ... aDriverSFS

OpenGL 2.1 and Intel graphics
In their wisdom, Intel has the newer Mesa drop support OpenGL 2.1 on certain "lesser" graphics card.
But for now, this can be "fixed". Details here.
Last edited by fatdog on Thu 07 Dec 2017, 11:31, edited 7 times in total.
-= The Fatdog Team (kirk, jamesbond, SFR and step) =-
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=794748#794748]Contributed Fatdog64 packages thread[/url]
This account is used for announcements only. Send PM directly to members' handle.

fatdog

#3 Post by fatdog »

Reserved
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=794748#794748]Contributed Fatdog64 packages thread[/url]
This account is used for announcements only. Send PM directly to members' handle.

fatdog

#4 Post by fatdog »

Reserved

ally

#5 Post by ally »

jake29

#6 Post by jake29 »

Excellent. Can't wait to install. Thanks to everyone involved for making this.

Sage

#7 Post by Sage »

Fantastic - thanks. Always was a fan.
When will there be a Leandog32?!

mavrothal

#8 Post by mavrothal »

Tried it on a macbook and it looks good!
The kworker bug is still there (a kernel issue with macbooks- unrelated to FD).
I liked that it tried to handle the the high resolution monitor but auto-setting global font size to such a high number totally messes up the appearance.
Batterymeter had to be told* to look also in /sys/class/power_supply to find out if we have a battery.
The default brightness (40) was kind of low I think but I guess this depends on the hardware one uses.
I still find strange that at first reboot after you make a savefile, asks again for language/keyboard/time etc setup that were set on the first (from CD) boot.
So just very minor "issues". Overall looks very nice.

Code: Select all

--- a/etc/xdg/Startup/Batterymeter
+++ a/etc/xdg/Startup/Batterymeter
@@ -7,4 +7,12 @@
 			*)			exec fatdog-battery-applet.sh	;;
 		esac
 	fi
+elif [ -d /sys/class/power_supply ]; then
+	results="`find /sys/class/power_supply -mindepth 1 -name BAT*`"
+	if [ ! -z "$results" ]; then
+		case "$results" in
+			*'BAT'*)	exec vattery	;;
+			*)			exec fatdog-battery-applet.sh	;;
+		esac
+	fi
 fi
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

belham2

#9 Post by belham2 »

Ok, it's Friday!

Brain is fried.

Thus I have a whopper of a stupid question. :oops:

I downloaded the new fatdog64-720b.iso at 377mb.

Here are the pics below.

Where in heck is the fatdog64.sfs???

I can't frugal boot it without a .sfs, right?

[Edit: Withdrawn] Given the size of the initrd (~350mb) :shock: , everything must be slammed in it. Interesting.....,
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(76.09 KiB) Downloaded 3873 times

Terry H

#10 Post by Terry H »

belham2 wrote:Ok, it's Friday!

Brain is fried.

Thus I have a whopper of a stupid question. :oops:

I downloaded the new fatdog64-720b.iso at 377mb.

Here are the pics below.

Where in heck is the fatdog64.sfs???

[Edit: Withdrawn] Given the size of the initrd (~350mb) :shock: , everything must be slammed in it. Interesting.....,
It's contained in the initrd

belham2

#11 Post by belham2 »

....and, I'm stumped.

Tried these two menu.lst entries, and Fatdog64-720 with the monster initrd refuses to boot.

title fatdog64-720 (sda1/fatdog64-720)
  uuid ######-####-####-########
  kernel /fatdog64-720/vmlinuz waitdev=5 pfix=fsck
  initrd /fatdog64-720/initrd 

kernel /fatdog64-720/vmlinuz waitdev=5 rootfstype=ramfs savefile=direct:device:sda1:fd64save.ext4 pfix=fsck

