How to install Midnight Commander?

Booting, installing, newbie
divisionmd

#1 Post by divisionmd »

Hello,

I want to install midnight commander in Puppy.

Can anyone give me a simple step by step how to on how to do this?

im trying to download midnight commander from: http://www.ibiblio.org/mc/

Read something about that first need to also install GLIB? dont even know what it is.

Best regards,
Johan

divisionmd

update

#2 Post by divisionmd »

Just an update to my question above, i have now found an installation guide and done this:

tar -xvzf mc-4.6.1.tar.tar

and the file extracts a folder.

i then change to that folder and run this:

./configure

then i get this error message "error: no acceptable C compiler found in $path"

what do i need to do..

MU

#3 Post by MU »

muggins

#4 Post by muggins »

you need to download the development environment for whatever puppyversion you have. e.g. if you've got puppyversion2.16, then the gcc compiler is contained in devx_216.sfs. you can get it from here:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... vx_216.sfs

for a cdrom, or frugal install, this file should be placed in /mnt/home, then after rebooting, if you type gcc -v, and it responds with the gcc version, then you have a compiler environment. for a full install, read the notes here:

http://www.puppylinux.com/hard-puppy.htm

or, much simpler, Mu has this one on his website:

http://dotpups.de/dotpups/File_Managers ... r.Plus.pup

just click to install, then type mc in a console.

jonyo

#5 Post by jonyo »

Tried it out. Works beautiful :D Click click boom, good to go. Start icon shows up in ~/my-roxapps

divisionmd

Thanks

#6 Post by divisionmd »

Thanks everyone i got it working!!

Best regards,
Johan :D

djringjr

#7 Post by djringjr »

Here is a link you can click for the Midnight Commander Plus download:

There is a problem with the file. It is corrupt because the md5sum is incorrect.

To install the file do this:

Download the file to the /tmp directory.

Open the /tmp directory by using ROX.

Rename the file by changing the file extention from "pup" to "zip".
The icon in ROX will change to an archive file. Double click on the new file and it will open up in "archiver".

Use the button to "Select All" then the button to "Extract" the default location will be "/tmp" which is fine.

When the archiver program says that the files are extracted, quit the program.

Go back into the ROX window of /tmp. Hover the mouse inside the box (window) and right click, select "Window" and then "Terminal Here".
A terminal window will open up.

In the terminal window type the following command (notice the period before the slash).

Code: Select all

./dotpup.sh
The dotpup will now install normally.

Unfortunately because there is a problem with the registration of the program (beyond the scope of this message), the program won't appear on the menu.

No problem we will do this instead:

When the dotpup is installed a ROX window will appear with a blue icon with the name "MC". Drag the MC file to the desktop by dragging with the mouse. It will just copy the file to the desktop.

To run Midnight Commander Plus, just click on the icon on the desktop, or from a terminal inside X type "mc" and press "enter".

Midngith Commander Plus will also run outside X on the command line by typing the command "mc" and pressing enter.

The author might correct this wonderful file, and change the registration so that the desktop file registers under "Utilities" on the Puppy menu.

Have fun!

David

DonShi

How to install Midnight Commander

#8 Post by DonShi »

To run Midnight Commander Plus, just click on the icon on the desktop, or from a terminal inside X type "mc" and press "enter".

Midngith Commander Plus will also run outside X on the command line by typing the command "mc" and pressing enter.
Hi djringjr,

I followed all you instructions and everything went perfectly except the part where you click on the blue MC icon I get the following message: mc: error while loading shared libraries: libgpm.so.1: cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory.

I get the same message when I type mc in a terminal window.

I am doing this in Mipup2 the only change that I made was I downloaded: http://dotpups.de/dotpups/File_Managers ... r.Plus.pup to the desktop folder.

I have no idea what shared object file it apparently needs here. Mipup2 is based on Puppy 4.1.2, I did try to load mc file from PETget and it did not run at all either...I tried to uninstall it but it gave me the first yellow screen then nothing and and mc is still in the install listing in PETget.

I then tried your instructions to see if I could load a .pet version. I am beginning to think perhaps there is a bug or missing file in MiPup2. Perhaps they need a bugreport?

Is there any other alternatives here, perhaps a recent version of a MC file?

Thanks to everyone who helped with these instructions. Is there a newer version of the MC Dotpet I could try, or perhaps there is a bug in Mipup2.

Aitch

#9 Post by Aitch »

Can't help with the missing library, however corruptions have been reported

see djringjr post Oct 1/2.15pm

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... f9b903ff5b

Aitch :)

DonShi

#10 Post by DonShi »

Thanks Aitch, I managed to get a working mc.

What I learned:

Persistence pays off when it's matched with careful thought.
I went back into PETget and found that for some reason mc did not actually download, it was still listed in the downloads section of PETget even though it was listed as installed, so I tried it again but this time a chose a different location. I used ibibilo.org the first time and the second time I got mc from nluug.nl and it installed. It could be that the missing library was in that install because it worked, It worked from the blue icon and it worked from the terminal.

Thanks to all of you on the forum for your help.

MouseMan

#11 Post by MouseMan »

This is my first post in this forum.

First of all I want to thanks Barry Kauler, all the Puppy Linux developers and all of you on the forum. Great job. I love Puppy Linux.

I write here to share my experience with Midnight Commander in Puppy 2xx, 3xx and 4xx.

@ DonShi

> mc: error while loading shared libraries: libgpm.so.1: cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory
It seems that gpm library is missing, you need to install this official .pet:

pet_packages-3/gpm-1.20.1-1.pet
(It is needed by mc to enable the mouse functions.)

If I remember well, you should install it before the mc official .pet:

pet_packages-3/mc-4.6.1.pet

> It could be that the missing library was in that install because it worked
Probably you have installed mc from internet and the gpm dependency was resolved automagically.

Imho, you can check it easily in this way:

1) boot Puppy with pfix=ram option
2) install the mc-4.6.1.pet that you've already downloaded from nluug.nl

The gpm error should show again.

1) reboot (without saving the configuration) with pfix=ram option
2) install gpm-1.20.1-1.pet
3) install mc-4.6.1.pet

It should work.

By the way, to check dependencies there's a useful command: "ldd". F.i. the dependencies of my working mc installation on Puppy 4.12 are:

# ldd /usr/local/bin/mc
        linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xffffe000)
        libglib-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0 (0xb7ecd000)
        libgpm.so.1 => /lib/libgpm.so.1 (0xb7ec8000)
        libncurses.so.5 => /lib/libncurses.so.5 (0xb7e90000)
        libnsl.so.1 => /lib/libnsl.so.1 (0xb7e7d000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0xb7d82000)
        libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0xb7d5f000)
        /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb7f5b000)
---

I added to mc 2 simple configurations, may be useful to other mc users (consider all following texts wo "" obviously):

1) Added missing keyboard bindings:

choose "learn Keys..." from "Option" menu, select, e.g., "[End key ]" with the mouse and follow the instructions. May be useful to add "[Home key ]" too.

2) To view .pdf docs with epdfview:

- choose "Edit extension file" from "Command menu":
- Select "[ User ]"
- Press the F7 (search) and type in "PDF" and add this line:
"Open=(epdfview %f &)"
- Comment with "#" the viewer you don't need.
- Double click a .pdf doc or press enter while highlighting a .pdf to view it

Excerpt from mine /root/.mc/bindings:

# PDF
type/^PDF
	#Open=(xpdf %f &)
	#Open=(acroread %f &)
	#Open=(ghostview %f &)
	Open=(epdfview %f &)
	View=%view{ascii} pdftotext %f -
Hope it helps.

Regards,
Bob

Bruce B

#12 Post by Bruce B »

I love AlienX Midnight Commander Plus

It was written for 1.xx and as usual without possibility of knowing what Puppy will do in the future.

In the case of Midnight Commander Plus, while there was not a screw up at all then, there is now, albeit modest.

mc is not a binary file, it is a script. It does something you don't want to do, it deletes a file in /bin each time it runs.

In versions 1.xx that's what you had to do and wanted to do. In 2,3, and 4 one deletion will suffice.

Worse, is the reason for the deletion, 1.xx had an inferior file, which by deleting, it gets surpassed by a superior file included in the package.

This is no longer the case, you don't even want to delete the file in /bin

Sorry I don't remember the file name. But what I do is install midnight commander plus

Then delete mc

Rename the binary file to mc

Replace two symlinks; mcedit and mcview to point to mc

Bruce B

Re: How to install Midnight Commander

#13 Post by Bruce B »

Hi Bob,

Welcome to the forum and thanks caring.

