Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 27 Aug 2014, 12:57
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Woofathon
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 3 of 4 [47 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
tronkel

PostPosted: Sun 19 Apr 2009, 12:32    Post subject:  

ttuuxxx wrote:

Quote:
how about dewoofified?

Ah yes, de-woofification is a really serious matter though when it concerns a Puppy base version.

Definition:

De-woofification can occur when a previously woofified version of Puppy Linux has been found by Ecomoney (hereafter referred to as The Plaintiff) to have too many serious bugs.

On official application to WhoDo (hereafter referred to as The Defendant) for clarification of a bugfixed release schedule - and in the case where The Plaintiff gets no joy on this, he has the right to apply to Higher Authority (i.e.Lobster) who has the final say on whether or not the offending version is to be de-woofified and returned to the less noble state of an ordinary Puppy base version.

If no agreement can be reached on this by all of the involved parties, then it has to go to an appeals panel consisting of Alienjeff, Otropogo and myself.

Take it or leave it.

raffy

PostPosted: Sun 19 Apr 2009, 14:20    Post subject: jury  

Ahhhh, make it an excellent jury of two, 'coz. you'll have to be the judge. Very Happy

I understand you've had some success with dpup (Debian-based woof), and ttuuxxx has tried hard to feed that puppy (Hey, I like it, too). You must be playing with him (dpup) now - it shows in your mood.

davec51

PostPosted: Sun 19 Apr 2009, 21:02    Post subject: Various Woes, Some Old, Some New  

These are early experiences:
1. Any of the shurdown options leads to refreshing of wm, can't shut down or reboot through the menu.
2. "Play" icon does nothing; no media player in start menu.
3. Installed Freecell 1.2, but can't start it.
4. Pnethood can't find my wired network. I don't seem to have SAMBA.

The muted desktop is great.
PII intel, 400mhtz, Xvesa only, 256 RAM. All previous Puppies have been good and faithful hunting dogs.
Béèm

Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

PostPosted: Mon 20 Apr 2009, 05:56    Post subject:  

A good definition of Jaunty. Wink
Use peppyy's puppysearch
John Doe

PostPosted: Tue 21 Apr 2009, 02:39    Post subject:  

GROWL!!!

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=297355#297355
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Tue 21 Apr 2009, 08:14    Post subject:  

ravensrest wrote:
Just downloaded upup-416, burned an iso, and tried it. Here are my results thus far:

Fotox index image fonts almost unreadable
Pmusic won't play anything but does generate a playlist
Abiword now opens my old Word files with good fonts
Scroll wheel doesn't do anything, anywhere
No menu icons
Leafpad misaligned in menu
"Menu" on tray button is not centered
No gxine, hence no play when clicking icon
Background colors in tray icons are not consistent

I also don't care much for incorporating the pet package manager and puppy installer on one popup. Would prefer them as separate functions.

Thanks so much, so far.
BS

Some of your bug reports are very strange. Did you attempt to upgrade from a 4.2 pup-save file?

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Tue 21 Apr 2009, 08:19    Post subject:  

tronkel wrote:
Woofability is something that another distro has.

For example, Ubuntu has a high woofability rating because it can easily be used to make a Puppy Woof version that uses its (Ubuntu's) packages.

Whereas Fedora has no woofability. (not yet anyway).

Debian on the other hand is highly woofable.

Lol! what am I going on about? People from other distros reading all this stuff must really get the impression that all Puppians are nuts!

Remember you heard it all here first!

tronkel,
That could catch on. I am already thinking of distros in terms of their woofability Very Happy

`f00

PostPosted: Tue 21 Apr 2009, 20:35    Post subject:
Subject description: point fine ..

Laughing possibly might be taken oddly in some instances - hereabouts 'woofing' is a softer version of the 'hurling' experience of overly enthusiastic participants in the sport Wink

updated earlier post, too - fwiw
tronkel

PostPosted: Wed 22 Apr 2009, 10:40    Post subject: Synaptic/apt-get/aptitude
Subject description: running on UPup alpha 4

As an experiment I tried to get Synaptic, and apt-get to run on the latest Upup based on Woof 4. See attached screenshot.

I got Synaptic apt-get and aptitude running and configured using the /etc/apt configuration directory from my real Jaunty install. Simply copied over the folder from the Jaunty partition.

I installed what I could of apt-get using the Puppy Package Manager plus some missing stuff that I downloaded directly from the official Jaunty repo.

Synaptic then ran and also updated its packages list OK.

It downloads the packages and all the dependencies for a particular package just as normal, but fails on the final install. Apt-get complains about possible circular dependencies and aptitude complains about missing PATH configuration for ldconfig and update-rc.d

I feel that I'm not far away from perpetrating yet another major chutzpa on Ubuntu!

Would be great if this could get fixed. Please let me know if you know how to fix this.
synaptic.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   46.32 KB
 Viewed   449 Time(s)

synaptic.jpg

FlyingRedGoat

PostPosted: Wed 22 Apr 2009, 19:35    Post subject:  

Pentium III 512 M ram

Loaded Woofie, selected vesa. I never got the window allowing me to select my screen size.

