2.14x
11%
2.14x
29%
Other: 2.14x only
32%

Total votes: 38

bentonbee

help on another puppy series 2 Barry did?

#4876 Post by bentonbee »

Where is the download to the puppy version Barry was talking about
in his blog?-

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=00779

Dewbie

#4877 Post by Dewbie »

bentonbee wrote:
Where is the download to the puppy version Barry was talking about in his blog?
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=00779
Retro-Puppy 218 alpha is no longer available.

bentonbee

#4878 Post by bentonbee »

Thank you for letting me know.
Mike

zekebaby

Savefile bug report and fix

#4879 Post by zekebaby »

I decided to install 2.14X Top10 on my vintage 1999 Panasonic Toughbook CF-T2 - Welcome to Jurassic Computing, I had played around with 2.14X as a live distro before, but never tried a frugal install. Works great except . . .

I found a bug! My savefile seems to keep most of my settings, but not all of them (transmission speed settings for example). Hmmmm. I also noticed the following error flash on my screen at shutdown:

Code: Select all

tail: cannot open `+2' for reading: No such file or directory
Here's the fix. Even though 'tail --help' says that 'tail +N' is supported, it's not (try it on the command line if you don't believe me). This is what's causing the savefile to not capture everything. SImply change all instances of:

tail +2
in /usr/sbin/snapmergepuppy to:

awk 'NR>=2'
and the problem is gone.

starhawk

#4880 Post by starhawk »

That toughbook -- if the specs I found are correct -- should run a lot of newer Puppies / Puplets just fine. You don't need ClassicPup for a Pentium M! (It's really more for P2/P3 hardware -- and then only if you're quite patient.)

I'll not make a mess by recommending other Puplets in this thread (unless ttuuuxxx says it's OK), but if you want to PM me I'll gladly give you a list of ones to try. I will say that most of the Puppies / Puplets with an active download link will work absolutely fine as long as they don't mention a little thing called "PAE" that doesn't work with (most) Pentium M CPUs.

By the way -- I was playing around with some hardware a couple months ago that had a Celeron M 600MHz (yeah, they made one that slow -- it's the ULV version) and wound up using one of the REALLY recent Puplets on it because the only things that would boot were either (a) even older than ClassicPup or (b) brand spankin' new. Ah, fun with weird hardware (lol)...

greengeek

Re: Savefile bug report and fix

#4881 Post by greengeek »

zekebaby wrote:Here's the fix. Even though 'tail --help' says that 'tail +N' is supported, it's not (try it on the command line if you don't believe me). This is what's causing the savefile to not capture everything
I wonder if some other puppies might be affected by this too. I must have a closer look at this on my Slacko53 machine which refuses to keep it's network settings consistently. Thanks zeke

yellodog

#4882 Post by yellodog »

starhawk wrote:That toughbook -- if the specs I found are correct -- should run a lot of newer Puppies / Puplets just fine. You don't need ClassicPup for a Pentium M! (It's really more for P2/P3 hardware -- and then only if you're quite patient.)
Nah, 2.14X takes my Athlon 1.8 Ghz built in 2003 to its limits, every time I watch Youtube-clips.
I'm very happy, I can though.
So, 2.14X is definitely for at least a bit more recent machines, which had about 256 MB RAM at the time (like mine).

I also tried 2.14X on a PII - it does boot, but it is not usable at all.

Dewbie

#4883 Post by Dewbie »

yellodog wrote:
Have a look at my last post over here.
Are you experiencing something similar?

yellodog

#4884 Post by yellodog »

Dewbie wrote:yellodog wrote:
Have a look at my last post over here.
Are you experiencing something similar?
Can't tell, because the PII (bought in 1998) had to go I think two years ago.
The oldest PC I use is 10 years old now ... which is also really ancient. I suggest getting at least such a machine. Matter of just a few bucks today.

tubeguy

#4885 Post by tubeguy »

ttuuxxx wrote:also guys if you see the lung thing after my post, its basically I stopped smoking after 25+ years and started vaping
Fellow vaper here. :wink:
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

clarf

Re: Savefile bug report and fix

#4886 Post by clarf »

zekebaby wrote:I decided to install 2.14X Top10 on my vintage 1999 Panasonic Toughbook CF-T2 - Welcome to Jurassic Computing, I had played around with 2.14X as a live distro before, but never tried a frugal install. Works great except . . .

