29%
Other: 2.14x only
32%

Total votes: 38

Keef

#4921 Post by Keef »

clarf

Thanks!
Actually I was thinking you were the man to ask. I'm surprised I didn't spot that solution before. I'm back on 214X right now, and not having the old problems (that I've spotted yet), but will apply that fix anyway. I'm using my old savefile from previous laptop, but intend trying a clean boot to test.
Opera 12.16 runs nicely, and Seamonkey 2.22.1 ran as well until I added the devx (pet converted to sfs). :roll:

greengeek

#4922 Post by greengeek »

Should the syntax be:

tail -n +2

?
(just because the integer has a + to define beginning of file)

a_salty_dogg

#4923 Post by a_salty_dogg »

clarf wrote:

Hi a_salty_dogg and Keef,

That error has been present on 2.14X from the beginning of his creation. Fortunately for you, some user just found a solution for it recently.

Please check his post:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... start=4878

I hope this information could help you.

Regards,
clarf
MANY thanks, clarf, worked a treat!
Done a couple of test runs and now appears to save all browser and config settings, and machine powers off cleanly at the end of the shutdown cycle.
Thanks due also of course to zekebaby who originally found the solution.

@starhawk, thank you, very kind offer but I'm in England, also seriously hoping this is going to be only a temporary stop-gap until I can source a suitable new comp in my price range (think of a nice round figure, lol).
RAM cards can be picked up for a couple of pounds here too but the problem is locating the larger ones which I'd need for older machines.

Thanks to everyone who jumped in so promptly to help here, case closed!

greengeek

#4924 Post by greengeek »

Just confirmed that the correct syntax is:

tail -n +2

so snapmergepuppy can be made functional by inserting the missing '-n' as an alternative to the awk method.

Later puppies tolerate the '-n' not being there but 2.14 doesn't. Is this a result of some kernel related thing or some old util?

Dewbie

#4925 Post by Dewbie »

greengeek wrote:
Just confirmed that the correct syntax is:

tail -n +2

so snapmergepuppy can be made functional by inserting the missing '-n' as an alternative to the awk method.
Just noticed...

Code: Select all

tail +2
...also appears in /usr/sbin/snapmerge.
Should that also be changed?

greengeek

#4926 Post by greengeek »

Dewbie wrote:Just noticed...

tail +2
...also appears in /usr/sbin/snapmerge.
Should that also be changed?
I don't know under what circumstances that file is used, but I would guess yes, it would be beneficial to change it there also. It seems like it just won't work properly in 2.14x unless the -n is there. (This oddity doesn't seem true of newer puppies...)
(However - if you DO change it in that file you might see some strange outcome if someone has already written or modified some code in 2.14x in order to get around whatever problem the lack of '-n' may have caused in the first place. That is probably not the case - but buyer beware I guess)

eternal-sunshine

#4927 Post by eternal-sunshine »

I am trying out several versions of Linux including Puppys to install on older PCs that were running Windows XP. These will go to older and deserving folk who couldn't afford a new PC/laptop as part of a charity I help with.
I've managed to test every Puppy I thought would be useful except 214X. This is a great shame as 214X seems a strong candidate. Can some kind soul help me out in the following:

1. Is 214X Top-10 the latest version. Is it the best for older (5 years +) PCs or is there a better version eg 214X RC.

2. The Puppy Universal Installer doesn't seem to work so I just did a manual frugal install. But can't get it to boot. I am using grub2 which sees every other Puppys eg lupu 5286, slacko 5.6 Puppy 4311.....

What grub stanza should I use. I can "translate" that to grub2 if you know what to use for grub-legacy.

I apologise if the answer is on one of these 329 pages but it really is too long to go through it all.

Thanks to anyone who comes along.

mikeb

#4928 Post by mikeb »

my puppy 2.12 boot stanza...

kernel (hd0,1)/boot/vmlinuz_212 root=/dev/ram0 max_loop=32 acpi=force
initrd (hd0,1)/boot/initrd_212.gz

you are probably missing the item in bold thats all as the initrd of puppy 2 needs it.

mike

Dewbie

#4929 Post by Dewbie »

eternal-sunshine wrote:
Is 214X Top-10 the latest version.
Yes.
Is it the best for older (5 years +) PCs or is there a better version eg 214X RC.

For that age range, you might want to try Lucid, then Wary, then 2.14x, then 4-series.
2.14x Top-10 is more updated than 4-series, but 4-series is built with newer kernels.
The Puppy Universal Installer doesn't seem to work so I just did a manual frugal install. But can't get it to boot. I am using grub2 which sees every other Puppys eg lupu 5286, slacko 5.6 Puppy 4311.
From what I understand, grub4dos is easier to work with.
You can find it here:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... es-common/

Colonel Panic

#4930 Post by Colonel Panic »

Hi eternal sunshine (nice user name btw!).

Some good suggestions above, but for PCs older than about 2005, I'd recommend that you have a look at Legacy OS 2, which is also based on Puppy 2.14 and has got more features and programs (including a good assortment of games) than any other Puppy distro I know of; it fits on a single CD, but only just.

I'm running (and posting from) it at the moment.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

eternal-sunshine

#4931 Post by eternal-sunshine »

My apologies for the belated reply but other things got in the way.

mikeb:
Thanks but I have been using root=/dev/ram0 for a frugal install. I see you
are using pup212. I believe ttuuxxx made a lot of changes making 214x
including how it boots. But I could be wrong.

Dewbie
Thanks for the suggestion of other puppies. I need to narrow it down and have always liked the look and performance of 214X but if I can't get it to boot with grub2 then that's a deal breaker for me.
I am quite happy with grub-legacy but need it to boot with grub2 for reasons I won't go into here.I am sure I got it working before but don't think it was 214X top 10 but an earlier version.

Colonel Panic
Glad you like the name. I have to say the same about yours!
Tried Legacy OS2 and had even more troubles booting it and it's a bit heavy for some of our PCs here. But if you care to give me your boot stanza so I can "translate" it to grub2 speak I'll give it a go.

This weekend I did some tests and found the following. FWIW I am using a single sata HDD with 4 primary partitions.
sda3 has Linux LXLE with grub2 installed to the MBR.
sda4 I am using to test puppies.

1. 214X Top-10 seems to have a problem with its grub-installer. Even if you select simple it gives you the expert menu and then it just goes into a loop
when you select install. Looks like it's broken.
So there's no way grub2 will boot it (unless you do a manual grub install from CLI.)

2. So I tried an earlier version of 214X ie RC5 which I had lying around. The
grub-installer works ok on this one. But still can't get grub2 to boot either
a full or frugal install.

3. So tried a newer pup 528 and both full and frugal installs worked like a
charm.

4. Then checked inodes and found that the gparted in 214x defaults to 128
inodes but lxle and pup528 use 256 inodes. Could this be the problem?

5. So I installed a copy of pup412 which booted like a charm even though I
noted it's gparted makes 128 inodes and uses the same version as 214X ie 0.3.3

6. Next I deleted LXLE from sda3 and installed 214x RC5 to it and installed
its grub to the MBR. Pup RC5 now booted happily (after minor changes to the boot stanza. Then installed 214X top10 to sda4 and this booted up after I had added it to the grub menu list on sda3.

The grub I used for pup528 was simply (these are the grub legacy versions, I used the grub2 "translation")

title puppy on sda4 FULL install
root (hd0,3)
kernel  /boot/vmlinuz  root=/dev/sda4
and

title puppy on sda4 FRUGAL install
rootnoverify (hd0,3)
kernel  /puppy/vmlinuz  root=/dev/sda4 psubdir=puppy
initrd  /puppy/initrd.gz
For 214x I used

title puppy on sda4 FRUGAL install
rootnoverify (hd0,3)
kernel  /puppy/vmlinuz  root=/dev/ram0 pmedia=sata psubdir=puppy
initrd  /puppy/initrd.gz
7. Also there doesn't seem to be any way to make a save file in a subdirectory. it just plonks it to /dev/sda4/

8. And when I move the save file to the subdirectory it then asks me on boot up which I want to use but shows the save file twice.

Okay...any ideas guys?

It looks as if there was a change between RC5 and Top10 that screwed up the grub installer. Any idea in which of the 10 in-between versions it was?
Hopefully folk have noticed all this before and have a fix.

Grateful for any help as ever.
ET

Colonel Panic

#4932 Post by Colonel Panic »

mikeb wrote:my puppy 2.12 boot stanza...

kernel (hd0,1)/boot/vmlinuz_212 root=/dev/ram0 max_loop=32 acpi=force
initrd (hd0,1)/boot/initrd_212.gz

you are probably missing the item in bold thats all as the initrd of puppy 2 needs it.

mike
Mike, I'm curious to know what the advantage is of running Puppy 2.12 over, say, 2.14 (which can install petfiles, whereas Puppy 2.12 can't)?
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Sun 09 Mar 2014, 21:22, edited 1 time in total.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Colonel Panic

#4933 Post by Colonel Panic »

Eternal Sunshine, here's my boot stanza for OS2 Legacy;

# Linux bootable partition config begins
title Linux (on /dev/hdc1)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdc1 ro vga=normal
# Linux bootable partition config ends

Good luck with translating it to grub2. As you've probably guessed, my user name is a play on the words "kernel panic" of which I've sadly seen more than my share over the years. :)

mikeb

#4934 Post by mikeb »

Mike, I'm curious to know what the advantage is of running Puppy 2.12 over, say, 2.14 (which can install petfiles)?
Erm nostalgia plus its the one I did most of my development on which has been added to later puppies.... 252 sfs file, load on the fly, sfs save option, save folder option, image save option, multiuser with gui login, ...plus did update the core a little to use newer firefox etc,, and a pile of hacked apps and scripts for slickness and convenience.
Pets...well i rarely use them as is but instead open with xarchive.
well you did ask... :D

mike

eternal-sunshine

#4935 Post by eternal-sunshine »

Thanks Colonel, I'll give Legacy a try tomorrow. Incidentally I see you and Mikeb use hdX not sdX so I assume you are not using SATA discs. I wonder if that is why I am having these problems. I'll try on an older IDE based box tomorrow.
Thanks

Colonel Panic

#4936 Post by Colonel Panic »

eternal-sunshine wrote:Thanks Colonel, I'll give Legacy a try tomorrow. Incidentally I see you and Mikeb use hdX not sdX so I assume you are not using SATA discs. I wonder if that is why I am having these problems. I'll try on an older IDE based box tomorrow.
Thanks
That's right eternal (and you're welcome btw). It mightn't just be a case of the SATA hard drive with Legacy though; it doesn't seem to like newer computers full stop.

I couldn't even get it to boot from the CD when I was running my Dell Optiplex (Pentium 4, 3.4 Ghz, 2 MB of RAM).

Colonel Panic

#4937 Post by Colonel Panic »

mikeb wrote:
Mike, I'm curious to know what the advantage is of running Puppy 2.12 over, say, 2.14 (which can install petfiles)?
Erm nostalgia plus its the one I did most of my development on which has been added to later puppies.... 252 sfs file, load on the fly, sfs save option, save folder option, image save option, multiuser with gui login, ...plus did update the core a little to use newer firefox etc,, and a pile of hacked apps and scripts for slickness and convenience.
Pets...well i rarely use them as is but instead open with xarchive.
well you did ask... :D

mike
Thanks for the info, and yes I did ask :) I like the older JWM better than the newer one; the styles seem a lot nicer (peach, XP etc.).

But the main reason for my asking is that, bearing in mind that Puppies generally get lighter and less demanding of system resources the further back you go (and I'm using a thirteen year old computer), I'd like to find out how far back you can go and still have a Puppy which is useable in 2013.

Maybe I should start a thread on the subject?

mikeb

#4938 Post by mikeb »

Could do but its pretty quiet here :)

Well puppy 1.08 works.... firefox 1.5 does hit a few snags on the internet dues to its limited ability to deal with the recent crap that exists there now.
2.02... similar restrictions really.
So 2.12 with a newer gtk2 allows FF 3.6 which still handles it in an acceptable fashion without decending into bloat land.

For daily use I have slax6/nimblex though 4.12 would be the equivalant and is currently the one I would use...Lucid is hiding in the wings.
Flash 10.1 rather than 10.3.... it downloads to /tmp which is handy at times.

ttuuxxx updated most of the core to at least 4.12 or beyond only leaving a limited 2.12 kernel which is ok for single core non sata systems which if thats what you are using its fine...thing is you might as well go for 4+ pups and enjoys a kernel that will support a recent wifi dongle for example. I prefer the all rounded slax kernels so use that on 4.12...never was happy with the retro pic n mix kernel approach.
Xorg is the other factor... 6.8 flew compared to 7+...kms seems to be a PITA for some systems...older nvidia comes to mind and some intel.
The X/xorg in 4.12 (7.3) I found to be a great stable allrounder at least for our gear including a 4 year old netbook. The problem with a monolithic xorg really...support for newer breaks support for older but thats a general linux problem.

As for JWM I hate it with a vengence and the first thing I do with any puppy is change it to a rox/xfce4 hybrid...nearly as light with none of the quirks or menu hacks.

again, you did ask

mike

greengeek

#4939 Post by greengeek »

Colonel Panic wrote:Maybe I should start a thread on the subject?
That would make a very interesting thread. The more I use Puppy the more I realise that newer is sometimes better - but not always. Any puppy is a compromise between a setup that is truly lightweight, and a more longwinded setup that is more easily understood by those who are newcomers (without that compromise I wouldn't have been able to make much of a start with Linux...).

A thread that helped identify how to get the best of the old/fast stuff, combined with the most necessary of the new stuff would be very helpful indeed. It would be very technical of course - but it would be a resource of really interesting ideas. Mike - your post chucked in some good ideas that I'd like to try out. What would it take to persuade you to offer an iso?? :-)

mikeb

#4940 Post by mikeb »

What would it take to persuade you to offer an iso??
a guarantee of your sanity and mine too...I have seen what happens to others lol.

Actually I have been twiddling with 4.12 (some full install fixes) and am in the middle of giving Lucid a once over ...operation rationalised driver handling and full install. 2.12 will probably stay in my museum as is, along with 2.02 and 1.08. In other words once done I will wrap up into fresh iso's and upload as I usually do.

Theres always something to fiddle with.... and new ideas pop up...one was a mksquashfs with fast compression for example... I feel the need to use it somewhere. :)

mike