How to Install Brother Printers and Scanners

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
edoc

#181 Post by edoc »

He;s usually been able to sort things for me in the past.

I'll have to look for any notes I may have kept from when I got printing working in the old Lighthouse64.

Thanks ...
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

DanielSong39

#182 Post by DanielSong39 »

Brother HL-2275DW only has 32-bit support for Debian; you need a Fedora-based distribution to get the 64-bit support.

http://support.brother.com/g/s/id/linux ... edirect=on

You may be out of luck.

edoc

#183 Post by edoc »

That cannot be correct.

I already have access to the Brother printer from my 64-bit install of the older version of Lighthouse64-602.

I just need to know how to get it to work with this newer version.

Later today I will search in the slight hope that I saved some notes as to how I got it working on the older 64-bit install.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

starhawk

#184 Post by starhawk »

Somewhere on this forum is a utility called rpm2pet that may be of use. I recall that it needs another utility called unrpm...

If you can't get ahold of it here I have both and can re-up.

But they are 32bit PETs so I cannot guarantee function in a 64bit Pup.

edoc

#185 Post by edoc »

I have the ppd file and it's on this computer.

I've compared the cupsd.conf cupsd.confLPD and printer.confn and they are the same - other than the UUID in printers.conf

Not sure where to look next but the answer has to be somewhere on my old version of Lighthouse64 laptop ...
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

KEubus

brother-MFC 7360N

#186 Post by KEubus »

Hello rcrsn51,

My old HP-MFC broke down and choose a brotherMFC7360N
My working Puppy was Playdayz's Lucid 511/528
and later on Rerwins's supersulu_x (all frugal installs).
My MFC didnot not -and as I read somewhere will not- work under Lucids.
So I had to go for another puppy capable of printing and scanning on my brotherMFC7360N.

rcrsn51's debbi-1.1.pet, the brother-drivers
and his instructions are working perfectly:
brscan4-0.4.2-1.i386.deb
mfc7360nlpr-2.1.0-1.i386.deb
cupswrapperMFC7360N-2.0.4-2.i386.deb
and sometimes libpoppler3_0.8.7-4_i386.deb

I made 2 mfc.sfs
one with the first 2 deb's and one with all 4
und used 2 methods
1) PADS104 by rsh
2) dir2sfs (by 01micko ?? not sure)

I reported te broken links in PADS here
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 288#849288
the dir2sfs-method looked ok
files were at the right places as I installed thed the DEB-files
bur did not print or scan

In the Murga-forum I read
you deliverd a few printer-installer-pets.
You did not choose an installer.sfs-file
You delivered a .pet-file as an installer.
Could you describe a howto ?

I would prefer to modify an noobishly quote (Nooby, 2012) here in full agreement
"I have lots of time and lacks of knowledge."

groetjes, greetings & Grüße
k.eubus

DanielSong39

#187 Post by DanielSong39 »

At the end of the day I installed the 32-bit version of Quirky; eventually got the printer working.

edoc

#188 Post by edoc »

:oops:
Last edited by edoc on Thu 18 Jun 2015, 02:02, edited 1 time in total.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

paule@adam.com.au

#189 Post by paule@adam.com.au »

Hi

Have installed cupswrapper and print driver and cups can see printer yet when i print it says " printer not connected"

I am new to puppy and believe it is looking for usb connection??

The printer is a wireless printer , can u help

starhawk

#190 Post by starhawk »

I cannot help, and right now, nobody can.

I could help if I knew what Puppy you were using, what printer you were using, and how you attempted to install the printer.

I'm sorry if I sound abrupt. It is simply very frustrating to have someone pop up and say "help me stuff's broken" while simultaneously providing essentially no useful information outside of the fact that something doesn't work where they want/need it.

At least you posted in the right place... well, one of the two posts is. (Posting in multiple places about the same issue is not cool around here, BTW. You won't get sacked, but Flash, our resident moderator, might send you an invoice if he needs to buy ibuprofen for the headache.)

RickGT351

Brother install on FatDog 64 700

#191 Post by RickGT351 »

I am trying to install my Brother DCP-J125 on FatDog 64. I have installed the 32bit devx. The catch is that PETs don't work on Fatdog so I can't used Debbi. I have tried using the procedure on the brother help page but dpkg keeps complaining about missing files

RickGT351

#192 Post by RickGT351 »

Starhawk re
If you will not assist me further with this printer, please recommend a replacement.

My budget is $80, not one penny higher. I will be shopping online at Staples. I am largely brand-agnostic as far as the printer itself, but it must be a wirelessly-networked multifunction (printer, scanner, and copier; I don't care either way about fax capability) and it absolutely must (for my mother) support a scan-directly-to-Evernote feature.

Here is the relevant search URL --> http://www.staples.com/Printers/cat_CL1 ... =0&max=80
It's generally acknowledged that Hewlett Packard models have tremendous support. Epsons tend to work well too, and Brother generally supplies its own Linux drivers. Before you buy check out any candidates at the OpenPrinting site here.

eowens2

#193 Post by eowens2 »

I would like some advice on how to get my new Brother MFC-L2700DW printer working on Quirky Tahr.

I am using Quirky Tahr 6.0.5 [CUPS 1.7.1] on an Acer c710 laptop. The md5sums for tahr-6.0.5.usfs.xz and install-quirky-to-partition.sh were both correct. I am using debbi from debbi-1.2.pet.

Here is my attempt at lpr install and the response:

Code: Select all

# debbi mfcl2700dwlpr-3.2.0-1.i386.deb
chown: unknown user lp
Post-install script completed!
Done!
#
And here is my attempt at cupswrapper install and the response:

Code: Select all

# debbi mfcl2700dwcupswrapper-3.2.0-1.i386.deb
lpadmin -p MFCL2700DW -E -v usb://dev/usb/lp0 -P /usr/share/ppd/brother/brother-MFCL2700DW-cups-en.ppd
lpadmin: Request Entity Too Large
Post-install script completed!
Done!
# 
The process created PPD files in /opt/brother/Printers, /usr/share/cups/model, and /usr/share/ppd, but when I then open CUPS and click on "Adding Printers and Classes" I get "Internal Server Error" and the process halts!

BK's blog says that early versions of Quirky had printing problems due to the non-inclusion of the packages "cups-core-drivers" and "cups-filters-core-drivers" by Ubuntu, but these packages were present in my copy of Quirky Tahr-6.0.5.

Has anyone else encountered this? Any suggestions as to how to get the Brother MFC-L2700DW working?

I should add that the printer works fine under Tahrpup 6.0.5 [CUPS 1.4.8] on the same machine and under Windows 7 on a Dell Laptop.

Any help would be appreciated.

eowens2

#194 Post by eowens2 »

Duplicate Post - Excuse Me!

rcrsn51

#195 Post by rcrsn51 »

The "internal server error" has nothing to do with the Brother driver and everything to do with the CUPS setup in Quirky. Are you doing this from a clean install? Have you added any other packages like web browsers? Are you using a 32bit Quirky?

You should post your problem in the Quirky thread.

eowens2

#196 Post by eowens2 »

The "internal server error" has nothing to do with the Brother driver and everything to do with the CUPS setup in Quirky. Are you doing this from a clean install? Have you added any other packages like web browsers? Are you using a 32bit Quirky?

You should post your problem in the Quirky thread.
Attempt to add printer was done on a fresh install of Quirky Tahr 6.0.5, which is a 32-bit version of Quirky.

The only package added was debbi-1.2.pet. Specifically no browsers were added.

O.K., I'll give the Quirky thread a try.

eowens2

#197 Post by eowens2 »

@rcrsn51, I have made an interesting observation on the problem that I described in my post of 26 July above regarding installation of an MFC-L2700DW Brother printer on Quirky Tahr (which is 32-bit).

I made another fresh install of quirky Tahr. To it I copied debbi-1.2.pet; then I updated the oackage manager and installed HPLIP from the Ubuntu repositories. I also downloaded mfcl2700dwlpr-3.2.0-1.i386.deb and mfcl2700dwcupswrapper-3.2.0-1.i386.deb from the Brother site.

Opening CUPS, I installed an HP 6500 E710n-z using HPLIP's driver for the printer. Test print was fine. I printed out test files from Abiword and Geany, which were fine. So the CUPS setup in Quirky, at least in regards to HPLIP, seems to be functional at this point.

Then I used debbi with Brother's lpr and cupswrapper files, trying to create the MFC-L2700DW Brother driver, and the errors reported were the same as described above, including the "Internal Server Error"!

And as one might expect, I could no longer print to the HP machine from Abiword or Geany.

Might Brother's mfcl2700dwlpr-3.2.0-1.i386.deb and mfcl2700dwcupswrapper-3.2.0-1.i386.deb somehow be interacting with CUPS to disable it?

rcrsn51

#198 Post by rcrsn51 »

eowens2 wrote:Might Brother's mfcl2700dwlpr-3.2.0-1.i386.deb and mfcl2700dwcupswrapper-3.2.0-1.i386.deb somehow be interacting with CUPS to disable it?
That's a reasonable conclusion, but I have no idea why and I don't have a Quirky setup to investigate.

But here is a potential fix. In regular Tahrpup (where it works) use debbi-pet-maker to convert the Debian packages into a PET. Then install the PET in Quirky. You will need a temporary clean install of Tahrpup for debbi-pet-maker to work properly. Otherwise, it will get confused by an existing install of the driver.

[Edit] I tested this method on an ISObooter flash drive install of 32bit Quirky April and it didn't break CUPS.

eowens2

#199 Post by eowens2 »

@rcrsn51, so far this technique on Quirky does not seem to be working for me. This terminal will not let me scroll back and copy the error messages. I am on my 3rd practice install of Tahrpup...I'll go more slowly and write down the errors as they occur.

I'll get back to you.

eowens2

#200 Post by eowens2 »

Problem: Getting a working printer driver for Quirky Tahr (32-bit) for my Brother MFC-L2700DW.

OK, after wandering in computer wilderness for a couple of days, mostly due to self-inflicted injuries, I am finally ready to report on my attempt at using debbi-pet-maker in Tahrpup 6.0.3 (also 32-bit) to create a MFC-L2700DW.pet to (hopefully) install the driver in Quirky Tahr.

Both debbi-1.1 and debbi-1.2 can create functioning MFC-L2700DW drivers for the Tahrpup in conjunction with “printernamelpr.deb