Anyone know how to get it booted frugally? Boy, I can already tell I am not keen on this slamming everything into a huge initrd. It's gonna make troubleshooting and problem hunting even more troublesome for the small non-fatdog-team user than is warranted. Barry already drives me nuts, lol, with some of the things he has done in this regard with the Quirkies/Easys. But now my rock-steady Fatdogs too? Ugh..... Will have to continually be coming on here to post when faced with a problem since the Bismarck (aka the 'initrd') is completely loaded for battle is only one ship. Too easy to sink...just like the literal one of lore :cry:

kirk

#12 Post by kirk »

I liked that it tried to handle the the high resolution monitor but auto-setting global font size to such a high number totally messes up the appearance.
Yea, it's a first step at improving things for hires screens. At least it's readable now. Maybe for 730/800 or whatever it ends up being we'll work on the icons.
It's in the initrd!!!........ Just kidding :)

Tried these two menu.lst entries, and Fatdog64-720 with the monster initrd refuses to boot.

Code:

kernel /fatdog64-720/vmlinuz waitdev=5 pfix=fsck

Code:

kernel /fatdog64-720/vmlinuz waitdev=5 rootfstype=ramfs savefile=direct:device:sda1:fd64save.ext4 pfix=fsck
I don't know about the uuid part or your paths, and the rootfstype=ramfs is not needed, but the rest looks OK. Check the md5sum of the iso.

Billtoo

Fatdog64-720 Beta [1 Dec 2017]

#13 Post by Billtoo »

I installed to the hard drive of my Acer desktop.

# sh inxi -bw
System: Host: fatdog64-e81 Kernel: 4.14.2 x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Openbox 3.5.2 Distro: Fatdog64 Linux 720
Machine: Device: desktop System: ACER product: Aspire M5620 v: R01-A4 serial: PTS860X0348050CF642700
Mobo: ACER model: G33T-AM v: 1.0 serial: 00000000 BIOS: American Megatrends v: R01-A4 date: 12/19/2007
Battery hidpp__0: charge: N/A condition: NA/NA Wh
hidpp__1: charge: N/A condition: NA/NA Wh
CPU: Quad core Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 (-MCP-) speed/max: 1603/2403 MHz
Graphics: Card: NVIDIA GF108 [GeForce GT 430]
Display Server: X.Org 1.19.5 driver: nvidia Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz, 1920x1080@60.00hz
OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GT 430/PCIe/SSE2 version: 4.3.0 NVIDIA 387.34
Network: Card: Intel 82566DC-2 Gigabit Network Connection driver: e1000e
Drives: HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (1.2% used)
Weather: Conditions: 39 F (4 C) - Overcast Time: December 1, 6:18 PM EST
Info: Processes: 159 Uptime: 9 min Memory: 217.6/7983.6MB Client: Shell (sh) inxi: 2.3.51
#
It's working okay so far but the kodi sfs won't run,

# kodi
/usr/lib64/kodi/kodi.bin: error while loading shared libraries: libsmbclient.so.0:
cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
#

Thanks.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(69.23 KiB) Downloaded 3779 times

belham2

#14 Post by belham2 »

kirk wrote:
I don't know about the uuid part or your paths, and the rootfstype=ramfs is not needed, but the rest looks OK. Check the md5sum of the iso.

Hi Kirk,

Md5 sums checked properly. Just to be safe, re-downloaded again (from ibiblio), checked md5sum again, all good.

She still won't frugal boot. It just freezes up. There's a problem, and its not my end and/or my UUID (trust me, I already have multiple 'frugals' setup, and have literally done at least 500 of them over the years).

Also note, I've now tried 'frugal' booting the ISO on an Intel core i3 laptop, and two amd 64-bit machines, all with 8GB or ram or more, and all effortlessly booting other pups frugally. Still no go. She just sits there and does nothing and cannot boot herself

Again, there's a problem with this ISO release for 'frugal' booting, and since everything is hammered together into the initrd, it makes it near impossible to find out exactly what the problem is for 'frugal' booting.

Hope you all find out what it is. Full installs of Fatdog or any pup/ddog never happen around these parts :wink:
Last edited by belham2 on Fri 01 Dec 2017, 23:34, edited 1 time in total.

jamesbond

#15 Post by jamesbond »

jake29 wrote:Excellent. Can't wait to install. Thanks to everyone involved for making this.
You're welcome.
Sage wrote:Fantastic - thanks. Always was a fan.
Thank you :)
When will there be a Leandog32?!
Errr ... you can actually build it yourself using the ISO Builder if you want.
mavrothal wrote:Tried it on a macbook and it looks good!
Thank you!
The kworker bug is still there (a kernel issue with macbooks- unrelated to FD).
Didn't happen on Mac Mini, so I thought it was already fixed.

For those who don't know, here is the problem and the fix:
http://sudoremember.blogspot.com.au/201 ... orker.html
Batterymeter had to be told* to look also in /sys/class/power_supply to find out if we have a battery.
Thank you, fix committed.
The default brightness (40) was kind of low I think but I guess this depends on the hardware one uses.
I don't set the brightness at boot. That must be what the kernel choose by default.
I still find strange that at first reboot after you make a savefile, asks again for language/keyboard/time etc setup that were set on the first (from CD) boot.
The rationale is that when you do a pristine boot, you are probably just:
a) testing whether you like Fatdog or not
b) fixing stuff

In which case, you probably don't want to be bothered by having to answer questions you probably don't care of.

Once you've decided that Fatdog is there to stay (and create a savefile/savefolder to keep your personalised settings), that would be the good time to ask for the initial settings.
So just very minor "issues". Overall looks very nice.
Thank you again.
belham2 wrote:Tried these two menu.lst entries, and Fatdog64-720 with the monster initrd refuses to boot.
You can get the monster out of the Bismarck :) http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/fa ... nitrd.html
# kodi
/usr/lib64/kodi/kodi.bin: error while loading shared libraries: libsmbclient.so.0:
cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
#
Is that the kodi.sfs from step? It is probably linked to samba3. We ditched samba3 and moved on to samba4; so kodi.sfs will have to be rebuild. Will probably have to wait until step returns from is travel.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

belham2

#16 Post by belham2 »

jamesbond wrote:
belham2 wrote:Tried these two menu.lst entries, and Fatdog64-720 with the monster initrd refuses to boot.
You can get the monster out of the Bismarck :) http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/fa ... nitrd.html

Hi James!

Gonna try your suggestion and pull the .sfs out, and then see if she'll boot 'frugally".

That Bismarck was one hell of a ship...until she went down, that is :wink:

jamesbond

#17 Post by jamesbond »

Also check what version of grub4dos you have. There are many versions of grub4dos, not all of them are equally capable. I just tested creating an ISO that boots using grub4dos; and it works nicely. I used grub4dos version 0.4.5c (dated ca 2014).
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

belham2

#18 Post by belham2 »

[UPDATE]

OH MY FRIGGGGGGGGGIN GOSH........

...on a hunch, I let the laptop, which is only 5 yrs old, has a reasonably fast Core i3 Intel chip, with 8GB ram, and a SSD drive, and i let the original 'frugal' install sit and the cursor blink as it tried to start its fat a## up........

As I was working on another machine, to extract the .sfs out of the Bismarck initrd, about 17 minutes passed, and suddenly the 'frugal' install laptop decides to init and boot.

Good heavens, Fatdog team, what in heck are trying to do to your loyal sailors on the good ship Fatdog?

17 minutes to friggin' 'frugal' boot. :shock:

You now take the all time record for driving users insane, lol :lol:

Hope I can make this faster, as I am NOT gonna wait 17 minutes every time I boot.

Dang........it may be time to row away in my dingy from Fatdog :cry:

SFR

#19 Post by SFR »

belham2 wrote: 17 minutes to friggin' 'frugal' boot. :shock:
Hey Belham

I believe you've already got a way to work around this problem:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 361#901361

Still, it's incredible bad luck that all your machines have this thing with FD. :shock:

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

jake29

#20 Post by jake29 »

@Billtoo: Try kodi_17_3_avahi_0_6_32-2017.09.03-x86_64-35.sfs available in SFS Manager. It works fine for me.

@jamesbond: Only quirk I have noticed with this beta so far is that /root/Desktop does not appear to influence or reflect actual Desktop.