Pfind alternative Search-Monkey for 4+ series

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
mikeb

#16 Post by mikeb »

Ok I get segmentation fault in puppy 4.12 also but curiously it works perfectly in puppy 2.12.........nice and full featured...I like the regular expression builder feature as that stuff makes me go crosseyed normally.

Another gtk2 problem like the firefox one perhaps??Does 4.20 which I presume you tested in have an updated gtk2?

regards

mike

PupMike

#17 Post by PupMike »

mikeb wrote:Ok I get segmentation fault in puppy 4.12 also but curiously it works perfectly in puppy 2.12.........nice and full featured...I like the regular expression builder feature as that stuff makes me go crosseyed normally.

Another gtk2 problem like the firefox one perhaps??Does 4.20 which I presume you tested in have an updated gtk2?

regards

mike
I think it is a Gtk version/bug problem. Most all of the seg faults I tracked down to the way the controls/widgets are shown. It seems a show is done on the controls before the parent and my current version of Gtk doesn't like it a bit. My Gtk version is 2.12.1 which also seems to have a bug in the file chooser dialog. If a non existent name is set to default the dialog will hang in lala land until you kill the process.

Mike H.

ttuuxxx

#18 Post by ttuuxxx »

mikeb wrote:Ok I get segmentation fault in puppy 4.12 also but curiously it works perfectly in puppy 2.12.........nice and full featured...I like the regular expression builder feature as that stuff makes me go crosseyed normally.

regards

mike
Yes and 4.2 has the gtk2 patch pizzasgood made, Its probably that, it works fine for me on 4.2 never crashed, must of tested/used it 50 times already. Perfectly stable.

now to fine the patch and post the link here for others to try
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

mikeb

#19 Post by mikeb »

Yes and 4.2 has the gtk2 patch pizzasgood made,
I'll ask here cos I'm losing track of this...what version of gtk2 is stable and being used in 4.20, where does the patch come into this...is there a pet that could be used on 4.12 and earlier for established setups, or would it be simpler to grab the latest 4.20 and hyjack the libraries?

As this affects at least 2 applications so far (3 with avidemux perhaps???) would be a useful patch.

If this is already available simply slap me or anyone you care to choose...

ps..I find search monkey deleriously easy to use ....been a gtkfind user until now :D

mike

ttuuxxx

#20 Post by ttuuxxx »

mikeb wrote:
Yes and 4.2 has the gtk2 patch pizzasgood made,
I'll ask here cos I'm losing track of this...what version of gtk2 is stable and being used in 4.20, where does the patch come into this...is there a pet that could be used on 4.12 and earlier for established setups, or would it be simpler to grab the latest 4.20 and hyjack the libraries?

As this affects at least 2 applications so far (3 with avidemux perhaps???) would be a useful patch.

If this is already available simply slap me or anyone you care to choose...

ps..I find search monkey deleriously easy to use ....been a gtkfind user until now :D

mike
Hi mike I think this is the package your looking for, test it out and tell us how it went ok, It took about 20 mins to find it on the forum :)
thanks
ttuuxxx

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 9&start=75
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

PupMike

#21 Post by PupMike »

Well, I tired of dealing with the bugs in Gtk 2.12.1 so I updated all of my core libs this morning with 2.16.1 as well as gdlib, pango, cairo and friends :)

I can now run SearchMonkey with no problems :) I do like the reg exp builder. About the best I've seen at simplifying it without placing too many limitations.

Thanks,
Mike H.

jakfish

#22 Post by jakfish »

That patch pet did it. In 4.1.2, I installed patch, then ttuuxx's searchmonkey, and searchmonkey came up from Menu without even a reboot. Well done, folks,

Jake

mikeb

#23 Post by mikeb »

not only does that fix searchmonkey in 4.12 it also fixes the audio track selection crash in that avidemux 2.4 gtk package you made a while ago...yo :) ...perhaps repost it (avidemux) up with the patch
...also provides wacom operability in the gimp too.....

I was going to go for a full gtk update but this seems to do the trick generally.

mike

ecomoney

#24 Post by ecomoney »

Well done Ttuxxx! I am glad your much-publicized passionivity toward the pSeries apps is inspiring you to some productive work. The search function is very important to those coming to linux who are unfamiliar with a linux (or even puppy's strange) filesystem. This is surely the way to go for everyones benefit. Your UI skills are obviously coming along well too.

Im downloading now for testing, but from your screenshot I notice two possible improvements already.

1. The text in the about box doesnt quite fit.
2. "New Instance"? This is programming terminology....not for a GUI. Firefox/Seamonkey uses "New Window". This would make its function clearer for "linux newbs".

How big is it compared to pFind? That graphic logo looks a little large.

From what Ive seen, the UI is better laid out than pFind. Once it is WELL TESTED, documented and peer reviewed, I may give it my vote for inclusion in standard puppy. Where is the source?
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

seeker

#25 Post by seeker »

Nice find ttuuxxx.

Haven't used it extensively in 4.2 yet but there is one thing that I can't stand about it. It's that redundant tooltip that pops up over every menu header and obscures the top menu item of every menu. Gaahh. Other than that it works very well.

Thanks,
Seeker

ravensrest

#26 Post by ravensrest »

Nice enough program, ttuuxx, and runs great in 4.2. However, I like the fact that Pfind displays the whole path whereas Searchmonkey shows the filename followed by the location only.

I also like the extreme simplicity of Pfind in its basic mode.

Note that the start and stop buttons of Searchmonkey are crowded against the right margin and don't look quite as 'spiffy' as if they were inset a bit.

The advance search modes of Searchmonkey are definitely superior though.

Have to think about the choice. Really do like the look and ease of Pfind.

BS

mikeb

#27 Post by mikeb »

Searchmonkey shows the filename followed by the location only.
now I call that a feature...much clearer than the usual pile of paths that most searches spew out....like I'm searching for /usr/blah/blah...

Pfind seems to need several clicks to get to a useful dialog and was v-e-r-y s-l-o-w compared to searchmonkey or gtkfind.

Get an off window tooltip but nothing getting obscured...those extra start/stop buttons...there's also a pair on the tool menu...they would suffice if labled.

mike

wkr

#28 Post by wkr »

There was a need for a fast and full featured file search tool in Puppy, now we have it. I especially appreciate handling found files but right-click menu.
Thank you Tuuxxx for this pet, FoxitReader, and others.

mikeb

#29 Post by mikeb »

Ok ages ago I hacked around with searchmonkey and have it as my default fast search bunny.

I recently had a rematch armed with some more experience and rejiggled the interface (again) plus tidied up some loose ends it has.

Heres the binary only for those who already have it ... seems ok but I might have missed something

enjoy

Mike
Attachments
search.png
(195.12 KiB) Downloaded 335 times
searchmonkey-v2.tar.gz
(62.06 KiB) Downloaded 406 times

don570

#30 Post by don570 »

You can also try Bulldog finder, however it has less features than pfind

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=78592

mikeb

#31 Post by mikeb »

But what do you use to find the file search program if you lose it?
mike

don570

#32 Post by don570 »

I should have mentioned that Bulldog finder requires a recent gtkdialog
compile 0.8.3.

_________________________-

mikeb

#33 Post by mikeb »

I have a sexy gtkdialog 0.8.3 that works on 4.12 if needed by anyone....

mike

a_salty_dogg

#34 Post by a_salty_dogg »

Many thanks this is great, just what I was looking for, can confirm it installs "out of the box" (a novelty in puppy, lol) without snags and works perfectly in 4.31

Far better GUI than pfind, and very nice that it shows search progress in the taskbar and displays positive results as soon as it finds them.
Maybe search is rather slower than pfind but that's a small price to pay.

My problem with pfind in this distro (therefore the need for a replacement) has been that, when searching the entire system, it runs the search, gets as far as "building database" then completely crashes (though as has been said earlier, it stays in processes thus preventing any attempt at unmounting), so thanks again for providing this alternative, much appreciated.

mikeb

#35 Post by mikeb »

Yo...

I did have a play with it ...you might be interested.

Same functionality but altered gui.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=90257

I always find it fast...perhaps it was content searching

Mike