2.14x
29%
Other: 2.14x only
32%

Total votes: 38

MinHundHettePerro

#4141 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

clarf wrote:Hi MHHP,

I agree that's the right approach to achieve maximum compatibility with old hardware and keep the 214X kernel original essence.

I also tried to find the individual kernel patches by their name, but I had no luck. I could not find the loglevel, via, dpath or ksize patches.

I just found newer unionfs releases for 2.6.18.X but as I described in the upgrade process I have to test those versions, and hope the Unix socket problem is solved and track any other inconsistency.

Did you have any luck with the patches sources? How is the compare process going on?

Greetings,
clarf
Hello, clarf :)!
I've started diffing the available sources (original, pup216, pup214 ...) and tracking down the files that were patched by the different patches. I think it should be possible to reverse engineer the patches for the ksize-, dpath- and via-patches, as I have patched sources with one, two and three of these patches applied respectively.
The loglevel patch is, from what I gather, sometimes also called the printk.c patch, and is described well in Iguleders kernel compile instructions, where it's called lower_verbosity-patch :).

Anyway, I'm still onto it, (but, have strayed away the last few days, trying to install CRUX 8)) and think it should be doable. A helluva job it seems, but I'm enjoying it :shock: :) :D.

Cheers :)/
MHHP
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

big_bass

#4142 Post by big_bass »

ttuuxxx
added lots of code to the gtk theme and came up with menu background in the menu. do you guys like it?

Hey Jeff looks great !
as you know I have been forked from puppy current for a few years

and by you using 214 basically you are keeping a fork going too

our methods differ but the fact is we have updated
a puppy version.Since then I have moved on to a" new base system"

I would hope that you could repeat the JWM theme against
any official JWM versions that way any work you do here and
improve the looks might get added to the mainstream JWM

*ADDED 2-18-2011 info I would like to try your JWM with the backgrounds in the menu
it looks cool 8)

Joe

eternal-sunshine

214 doesnt see my sata drives

#4143 Post by eternal-sunshine »

Been away from the puppy scene for a while but back and just seen 214x top6 (why top???) which looks nice but...

Tried to install it as a frugal to a laptop and it doesn't see the hard drive (a sata drive). So I tried it in another box with ide drives and it sees them okay. Then I tried other versions of 214x back to 214X6 and none of them recognise the laptop hard drive!
Tried puppy 412 and lupu 520 and they all see the sata drive just fine.
What's going on? :roll:

Foroweb

#4144 Post by Foroweb »

Hello Guys, i am running the 2.14 distro from live cd in mi laptop, is a toshiba satellite a10. But can not recognise the wireless adapter, a dlink usb adapter, model DWA-110 with chipset RT73 (reference this in a blog), i have the driver for windows but am a noobie in linux world and i do not know how to install.

Can you help me in the instalation process?

Thank you very much.

tempestuous

#4145 Post by tempestuous »

Foroweb wrote:i have the driver for windows but am a noobie in linux world and i do not know how to install.
Please don't use that kludgey Windows-driver workaround. It's quite unhelpful to the Linux community.

The D-Link DWA-110 is supported by the rt73 Linux driver, but the standard rt73 driver in the Puppy 2.x series is too old to support that particular device ID (07D1:3C07).
Your solution is to install the upgraded rt73 Ralink driver from here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 232#316232
After installing that dotpet, reboot.

ttuuxxx

Re: 214 doesnt see my sata drives

#4146 Post by ttuuxxx »

eternal-sunshine wrote:Been away from the puppy scene for a while but back and just seen 214x top6 (why top???) which looks nice but...

