Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 23 Sep 2014, 16:33
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Puppy 4.3 ?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 5 of 7 [98 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
James C

PostPosted: Sun 26 Apr 2009, 01:40    Post subject:  

TTuuxxx, it was my bad. I made an ill-advised comment in my post and I can't type a lick so I didn't get it edited as fast as I would have liked.

Guess thats why there is a "preview" button.............now all I need to do is use it.... Laughing Laughing Laughing
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Sun 26 Apr 2009, 01:49    Post subject:  

Quote:
In 421 & loaded devx sfs & ooo sfs successfully

Yes I did an update from 4.2, OpenOffice and XaraLX working OK.
Is Pcrypt new or did I not notice it before?

One thing I want to mention is the default menu icons in Deep Thought (from Zigbert?) these are so clear and obvious. At the moment they are all orange, in the future (maybe) colour could be introduced to help the almost subconscious recognition that is possible?

After 4..2.1 Final is out I feel it will be worthwhile offering some Deep Thought on how we as a community can help rather than hinder our developers. Smile

01micko

PostPosted: Sun 26 Apr 2009, 02:23    Post subject:  

ttuuxxx wrote:
01micko wrote:
Can we lock this thread now? Laughing Laughing Laughing

why do you want it locked mick?
ttuuxxx

Just kidding ttuuxxx, you know, the pink panther approach to 421 Wink

Your're ok James C Cool

WhoDo

PostPosted: Sun 26 Apr 2009, 04:57    Post subject:  

Lobster wrote:

Thanks, Ed. For one horrible moment I thought one of the key features of Puppy had been crashed by something. It's nice to know it hasn't.

Lobster wrote:

I tried to sneek that one in just to see if anyone would notice! You get the chocolate frog, Ed. Laughing

Lobster wrote:
One thing I want to mention is the default menu icons in Deep Thought (from Zigbert?) these are so clear and obvious. At the moment they are all orange, in the future (maybe) colour could be introduced to help the almost subconscious recognition that is possible?

I've been wanting to explain something about these icons for some time and never had the opportunity. I have taken some flack, at times, for including what seemed like flat, dull and uninteresting icons as the default look in Deep Thought. It was even suggested I might have been intimidated by a developer into using them when I didn't really want to. Let me state right now that nothing can be further from the truth. And before that ignites any renewed debate, I hold no-one personally responsible for the comments either.

What I do want to explain is exactly why I kept the flat, minimalist icons in the default look. It has to do with consistency. The default wallpaper is simple, clear and straightforward. It conveys what I wanted to convey about the country of Puppy's origins - sun, sea and sand. The colour scheme continued that theme. More importantly, the main menu icons also continued that theme. When I look at those icons I think of the pictures we used to draw in the sand with a stick when we were kids. They conjure memories of the seaside and happy times IMHO.

So there you have it. No conspiracy. Just a simple desire to convey a consistent and unified interface for our first Puppy without Barry.

Lobster wrote:
After 4..2.1 Final is out I feel it will be worthwhile offering some Deep Thought on how we as a community can help rather than hinder our developers. Smile

Good idea, as long as its constructive and doesn't mull over past mistakes in that regard. There has been pain in the process of giving birth to Deep Thought. Like any parents let's forget the pain and share the joy of the new arrival. Just my $0.02c

ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Sun 26 Apr 2009, 05:13    Post subject:  

Lobster wrote:
Quote:
In 421 & loaded devx sfs & ooo sfs successfully

The ugly 24x24 flat orange menu icons are Zigberts, the 24x24 submenu icons are ones I provided. They are more noticeable in icewm because it uses 24x24 submenu icons, in jwm they are decreased to 16x16

ttuuxxx

raffy

PostPosted: Sun 26 Apr 2009, 06:14    Post subject: original  

You mean by "ug***" the original icons supplied byZigbert? I understand that you have talent in graphics, so Zigbert needs your help very badly. Smile

(Uh, sorry guys, just want you to forgive ttuuxxx who just used a "u".)

Now, back to 4.2.1 testing...

ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Sun 26 Apr 2009, 06:33    Post subject: Re: original  

raffy wrote:
You mean by "ug***" the original icons supplied byZigbert? I understand that you have talent in graphics, so Zigbert needs your help very badly. Smile

(Uh, sorry guys, just want you to forgive ttuuxxx who just used a "u".)

Now, back to 4.2.1 testing...

na its not just his ugly flat orange icons 24x24 menu, also those flat blackish ones used in woof, and the default flat orange theme, zigbert did good on the desktop icons, but the menu ones ewwwww, lol
ttuuxxx

01micko

PostPosted: Sun 26 Apr 2009, 06:44    Post subject:  

Quote:
....also those flat blackish ones used in woof,...

They were made by jebaJQ8, and I like 'em! As does BK, mainly because they are small in kB I think. They are a good option IMO.

It's all about taste. Funny thing, I happen to agree that bling is useless! Laughing But I said it once before.... "sex sells". And we aren't selling a lemon here. Wink I'm sure any dev here would agree with that. Smile

So far so good for me with 4.21. Nice job WhoDo(es Wink )

Cheers

droope

PostPosted: Sun 26 Apr 2009, 08:02    Post subject:  

ttuuxxx wrote:
Hello

Looks like a start to a beautiful friendship Smile Excellent starting point and if I know you, Which personally I don't lol But what I've seen of your track record you'll turn this into a default player for puppy Smile

I also listen to a lot of Mp3's, What Features I like the most are
well with xmms I always use stream tuner, I really like listening to online radio. News, Music, from back home in Canada, So it would be great if future models might be able to play streaming music with a Favorite station list.

Also simple stuff like eq range from 15hz-40khz or ,maybe just a treble, midrange, and low control? Balance and volume equalizer. jeese while I'm at it why not included a online video stream player also to play asx files Smile I guess maybe by version 1.5 or something Smile

LOL sorry I couldn't resist, I'm very happy to see this project happen.

thanks
ttuuxxx

p.s how's that new front end for prozilla coming along Smile LOL I know its on a list, just seen a spot open. LOL

I wonder what happened Shocked
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Sun 26 Apr 2009, 08:49    Post subject:  

01micko wrote:
Quote:
....also those flat blackish ones used in woof,...

They were made by jebaJQ8, and I like 'em! As does BK, mainly because they are small in kB I think. (es Wink )

Cheers

Not really remember that blueish gnome icon theme I put together for dpup it was about 20-30kb larger expanded about 2-5 kb compressed,lol
Thats why I dislike the flat ones, they are so unappealing to look at, and when your used to 2d images and you go down to flat, All you want to do is change them straight away. The theme is smaller than deep thought and Stardust, just remember images really compress when you convert them into a sfs, a lot more than .so and bin files.
ttuuxxx

ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Sun 26 Apr 2009, 09:28    Post subject:  

droope wrote:
ttuuxxx wrote:
Hello

Looks like a start to a beautiful friendship Smile Excellent starting point and if I know you, Which personally I don't lol But what I've seen of your track record you'll turn this into a default player for puppy Smile

well with xmms I always use stream tuner, I really like listening to online radio. News, Music, from back home in Canada, So it would be great if future models might be able to play streaming music with a Favorite station list.

Also simple stuff like eq range from 15hz-40khz or ,maybe just a treble, midrange, and low control? Balance and volume equalizer. jeese while I'm at it why not included a online video stream player also to play asx files Smile I guess maybe by version 1.5 or something Smile

thanks
ttuuxxx

p.s how's that new front end for prozilla coming along Smile LOL I know its on a list, just seen a spot open. LOL

I had a whole page response to that question and I deleted it
What happened he chooses to compete against me twice in 2 months, he made widgets instead of bringing better usability to puppy, things people are crying for it and ignored ideas,view, etc. He pretty much became a self consumed A$$#@#$. I at onetime admired and respected him and his work, Then He changed. It would take a lot to regain it back. But actually he did impress me with his latest Pmusic update, release like yesterday, a lot of the issues I've been publicly speaking against, he actually fixed Smile most of them. Best update yet. When people have limited resources the last thing they want to do is leave things running in the background.
pfind/gtkdialog3 double the amount of system resources than Search monkey and Search monkey shuts-down 100% of the time. Which is better for puppy? But because he is a puppy developer who makes apps for puppy, Pfind will be default and Search monkey a forum software section item, just nuts, its the puppy users getting second rate software to make there developers happy, really compared bmp vs Pmusic, at the moment Zigbert only has 1 GUI that at this point is better, thats PBurn, just due to features over xfburn, but not stability. So then you have to weigh-up Features, developer on one side and stability on the other.
ttuuxxx

droope

PostPosted: Sun 26 Apr 2009, 20:32    Post subject:  

ttuuxxx wrote:
droope wrote:
ttuuxxx wrote:
Hello

thanks
ttuuxxx

I had a whole page response to that question and I deleted it
What happened he chooses to compete against me twice in 2 months, he made widgets instead of bringing better usability to puppy, things people are crying for it and ignored ideas,view, etc. He pretty much became a self consumed A$$#@#$. I at onetime admired and respected him and his work, Then He changed. It would take a lot to regain it back. But actually he did impress me with his latest Pmusic update, release like yesterday, a lot of the issues I've been publicly speaking against, he actually fixed Smile most of them. Best update yet. When people have limited resources the last thing they want to do is leave things running in the background.
pfind/gtkdialog3 double the amount of system resources than Search monkey and Search monkey shuts-down 100% of the time. Which is better for puppy? But because he is a puppy developer who makes apps for puppy, Pfind will be default and Search monkey a forum software section item, just nuts, its the puppy users getting second rate software to make there developers happy, really compared bmp vs Pmusic, at the moment Zigbert only has 1 GUI that at this point is better, thats PBurn, just due to features over xfburn, but not stability. So then you have to weigh-up Features, developer on one side and stability on the other.
ttuuxxx

That's clearly a strong point of view. I think, however, that having our own programmes makes puppy more unique, and, having the programmer on-board, makes easier to add or remove unwanted features.

Besides, as we all know, all Ps are currently under heavy developement, so it's really a big project Zigbert's in... you can't expect anyone to have perfect software in a few months, i'd say, at least, give the man a chance. On the pwidgets issue, there is a whole sub-community there... I think they find it really really usefull (as crazy as that sounds, for me at least)

This is my humble attempt to make peace reign over puppy, but i drank a beer earlier so I might not be thinking clearly Mr. Green
Cheers!
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Sun 26 Apr 2009, 20:42    Post subject:  

If anyone wanted a lot of utf8 compliant mime types with locales, I compiled it yesterday and added the puppy mimes to it. Probably would help out in the utf8 effort. Maybe too big for default, anyways here it is
ttuuxxx
shared-mime-info-0.60-i386.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  shared-mime-info-0.60-i386.pet 
Filesize  769.62 KB 
Downloaded  301 Time(s) 

trapster

PostPosted: Sun 26 Apr 2009, 21:29    Post subject:  

Why are you posting this in a "Puppy4.3 (cancelled)" post ? lol

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Puppeee4.31 + 1.0, Puppy4.10 + Lupu52
Currently using Slacko AND lupu52 w/ fluxbox
raffy

PostPosted: Sun 26 Apr 2009, 21:57    Post subject: cancelled  

Because perhaps ttuuxxx is betting that Lobster will change the title to "Puppy 4.2 concluded". Smile
Page 5 of 7 [98 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Jump to: