Package management and remastering in Lucid Puppy

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
pa_mcclamrock

Package management and remastering in Lucid Puppy

#1 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

Is there a comprehensible explanation of how package management and remastering in Lucid Puppy are different from Puppy 4.x, and how they're similar or identical? For example, is there still going to be a .pet with lists of all files in all included packages, like 0pkgs_db in the 4.x series? How does Lucid Puppy keep track of the installation and uninstallation of .debs from Ubuntu? Does the "Remaster Puppy Live-CD" script work exactly the same as in 4.x?
It's stupid to use inferior software for ideological reasons.
--Linus Torvalds

01micko

Re: Package management and remastering in Lucid Puppy

#2 Post by 01micko »

Hi Pa, I'll attempt to answer from my perspective.
pa_mcclamrock wrote:Is there a comprehensible explanation of how package management and remastering in Lucid Puppy are different from Puppy 4.x, and how they're similar or identical? For example, is there still going to be a .pet with lists of all files in all included packages, like 0pkgs_db in the 4.x series?
I think that one may need some work. It is probably a woof issue. I'll do a bit more research on that one.
pa_mcclamrock wrote: How does Lucid Puppy keep track of the installation and uninstallation of .debs from Ubuntu?
PPM keeps a register in /root/.packages. All .debs are recorded in there along with .pets. Quickpet goes through PPM too, so .pets downloaded from Quickpet are recorded. Uninstallation should be just fine with the record in place .pets and .debs.
pa_mcclamrock wrote: Does the "Remaster Puppy Live-CD" script work exactly the same as in 4.x?
I believe so, it is the same script from 431, though I haven't tried it, I remaster manually if I need to, but of course new comers will want to try it, It was certainly one of the first things I tried when I first downloaded Dingo nearly two years ago. Perhaps we need a couple of testers.

Thanks.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

pa_mcclamrock

Re: Package management and remastering in Lucid Puppy

#3 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

01micko wrote:Perhaps we need a couple of testers [of the "Remaster Puppy live-CD" script in Lucid Puppy].
Here's one tester. It still works. I'm running Lucid Puppy 116 from a remastered CD right now.
It's stupid to use inferior software for ideological reasons.
--Linus Torvalds

nancy reagan

PPM different from 4 ?

#4 Post by nancy reagan »

Running live cd.

Being a perfect noob I thought "great all those extra pets but ..
" not really at least not here.

Tried Audacity. Gave a long list of missing dependencies, appeared in menu, but that was all.

Tried still some others which did not even appear in the menu.

Q1 Does Lucid handle the management of pachages differently from Puppy ?

Q2 If so, in what way do you have to treat them differently ?

Q3 What is the diff between the one and the second series of Lucid pets ?

Q5 Can the pets from 5 been handled as usual as they seem to be "debian" ?

Q5 Remvoing a pet works but when I wanted to do it firsttime there was no screen message. Might be helpful for firsttime users.

After clicking it kept onn removing.

01micko

#5 Post by 01micko »

Nancy
Tried Audacity. Gave a long list of missing dependencies, appeared in menu, but that was all.
Use the Audaicity on the first page of Quickpet, I just tested pfix=ram, it works. (you had me worried there :wink: )
Q1 Does Lucid handle the management of pachages differently from Puppy ?

Q2 If so, in what way do you have to treat them differently ?

Q3 What is the diff between the one and the second series of Lucid pets ?

Q5 Can the pets from 5 been handled as usual as they seem to be "debian" ?

Q5 Remvoing a pet works but when I wanted to do it firsttime there was no screen message. Might be helpful for firsttime users.

After clicking it kept onn removing.
A1, No, the same.
A2. See A1.
A3. Do you mean the uj pets in the repo? Most of them are prepared for juanty puppy, but in saying that most should work.
A4. Hmmm ... some will be ok, some won't.. it will most likely be dependency issues.
A5. I get a screen message when removing packages.. :?

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access