printing from Puppy 4.2.1

Using applications, configuring, problems
ravensrest

printing from Puppy 4.2.1

#1 Post by ravensrest »

I just upgraded to Puppy 4.2.1. and successfully installed my Lexmark E312 laser printer using CUPS. Now I can not print from some of my apps. I CAN print from Inkscape, any of the OpenOffice apps, Abiword, Seamonkey, and GIMP (if I use Print with Gutenburg).

I cannot print from Geany or Leafpad no matter what I do. And I can print from MTPaint if I set the printer to /usr/bin/lpr %f, but I get no interface -- just direct to printer (I think that is correct when using the command line?).

When I ask Geany, Leafpad, or GIMP to print, I get a screen that offers only the 'Print to file' option. With Geany, if I set the 'Use an external command for printing' to the default /usr/bin/lpr %f (that works with MTPaint), nothing at all happens. I can find no way to alter whatever Leafpad tries to do.

When I run these same apps directly from my earlier Puppy 4.2 CD, the 'Print to file' option initially shows up, but a split second later my laser printer is added as the default.

What is going on and how do I fix it.

Edit: just went back and checked all this again with a clean Puppy 4.2.1 CD => pfix=ram and got same results as with the upgrade.

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

I am currently using 4.2.1RC2 and I can confirm your problem. However, I was able to print in Leafpad and Geany by going to Print Preview. This loaded the document into the PDF viewer, which then printed it.

In Geany, I was able to set the external command to /usr/bin/lpr and print successfully, provided that I had saved the document first. This is how previous versions of Geany and Leafpad handled printing.

In Geany's printing preferences, there is the statement that GTK printing is only available if Geany is compiled against GTK 2.10. But it looks like Puppy is only using GTK 2.0.

I don't understand how there could have been a change in behavior between 4.2 and 4.2.1. Did the version of Geany change between these two releases?

WhoDo

#3 Post by WhoDo »

rcrsn51 wrote:I don't understand how there could have been a change in behavior between 4.2 and 4.2.1. Did the version of Geany change between these two releases?
Nope. Both 4.2 and 4.2.1 use Geany-0.16 from the same dotpet in my Unleashed tree. What did change was Gtk+ which was modified by Pizzasgood to support xinput when using a foreign language keyboard. Could that be responsible?
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

Could that be responsible?
I don't know. But I compiled the current Leafpad 0.8.16 in a Puppy 4.1.2 environment and it detects the installed printers correctly.

[Edit] I also compiled the latest Geany in 4.1.2 and it runs correctly. So there is definitely something different about 4.2.1. I notice that 4.2.1 has a newer version of /usr/lib/libgnomeprint - 2.18.5 versus 2.18.2.

WhoDo

#5 Post by WhoDo »

rcrsn51 wrote:I notice that 4.2.1 has a newer version of /usr/lib/libgnomeprint - 2.18.5 versus 2.18.2.
Ah, yes! That was upgraded as part of the CUPS-1.4.2b package fixes. I can roll that back. Please post the request in the 4.x Bugs section CUPS thread so I don't have to search for it when building the next release.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

WhoDo

#6 Post by WhoDo »

Weirder and weirder. I rolled back 4.2.1RC3 to libgnomeprint-2.18.2 and applied a Geany patch supplied by aragon, and I can now print from Geany but only if I do a Print Preview and choose to print from there. Printing directly from the application with no print preview doesn't show the printer in the list! :?

OTOH, I have a build of Puppy-4.2.1 with the libgnomeprint-2.18.5 and I directly applied the Geany patch from aragon; so now I can print straight from Geany with no print preview required. :roll: