Upup Alpha7

This is for bugs in a version of Puppy 5.x that is still under development. If you have bugs for a released version of Puppy, please post them in the forum's main Bugs section, not here. Bugs are when a program does not function as intended. Usability issues are not bugs.
BarryK
Puppy Master

#31 Post by BarryK »

Rerwin,
Sorry about that, I must have forgotten to update the linux kernel PET package after making changes in it.

There is now an "alpha8", broken into 5 small files which is great for those on dialup who would like to play with this new pup:

http://puppylinux.com/blog/?viewDetailed=00748

This "alpha8" fixes some bugs.
But not rerwin's 3G modem stuff, you still need the PET package he posted earlier in this thread.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#32 Post by Flash »

The sound problem is fixed. Burniso2cd burned alpha 7 to my multisession DVD+RW. Then I rebooted, saving the settings from alpha 6. Sound works on my computer now. No new problems found - yet. Good job!
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

James C

#33 Post by James C »

Don't know if this is a bug or not, but it was strange.

Going to install alpha 7 on an old P3 733mhz, 256 mb ram machine. Booted the live cd and went to Gparted to partition the hard drive.The main partition went fine but Gparted kept having errors when creating the swap.

No problem, out comes the Gparted cd, partition the drive and then install Puppy.After completing the full installation, I tried Gparted again and it would just continuously run without detecting anything.

Earlier tonight, after adding Pets and Ubuntu packages, Gparted decides to work correctly.

Strange..........

rjbrewer

#34 Post by rjbrewer »

Also noticed gparted not working when I did a frugal and
full install.

Wonder if Ubuntu gparted inode size will cause any problems.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

tronkel

#35 Post by tronkel »

No charting in Gnumeric. Comes up with an error about missing glade library
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

mysticmarks

libs

#36 Post by mysticmarks »

hey guys,
I built with a?-a5 and now a7. The major issue i've had has been the lack of libs post build. this is in every build (slack,deb,etc.) my a5 deb build has been stable enough for regular use.

@barryk- have you thought about keeping ppm just for puppy, and instead having the build specs call out for the appropriate command line pkg manager? i installed dpkg comline, no deps, runs fine. If this was done, then a small script could be designed for each type of build and be fed into the comline to build appropriately for each one, right?

also, anyone building with the scripts, you DO know to just use the package files from previous woof builds right?(most of you do im sure) forget dl time over and over.

mysticmarks

libs

#37 Post by mysticmarks »

hey guys,
I built with a?-a5 and now a7. The major issue i've had has been the lack of libs post build. this is in every build (slack,deb,etc.) my a5 deb build has been stable enough for regular use.

@barryk- have you thought about keeping ppm just for puppy, and instead having the build specs call out for the appropriate command line pkg manager? i installed dpkg comline, no deps, runs fine. If this was done, then a small script could be designed for each type of build and be fed into the comline to build appropriately for each one, right?

also, anyone building with the scripts, you DO know to just use the package files from previous woof builds right?(most of you do im sure) forget dl time over and over.

jfkfield2

Wireless on laptops

#38 Post by jfkfield2 »

I had an older laptop but I upgraded to a Toshiba M305D. Since then, about 6 or 9 months ago maybe a year, I haven't been able to get wireless to work. I tried all the drivers, I had the patience to try but no dice. Finally with this 4.71 release it's working. I rather liked the new wireless start up function better. I'm using WPA protection and it was a breeze.

rerwin

Correction to Intel536 initialzation script

#39 Post by rerwin »

I discovered a typo in the Intel 536 modem initialization script and have attached a replacement firmware tarball, to go into /lib/modules/all-firmware. The impact of the typo is that an already-selected modem is not respected.
Richard
Attachments
intel536ep.tar.gz
Place this tarball in /lib/modules/all-firmware.
(4.17 KiB) Downloaded 1401 times

mysticmarks

#40 Post by mysticmarks »

odd, a5 deb build of ntfs3g-fuse was fine, a7 deb build fails? not sure here. I wont get more specific yet. Hey Barry, i haven't seen many posts, so im pretty sure you are getting overwhelmed with input on woof. I know you were choosing to go upup for your own reasons, but at beta1 are you going to try to build each version?
I understand you have bandwidth issues. I have built each very quick(-3 hours), and would be willing to help with the compile time, by building the base iso and devx, then uploading, etc if it would expidite your efforts in any way. This would at least give you a starting environment to work with instead of having to dl and build each. Maybe im crazy? ;)

BarryK
Puppy Master

#41 Post by BarryK »

I have very limited Internet access right now. I am responding to all problems on my blog.

yes, I would like to do other builds -- I want to build Karmic Puppy soon. When I get good Internet access.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

Firefox

#42 Post by Firefox »

I downloaded the 5 files and concatenated them.
I stll get locked out of a few computers with a
loading.isolinux drive error 20, ax=4800 , drives EF.
or slight variations - so whats the problem here?.
I really would like to try this new woof pup but wow is it hard going.
Thanks for thinking of us dial up users.

plaguedogs

woof build system

#43 Post by plaguedogs »

i have built (tried to build) a few spups with woof alpha7, i normally do not watch my terminal scroll. but this time i did during createpackages script i noticed these

Code: Select all

processing glibc-2.7-i486-17.tgz
./hack-install.sh: line 82: chroot: command not found
./hack-install.sh: line 192: cd: bin: No such file or directory
./hack-install.sh: line 193: cd: bin: No such file or directory
Processing glibc
 processing glibc-solibs-2.7-i486-17.tgz
 processing glibc-zoneinfo-2.7-noarch-17.tgz
Postprocessing with packages-templates/glibc
./hack-install.sh: line 2: ldconfig: command not found
./hack-install.sh: line 12: chroot: command not found
./hack-install.sh: line 20: chroot: command not found

heres some trminal output showing chroot and uname

# chroot
BusyBox v1.8.2 (2007-11-30 09:20:42 GMT-8) multi-call binary

Usage: chroot NEWROOT [COMMAND...]

Run COMMAND with root directory set to NEWROOT

# uname -a
Linux puppypc 2.6.27.7 #1 SMP Mon Nov 24 13:32:01 Local time zone must be set--see zic  i686 GNU/Linux
ive run the script a few times and made a few tiny isos with no sfs but that was because of mksquashfs4 missing.

heres a few more errors i found during ./2createpackages

processing binutils-2.18.50.0.9-i486-1.tgz
tar: A lone zero block at 20600

about 20 of these tar errors

processing cyrus-sasl-2.1.23-i486-1cf.tgz
cat: etc/rc.d/rc.saslauthd.new: No such file or directory
and a similar number of these type of no dir errors

processing xf86-video-vesa-1.3.0-i486-2.tgz
 ...excluding ./packages-tgz/xf86-video-vga-4.1.0-i486-2.tgz
a few packages were excluded but im assuming this is normal operation

there is a slackware puppy with smp in my near future
Last edited by plaguedogs on Tue 19 May 2009, 02:25, edited 1 time in total.

Ray MK

#44 Post by Ray MK »

Hi

big_bass has made a 4.1.2slaxer_pup 12.2 k2.6.27.7 SMP enabled puppy, it's in derivitives section.

Load Htop and/or pwidgets and it displays multicore readout nicely.

Wow's un-named 4.11 puplet k2.6.28.5 is also SMP enabled, as is aragon's 4.2smp pup k2.6.29.1 and MU's newyear pup.

If memory serves me correctly FatDog is also SMP enabled.

Hope that is useful.

Best regards - Ray