HanSamBen-a derivative of Edupup with Gcompris 8.4- Alpha V2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
muggins

#181 Post by muggins »

sidders,

any link to pebbles?

sidders

#182 Post by sidders »

As far as i can tell, Pebbles is started in initrd, where as Splashy starts in the user space. I have Splashy running, but without an image,just a blank screen.

Code: Select all

splashy test
throws up a signal error.
S(!) [ 5008: 0.000] --> Caught signal 11 (at (nil), invalid address) <--
Splashy caught signal number 6. Exiting...

Could this be something to do with run levels?. I cant find the page that told me how Puppy works\boots.

I used directfb 1.2.2 (compiled from source), libmagic and splashy 0.3.13-5, Glib-2.12.12 and libsplashycnf from debian

With Pebbles, i can get the spash, but thats it. Either X doesnt kick in, or the splash doesnt stop.

I used fresh save files every time i have a go

edited to reflect all the details

sidders

#183 Post by sidders »

Couldnt get Splashy to work and even if it did, i would still have to start the script from initrd. So i will look again at Pebble and keep it Puppy.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=26339

Before i do that though i will stop scurrying off down rabbit holes and address the 2 outstanding issues of coins and gcompris on 64mb ram, theres still the full install to look at and documentation, which i made a start on.

sidders

#184 Post by sidders »

Just been doing the coins for the US. I downloaded images, they were Png's, i converted them to Gif's with Gimp, but they looked pants. I tried to change the coins.kit to look for pngs, alas it wouldnt have it at all.

Will carry on the search for gifs.

sidders

#185 Post by sidders »

Catdude came up with the goods with the coins. Some mint (pardon the pun) Gifs, but something cropped up i didnt see coming.. The denominations. May i suggest the US mint get a 2 cent and a $2 coin on the go, because being British we have 7 coins (and the NHS) whereas you only have 5!. I struggle with bash never mind TCL.

There may be hope though, i remeber from my recent foray into Pebble someone who might be able to help.

CatDude

#186 Post by CatDude »

Hello sidders
sidders wrote:Catdude came up with the goods with the coins. Some mint (pardon the pun) Gifs, but something cropped up i didnt see coming.. The denominations. May i suggest the US mint get a 2 cent and a $2 coin on the go, because being British we have 7 coins (and the NHS) whereas you only have 5!. I struggle with bash never mind TCL.
I thought i sent you 6 ?
  • US-Dime-back.gif
    US-Dime-front.gif
    US-Dollar-Coin-back.gif
    US-Dollar-Coin-front.gif
    US-Half-Dollar-back.gif
    US-Half-Dollar-front.gif
    US-Nickel-back.gif
    US-Nickel-front.gif
    US-Penny-back.gif
    US-Penny-front.gif
    US-Quarter-back.gif
    US-Quarter-front.gif
CatDude
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

sidders

#187 Post by sidders »

You did Catdude, its me struggling to count past 5 :?

WarMocK has come to the rescue and sorted the coins game for the US. It required a bit more juggling than i anticipated.

Thanks Warmock and Catdude.unzip and drop it into a bin folder.
Last edited by sidders on Tue 01 Sep 2009, 20:30, edited 1 time in total.

sidders

#188 Post by sidders »

jamalexa . I took my time, but i have tested gcompris on a pc with 64mb ram and it ran ok.

The set up is CPU 600mhz, 64mb ram and 128 swap. Full install.

Can you run gcompris from terminal and see if it throws up any errors.
Last edited by sidders on Sun 30 Aug 2009, 21:15, edited 1 time in total.

WarMocK

#189 Post by WarMocK »

@sidders: you're welcome. :D
I'm glad that some people didn't forget what you can actually do with TCL/TK. And it's another proof that I decided right when I included it into my K-9 puplet. Which reminds me that I still have to work on my improved version of our beloved Media Utility Tool...

sullysat

#190 Post by sullysat »

Howdy folks,

I'm finally finishing up with the summer round of business trips and trying to catch up with things in Puppyland, including HSB.

I see that a LOT of stuff has been added to the puplet and that's good, especially if its about having things that the younglings can play with. I haven't sorted it all out, but I'm looking forward to playing with it more myself.

I loaded ran it up on a new (old) laptop I just picked up (PII 366 w/ 256Mb RAM) and of course had to deal with the screen resolution issues as this machine maxes out at 800x600x16. It appears that we're assuming a 1204x768 minimum screen size, correct? I'm not criticing so much as planning ahead.

I can always tweak it for the customer, but I really need to know two things.

1. How did I start that darn cat and mouse thing where the mouse should be.
2. How do I turn it off?!

Once I know that, I can focus on playing with the other stuff.

Sully

sidders

#191 Post by sidders »

That must be Oneko. To turn it off
PS, to kill it open a terminal and type "killall okeko"...(his name is oneko)

Welcome back Sully

sullysat

#192 Post by sullysat »

sidders wrote:That must be Oneko. To turn it off
PS, to kill it open a terminal and type "killall okeko"...(his name is oneko)

Welcome back Sully
Whew Thanks! That *&$%$# cat was driving me insane. I'm sure the kids like it, but I'm OLD!

jamalexa

#193 Post by jamalexa »

Thanks for all the work. I work at two schools and we are closed until Sept. 8th. I'll try the terminal when I can get up to the p II.I have to tweek the sound for gcompris. Later this week I'm going to install puppy on 6 p III computers and drop the coins in and give it a run.

ecomoney

#194 Post by ecomoney »

Welcome Back SullySat, hope you had a great summer. HSB is looking quite polished nowadays, perhaps if Sidders considers the coding work more or less complete, you could start on some documentation soon.

School is starting soon, so I will update the versions at the preschool.
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

cthisbear

#195 Post by cthisbear »

" HSB is looking quite polished nowadays "

""""""

When is sidders final HSB going to be uploaded Robert???
Or did I miss something?

If we Aussies can't beat you at Cricket we'll beat you with
inane questions.

Chris.

TheProphet

#196 Post by TheProphet »

CatDude wrote:Hello sidders
sidders wrote:Catdude came up with the goods with the coins. Some mint (pardon the pun) Gifs, but something cropped up i didnt see coming.. The denominations. May i suggest the US mint get a 2 cent and a $2 coin on the go, because being British we have 7 coins (and the NHS) whereas you only have 5!. I struggle with bash never mind TCL.
I thought i sent you 6 ?
  • US-Dime-back.gif
    US-Dime-front.gif
    US-Dollar-Coin-back.gif
    US-Dollar-Coin-front.gif
    US-Half-Dollar-back.gif
    US-Half-Dollar-front.gif
    US-Nickel-back.gif
    US-Nickel-front.gif
    US-Penny-back.gif
    US-Penny-front.gif
    US-Quarter-back.gif
    US-Quarter-front.gif
CatDude
Penny, nickel, dime, quarter half-dollar (no new mintings in like 30 years on the fifty cent piece) and now 2 sizes of Dollar Coin, one slightly larger than a quarter, with Susan B Anthony, a US womens rights pioneer, the other size has Sakajaweea, an American Indian woman who was an interpreter and guide for the Lewis and Clark expedition...

And a new series featuring all the U.S. presidents from Washington to Obama.

Almost impossible to find a coin-operated machine that takes any of the dollar coins though. Same with the half-dollar.

The dollar coins would have to be more advanced lessons in money recognition and counting.One, the Susan B Anthony coin, looks amazingly like the quarter dollar.

Maybe the dollar coins would be better lessons for American history.
He who skydive without parachute, jumps to own conclusion.

sullysat

#197 Post by sullysat »

ecomoney wrote:Welcome Back SullySat, hope you had a great summer. HSB is looking quite polished nowadays, perhaps if Sidders considers the coding work more or less complete, you could start on some documentation soon.

School is starting soon, so I will update the versions at the preschool.
If you or sidders want to start sending documentation for individual programs, or pointing me to them, I can start piecing together the operating instructions for them into one document.

Also, if someone has an editable copy of the last Puppy manual that would be helpful. Otherwise, I can try to c/p from the pdf that I have.

@sidders and anyone else that has these notes, there has been some discussion in the thread about how to make certain things happen, like turning off Oneko, resizing windows, etc. These things will need to be included as well, so if there's a list somewhere, please PM it to me.

I'm not sure what the vision is for documentation and I've been too busy this summer to actively look for a test bed of my own, but I'm thinking of a user oriented document containing:

1. Basic Puppy operating instructions, pulled from existing material and edited appropriately.
2. Operating instructions for all included HSB programs. By this I mean all the kid related software, not things like Abiword and Seamonkey. I would want to include all the special tweaks like windows resizing, etc with these instructions.
3. Anything that the feedback has shown to be 'need to know' for the kids or teachers.

We shouldn't have to write from scratch as all of these programs should have SOME sort of documentation. I expect that most of what we'll need would be pulling the relevant material out of the documentation and shaping it up for our purposes.

Thoughts?

Sully

sullysat

#198 Post by sullysat »

OKay, totally off topic, but related.

Never did this before.

I have HSB (old version) on the HD as a frugal install in a folder. Isn't there an easy way to copy a couple of files and update to the new version?

Seems to me I read about that once... it was supposed to be an advantage for frugal.. but I can't find anything in my searches.

jamalexa

Wine with that pup.

#199 Post by jamalexa »

Question, what pet of wine should I use? I want to try to load some freeware games I have on the p 3 computers.

sidders

#200 Post by sidders »

@Sullysat- you just need to copy the Vmlinuz, initrd.gz and the sfs file (hsb_412..sfs.)
Will start on the docs immediately.
@jamalexa - i have never tried WINE. I will give it a whirl later. Wine Pet here http://puppylinux.asia/members/T/486_pet/ to play with.