It is almost a joke to me. Community edition 215CE included the midnight commander, it didn't work. Who cares? Who even bothered to type mc on the command line?

If the 'official Midnight Commander' ever worked, I don't know for whom.

Does it matter? Does anyone care?

Then on your first post, you cared, I don't know what to do. Install it, work off your work and post a howto get something that someone should have tested working.

Just exactly how hard is it to type 'mc' on the command line, then hit enter? Who would bother?

Thanks for your post and caring! I'll do some R&D based on your work and get back.

Bruce

Bruce B

#14 Post by Bruce B »

Bob (MouseMan)

Well done, that's all it takes. Verified.

Bruce

DonShi

#15 Post by DonShi »

Thanks so much for your post MouseMan Bob I appreciate you taking the time to write a detailed explanation on the situation at hand. I am very interested in Puppy and I have a basic knowledge of Linux from the old days. Much has changed since then and my mind is rusty so, I'm getting back into Linux and discovered Puppy Linux. I am interested in learning to make packages and the basic idea of programming as it relates to compiling source code, my interest goes only as far as a hobbyist though. I read you post very carefully and I'll go through your instructions as there is much there that is helpful. I remember midnight commander from the old days of Red Hat v5 and V6.

Thanks for your post as well Bruce B., This is only my second post to the forum but I have been reading and trying different Puppies and reading Berry Kauler's developers page as listed at www.puppylinux.com abut developer's news. I'm going to backtrack to the mc project as you all have been very helpful and there is much I can learn from the experience of following your careful instructions. I had forgotten that mc came with mouse support. Seems like when I first started trying to learn Linux mc had only F key commands but now that you mentioned it in de tale I think Red Hat V6 may have had mouse support in mc.

This MiPup2 is quite interesting to learn on too because it has enough frills to be interesting but needs stuff like Pidgin 2.5.2 I'm trying to figure that out too. I tried converting a slackware package to a DotPup but lots of libraries were left out. Now it's back to MC. I am also learning to make post in these forums. There is a fare amount to learn about that too.

Thanks again MouseMan and Bruce B. for your reply.

Don s. (GochiMan)

kethd

I care!

#16 Post by kethd »

Yes, I do care -- I want Midnight Commander!

I just tried to install mc on MiPup2 LiveCD. I got lost in outdated repositories, missing dependencies, claims that things would be queued that were not, suggestions to reboot (which is not applicable in pure LiveCD mode)...

Please, someone, add some real complete working version of mc to the Official Puppy 4 PETget package manager.

Thank You!

Bruce B

Re: I care!

#17 Post by Bruce B »

kethd wrote: Please, someone, add some real complete working version of mc to the Official Puppy 4 PETget package manager.
I don't have the clout to do that. But I can certainly upload one for you.

The one I'll upload will open .pup and .pet in a VFS simply by highlighting it and tapping the enter key.

Just sit on the edge of your chair while I get it ready.

Bruce B

#18 Post by Bruce B »

I put it together.

It has an extra, a better terminal emulator called mrxvt. After installing it, go to /root/my-applications/bin,

Then drag and drop mrxvtsh to your desktop. Rename it to mrxvt and give it an icon. The one from rxvt will be fine and I'm sure you wont want rxvt any longer after mrxvt.

Also a much improved .mprc file with a backup of the original.

I did it fast, let me know how it does, any problems, and I'll fix them.

To install

Download to /
# cd /
# tar -xvjf midnightcommanderplusBB.tar.bz2

Hint just type in a few letters of the filename such as midni

Then hit the tab key to automatically finish the name

Keef

#19 Post by Keef »

Thanks Bruce!
I have used MC on and off for a while without really looking into what it is capable of. The only problem with it I had was that none of the function keys would work apart from F9. This happened with both a previous .pet version and after compiling it myself. Yours works perfectly.

Bruce B

#20 Post by Bruce B »

Keef,

Thanks, also I didn't emphasize, as I should
have, using the included mrxvt - but the major reason
for including it is the full F key support.

Also, I didn't mention to run Midnight Commander,
the command is mc in a terminal emulator

Also, the reason for the weird filename is for benefit
of phpBB search, I've had problems searching when
dashes and some other characters are included.

Bruce

midnightcommanderplusBB