Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 22 Dec 2014, 05:26
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Classic Pup 2.14X -- Updated 2 series
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 5 of 333 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, ..., 331, 332, 333 Next

What is the best Puppy Version ever, LOL
2.14x
23%
 23%  [ 8 ]
2.14x
11%
 11%  [ 4 ]
2.14x
29%
 29%  [ 10 ]
Other: 2.14x only
35%
 35%  [ 12 ]
Total_votes : 34

ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Wed 27 May 2009, 14:42    Post_subject:  

Here's the load it has, I opened Seamonkey and then closed it after the forum was loaded.
not bad at all.
ttuuxxx
specs.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   3.89 KB
 Viewed   2150 Time(s)

specs.jpg

tubby

PostPosted: Wed 27 May 2009, 15:03    Post_subject: bugs  

Firstly, thanks ttuuxxx for your work on this iso.
I am running it on a full install in on of the partitions on my Dell Inspiron 1150.

Now for a few bugs i have found,
Xorg shows a half screen pattern before loading, the first couple of boots i had to use restart x from the Menu as only the task bar was visible. Settled down after a couple of boots.
Drive icon vanished from desktop, but other drive icons visible and accessible.
CD drive icon visible with no disc in drive.
Error showing on shutdown, unmounting dev/root cannot stat dev/root
no such file or directory.

Now the good so far,
USB wifi works and config saves ok.
All desk icons function ok.
Oh and it runs like a dream.

Good work ttuuxxx, i think i will be using this for the time being. Very Happy
James C

PostPosted: Wed 27 May 2009, 15:26    Post_subject:  

Ttuuxxx, just downloaded, burned and running live on a P3 733mhz/ 256mb ram with 1gb swap.

First impressions, all the basics....internet, display etc. are working out of the box. It appears that 214x is using about 100mb less memory on this box than 4.2.1 or Upup 4.76 running live.( I now have Upup installed on here.)

At the moment with Seamonkey open as I post this Htop is showing about 6% CPU usage, 50mb ram and 0 swap.....not as good as your numbers but not bad.

One question, will Firepup work on 2.14x?

Great job once again.
mawebb88

PostPosted: Wed 27 May 2009, 16:49    Post_subject: Frugal 214x HD install  

Hi

I copied the files:
initrd.gz
pup_214R.sfs
vmlinuz
zdrv_214R.sfs
(and added a IDEHD flag file)

from the mounted iso (within 412)into a subdirectory /mnt/home/puppy214x (on a NTFS partition) and added the following to my menu.lst (I am using grub4dos on a WinXP NTFS partition):

title Puppy 2.1.4X
kernel (hd0,1)/puppy214x/vmlinuz PDEV1=hda2 psubdir=puppy214x pfix=fsck
initrd (hd0,1)/puppy214x/initrd.gz
boot

(same as my working 4.1.2 entry with the sub-directory changed and PDEV1=sda1 changed to PDEV1=hda1)

Booting fails when loading init. I saw earlier that some other cheat codes might be required for 214 to work from a sub-directory but could not figure out exactly what was required. Any clues for the correct entry in menu.lst?
Rgds Mike

Edited_time_total
James C

PostPosted: Wed 27 May 2009, 18:04    Post_subject:  

Quick comparison of resource usage between 2.14x and 4.2.1.

Same conditions as my above post and running 4.2.1 live...still about 6% cpu usage, 146 mb ram usage and 81 mb swap usage.

That is a major difference in ram usage.

EDIT: This was 4.2.1 with "bling" activated.
jduffy22335

PostPosted: Wed 27 May 2009, 19:17    Post_subject: free size of puppy save
Sub_title: Low memory available

While testing on newer machine worked extremely well, but did notice that free memory (puppy save) showed 489M (NTFS volume), even though actual size was 1536M. This limitation did not show when it was actual free ram (no puppy save).
ecomoney

PostPosted: Thu 28 May 2009, 01:04    Post_subject:  

As you may or may not know, I have some experience with 2.14r as it the chosen base for Puppy Linux 2.14r "Phoenix" CE, that I am dutifully yet belatedly returning to co-ordinating (if Lobster hasnt sacked me for my absence). There are quite a few half finished goodies about for 2.14r already.

You have not stated on here what you are wishing to achieve in/by updating 2 series. I will assume then you are aiming to create a Puppy Linux focused on having the same or better level of usability as current Puppy Linux, along with the ability to access the features in the latest versions of applications, but aiming to more fully support the older end of the age spectrum of usable computers.

There are inevitably many reports by people of their equipment becoming unsupported with the newer kernel version puppies, or of slowdowns that inevitably happens as the kernel has evolved and become more complex. Having a definitive, full featured 2.6.18.1 kernel puppy for these users will be welcome.

The link to the additional wireless drivers for 2.14 series is here

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=15573

There is also a small but well formed (and well tested) accelerated graphics card loader for 2 series By Mark Ulrich here that deserves a place.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=7775

Any release of a previous version, to be viable and useable, would also need a supply of well tested applications. For this there is no shortage of Puplets based on 2 series, with applications that have already had considerable testing. Pic and Mix from 2.15ce based Ecopup, the first Lighthouse pup , not to mention 2.14 based Teenpup and Pizzapup to check.

This would be a good opportunity to introduce some more "cutting edge" features/requests such as the pfix=recycle scripts, or even a change of file manager to be more friendly to our ever increasing supply of linux newbies.

Another thing I have remembered is that the NTFS driver may need upgrading in 2.14r to a more recent release.

All the best with this project Ttuuxxx I will be keeping an eye on it.

Sorry, my server is down atm!
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Thu 28 May 2009, 01:42    Post_subject:  

Hi guys anyone with issue on this version, could you please compare it to 2.14.1R that its based on, that way I'll know if its a general 2.14.1R issue or just a new specific issue to this release only Smile
http://214r.minipc.org/pup214R-1.01.iso <-- Original version

Ecomoney I'm basically building a updated base that can compile the latest applications like Gimp, which you couldn't do before. This will breath another 2+yrs life into 2 series. Its not a remaster I'm building, I'm editing the sfs file itself and compiling the latest versions needed to extend the life of 2 series. When I'm finished you can take the release and add change and make a CE out of it, if you wanted to. You've supplied some useful links which is good, but off hand do you know what should be used from those links? in a release like this?

My goal is simple, update 2 series so users like James C who has 256mb of ram and is saving almost 100MB using this over 4.2.1.

If anyone has any fixes, for any of the issues above, please post them Smile
I'm meanwhile I'm going to continue updating some software for the next release. So please lend a hand and find some fixes Smile, If we work as a community this release will be 10X better than If I did it alone.
thanks
ttuuxxx

vg1

PostPosted: Thu 28 May 2009, 04:18    Post_subject:  

mawebb88.

The params [cheatcodes] are different than in the p4 series. Read my post further up.
This is my menu.lst entry:

Code:
title Puppy214R
rootnoverify (hd0,2)/puppy2/pup214R
kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 PMEDIA=satahd PDEV1=sda3 PUPMODE=12 DEV1FS=vfat SFSFILE=vfat,sda3,/puppy2/pup214R/pup_214R.sfs ZDRV=vfat,sda3,/puppy2/pup214R/zdrv_214R.sfs PUPSAVE=vfat,sda3,/puppy2/pup214R/pup_save214R.2fs
# pfix=fsck
initrd /initrd.gz

Adapt this to your setup. Note the use of upper case [in the 2series it made a difference]. Also note sda3, not hda3 [ie if you have a sata drive, as appears to be the case]. Fsck works differently than in later series. Suggest to remove it for now until you get it going.
As said, this works with p214R and should also work with this one, unless something has been changed. I will comment more when I test it.

Edit: in your case it should read:

Code:
title Puppy214X
rootnoverify (hd0,1)/puppy214X
kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 PMEDIA=satahd PDEV1=sda2 PUPMODE=12 SFSFILE=ntfs,sda2,/puppy214X/pup_214R.sfs ZDRV=ntfs,sda2,/puppy214X/zdrv_214R.sfs PUPSAVE=ntfs,sda2,/puppy214X/pup_save.2fs
# pfix=fsck DEV1FS=ntfs
initrd /initrd.gz

Make sure that you have a 'satahd' flag on sda2, which you probably do already. P214R has a problem when booting a frugal install the first time without a pup_save. Either boot from cd first & create a pup_save on exit, or borrow a copy of an existing pup_save & try with that. It probably won't work correctly and you will later discard it, but if you do succeed to boot then with this save_file file in the appropriate dir [and named pup_save.2fs so it is pointed to correctly in the above entry] you should be able to boot with pfix=ram and create a proper pup_save on exit.

Once you get it going you can add DEV1FS=ntfs to the kernel line to gain a sec or two at boot.

Does that help?

vg
tubby

PostPosted: Thu 28 May 2009, 05:24    Post_subject: bugs  

Had to add audio-volume-*-.png's to /usr/local/share/icons for tray display of volume.
Skype will not accept password?, also it seems to run after closing the program using upto 100% processor. Sad
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Thu 28 May 2009, 05:31    Post_subject: Re: bugs  

tubby wrote:
Had to add audio-volume-*-.png's to /usr/local/share/icons for tray display of volume.
Skype will not accept password?, also it seems to run after closing the program using upto 100% processor. Sad

hi tubby thanks for that, Smile the issue with Skype could just be that this version doesn't have flash, did you install flash?
also thanks for the volume heads-up, I'll include the icon with the next release. Smile
ttuuxxx

tubby

PostPosted: Thu 28 May 2009, 09:01    Post_subject: flash  

Hi ttuuxx, i installed flash and an error showed glibc needed. I installed glibc and errors log showed unsupported c or something like that.
Anyway on reboot fatal kernel error with libm.so.6 and boot stopped.
I have just reinstalled and i am starting again.
Smile
seeker

PostPosted: Thu 28 May 2009, 09:47    Post_subject:  

ttuuxxx,

I would really like to test this Puppy. Is there a rush to get it out the door?

In particular I want to see if it will run 3D acceleration on my old built-in ATI. A few months ago I put together a couple of Puppies to play my old Windows games with, through Wine and Dosbox. I tried a lot of versions from 2.02 to 4.12 and found only two that worked for me as frugal installs. 215 CE with MU's 3D drivers (available from the Puppy 215CE menu) and a newer libC and Wine would play my games that needed graphics acceleration, and TipsyPup worked the best for the Dosbox games. Of course 215CE had to be isolated in it's own partition. 215CE seemed to have better video drivers than 214 as I could not get acceleration working correctly with 214.

Seeker
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Thu 28 May 2009, 09:57    Post_subject:  

seeker wrote:
ttuuxxx,

I would really like to test this Puppy. Is there a rush to get it out the door?

In particular I want to see if it will run 3D acceleration on my old built-in ATI. A few months ago I put together a couple of Puppies to play my old Windows games with, through Wine and Dosbox. I tried a lot of versions from 2.02 to 4.12 and found only two that worked for me as frugal installs. 215 CE with MU's 3D drivers (available from the Puppy 215CE menu) and a newer libC and Wine would play my games that needed graphics acceleration, and TipsyPup worked the best for the Dosbox games. Of course 215CE had to be isolated in it's own partition. 215CE seemed to have better video drivers than 214 as I could not get acceleration working correctly with 214.

Seeker

naaa no rush, but I did see in the post from Ecomoney to the links for those extra 3d drivers for 2.14, so the next release I'll add them in, and it should be just as good as 2.15ce if not a bit better with the extras that in it Smile
ttuuxxx

ecomoney

PostPosted: Thu 28 May 2009, 23:23    Post_subject:  

Ttuuxxx wrote:
If we work as a community this release will be 10X better than If I did it alone.

I will say that is an understatement if ever I heard one. It might be ten times better if you helped....we will see.

Quote:
but I did see in the post from Ecomoney to the links for those extra 3d drivers for 2.14, so the next release I'll add them in, and it should be just as good as 2.15ce if not a bit better with the extras that in it

How good it is depends on what good it does. If it were a modern base for a community edition then it would certainly have to include software that is in use by the vast majority of computer users around the world, rather than accelerated graphics that will be of use to some. The later GCC version will allow for a later flash player compatible with Facebook etc.

The link I gave you above is to Mark Ulrichs accelerated graphics configuration wizard. It downloads and configures the correct graphics driver automatically, for many legacy cards. The download locations are hard coded into it. The size is minuscule (82k) compared to the size of the drivers it enables easy access to. Much of the hardware better suited to a 2.6.18.1 kernel will have 128mb RAM or even less. Including all the weighty graphics drivers for various cards in the pup_2.14r would degrade the experience on these types of machines. Enabling easy access to these non-critical but nice to have features is the way to go.

The wizard can be downloaded from here

http://dotpups.de/dotpups/3D-Control-Center

It was also included in 2.15ce, you have a look at the wizard there.

While you are on Marks server, there are many tested apps provided by Mark Ulrich

http://dotpups.de/dotpups

with links to their documentation.

Documentation/relevant threads to the 2.14r project are here

Pup214R v1.00 - Puppy Linux 2.14 Revisited, is now available

Puppy 2.14r SP1 update

Some other miscellaneous goodies

Extras for Puppy 2.12 - 2.16

There was also Puppy "Phoenix CE" which was based from 2.14r V 1.01 (you see how confusing its getting).

This was basically just 2.14r with a few added/changed apps and look. Skipstone was tried as a "lite" browser here, but was buggy.

Heres a download link for my copy, it even has the same iso name.

http://www.ecomoney.eu/puppy/phoenix/puppy-214-remaster.iso

2.14r series had drive icons on the desktop...which adds enormously to puppys "newbie usebility". Many Gtk apps/scripts have moved on a lot since 2.15r/Phoenix was released. Moving these to from 4.xx to a potential community edition would be a matter of simply copying the scripts.

Sorry, my server is down atm!
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 5 of 333 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, ..., 331, 332, 333 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum