How to Install Brother Printers and Scanners

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
eowens2

#196 Post by eowens2 »

The "internal server error" has nothing to do with the Brother driver and everything to do with the CUPS setup in Quirky. Are you doing this from a clean install? Have you added any other packages like web browsers? Are you using a 32bit Quirky?

You should post your problem in the Quirky thread.
Attempt to add printer was done on a fresh install of Quirky Tahr 6.0.5, which is a 32-bit version of Quirky.

The only package added was debbi-1.2.pet. Specifically no browsers were added.

O.K., I'll give the Quirky thread a try.

eowens2

#197 Post by eowens2 »

@rcrsn51, I have made an interesting observation on the problem that I described in my post of 26 July above regarding installation of an MFC-L2700DW Brother printer on Quirky Tahr (which is 32-bit).

I made another fresh install of quirky Tahr. To it I copied debbi-1.2.pet; then I updated the oackage manager and installed HPLIP from the Ubuntu repositories. I also downloaded mfcl2700dwlpr-3.2.0-1.i386.deb and mfcl2700dwcupswrapper-3.2.0-1.i386.deb from the Brother site.

Opening CUPS, I installed an HP 6500 E710n-z using HPLIP's driver for the printer. Test print was fine. I printed out test files from Abiword and Geany, which were fine. So the CUPS setup in Quirky, at least in regards to HPLIP, seems to be functional at this point.

Then I used debbi with Brother's lpr and cupswrapper files, trying to create the MFC-L2700DW Brother driver, and the errors reported were the same as described above, including the "Internal Server Error"!

And as one might expect, I could no longer print to the HP machine from Abiword or Geany.

Might Brother's mfcl2700dwlpr-3.2.0-1.i386.deb and mfcl2700dwcupswrapper-3.2.0-1.i386.deb somehow be interacting with CUPS to disable it?

rcrsn51

#198 Post by rcrsn51 »

eowens2 wrote:Might Brother's mfcl2700dwlpr-3.2.0-1.i386.deb and mfcl2700dwcupswrapper-3.2.0-1.i386.deb somehow be interacting with CUPS to disable it?
That's a reasonable conclusion, but I have no idea why and I don't have a Quirky setup to investigate.

But here is a potential fix. In regular Tahrpup (where it works) use debbi-pet-maker to convert the Debian packages into a PET. Then install the PET in Quirky. You will need a temporary clean install of Tahrpup for debbi-pet-maker to work properly. Otherwise, it will get confused by an existing install of the driver.

[Edit] I tested this method on an ISObooter flash drive install of 32bit Quirky April and it didn't break CUPS.

eowens2

#199 Post by eowens2 »

@rcrsn51, so far this technique on Quirky does not seem to be working for me. This terminal will not let me scroll back and copy the error messages. I am on my 3rd practice install of Tahrpup...I'll go more slowly and write down the errors as they occur.

I'll get back to you.

eowens2

#200 Post by eowens2 »

Problem: Getting a working printer driver for Quirky Tahr (32-bit) for my Brother MFC-L2700DW.

OK, after wandering in computer wilderness for a couple of days, mostly due to self-inflicted injuries, I am finally ready to report on my attempt at using debbi-pet-maker in Tahrpup 6.0.3 (also 32-bit) to create a MFC-L2700DW.pet to (hopefully) install the driver in Quirky Tahr.

Both debbi-1.1 and debbi-1.2 can create functioning MFC-L2700DW drivers for the Tahrpup in conjunction with “printernamelpr.deb

rcrsn51

#201 Post by rcrsn51 »

No. Since the PET didn't work in Tahrpup, it certainly wasn't going to work in Quirky.

However, you have already reported that installing the printer in Tahrpup with debbi works. Debbi-pet-maker runs debbi on the two DEBs and collects all the installed files into a PET. So I don't know why the resulting install would now fail.

paulski

Brother MFC-J5910DW

#202 Post by paulski »

Thanks to this fantastic thread and some other posts from rcrsn51 on the forum I was able to finally get my Brother MFC-J5910DW to work for me.

I'll save the story of 48hours of greif and anguish and cut to what worked:
32 Bit - in good ol Lucid Lupu Puppy 528 (yes its old but it loves a lot of my old hardware). USB install

The instructions at the beginning of this thread basically worked.
I did it without debbi in Lucid:

1.Went to the brother website
http://support.brother.com/g/b/download ... all&os=128
and downloaded the deb files:
mfcj5910dwlpr-3.0.0-1.i386.deb
mfcj5910dwcupswrapper-3.0.0-1.i386.deb
and double clicked on each one to install them

2.Went to /opt/brother/printers/mfc####/ where the cups wrapper script is.
made a symlink to it to save typing - called it cw
then opened a terminal there - did

Code: Select all

sh cw -i
it outputted:

lpadmin -p MFCJ5910DW -E -v usb://Brother/MFC-J5910DW -P /usr/share/cups/model/Brother/brother_mfcj5910dw_printer_en.ppd
3.Went to cups admin on the browser:

http://localhost:631/

Selected the printer - maintenance print test page WORKED! (did a small dance)

Now for my current everyday system....
Fatdog 621 (64bit) Network install ethernet
Although this system is already superseeded it works better for me on a lot of programs and devices so I just had to make it work here.

1. Mount 32 bit libs using an sfs file (see fatdog repos i tend to use the 32bit slacko sfs

2. Mounted devx too to compile (optional)

3. Installed debbi.pet from the fatdog repo

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/pets/600/debbi-1.1.pet

4. Had the following downloaded from the brother website:

mfcj5910dwlpr-3.0.0-1.i386.deb
mfcj5910dwcupswrapper-3.0.0-1.i386.deb
mfcj5910dw_cupswrapper_GPL_source_3.0.0-1.tar.gz
brscan4-0.4.3-2.amd64.deb
brscan-skey-0.2.4-1.amd64.deb

5. in that folder where I put them all did in a terminal in that folder

debbi ####.deb 
for each of the deb files starting with the ##lpr## file
and ran the cupswrapper script as done in step 2 for the lucid version above

6. I unpacked and compiled the source file to at least get another 64bit binary--- copied it to the same location as the 32bit components from the deb
(may not be necessary as you are going to be using 32bit stuff anyway (no choice))

7. Thanks to a post elsewhere:
in etc/init.d/71cups-32
change line 168 to be

start32 /usr/sbin/cupsd
8. THIS STEP WAS THE BIG KEY!
In Fatdog control panel/System /Manage Servers and Services
Turn off cups (normal 64bit) also for startup
Start cups32 and if you need it all the time also check it on for startup

9. For a network install ..
add in etc/hosts a line

192.168.2.52 BRN30055C174C16
(Where the above ip address is the one your printer is on and the BRN number matches the one you see in cups (see 10))

10. Go to cups admin http://localhost:631/
and try to print a testpage
For me it worked yuhuu!

Scanner
Those two debian packages you installed in step 4 with brscan have all the gear in them already
1. In a terminal

brsaneconfig4 -a name=pks model=MFC-J5910DW ip=192.168.2.52
(change the name pks to whatever you want and the ip address to the one matching your printer)

then to check

scanimage --l
You should see some info matching your device there

Then in xsane, choose usb (even though its network)
try to scan but I noticed a bug
whatever you do don't select viewer but change it to save in the top right dialog.

or for command line here are a few examples: (work good in scripts)

scanimage -d 'brother4:net1;dev0' --mode Gray --format=tiff --resolution 100 --source FlatBed >scan.tif
or

scanimage -v -d 'brother4:net1;dev0' --mode '24bit Color' --format=tiff --resolution 300 --source FlatBed >scan.tif
You can even go further and command the document feeder from the command line
It just won't scan properly without some decent defined options like mode Gray etc.

----
Or you can have a look at my pet here:
brother-mfcj5910dw-fd620-x86_64.pet
https://app.box.com/s/oz52sur5ak5t3p5b25j9ce35i9y1cg1s
Its basically set up just for my system but it should not be too hard to modify.

To use it you may need to run the cupswrapper script again (Step 2 )
You may need to change the line in etc/hosts to reflect your ip address and the correct BRN number (you should see it in cups)
And Step 8 to turn on cups32.
and you need to click on find printer in cups admin
and for the scanner do step 1 reflecting your IP and the name you want to use.

Hope it helps someone else to get their similar device up and running.
Thanks to rcrsn51 for your hard work here.

oui

woof-CE needs you

#203 Post by oui »

Hi

I write now out the original Lubuntu Trusty Tahr 64, the puppy like form of original Ubuntu.

Why?

Only

because it was not possible for me to start my brother HL-2035 with some original Puppy... I did test more than 15..20 different 32 and 64 Puppy's and spend days for that search and I am not a new comer! But I print really rarely, and did use about all the "Puppy time" a Canon ink printer making never problem excepted at the time of the 4.nn Puppy's: so, I have no experience in matter of printer in Linux as I use today about 10 years principally Puppy... My "new" (it is now very old) canon scanner works immediately in xsane in each Puppy, excepted that it is not always possible to find some adequate ocr for Puppy for all frequent languages. My old scanner from HP did not work at all in Linux; really unfortunate as it was one of those special letter format scanner being able to scann page after page some really bigger documents as advertising posters and to rebuild them after that using sofware...

my post in this thread today is to incite you to think about the declaration of the guy's from woof-CE:
woof-CE needs you
Iguleder wrote:Hello everyone,

woof-CE needs you!

Great things are happening in the "testing" branch of woof-CE:
- Support for building tahrpup64
- Support for packages of more distros and more distro versions
- Speed improvements, new looks and new features in PPM
- Support for new kernels
- UI improvements
- Bug fixes
- New translations
- ... and more

Many Puppy developers produce their puplets by remastering an existing Puppy built using woof-CE, so they don't receive all those new features. For example, if someone builds a puplet from tahrpup 6.0.2, it won't benefit from the features added to woof-CE after tahrpup 6.0.2 was released. Also, this means the additions to woof-CE are less battle-tested.

It's sad that puplets remain oudated, while all these features are already available and waiting for someone to take advantage of them. And they don't cost money, so why not? :lol:

I want YOU to use woof-CE. It's always good to have more working hands and thinking minds in a community project like this.

Therefore, I encourage you:
- If your puplet includes non-trivial changes (i.e it's more than just a different wallpaper), build it using woof-CE and not by remastering. This way, you gain new features and have much more control: you can change everything in your puplet. To use woof-CE:

git clone https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/woof-CE.git -b testing
cd woof-CE
./merge2out
cd ../woof-out*

./0setup
./1download
./2createpackages
./3builddistro-Z
See? It's simple. If you're new to woof-CE, try to build tahrpup (x86, x86, ubuntu, trusty) first. Then, edit files under woof-distro/x86/ubuntu/trusty until you get the knack of it.
- Contribute all bug fixes in your puplets back to woof-CE, so other puplet developers don't have to fix them again
- To contribute all changes you do to woof-CE, using a git pull request (see GitHub's documentation). This way, the entire Puppy ecosystem benefits from them.
- Maintain your puplet's configuration files under woof-distro directly in woof-CE. This way, you have all the features of modern version control (full history, the ability to track changes, branches, the ability to revert changes and see when they happened ...) while making it easier for others to join the development.
- If you're serious about Puppy development, join the woof-CE organization in GitHub.

etc.......

Cheers,
Dima
already forgotten?

it is nonsens to continue a thread over 200 answers along to solve a problem for only one brand of hardware making

absolutely no problem in the original ubuntu

(I did re install Ubuntu trusty twice time last friday: one time with Unity, that I don't like at all, and after that, one time with Lubuntu trusty, trusty because Lubuntu is not available for all processors in all versions...) my printer makes no problem! Immediately recognized, you can pass the different pages from cups, and only change in the last one the printing size "letter" in "A4" for European people: it is all...

The software from Puppy is wrong! Puppy did destroy the good settings from Ubuntu using old Puppy cram being not really operable. In WoofCE or manually is egal - it is irresponsible in my eyes!

200 answers and nobody wakes up :x ...

Is that the work of a community?

Note: The job of Julien Lavergne, the actual French developer of Lubuntu, is about exactly the same as the job of main developers of Puppy new versions like TahrPup or TahrPup64: Reduce Ubuntu and it's installation in such kind don't to introduce lose of really existent abilities... It is different from the comparable operation through own binaries produced from scratch out sources from authors of the software and app's!
Attachments
MyLubuntuDesktopModifiedWithApparentJWMhiddenLateralTray.jpg
(45.42 KiB) Downloaded 1602 times

gyro

#204 Post by gyro »

@rcrsn51,

Thanks for this.
I just installed a Brother MFC-J6510DW on my network, and using your clear instructions, successfully got printing and scanning working in Tahrpup 6.0.3.

There's just one thing:
Since I had to add a line like this to "/etc/hosts" for printing:

192.168.2.15 BRN_B7DD77
instead of using a command like this to enable scanning:

brsaneconfig4 -a name=Brother model=MFC-J430W ip=192.168.2.15
I used a command like this:

brsaneconfig4 -a name=Brother model=MFC-J430W nodename=BRN_B7DD77
By using the nodename, if I change the IP address of the printer I only have to change the entry in "/etc/hosts" and both printing and scanning are fixed.

gyro

greengeek

#205 Post by greengeek »

gyro wrote:By using the nodename, if I change the IP address of the printer I only have to change the entry in "/etc/hosts" and both printing and scanning are fixed.
gyro
Could you post the relevant part of your hosts file please? I don't have any experience of using that and I am keen to see the format of the entry you describe.
cheers.

gyro

#206 Post by gyro »

greengeek wrote:Could you post the relevant part of your hosts file please? I don't have any experience of using that and I am keen to see the format of the entry you describe.
cheers.
Add a line like this one:

192.168.2.15 BRN_B7DD77
Each line consists of an IP address and a nodename separated by a space character.
gyro

rcrsn51

#207 Post by rcrsn51 »

The main post now has instructions for installing a Brother printer in TahrPup64.

rcrsn51

#208 Post by rcrsn51 »

There is a new procedure for installing Brother printers in Tahrpup64. It removes the need for a 32bit compatibility SFS package and replaces it with a much smaller PET.

See the instructions in the main post.

[Edit] Updated to v1.1.

Some feedback would be nice.

jaylcee

#209 Post by jaylcee »

Hello there,

i just tried to install my Brother DCP-J4110DW : I created a pet and installed it. My printer is recognized in CUPS but when I want to print a test page, no reaction from the printer itself.

What can I do please?

watchdog

#210 Post by watchdog »

jaylcee wrote: i just tried to install my Brother DCP-J4110DW : I created a pet and installed it. My printer is recognized in CUPS but when I want to print a test page, no reaction from the printer itself.
What puppy are you using? Is it 32 or 64 bit?

perdido

#211 Post by perdido »

POST DELETED
Last edited by perdido on Fri 11 Jan 2019, 18:22, edited 3 times in total.

ozsouth

#212 Post by ozsouth »

@perdido - I made a .pet to offer wireless as a scanner option, See: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 44#1012644

perdido

#213 Post by perdido »

Hi ozsouth,

Thanks, will be looking at that today or tomorrow and will report back.

Am I the first 32-bit guinea pig? :)

Edit: Going to set up a fresh upupbb-18.05, install the xsaneshellwireless.pet , then install the printer drivers using debbi, run the brscancfg tool install, then see if it goes without having to monkey with it.

Shoot, I have wondered why there was no wireless option in xsane but was content to just have it working.

I appreciate the .pet! and will get back on this....

rcrsn51

#214 Post by rcrsn51 »

Are you sure that your model number is MFC-J4500DW, not MFC-J450DW.

What should appear in the "Unknown" field is the vendor:product USB ID code for this unit.

Since there is no reference to a J4500 in the /opt/brother/scanner/brscan4/models4 lists, the config tool uses "Unknown".

perdido

#215 Post by perdido »

rcrsn51 wrote:Are you sure that your model number is MFC-J4500DW, not MFC-J450DW.

What should appear in the "Unknown" field is the vendor:product USB ID code for this unit.

Since there is no reference to a J4500 in the /opt/brother/scanner/brscan4/models4 lists, the config tool uses "Unknown".
Hi rcrsn51,

Good catch, seems I stuck an extra zero in there when I ran the brsaneconfig4 tool back in 2014 when installing to precise5.7.1

That indicates that when I ran the brsaneconfig4 tool in upupbb-18.05 I probably included the correct printer model
and got that extra bit of info in the brsanenetdevice4.cfg (will have to verify this)

Makes more questions than answers though. I have been using the above mentioned brsanenetdevice4.cfg in precise puppy
for 4 years....seems when I installed to upupbb-18.05 I ~probably had the name correct.... and it could not see the scanner.

I'm going to have to document what I do when reinstalling when I test the xsaneshellwireless.pet from ozsouth,

What I have established so far is that sane has been working in precise with the wrong printer model in brsanenetdevice4.cfg
since the initial install. It also works in bionic beaver with the wrong printer model in brsanenetdevice4.cfg.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.