Woofathon

Please post any bugs you have found
tronkel

#31 Post by tronkel »

ttuuxxx wrote:
how about dewoofified?
Ah yes, de-woofification is a really serious matter though when it concerns a Puppy base version.

Definition:

De-woofification can occur when a previously woofified version of Puppy Linux has been found by Ecomoney (hereafter referred to as The Plaintiff) to have too many serious bugs.

On official application to WhoDo (hereafter referred to as The Defendant) for clarification of a bugfixed release schedule - and in the case where The Plaintiff gets no joy on this, he has the right to apply to Higher Authority (i.e.Lobster) who has the final say on whether or not the offending version is to be de-woofified and returned to the less noble state of an ordinary Puppy base version.

If no agreement can be reached on this by all of the involved parties, then it has to go to an appeals panel consisting of Alienjeff, Otropogo and myself.

Take it or leave it.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

raffy

jury

#32 Post by raffy »

Ahhhh, make it an excellent jury of two, 'coz. you'll have to be the judge. :D

I understand you've had some success with dpup (Debian-based woof), and ttuuxxx has tried hard to feed that puppy (Hey, I like it, too). You must be playing with him (dpup) now - it shows in your mood.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

davec51

Various Woes, Some Old, Some New

#33 Post by davec51 »

These are early experiences:
1. Any of the shurdown options leads to refreshing of wm, can't shut down or reboot through the menu.
2. "Play" icon does nothing; no media player in start menu.
3. Installed Freecell 1.2, but can't start it.
4. Pnethood can't find my wired network. I don't seem to have SAMBA.

The muted desktop is great.
PII intel, 400mhtz, Xvesa only, 256 RAM. All previous Puppies have been good and faithful hunting dogs.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#34 Post by Béèm »

A good definition of Jaunty. :wink:
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

John Doe

#35 Post by John Doe »

BarryK
Puppy Master

#36 Post by BarryK »

ravensrest wrote:Just downloaded upup-416, burned an iso, and tried it. Here are my results thus far:

Fotox index image fonts almost unreadable
Pmusic won't play anything but does generate a playlist
Abiword now opens my old Word files with good fonts
Scroll wheel doesn't do anything, anywhere
No menu icons
Leafpad misaligned in menu
"Menu" on tray button is not centered
No gxine, hence no play when clicking icon
Background colors in tray icons are not consistent

I also don't care much for incorporating the pet package manager and puppy installer on one popup. Would prefer them as separate functions.

Thanks so much, so far.
BS
Some of your bug reports are very strange. Did you attempt to upgrade from a 4.2 pup-save file?
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#37 Post by BarryK »

tronkel wrote:Woofability is something that another distro has.

For example, Ubuntu has a high woofability rating because it can easily be used to make a Puppy Woof version that uses its (Ubuntu's) packages.

Whereas Fedora has no woofability. (not yet anyway).

Debian on the other hand is highly woofable.

Lol! what am I going on about? People from other distros reading all this stuff must really get the impression that all Puppians are nuts!

Remember you heard it all here first!
tronkel,
That could catch on. I am already thinking of distros in terms of their woofability :D

`f00

#38 Post by `f00 »

:lol: possibly might be taken oddly in some instances - hereabouts 'woofing' is a softer version of the 'hurling' experience of overly enthusiastic participants in the sport ;)

updated earlier post, too - fwiw

tronkel

Synaptic/apt-get/aptitude

#39 Post by tronkel »

As an experiment I tried to get Synaptic, and apt-get to run on the latest Upup based on Woof 4. See attached screenshot.

I got Synaptic apt-get and aptitude running and configured using the /etc/apt configuration directory from my real Jaunty install. Simply copied over the folder from the Jaunty partition.

I installed what I could of apt-get using the Puppy Package Manager plus some missing stuff that I downloaded directly from the official Jaunty repo.

Synaptic then ran and also updated its packages list OK.

It downloads the packages and all the dependencies for a particular package just as normal, but fails on the final install. Apt-get complains about possible circular dependencies and aptitude complains about missing PATH configuration for ldconfig and update-rc.d

I feel that I'm not far away from perpetrating yet another major chutzpa on Ubuntu!

Would be great if this could get fixed. Please let me know if you know how to fix this.
Attachments
synaptic.jpg
(46.32 KiB) Downloaded 508 times
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

FlyingRedGoat

#40 Post by FlyingRedGoat »

Pentium III 512 M ram

Loaded Woofie, selected vesa. I never got the window allowing me to select my screen size.

Was able to log in to the wireless network.

Seamonkey worked fine.

Ayttm started, but when it was time to log in, the window just disappeared. Was not able to restart it.

Noticed no drive icons on screen. Tried to run pmount. Pmount identified My drives and partitions, but disapeared when I tried to mount a drive. I was able to restart pmount, and got the same results.

Finally (out of time) I tried to reboot. The drive icons appeared and it didn't reboot. Now I was able to mount partitions.

Second time I tried to reboot, puppy did.

The most serious bug I found, was my dog decided to play with my roomates cat. :) This never happened when I was running 4.12. :lol:

K

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Synaptic/apt-get/aptitude

#41 Post by BarryK »

tronkel wrote:As an experiment I tried to get Synaptic, and apt-get to run on the latest Upup based on Woof 4. See attached screenshot.

I got Synaptic apt-get and aptitude running and configured using the /etc/apt configuration directory from my real Jaunty install. Simply copied over the folder from the Jaunty partition.

I installed what I could of apt-get using the Puppy Package Manager plus some missing stuff that I downloaded directly from the official Jaunty repo.

Synaptic then ran and also updated its packages list OK.

It downloads the packages and all the dependencies for a particular package just as normal, but fails on the final install. Apt-get complains about possible circular dependencies and aptitude complains about missing PATH configuration for ldconfig and update-rc.d

I feel that I'm not far away from perpetrating yet another major chutzpa on Ubuntu!

Would be great if this could get fixed. Please let me know if you know how to fix this.
I was wondering about that just yesteday!
Try it on alpha 5 v463 Upup.
Anyone want to help tronkel to get this going? It would be amazing, especially if it doesn't take up too much extra space.

panzerpuppy

Woof Alpha 5 BUGS

#42 Post by panzerpuppy »

More alpha5 upup bugs:

- Scrollwheel doesn't work with Xorg. Works great with Xvesa (kdrive).

- The GUI redrawing / graphics performance with Xorg is horrible (using a modern R600 Radeon card). Awfully slow,flickery and jerky with both "vesa" and "radeon". With Xvesa (kdrive) it's extremely snappy. Weird.

There was no such problem with Puppy 4.2 (with vesa) or spup (with radeon)

- Pmount fails to mount anything after mounting and unmounting a drive once. It just closes without a warning or error message.

- Reboot doesn't work. Upup restarts the Xserver if I select the 'reboot' option or exit to the commandline (hard reboot necessary)

- I get these errors in the xerrs.log:

Code: Select all

(EE) Failed to load module "freetype" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) Failed to load module "xtrap" (module does not exist, 0)
WARNING: Deprecated config file /etc/modprobe.conf, all config files belong into /etc/modprobe.d/.
WARNING: Deprecated config file /etc/modprobe.conf, all config files belong into /etc/modprobe.d/.
(EE) config/hal: New input device request failed (8)
(EE) config/hal: New input device request failed (8)
can not set locale properly
- Zfind hangs when doing a search (try to search for 'radeon' in /).
Pfind completes the search and finds the files instantly.

- The Xorg generic 'vesa' driver only allows for a maximum of 1280x1024 resolution on a 1920x1200 or higher resolution screen
With Puppy 4.2 and spup the maximum was 1600x1200

panzerpuppy
Last edited by panzerpuppy on Thu 23 Apr 2009, 05:53, edited 1 time in total.

panzerpuppy

#43 Post by panzerpuppy »

Even more Alpha 5 upup bugs:

- When upup is started with Xvesa (kdrive) , the drive icons do not appear on screen

- With Xvesa freememapplet loads, but doesn't show up in the tray (there's an empty space).

`f00

#44 Post by `f00 »

@panzerpuppy
On my trials with 461, the driveicons and freememapp 'numbers' did not show until the 1st 'Reboot'(restart of X server, more like) from menu (see top of 2nd page for detailed report if you like). A second Reboot from menu actually resulted in a save dialogue with a 'real' reboot - the only time it's happened so far .. all subsequent attempts to reboot or poweroff have failed for me (as you noted, a hardoff seems necessary). Note that I made/make no changes to Xvesa's initial 640x480x16 display, only waited 'til it settled down on the xload graph before the first 'Reboot'(re-X) - the driveicons are only available for me at the lo-res display (disappear upon change to anything else, as far as I can tell from pprocess the pup-event frontend is running just that there's no gui). I'm using a liveCD only for pup and savedirs so far - possibly may try to re-do from pfix=ram and make a regular .2fs on HDD later to see if that works any better :shrug:

It accepts most of the dl'd dotpets I have (Opera 10, wbar and such), but a very few like libxcb-1.0 (needed for Conky-1.6.1 in post v4 pups) freeze the system on attempted install.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#45 Post by Lobster »

Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Tui

xorg -nogo!

#46 Post by Tui »

As i reported in another thread regarding the 463 version,
I had that working with xorg ok! Now after the d/l of 466 and
all the checks, md5sum etc. two re-burns verify etc. I can't get the
xorg to work nor the lan card detection to work.

So after getting it to work in low res vsa-- 600x480 and playing
around to get it into xorg - still no go!

Final can't get machine to power down , go off ! It only wan't to
stay on !

So its back to 463 version!

What's up here ?

Tui

puppyluvr

#47 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
Upup466, with ZA and DEVX on P4 w768mb ram, ATI M7500...
Start up, Xorg, reboot ect all work fine..
Pet packages install fine, Compiler works fine..
Packages from Jaunty are hit and miss, some install, some just say they did. Installed Pidgin, it installed, didnt resolve dep`s, (gstreamer) although it said all dep`s were met...No biggie, as all Pets work fine, (both local and pet repo)..

Bugs....
1. Mime types are all jacked up...Easy enough to fix....
2. Pmount has a strange behaviour....It wont mount .sfs files..
Ex..It will not mount the actual .sfs of any Puppy on my box...It will, however, mount their pupsaves (???) and ISO`s...
Pupsaves seem to be the only .sfs files I can mount...Very odd...
3 The 4th or 5th reboot, all menu Icons disappeared...
This could be my fault, as I`ve been messing with Mime types and Icon themes...
4. Occasionally, the Package Manager deletes packages after install...Fine for most, terrible when you just spent 2 hours making said package, and installed it to test it....
(Hey, great, it works...now, um...where did it go???? :x )

Other than that, very, very, nice....

As for building Woof:
Success with apup and spup...
dpup fails at configuring glib..redownloaded it, same thing..will try again with puppy package instead..

Used Woof / Unleashed scripts to D/L and build Tiny Core packages..Made a few pets...BIG pets....TC packages are big, self contained, dep inclusive...Like Portable Apps ..sort of..
The pets work, but....
Used scripts to get a "Rootfs"...1900mb ..Used "complete2sfs"...
Actually got an sfs!!........1200mb....LOL...Cant boot that one....
Still playing.... :D :D :D