puppies 4.2 unofficial updated with Bling "SUE edition"

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
WhoDo

Re: Puppy-4.2.1 second release candidate Abiword .docx issue

#106 Post by WhoDo »

rwishlaw wrote:Office 2007 .docx file displayed readable text in AbiWord although an image embedded in the document was not visible.
Thanks for that rwishlaw. Now all we need is to set the MIME-type so clicking on .docx files will open them automatically. It doesn't surprise me that the embedded image isn't visible. Microsoft has pretty well hacked the .docx format in a way that makes it almost incomprehensible to those trying for compatibility. I guess Microsoft's response would be "it reads fine in Word 2007?" :P
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

WhoDo

#107 Post by WhoDo »

cthisbear wrote:Not happy Jan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2akt3P8ltLM

Know that feeling babe.
Aw ... shashlick! I think I'd better leave town! :P

Chris, how about I post you a personal note when I know for sure you can play your mp4 files in Puppy? That way you won't have to download and try every new release in the faint hope of being surprised!

I thought I had the mp4 MIME-type sorted, but we'll take another run at it. It doesn't help that I don't have sound on my laptop to test it with though. :roll:
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

ecomoney

#108 Post by ecomoney »

We have a simple bug tracking system now, and a testing methodology/plan. I think thats worth some delay.

With 2.15ce I fixed the problems/made usability improvements myself (creating ecopup), and my local community benefited. If I help with things in the main puppy linux release, everyone benefits. Out of the two approaches, the former is the easiest for me definitely.

FYI, "Ecomoney Systems Ltd" does not offer puppy linux 4.2 or any other standard Puppy Linux "commercially". All we "sell" is ecopup 0.7.3....either on a recycled computer or over the top of an XP/Vista system. I offer 3 months warranty on installations of it. I use the money to pay for part of the cost of running a (very small and cheap) car, an internet connection, webhosting/mirror....and to pay toward the internet connection/expenses of an administrator/secretary who does the companies books. Ive lost out on a lot of work in the time Ive spent on 4.2, and currently cant even afford to renew the domain name on my main website www.ecomoney.co.uk (about £3).

I wish the tax people here in the U.K. were as convinced Ecomoney Systems was a legitimate business as some members of the forum, they have been trying to strike it from the register of companies for some time now. They are wondering why I havnt cleared a profit or paid myself anything from it in four years. Simply, I have a "registered" business because it was registered for me (for free) from a goverment scheme some time ago, and it allows me to collect waste computers from the Schools here. It also allows me to keep my business expenses separate from my own personal income, which is currently £50UKP a week unemployment if you must know.

I am no Bill Gates
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

ecomoney

#109 Post by ecomoney »

cthisbear...you could always try your luck adding your issue to the bug tracker...or try www.media-convert.com
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

cthisbear

#110 Post by cthisbear »

WhoDo:

" It doesn't help that I don't have sound on my laptop to test it
with though. Rolling Eyes "

Fair enough.
Can't try Puppy for a minute on a desktop though
and test a MP4?

Sorry. Just ticked me off that's all.
Old canine joke.

Chris.

Jim1911

#111 Post by Jim1911 »

WhoDo,

I've been trying your secret update 4.2.1r2 with a clean frugal installation. Everything seems to be working fine except for one minor problem, xsane. Xsane fails to recognize my HP5280 usb scanner and reports "no devices available". Only extras I loaded and tested were FF3, and OO3 sfs which both worked fine. Firefox 3.0.10 hasn't crashed and has been very stable on all sites that I've checked.

Also, my pup_save420.2fs, with a number software additions, updated without any problems.

Thank you for all the hard work that you've put into this.
Jim

System: Dell Dimension 8250, Pent 4 at 2.40GHz, 1.5GB ram, 128 MB ATI Radeon 9700 Pro graphics card with TV-out and DVI, Soundblaster Live with 5.1 audio, Intel Pro 100M Integrated PCI NIC Card, HP Photosmart 5280 All-in-One, Printer-Scanner-Copier

WhoDo

#112 Post by WhoDo »

Jim1911 wrote:Everything seems to be working fine except for one minor problem, xsane. Xsane fails to recognize my HP5280 usb scanner and reports "no devices available".
Jim, there is an xsane patch in the Puppy-4.2 Official Patches & Updates thread that I included in the build. Can you download the patch and install it again to see if there is a problem with the way it builds? If that works then I'll have to work out why it doesn't if included when I build from Unleashed.

Sylvander

#113 Post by Sylvander »

I've noticed some nice features/components in Puppy 4.2.1r2, but...

Where should problems be reported relating to 4.2.1r2? :(

WhoDo

#114 Post by WhoDo »

Sylvander wrote:I've noticed some nice features/components in Puppy 4.2.1r2, but...

Where should problems be reported relating to 4.2.1r2? :(
In this thread below would be the appropriate place, Sylvander.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php?f=40