Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 09 Apr 2020, 18:41
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
[Request]Internet Metering Module for Cybercafes
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 3 [31 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
ragaman

PostPosted: Fri 15 May 2009, 23:25    Post subject:  

How about Cafe Con Leche? It is in wide use by internet cafes using Ubuntu in the Philippines. Here's the link:

http://ccl.sourceforge.net/
gposil

PostPosted: Sat 16 May 2009, 02:27    Post subject:  

A fellow Lazarus developer has something that maybe of interest.

http://outkastsolutions.co.za/outkast/index.php?option=com_openwiki&id=outkafe

Hope this helps

ecomoney

PostPosted: Tue 19 May 2009, 23:13    Post subject:  

Ragam, thank you I had looked at this...it looks ideal apart from one major problem...

http://ccl.sourceforge.net/index.php?page=doc

Outcast hasnt been developed for three years. Crying or Very sad

Sorry, my server is down atm!
ragaman

PostPosted: Wed 20 May 2009, 09:31    Post subject:  

Lol...major problem.

Anyways, here's a link that discusses CCL, for what it's worth...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=777093
ecomoney

PostPosted: Tue 16 Jun 2009, 22:50    Post subject:  

Thank you all for your contributions. The cybercafe is now up and running in a preliminary state.

ragaman, I found a JAVA package on the post that you sent on the ubuntu forums

http://www.dijitanix.com/

Thank you for that. It makes a good interim solution. Its major problem is that it needs client software to be installed. Many of the cybercafe's customers bring their own laptops (they use ethernet cables that are available out of the sides of the cafe). Currently there is no way of charging for these connections (apart from insisting they install Puppy!).

On the second viewing (now I have greater experience of the environment of the cybercafe itself), the only way I see that a fully chargeable system could be implemented is to put the software on the central Smoothwall machine, which gives out i.p. addresses to all who connect. This would need to redirect all internet requests to a page where a password/passkey could be entered to enable access. Current no Smoothwall MOD exists for this. Crying or Very sad

Just to clarify my "plan" for this project...I wish to release a modified smoothwall that will netboot puppy linux onto thin clients, creating an "instant cybercafe". AFAIK no other distro/distro combination is capable of producing this and would I think be much in demand, as weell as being a great way of promoting puppy linux.

aarf

PostPosted: Tue 16 Jun 2009, 23:56    Post subject:  

ecomoney wrote:

Thank you for that. It makes a good interim solution. Its major problem is that it needs client software to be installed. Many of the cybercafe's customers bring their own laptops (they use ethernet cables that are available out of the sides of the cafe). Currently there is no way of charging for these connections (apart from insisting they install Puppy!).

dont know the society you live in, but have seen a fee signposted donation/honesty box used at a local library for internet computer use. good to hear that you finally have this puppy project off the ground and flying.

ASUS EeePC Flare series 1025C 4x Intel Atom N2800 @ 1.86GHz RAM 2063MB 800x600p ATA 320G
_-¤-_

<º))))><.¸¸.•´¯`•.#.•´¯`•.¸¸. ><((((º>
ecomoney

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jun 2009, 07:20    Post subject:  

Hmmm...A good idea one I hadnt thought of...I will run it past the Charity Manager....the cafe clientelle are all mostly from abroad and only tend to be passing through as their ships dock.

Its not flying yet but I hope it will be soon

MU

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jun 2009, 17:31    Post subject:  

Rob, thanks for your personal message offering a donation, although you prefer another solution than the prototype I wrote.

But you don't need to donate - I just would take the money, if the project would be really used by you.
This is really ok, else I would have explicitly requested a loan for the development of the prototype.
But many thanks, this is a very great gesture Very Happy

I attach my prototype, as promised released under the GPL V3.
So if someone thinks it could be a good approach after adding some more features, you may contact me, and I might enhance it (we had to find a solutiion concerning payment then).

Mark

--------------------
I attach 2 pets with grafical utilities.
They contain a program for the computer of the cybercafe surveyor, called "ICafe-Codegenerator".
It generates a code, that is valid for 5 minutes.
So all computers need to have working clocks!

The second one, "Icafe-login", must be installed on the clients.
Just on one for first tests right now!
It will disconnect the network every few seconds.
It offers to enter the code generated above.
If it is valid, the connection is started again, for 1 hour.
(This test pet just keeps it open for 10 seconds.)

It uses ifconfig to disconnect/connect, and dhcpcd.
It uses eth0 and eth1.
icafe.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   32.47 KB
 Viewed   812 Time(s)

icafe.jpg

ICafe.tar.gz
Description  sourcecode (Valaide)
gz

Download 
Filename  ICafe.tar.gz 
Filesize  28.67 KB 
Downloaded  271 Time(s) 
Icafecodegenerator.tar.gz
Description  sourcecode (Valaide)
gz

Download 
Filename  Icafecodegenerator.tar.gz 
Filesize  9.13 KB 
Downloaded  286 Time(s) 
ICafe-login.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  ICafe-login.pet 
Filesize  29.31 KB 
Downloaded  284 Time(s) 
ICafe-Codegenerator.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  ICafe-Codegenerator.pet 
Filesize  26.33 KB 
Downloaded  281 Time(s) 

ecomoney

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jun 2009, 20:38    Post subject:  

I feel bad that I did not have a thorough knowledge of what was required until the cybercafe was up and running...this is the "chicken and the egg" and just goes to show how there is no substitute for real world testing. Thank you for accepting my apology.

The puppy based cybercafe solution is not required in this scenario (as many of the sailors have their own laptops)...but I would think that this was perhaps an exception to how things are in most cybercafes. I can see your puppy-only metering module being a better solution in that more common case.

I hope from this to create a version of smoothwall that can be installed onto an old pc, and other old pc's connected to it to create an "instant cybercafe" out of what is essentially "old junk". I can see it being useful for smaller communities (villages in poorer countries) and perhaps even disaster zones (many people used the net after the tsunami to track relatives and keep in contact).

For this perhaps I will accept some money or apply for grant funding. Otherwise soon I may be put on a "forced work detail" with our unemployment service (like what happened when I was working on the phoenix project). If this happens I will remember my promise to you MU.

For now I must approach the Smoothwall guys and see if one of them will write what we personally need, unless anyone knows anything from here. I must write an updated spec on their forum, and I must also write a report to the committee about why this project is overdue! Crying or Very sad Currently they are facing hard times financially and they are losing cybercafe revenue (the most "profitable" part of the the services they provide).

MagicZaurus

PostPosted: Thu 18 Jun 2009, 07:58    Post subject: Chillifire  

Maybe have a look here.

http://www.chillifire.net/index.php

The software is GPL and can manage a wireless hotspot. Maybe it's easy to adapt that to also support wired connections.
ecomoney

PostPosted: Thu 18 Jun 2009, 09:17    Post subject:  

Thanks for that MZ, I will take a look.

The problem we have with wireless is explained below...

The entrance to the largest dock in Britain is directly outside and the radar from the ships can cause interference.

However, I have not tested having the wireless point in the same room as the cybercafe. The cybercafe is in the room directly below where that picture was taken. This means that the signal would have to travel vertically downward, through the "height" of the wall into the cybercafe...which I am assuming would weaken the signal in the actual room itself. Perhaps wireless may be possible, and it would be preferred to wired access.

Im just about to set off back to the cybercafe to fix a few problems and figure out how to "dial in" to update, I will take a wireless router and do some tests.

It could be that we use a chillispot to provide paid for wireless access while the smoothwall method is developed (which I would really like to be a netboot cybercafe on a single cd solution). At immingham there are staff to take payments, but in Hull access is 24/7. A chillispot might be ideal there for those who have a method of electronic payment (Im not sure what percentage of seafarers have this). The commitee are getting agitated as to how long this is all taken so it could provide them with some revenue in the meantime.

MagicZaurus

PostPosted: Thu 18 Jun 2009, 10:29    Post subject: Payment  

How did they previously collect payment with Windows on the machines?

If they operate 24/7, there must be a person around also 24/7 to collect cash payments unless you use the vending machine concept.

I think the easiest to switch off/on the network for the different clients on the Smoothwall is by making use of 'ip-tables'. But as you want to run Smoothwall on the server/firewall, then the best should be to ask the Smoothwall experts.
ecomoney

PostPosted: Fri 19 Jun 2009, 06:27    Post subject:  

There are two sites, Immingham (which is open 9:00-21:00) with someone to collect cash payments in return for vouchers, and Grimsby, which operates a similar system during the same times, but operates a smaller 24/7 operation during the night. This is operated with a coin slot (the weavefuture type with the link given in the original thread).

It was agreed that we should get the Immingham site de-windosed first, as it is a smaller operation, doesnt have the added complexity of the coin-op/24-7 requirement and is nearer/cheaper for me to travel to regularly.

Previously they were using a very expensive and inflexible proprietary WinXP solution. They could print tickets from the office which the people on the desk would give out (which sells many other items including refreshments, supplies and phonecards). The people on the desk have a self-confessed low level of IT literacy, and from my meeting yesterday are a little perturbed at having now to use a computer. They also have to face the complaints of things that arnt working (yet) in the new linux system!

Chillispot is looking rather good MZ (perhaps you have ridden to our rescue yet again?). It has a ticket printing utility, and apparently can be installed not only on routers, but many different linux systems...including Red Hat which I understand Smoothwall is loosley based upon. Im going to do some more reading up today to see if it fits the bill.

MagicZaurus

PostPosted: Fri 19 Jun 2009, 11:04    Post subject: Concept  

If you want to implement your own solution on the Smoothwall, then this might be possible like this.

1) Redirect all traffic with an ip-tables rule to a webserver which is running some login/authentication page.

2) Login page verifies code of voucher and registers MAC of client.

3) Allow traffic to outside world (internet) for that specific MAC for a time of 1 hour by adding a ip-tables rule.

Not too difficult, but also not so easy to do it in 5 minutes. Beside from what I read, Smoothwall guys don't recommend to run a webserver on the firewall.
ecomoney

PostPosted: Wed 24 Jun 2009, 08:52    Post subject:  

Ive had a look everywhere, chillispot charges for its vouchers Crying or Very sad It needs bank facilities in order to process authentications!

All that is needed is a "cash for a voucher" system like you suggest....cash really is the only real currency anymore in any case.

MZ if you could do a system like the one you suggest...the glory (and the money) is yours!

Page 2 of 3 [31 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: