How to Install Brother Printers and Scanners

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
redandwhitestripes

#91 Post by redandwhitestripes »

Bingo, that's done it.

Thank you rcrsn51, I've learnt a lot from you and this task.

Re:
"So I added a couple of varients, the latter of which is the address my browser automatically redirects to when I enter the former (though it still gives me a 404 reply)."

The ip address my printer gives from its physical CP is 192.168.001.040 , when I type this in to my browser, it automatically changes to 192.168.1.32, I've no idea why, but at least I don't have to worry now :D

Thanks again, you ever travel to Thailand, the first beer is on me.
Last edited by redandwhitestripes on Wed 27 Mar 2013, 00:47, edited 2 times in total.

rcrsn51

#92 Post by rcrsn51 »

Bingo, that's done it.
How? With which Puppy?

What Connection URI are you using?

If you let CUPS auto-detect the printer, do you get socket:// or lpd:// ?

Did you need to use the hosts file?

redandwhitestripes

#93 Post by redandwhitestripes »

With the same Puppy (Lucid) and I can print with the firewall switched on.

I let CUPS auto-detect and the connection it gives me is lpd://dhcppc7/BINARY_P1

I did use the hosts file and entered the addy you gave me, without the leading noughts. Before I did that it wouldn't work.

NB: I just deleted the printer and repeated auto-detect with CUPS. It only works with the firewall switched off.

rcrsn51

#94 Post by rcrsn51 »

Deleted.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Fri 26 Feb 2016, 16:26, edited 1 time in total.

ferretgrandpa

Many Thanks

#95 Post by ferretgrandpa »

rcrsn51, Thanks for your time and energy.
Your instructions worked.
I am running Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 on a 16 gb flash drive, usually plugged into a Gateway NV52 laptop. Printer is a Brother HL 2240D ( don't have the printer and the OS drive plugged into the same el-cheapo usb hub on start up). I'd been doing my printing from the Dark Side, primarily because that's where my Kindle for PC and Nook for PC as well as my Calibre reside. I wanted to move some of the operations over to Puppy, just because I want to.
While I'll have to change some printer settings (binding offset is not present), I think this will work well.
Thanks Again

rcrsn51

#96 Post by rcrsn51 »

@ferretgrandpa: Your HL2240D has a duplexing option. There have been reports that duplexing doesn't work in some Puppies because of their version of Ghostscript. Your Lucid 528 should be fine, as should recent Slackos. But Precise could be a problem.

I would be interested in getting some test results on this. If your laptop has a working optical drive, it would be sufficient to boot off the Live CD, install the Brother driver and run a duplex job.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Fri 26 Feb 2016, 16:27, edited 1 time in total.

ferretgrandpa

Brother 2240D and Puppy 5.2.8

#97 Post by ferretgrandpa »

I'll give this a try.
Like I said, printer works and does duplex, just the 'binding option' is missing.
Just a nuisance problem as there are work arounds.

I'll let you know

I guess that Puppy just doesn't do offsets.
I tried the .pet (works nice), no binding offsets
I removed the printer, rebooted, installed with just your .pet, works great, much easier than before, but still no binding offsets.
Bounced over to the DarkSide, and yes, the binding offsets are in the printer settings. I thought that I'd verify that as in Puppy I'm using Libre Office 3.5 and over in Win I'm using Libre 4.03 and Apache OO 4.0. So the Win version of the brother printer driver/app has binding offsets and the Linux version does not.
Awful hard to fix what ain't there.
Thanks for the try

I also tried from the LiveCD, (Lupu Libre 5.2.8.005) with the same results.
I thought I'd found it, but it was in Libre Office 3.5 layout and it didn't work at all.

redandwhitestripes

#98 Post by redandwhitestripes »

Is there a way to use a printer/scanner machine's scanner functionality via wifi? In my case a Brother MFCJ430W. I've installed the brscan4 driver but puppy still detects nothing (other than the printer) and when I use the machine to scan it always says "check connection", although it is already online.

Running Precise on a frugal install

WoodLark

#99 Post by WoodLark »

I am attempting to instal a Brother MFC-7860DW in Slacko 5.5.

I tried to use the instructions in this thread. However, the Debbi-1.1.pet fails to install on my computer. Is there a different version I need to be using?

rcrsn51

#100 Post by rcrsn51 »

I checked in Slacko 5.6 and the debbi-1.1.pet installed fine.

Please describe step-by-step what you are doing.

How do you know that it did not install properly?

WoodLark

#101 Post by WoodLark »

I downloaded the .pet from this thread, then I clicked on the .pet. It asked if I wanted to install so I clicked on ok. After a few seconds a dialogue box popped up saying the .pet had failed to install.

Thinking the .pet might have been damaged in the download, I tried to install directly from the thread. Got same result.

rcrsn51

#102 Post by rcrsn51 »

I tried this in Slacko 5.5 using its default Firefox browser and the install worked fine.

What browser are you using? Could you try this in a different Puppy? Maybe your setup has gotten corrupted.

I was going to make a driver PET for your MFC-7860DW and save you the trouble of running debbi. But you need to resolve this issue first.

WoodLark

#103 Post by WoodLark »

I am using Seamonkey 2.20, but I do not see what the browser would have to with whether or not a .pet would install as the browser is not even open during the installation.

I have installed other software from .pet packages and have had no problems.

Here is the exact message I get from the Puppy Installer:

"Error, package debbi-1.1.pet failed to install."

This is the first time I have ever seen the message.

If the browser does somehow affect the process, I think Firefox is still somewhere on my system and could be reactivated.

I currently, sort of, have the printer working. I selected the driver for the Brother DCP-8045D from the list already on the system. This works mostly, except that the last page does not always print on multipage documents.

Thank you for all the help you are giving me!

WoodLark

#104 Post by WoodLark »

I just noticed that you suggest I try a different Puppy.

I would really like to be using Puppy Precise, but that Puppy does not see my hard drives; I suspect that it is missing the drivers for my HD controller.

rcrsn51

#105 Post by rcrsn51 »

Boot off the Slacko CD. At the initial 5-second pause, type "puppy pfix=ram". This will give you a temporary clean install.

Try to download and install debbi.

WoodLark

#106 Post by WoodLark »

That worked! I booted of the CD with "puppy pfix=ram", ran debbi-1.1.pet, then moved the file debbi to a location outside of my pupsave file. I rebooted in my normal manner, and moved debbi back into the /root/my-applications/bin folder.

I then proceeded to follow the thread instructions. Installation went great.

I did notice that the top margins on some pages appeared to slip, but I suspect that is in the mechanics of the printer and has little to do with the drivers.

Thanks again for your help!

rcrsn51

#107 Post by rcrsn51 »

Excellent.
I did notice that the top margins on some pages appeared to slip,

The brMFC7860DWrc file has the PaperType set to A4. Have you changed this to Letter? See the instructions on Page 1.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Fri 26 Feb 2016, 16:28, edited 1 time in total.

WoodLark

#108 Post by WoodLark »

Thank you for the .pet. I tried it as you suggested, and it works fine.

I had changed the paper size from A4 to Letter as you recommended.

After you brought it up, I even tried going back to A4 to see if it would help, but it made no difference.

earl

Brother Printer HL-2170W

#109 Post by earl »

@rcrsn51

I have migrated to 5.7.1 on a Dell Inspiron laptop, since the last time I posted. I owe you a over due thank you for your help on installing my Brother printer on an old gateway that finally gave up the ghost...

I - this time - followed your detailed instructions on how to build a HL-2170W.ppd file and was quite successful.

My next project is to build a printer / scanner ppd.

I continue to run off a thumb drive, on a switched usb expander where I also have a wireless mouse and a panda wireless wifi thingy.

If anyone needs the HL-2170W.ppd or when I'm succussful with creating a MFC-J4410DW.ppd, just let me know!

rcrsn51

#110 Post by rcrsn51 »

@earl: Glad to hear that you got your HL-2170W working.

Just to be clear, the "debbi" procedure does more than create a PPD file. It also installs all the printer driver content that you downloaded in the .DEB packages. A PPD file is just a configuration text file used by CUPS. It is only one part of the driver installation.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Fri 26 Feb 2016, 16:29, edited 1 time in total.