I found a bug! My savefile seems to keep most of my settings, but not all of them (transmission speed settings for example). Hmmmm. I also noticed the following error flash on my screen at shutdown:

tail: cannot open `+2' for reading: No such file or directory
Here's the fix. Even though 'tail --help' says that 'tail +N' is supported, it's not (try it on the command line if you don't believe me). This is what's causing the savefile to not capture everything. SImply change all instances of:

tail +2
in /usr/sbin/snapmergepuppy to:

awk 'NR>=2'
and the problem is gone.
Nice found zeke

clarf

#4887 Post by clarf »

yellodog wrote:
starhawk wrote:That toughbook -- if the specs I found are correct -- should run a lot of newer Puppies / Puplets just fine. You don't need ClassicPup for a Pentium M! (It's really more for P2/P3 hardware -- and then only if you're quite patient.)
Nah, 2.14X takes my Athlon 1.8 Ghz built in 2003 to its limits, every time I watch Youtube-clips.
I'm very happy, I can though.
So, 2.14X is definitely for at least a bit more recent machines, which had about 256 MB RAM at the time (like mine).

Hi yellodog,

The slow problem playing youtube videos on Puppy 2.14X could be related to the old Xorg version used. You could try to tune the xorg configuration file, please read my post about the test I made on 2.14X http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=50428.

About the hardware aim of Classic Puppy and the reason that later releases need more resources, please check this brief discussion: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... start=3793

Regards,
clarf

yellodog

#4888 Post by yellodog »

Thank you, clarf. I'm gonna check this out.

clarf

#4889 Post by clarf »

Hi,

I have searched for the individual kernel patchs used on 2.6.18.X, just found some notes on http://puppylinux.com/development/compilekernel.htm:

"Puppy 2.12 has kernel 2.6.18.1 and has three patches; squashfs, default console loglevel and via shutdown fix."

BarryK additional notes:

"loglevel -- for Puppy quiet bootup
dpath -- maybe, for dazuko
ksize -- maybe, for aufs" (Classic puppy 2.14X use unionfs, not needed)

1. dpath:
  • http://fossies.org/linux/privat/dazuko- ... ME.linux26

Note: This document indicates that the patch is only needed when running an SMP kernel and __d_path() is not exported, although 2.6.18.X kernels on Puppy 2 versions are not compiled with SMP these patches where included, maybe for other applications requirements or older dazuko versions...

Note2: I found the reason BarryK compiled the driver to not use its inbuilt function (http://puppylinux.com/news/news213-214.htm), the pre-patched kernel can be configured for SMP:

"I also compiled the Dazuko device driver. This is used by some virus scanner and intrusion detection software, and the source package has examples that show how someone can write their own software to use it.
    I configured with '--mapfile=/usr/src/linux-2.6.18.1/System.map --enable-syscalls --disable-local-dpath' -- the latter option means that the device driver will use the '__d_path' function exported from the kernel rather than its own inbuilt function, which apparently is required for an SMP kernel (the inbuilt __d_path function is unsafe with a SMP kernel)."

Patch attached (from dazuko-2.3.9.tar.gz).

"Usage:
    patch /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/fs/dcache.c patch_dpath.diff"
2. Loglevel:
  • Information from: http://bkhome.org/sources/kernel-2.6.21 ... quired.txt
    -----------

"I edited kernel/printk.c:

/* We show everything that is MORE important than this.. */
    #define MINIMUM_CONSOLE_LOGLEVEL 1 /* Minimum loglevel we let people use */
    /* BK change from 7 to 3...
    #define DEFAULT_CONSOLE_LOGLEVEL 7 */ /* anything MORE serious than KERN_DEBUG */
    #define DEFAULT_CONSOLE_LOGLEVEL 3"
3. ksize, required by aufs

• Patch attached.

"Usage:
    patch -p0 < ../ksize.patch"
4. via shutdown fix:
  • Well it was a hard one to find, the history of this patch on Puppy starts in this thread: http://puppylinux.com/news/news211-212.htm,
    Ted Dog
    Saturday, November 4, 2006, 08:38 AM
    One of my three VIA C3 800Mz machine errors with this same bug listed here.
    http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/10/25/251
    found in v2.12beta1, so FYI it is NOT a puppy compile bug.
    But it kills the use of one of my computers

Ted Dog
    Saturday, November 4, 2006, 08:43 AM
    fixed here
    http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/10/17/62
    Basically this kernel patch is used to remove a previous patch that was added on 2.6.18 kernel, and later definitively removed for 2.6.18.2 and 2.6.19 kernels (https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3691). For this reason this patch is not used on later Puppys kernels and not included in BarryK "linux-2.6.18.8-src-patched_loglevel_squashfs_unionfs.tar.gz" file.

Patch attached.