Was able to log in to the wireless network.

Seamonkey worked fine.

Ayttm started, but when it was time to log in, the window just disappeared. Was not able to restart it.

Noticed no drive icons on screen. Tried to run pmount. Pmount identified My drives and partitions, but disapeared when I tried to mount a drive. I was able to restart pmount, and got the same results.

Finally (out of time) I tried to reboot. The drive icons appeared and it didn't reboot. Now I was able to mount partitions.

Second time I tried to reboot, puppy did.

The most serious bug I found, was my dog decided to play with my roomates cat. Smile This never happened when I was running 4.12. Laughing

K
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Wed 22 Apr 2009, 21:03    Post subject: Re: Synaptic/apt-get/aptitude
Subject description: running on UPup alpha 4

tronkel wrote:
As an experiment I tried to get Synaptic, and apt-get to run on the latest Upup based on Woof 4. See attached screenshot.

I got Synaptic apt-get and aptitude running and configured using the /etc/apt configuration directory from my real Jaunty install. Simply copied over the folder from the Jaunty partition.

I installed what I could of apt-get using the Puppy Package Manager plus some missing stuff that I downloaded directly from the official Jaunty repo.

Synaptic then ran and also updated its packages list OK.

It downloads the packages and all the dependencies for a particular package just as normal, but fails on the final install. Apt-get complains about possible circular dependencies and aptitude complains about missing PATH configuration for ldconfig and update-rc.d

I feel that I'm not far away from perpetrating yet another major chutzpa on Ubuntu!

Would be great if this could get fixed. Please let me know if you know how to fix this.

I was wondering about that just yesteday!
Try it on alpha 5 v463 Upup.
Anyone want to help tronkel to get this going? It would be amazing, especially if it doesn't take up too much extra space.

panzerpuppy

PostPosted: Wed 22 Apr 2009, 22:21    Post subject: Woof Alpha 5 BUGS  

More alpha5 upup bugs:

- Scrollwheel doesn't work with Xorg. Works great with Xvesa (kdrive).

- The GUI redrawing / graphics performance with Xorg is horrible (using a modern R600 Radeon card). Awfully slow,flickery and jerky with both "vesa" and "radeon". With Xvesa (kdrive) it's extremely snappy. Weird.

There was no such problem with Puppy 4.2 (with vesa) or spup (with radeon)

- Pmount fails to mount anything after mounting and unmounting a drive once. It just closes without a warning or error message.

- Reboot doesn't work. Upup restarts the Xserver if I select the 'reboot' option or exit to the commandline (hard reboot necessary)

- I get these errors in the xerrs.log:

Code:

(EE) Failed to load module "freetype" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) Failed to load module "xtrap" (module does not exist, 0)
WARNING: Deprecated config file /etc/modprobe.conf, all config files belong into /etc/modprobe.d/.
WARNING: Deprecated config file /etc/modprobe.conf, all config files belong into /etc/modprobe.d/.
(EE) config/hal: New input device request failed (8)
(EE) config/hal: New input device request failed (8)
can not set locale properly

- Zfind hangs when doing a search (try to search for 'radeon' in /).
Pfind completes the search and finds the files instantly.

- The Xorg generic 'vesa' driver only allows for a maximum of 1280x1024 resolution on a 1920x1200 or higher resolution screen
With Puppy 4.2 and spup the maximum was 1600x1200

panzerpuppy

Last edited by panzerpuppy on Thu 23 Apr 2009, 01:53; edited 1 time in total
panzerpuppy

PostPosted: Thu 23 Apr 2009, 01:47    Post subject:  

Even more Alpha 5 upup bugs:

- When upup is started with Xvesa (kdrive) , the drive icons do not appear on screen

- With Xvesa freememapplet loads, but doesn't show up in the tray (there's an empty space).
`f00

PostPosted: Thu 23 Apr 2009, 14:27    Post subject:
Subject description: it's a perfect alpha ;

@panzerpuppy
On my trials with 461, the driveicons and freememapp 'numbers' did not show until the 1st 'Reboot'(restart of X server, more like) from menu (see top of 2nd page for detailed report if you like). A second Reboot from menu actually resulted in a save dialogue with a 'real' reboot - the only time it's happened so far .. all subsequent attempts to reboot or poweroff have failed for me (as you noted, a hardoff seems necessary). Note that I made/make no changes to Xvesa's initial 640x480x16 display, only waited 'til it settled down on the xload graph before the first 'Reboot'(re-X) - the driveicons are only available for me at the lo-res display (disappear upon change to anything else, as far as I can tell from pprocess the pup-event frontend is running just that there's no gui). I'm using a liveCD only for pup and savedirs so far - possibly may try to re-do from pfix=ram and make a regular .2fs on HDD later to see if that works any better :shrug:

It accepts most of the dl'd dotpets I have (Opera 10, wbar and such), but a very few like libxcb-1.0 (needed for Conky-1.6.1 in post v4 pups) freeze the system on attempted install.
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Thu 23 Apr 2009, 23:22    Post subject:  

reports and more on woof5
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=41539

Page 3 of 4 [47 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to: