HanSamBen-a derivative of Edupup with Gcompris 8.4- Alpha V2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
sunburnt

#241 Post by sunburnt »

Uploaded a new pupin-edit, beta. 2.
It has a command MU gave me to refresh the desktop, read the post.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 467#343467

sunburnt

#242 Post by sunburnt »

### Success !!! New ROX desktop icon manager app. is Beta 3.
I renamed it to: roxDTicon (it just makes more sense than pupin-edit).
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=46875

sidders

#243 Post by sidders »

Worked out the disable right click (which was giving me sleepless nights)
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 551#345551

Tried my little scripts with the sfs. You can only load one at a time. Going to study Sunburnts roxDTicon. Could a conf file be made in the sfs for the uttillity?. Just another idea.

sunburnt

#244 Post by sunburnt »

sidders; ecomoney asked almost the same thing.
roxDTicon should be part of the main Puppy distro. then all apps. can use it.
However that may not happen so it certainly could be included in every SFS file.

As I`ve stated, a Bash script in SFS files could to do the setup needed.
The SFS Manager would run the script after mounting and then again to cleanup.
The script could have an argument: "-m" for the mount, and "-u" to unmount.
That way it sets thing up and then cleans up after itself.
Desktop icons and menu items are several of the things it could do.

sidders

#245 Post by sidders »

I see, put the script in the sfs.

SFS manager. Rather than dig about in initrd, could use something like JRB's load_sfs.pet, and tweak that to look for Surnburnt's roxDTicon.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 559#339559

sunburnt

#246 Post by sunburnt »

Yep... There`s any number of possibilities.
Like jrb, if you modded the Boot Manager, then it can call roxDTicons .

An SFS file will have to have roxDTicon in it, if it`s used by a Puppy that doesn`t have it.
So a script that runs roxDTicon ( and are both in the SFS file ),
that tells roxDTicon to make icons for the apps. in the SFS file.

scrbbles

Saving settings

#247 Post by scrbbles »

I am a parent who has installed HanSamBen on an old laptop. I want to be able tto save settings, including network settings, as this will be occasionally shared with an 11 year old.

how can i force it to save settings?

sidders

#248 Post by sidders »

Hello Scribbles.

We're still working on the documentation and other things, however, when you first shut down, you should be asked to
Save To File
. It is this file that will save your personal settings for the next time you start.

If you have saved to file, could you please give us some more details on how you run HSB e.g from a disc or installed to the laptop, and how you are connected to the network if the settings are not being saved.

Sidders

scrbbles

Laptop loaded

#249 Post by scrbbles »

I'm not new to puppy. I just wanted something more accessible to a 3 year old. I am using the alpha version 3 full and I have two partitions on my laptop. In one partition is puppy 4.11 installed full. The first time I ran it, it asked where and when to save. Therefore, It has a save file. When I used the original hansamben alpha 2, it kept picking up the save file and messing things up. Now wih version 3 it doesn't pick he pup_save file. It also doesn't ask me to save it ever. It just says "session not saved".

This is not good for the laptop because I don't expect my 3 year old to understand how to set up the mouse, keyboard, and video at everyboot.

This is an old laptop (samsumg lifebook with touch screen) running a celeron with 96 M ram; and it runs pretty darn quickly.

sidders

#250 Post by sidders »

My apologise, i saw it was your first post and assumed (wrongly).

V3 no longer has a pup_save, it has changed to hsb_save. Never-the-less it keeps saying session not saved, so i will fire it up and look into it.
Has anybody else had this problem?,.

sidders

#251 Post by sidders »

I have taken V3 down, tested, re hashed the sfs, tested and uploaded to the same location with the md5.

It still saves as HSB_save.

Sunburnt - Dont Panic. i will test your script.

sidders

#252 Post by sidders »

I have been experimenting with the script in the SFS, and JRB's load_sfs.pet. It works great. The script is dropped into /root/my-aplications/bin. Added IF statement to tghe load_sfs to have a look, if theres one there execute it, which in turn will execute roxDTicon.
I did map out the icons first manually, so they are precoded to load in a line at the right hand side of the screen.
The V3 uploaded above has all the icons shuffled over to the left to accomodate this.[/url]

scrbbles

Still says "session not saved"

#253 Post by scrbbles »

Hi,

I downloaded your new version. checked the chk sum. It still doesnt let me save. could you possibly provide me with a blank hsb_save file so that i may begin saving the settings?

sidders

#254 Post by sidders »

Scribbles- i'm thinking and testing on as many machines i can get my hands on (thats 3). i may post just the rc.shutdown. bear with me.

sidders

#255 Post by sidders »

Scribbles. I have downloaded and burnt the V3 iso and tested it and in all cases its ok. I then re-read your post
In one partition is puppy 4.11 installed full. The first time I ran it, it asked where and when to save. Therefore, It has a save file. When I used the original hansamben alpha 2, it kept picking up the save file and messing things up.
If you are using a full install, then puppy doesnt have a pup_save. With 96mb ram i suspect this is the case, however it is still prompting for the keyboard and mouse. If you do have a pup_save from V2, rename it to hsb_save....2fs, V3 will pick this up.

All. Had a play with the load_sfs.pet. It works but there are problems after rebooting, the icons are still there but showing the exclamation mark and the sfs isnt reloaded. I did move them to another level from mount home to workaround the bootmanager. I'll move them back.

I'm getting a few live cd's out to the mother and toddler group i go to on Wednesdays, ive got access to lightscribe (mother in law) so i will tart it up with the bouncy tux.
I've also got a couple of old PC sprayed painted to jazz them up which will go to a willing volunteer for a week or so to eek out any bugs or flaws.

Rob- you really moving to Scaraborough.

Sully - What can i do with docs, i dont want to plough ahead and find youve already done it. Also the V3 i replaced is not configured to any certain mouse or resolution.

sidders

#256 Post by sidders »

SFS load. I dropped the sfs_load on the fly and went back to the Bootmanager, as i found you had to right click on the sfs after each boot to reload it. So thats back to the traditional method. As for the Icons. The sfs will drop a script into the Startup folder. Added a couple of lines to the rc.shutdown to remove any *icon files it finds in the Startup folder so its a one off operation. I'll look into the bootmanager some more as it states you can only load 3 sfs's.

Found the answer to the 3 sfs problem
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=36733

The problem now is, if the full CD is being used live or booted off the CD. Will have to incorporate grub into the cd. Looks tricky.[/url]

sidders

#257 Post by sidders »

The SFS in a frugal. After the initial save file created the bootmanager kicks in listing the SFS files. The message about 3 sfs's only has been modified to"if booting from CD 3 sfs's only, if using Grub up to 24" or sonething along those lines. As with the new initrd you have to add
/vmlinuz max_loop=28
to the Kernel line in Grub.
I have updated the oneclick install script to include this. Need to do it in the PUI.

The bootmanager will look for the icon script in the Startup dir and execute it if its there. On shutdown the rc.shutdown will also have a look and if there are icon scripts in the Startup dir it will remove them. It works, you can use the SFS straight away from the desktop without a reboot!!!.

In a full install the Sfs installer has been modified to look in the Startup dir and execute anything there, again the rc.shutdown will remove any icon scripts. The only problem is the SFS files have to be moved to / or at least to any directory that can be browsed. Something needs to copy them across from the cd, or something, a post install script maybe, along those lines.

Suggestions please.

I will concentrate on the full install as i think the frugal is sorted. I will burn and test the kiosk\live as well before uploading. I always test copying the files for a frugal to a partition it saves on CD's.

sidders

#258 Post by sidders »

Full install. After going through the PUI script several times, i have decided that its too hard to make head nor tail of, so i will come up with a post install option.
After a long hard think, a post install script, that checks the pupmode (2 for full install) mounts the cd, copies the sfs files to / and kicks off the sfs installer.

technosaurus

#259 Post by technosaurus »

Thought I'd share this little article

Teaching Kids Programming with Free Programming Languages (For when they are too young for Anjuta - or in our case Geany)
http://www.junauza.com/2009/10/teaching ... free.html#

Edit: Even better news - (source is Gcompris git)
since the last gcompris release... well here is an excerpt

Code: Select all

+dnl SDLMixer support+AC_MSG_CHECKING([wether we build with SDLMixer (will replace gstreamer by sdl mixer if enabled)])+AC_ARG_ENABLE(sdlmixer,+          AC_HELP_STRING(+          [--enable-sdlmixer],+          [Turn on sdl mixer (will replace gstreamer by sdl mixer)]),+          with_sdlmixer="$enableval", with_sdlmixer="no")+AC_MSG_RESULT($with_sdlmixer)+
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

scrbbles

Doesn't Save Settings

#260 Post by scrbbles »

I downloaded a copy right after you said that you tested and in all cases okay. Still when I downloaded and installed (frugal) it still said "session not saved".

Have you changed anything since then?

Also- reread your post...i meant frugal. All installations are frugal for ease of upgrade.