CUPS-PDF set as default for connecting HP printer

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
mcduling

CUPS-PDF set as default for connecting HP printer

#1 Post by mcduling »

I have an HP 3720 on my wifi network but my laptop (running Xenialpup on the hard drive) can't connect. When I click on systems, Cups Manage Printing then Manage Printers and Printing Tasks, I get an Abiword doc called Cups 2.1.3 (the links on this doc also don't work). I think my system thinks the default printer is CUPS-PDF.
How do I get rid of this so I am able to get the CUPS web page that allows me to search for and select my network printer?

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

What if you run cups_shell? Furthermore, review the second half of this post.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

davids45

Set html viewer to a browser not Abiword?

#3 Post by davids45 »

G'day mcduling,

Reads like you have Abiword set as your default html viewer - to set up CUPS for a printer, a browser is required to access the localhost via an html file (I'm guessing this, based on my own problems setting up a wifi-networked printer in all my Pups).

Open your Default Applications Chooser in the 'Set Up Menu' and see what is set as your html viewer. If it's Abiword, try re-setting this to a browser (Seamonkey?) then run the CUPS setup in the Menu.

David S.

Semme

#4 Post by Semme »

:? I kinda thought -- nevermind...
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<