"Usage:
    patch quirks.c < via.patch"
Regards,
Attachments
via.patch.zip
via patch for 2.6.18.1 kernel only
(778 Bytes) Downloaded 403 times
ksize.patch.zip
ksize patch, required by Aufs
(321 Bytes) Downloaded 395 times
patch_dpath.zip
patch to modify the fs/dcache.c file
(446 Bytes) Downloaded 447 times

yellodog

#4890 Post by yellodog »

clarf wrote:The slow problem playing youtube videos on Puppy 2.14X could be related to the old Xorg version used. You could try to tune the xorg configuration file, please read my post about the test I made on 2.14X http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=50428.
Finally found time to test it. Adding these lines to xorg.conf seems to have a positive effect indeed (graphics chip: S3 ProSavage, interesting, Puppy 2.14X supports this at all!). At least it feels so. I also use to look at the CPU-monitor in the sys-tray, CPU-usage seems to be generally lower watching clips. Hard to tell though, because sometimes it goes up again too ... After all, I think, it did something. So, thank you very much!

clarf

#4891 Post by clarf »

yellodog wrote:
clarf wrote:The slow problem playing youtube videos on Puppy 2.14X could be related to the old Xorg version used. You could try to tune the xorg configuration file, please read my post about the test I made on 2.14X http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=50428.
Finally found time to test it. Adding these lines to xorg.conf seems to have a positive effect indeed (graphics chip: S3 ProSavage, interesting, Puppy 2.14X supports this at all!). At least it feels so. I also use to look at the CPU-monitor in the sys-tray, CPU-usage seems to be generally lower watching clips. Hard to tell though, because sometimes it goes up again too ... After all, I think, it did something. So, thank you very much!
Hi yellodog,

I`m pleased to know that these xorg settings helped you...

I attach a new pet that includes an updated xorgwizard script that automatically adds to the xorg.conf file, the composite extensions and the safe acceleration options for video.

In this way if you lose your custom xorg.conf file or after reboot you will have these options enabled by default.

The new options are>

Option "RenderAccel" "true"
Option "backingstore" "true"
Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "true"

All 214X users should try it... and of course feedback about the change.

Regards,
clarf
Attachments
xorgwizard_composite-enabled.pet
xorgwizard updated script with composite extension and device acceleration options
(18.94 KiB) Downloaded 516 times

starhawk

#4892 Post by starhawk »

ttuuuxxx, you sure have created one cheeky bastard of a Puplet :lol:

I have a Neoware CA19 thin client (basically a small, low-power 'computer' whose only real purpose is to display the contents of a virtual machine on a server somewhere) that I've been trying and trying and trying to find a puplet light enough to run well on it... and failing with all my usual stuff.

Specs of this thin client --
400MHz (!) VIA Eden CPU
VIA CN700 chipset (with horrible integrated graphics)
1gig RAM
8gb Microdrive (CompactFlash-size HDD)

Modifications I have done to it --
Added two USB ports
Added a fan header and chipset fan (with good reason!)
Upped the RAM from IIRC 256meg
Replaced the original 128meg (!) "Disk On Module" solid state drive (with little more than IE6 on it -- seriously, it was MS' version of Chrome OS!) with an IDE-to-CompactFlash adapter on a cable, and the previously-mentioned Microdrive.

Now, every time in the past that I have tried ClassicPup, it has been slow slow slow. I don't know why. I've never known why. I'm not that technical. I have consistently, in fact, warned people that I've never known ClassicPup to be fast in any way.

All that just changed. I booted Top10 from an external USB optical drive successfully, after a little futzing with the boot options. I was AMAZED at how fast it was -- while only slightly faster than some other Pups I could name (Akita, its predecessor Puplite 5.0, ThinSlacko, and the BabyBones versions of Wary 53 and Racy 53 all come to mind), it was /faster/ -- and that's what surprised me.

I really don't understand how you've created a Pup (or, for that matter, OS) that runs slowly on new hardware and yet reasonably speedy on the older stuff. That's completely backwards to how it should be! Congratulations, you've made quite a paradox with this Pup.

The only things I DON'T like right now --
- no grub4dos. It's idiotproof, which means it's perfect for me :P
- doesn't want to recognize my Rosewill RNX-EasyN1 USB wifi adapter -- the rt2870sta driver is reported as supporting this model of card according to WikiDevi, and is in ClassicPup, but does not in fact seem to work... but then, it also doesn't work in the other Pups I've tried -- so perhaps the adapter has decided to retire itself, rather than anything Puppy-related.

Dewbie

#4893 Post by Dewbie »

The only things I DON'T like right now --
- no grub4dos. It's idiotproof, which means it's perfect for me
Try the ones from here.
If I recall correctly, they work with 2.14x.

starhawk

#4894 Post by starhawk »

Sorry, should've clarified. I booted into Akira in slow-mo and used its grub4dos.

More questions --

Anyone try QtWeb on ClassicPup...? Does ClassicPup come with Flash built in (and what version, if so)? If not, what's the most recent I can run? I realize this heap I've got isn't going to respond well to YouTube exposure but I'd like to try...

...ah, but my WiFi dongle doesn't work (as mentioned in my last post) so I've got to get another before I can find out.

Dewbie

#4895 Post by Dewbie »

From ttuuxxx, page 1:
updated to the latest libflashplayer 10.3.183.7 an extra 2 MB larger than the last one from a yr ago grrr.