How to open Seamonkey's mail client? (Solved)

Using applications, configuring, problems
paydaydaddy

How to open Seamonkey's mail client? (Solved)

#1 Post by paydaydaddy »

After installing the latest SeaMonkey browser and mail client I can't figure out how to launch the email client. Is there a way to launch from terminal? I am sure that if I knew the name of the actual application launcher and could migrate to it within the file system, then I could set an icon for it on the desktop. Any Ideas?
Last edited by paydaydaddy on Mon 04 May 2009, 14:18, edited 1 time in total.

WhoDo

Re: Seamonkey Mail Client Launcher

#2 Post by WhoDo »

paydaydaddy wrote:After installing the latest SeaMonkey browser and mail client I can't figure out how to launch the email client. Is there a way to launch from terminal? I am sure that if I knew the name of the actual application launcher and could migrate to it within the file system, then I could set an icon for it on the desktop. Any Ideas?
Mail is launched with the following command:

Code: Select all

seamonkey -mail
Hope that helps.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

paydaydaddy

#3 Post by paydaydaddy »

WhoDo wrote:
paydaydaddy wrote:After installing the latest SeaMonkey browser and mail client I can't figure out how to launch the email client. Is there a way to launch from terminal? I am sure that if I knew the name of the actual application launcher and could migrate to it within the file system, then I could set an icon for it on the desktop. Any Ideas?

seamonkey -mail
Hope that helps.
This produces the following message:
Cannot find SeaMonkey runtime directory. Exiting.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#4 Post by Béèm »

Let me iterate the unknown factors we are facing:
1 - What version have you installed and what type of install?
2 - What is the reason you installed another SeaMonkey?
3 - Which version did you install and how?
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

WhoDo

#5 Post by WhoDo »

paydaydaddy wrote:

seamonkey -mail
Hope that helps.
This produces the following message:
Cannot find SeaMonkey runtime directory. Exiting.
Ok, so you didn't install from the PETget repository then. Try mozmail instead.

You can check whether an executable program will be found by typing in a console

which {progname}
If you don't get a location path then it won't execute.

Hope that helps
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

paydaydaddy

#6 Post by paydaydaddy »

Béèm wrote:Let me iterate the unknown factors we are facing:
1 - What version have you installed and what type of install?
2 - What is the reason you installed another SeaMonkey?
3 - Which version did you install and how?
1. Frugal install of 4.2 retro on an older Dell Inspiron laptop
2. kept getting popup telling me there was a newer version available and much like the man asked why he climbed the mountain, because it was there.
3. Installed SeaMonkey 1.1.16 using the SeaMonkey installer and following the instructions on the SeaMonkey web site.
I can migrate to the seamonkey directory, open a terminal and enter the command ./seamonkey -mail and launch the email client. I can open the Seamonkey browser, click Window, choose Email & Newsgroups to launch the email client. I would like to set an icon on the desktop that would launch the email client. Maybe it can't be done, but it does seem that it should be possible. Maybe an icon that launches a script. Opinions?

WhoDo

#7 Post by WhoDo »

paydaydaddy wrote:I can migrate to the seamonkey directory, open a terminal and enter the command ./seamonkey -mail and launch the email client. I can open the Seamonkey browser, click Window, choose Email & Newsgroups to launch the email client. I would like to set an icon on the desktop that would launch the email client. Maybe it can't be done, but it does seem that it should be possible. Maybe an icon that launches a script. Opinions?
Now we're getting somewhere. The program runs, you just need to have a direct link because it hasn't installed in your search path.

Go to /usr/share/applications and find the seamonkey-mail.desktop file. Using a text editor like Geany, just substitute the new Seamonkey directory path for the old one, save and drag that file to your desktop. You may need to right click on it and choose the icon to drag and drop there too.

Furthermore, if you substitute the new directory path in each of the other .desktop files for Seamonkey in /usr/share/applications, and run Refresh menus from the main menu, those menu items will now load your new version as well.

Hope that helps

paydaydaddy

Solved: Seamonkey Mail Client Launcher

#8 Post by paydaydaddy »

Thanks to those who replied. I got it figured out. There is not a separate email file that shows up after installing seamonkey 1.1.16. I got it to work by editing the existing default mail icon with the path to the seamonkey file and adding mail to the arguments field. So simple that it almost evaded me completely.