Tried to install it as a frugal to a laptop and it doesn't see the hard drive (a sata drive). So I tried it in another box with ide drives and it sees them okay. Then I tried other versions of 214x back to 214X6 and none of them recognise the laptop hard drive!
Tried puppy 412 and lupu 520 and they all see the sata drive just fine.
What's going on? :roll:
I would say off the top of my head its a kernel issue, 2.14X uses an older kernel, hmmm have you tried any of the 2 series like 2.17, a few pages back there was a few post about updating the same kernel version number with a newer sfs from 4 series, likely the newer kernel 2.6.18.8 from woof series 2 could backport the sata modules. I have a few sata desktop drives and they are found by 2.14X. But I don't have any laptops that have sata drives. So it would be impossible to test. This weekend when I'm not working I'll give it a shot and see.

ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

eternal-sunshine

#4147 Post by eternal-sunshine »

Thanks ttuuxxx. When I get home I'll try to find a 2.17 and try that. I'll also try to find the references to this "a few pages back" but this is an enormous thread. :shock:
Thanks for your help

Foroweb

#4148 Post by Foroweb »

tempestuous wrote:Your solution is to install the upgraded rt73 Ralink driver from here -
Thank you very much, i download the file and i will to try to install in the night.

I have a question, where i put the file for the instalation and how to install the driver? with the petmanager?

eternal-sunshine

#4149 Post by eternal-sunshine »

Hello ttuuxxx,
I tried using pup 2.17 and it worked, that is it recognised my sata drive in the laptop. As I said all other pups I have tried based on 412, 431, 520 recognise the laptop drive except your 214X. It's a real shame as I so dearly wanted to use 214X in this machine. Is there anything that can be done?
Thank you.

Foroweb

#4150 Post by Foroweb »

tempestuous wrote:Your solution is to install the upgraded rt73 Ralink driver from here -
Hi, install the driver in my laptop, but the device not work or i can not see where i can do to work it.

I revised the USBdevice aplication and the adapter is detected, but show red color font, also i have connected a kingston flash memory, and show it a black color and work correctly.

In the options menu from USBdevice aplication i have a configure button but only show me the information of the wireless adapter, i do not know if the information is correct but at least show the device.

The Puppy version is 2.14 and i am running from live cd.

Any idea to do?

Thank you for your help, best regards...

MinHundHettePerro

#4151 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

eternal-sunshine wrote:Hello ttuuxxx,
I tried using pup 2.17 and it worked, that is it recognised my sata drive in the laptop. As I said all other pups I have tried based on 412, 431, 520 recognise the laptop drive except your 214X. It's a real shame as I so dearly wanted to use 214X in this machine. Is there anything that can be done?
Thank you.
Hello :)!
Pup217.1 had K2.6.21.5, while pup214[R|X] has K2.6.18.1. I just checked (with my less knowledgeable tinkering mind :shock:) the kernel config for K2.6.18.1 and couldn't see any obvious module needed for SATA being excluded from pup214's kernel (save for backports), libpata (sata-pata) is enabled and all the (at the time) available sata drivers are enabled.

I dunno, perhaps it'd be possible to dump the K2.6.21.5 (including the initrd modules) onto 214X :? :? :shock: :oops: :P :).

FWIW & Cheers :)/
MHHP

eternal-sunshine

#4152 Post by eternal-sunshine »

Hi MHHP,
I am not sure I understand your reply as you are obviously much more familiar with puppy than I but thanks anyway.

I have no idea how anyone can " dump the K2.6.21.5 (including the initrd modules) onto 214X" but if someone can it would be really appreciated from at least this laptop.
Thanks for your help. :)

MinHundHettePerro

#4153 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

eternal-sunshine wrote:Hi MHHP,
I am not sure I understand your reply as you are obviously much more familiar with puppy than I but thanks anyway.

I have no idea how anyone can " dump the K2.6.21.5 (including the initrd modules) onto 214X" but if someone can it would be really appreciated from at least this laptop.
Thanks for your help. :)
Hi :)!
Sorry for the obscure and non-clear reply, the quote above was more intended for ttuuxxx, clarf et al.,the nestors of 214X.
Late at night here.
Cheers :)/MHHP

eternal-sunshine

#4154 Post by eternal-sunshine »

MHHP
No apologies needed. You have always been a very helpful guy and if your comments can help ttuuxxx and friends to fix this then it is a great help to me.
:D

tempestuous

#4155 Post by tempestuous »

Foroweb wrote:I revised the USBdevice aplication and the adapter is detected
It's difficult to help when you use non-standard terms. I'm guessing you mean
Menu > System > System Status and Config > HardInfo hardware information

If so, I really need to know the "Vendor" and Product ID" values reported for your wifi device.
Foroweb wrote:Hi, install the driver in my laptop
I hope you properly installed the dotpet - it's dead easy - browse to the dotpet with ROX, then just click on the file.
Foroweb wrote:i can not see where i can do to work it.
I hope you're using the Network Wizard.

Foroweb

#4156 Post by Foroweb »

tempestuous wrote:
Foroweb wrote:I revised the USBdevice aplication and the adapter is detected
It's difficult to help when you use non-standard terms. I'm guessing you mean
Menu > System > System Status and Config > HardInfo hardware information

If so, I really need to know the "Vendor" and Product ID" values reported for your wifi device.
Hi, you are right, i used the aplication that is in Menu->System->USBView USB information, i will to try the options that you say, i supose that in this option (HardInfo) i can see the Vendor and product id, i will have note this information and i will comment later.

Thank you very much for your attention, best regards.

BongoPlayer

Is Classic Pup 2.14X-top6 an option for me?

#4157 Post by BongoPlayer »

Hello there,

As you can see from my "signature", I'm working without a hard drive.

With Puppy Linux 4.3.1. (k2.6.30.5) Live CD, an 8GB USB key, an ESS 2898 (ESS 56T-PI) modem and a dialup connection through a "FreeNet" provider I can do online banking, Hotmail, read newspapers etc.

Would Classic Pup 2.14X-top6 work on my "system"?

Thanks,

jp

P.S. I have no knowledge of programming at all.
Asus K7V, AMD Athlon, 256MB RAM, ATI AGP 3DRage IIC,
HL-DT-ST-8400B (40x12x40), Lexmark OptraE+
Modem: PCI, ES2898S/ES2818P (ES56T-PI)
Hard Drives: Maxtor (3GB) & Maxtor (1.96GB)
USB Pen Drive (8GB)

Dewbie

#4158 Post by Dewbie »

The only way to find out is to try it.

BongoPlayer

Is Classic Pup 2.14X-top6 an option for me?

#4159 Post by BongoPlayer »

Hello again,

I downloaded (Classic Pup) 2.14X-top6.iso, checked the md5sum, "burned" the iso to a CD-RW disk and booted it.

1) No Boot Screen
2) The "F2" Option is almost invisible.
3) The "F3" Option doesn't work.
4) The Clock gives the wrong time
5) Using the "Connect Wizard", I selected the "ttyS_ESSO" but that didn't work.
6) Looked in /DEV and found a Broken Symbolic Link to ttyS_ESSO called Modem (but no ttyS_ESSO).

ttuuxxx has obviously put a lot of time and effort into Classic Pup 2.14X (by the way, congrats to him and his wife on the recent birth of their daughter), and I hope the above are helpful in fine-tuning it.

jp
Asus K7V, AMD Athlon, 256MB RAM, ATI AGP 3DRage IIC,
HL-DT-ST-8400B (40x12x40), Lexmark OptraE+
Modem: PCI, ES2898S/ES2818P (ES56T-PI)
Hard Drives: Maxtor (3GB) & Maxtor (1.96GB)
USB Pen Drive (8GB)

Foroweb

#4160 Post by Foroweb »

tempestuous wrote:
Foroweb wrote:
Here is the information:

Device information
Product 802.11 bg WLAN
Manufacturer Ralink
Port #1
Speed 480 Mbits/s
MaxCurrent 300 mA
Misc
USBVersion 2.0
Revision 0.01
Class 0x0
Vandor 0x7d1