Slaxer_Pup 4.12 solid and stable non woof build

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
big_bass

#370 Post by big_bass »

Hey Paul (pakt)

all compiled well notice that the official 4.12
has these installed

wpa_supplicant-0.5.10
openssl-0.9.8e
they are newer versions than the ones you posted the sources to
so no need to compile those for now

------------------------------
install this package VT6655-driver-v1.20.02-i486-slxr.tar.gz
after installing it gets installed here *if you wanted to double check

/lib/modules/2.6.27.7/kernel/drivers/net/viawget.ko

then run

Code: Select all

depmod -a  
in the terminal to update your new module
so its added /lib/modules/2.6.27.7/modules.*

I updated the net list for you use this netlist-update-VT6655-i486-slxr.tar.gz
then when you run the connection wizard you'll now see

viawget "pci: VIA Networking Solomon-A/B/G Wireless LAN Adapter Driver"

P.S
*The sources for the audio driver failed I need to get the un patched sources*

keep me updated let me know how it went with those packages

had to rename to tar.gz for the forum to upload it

Joe
Attachments
VT6655-driver-v1.20.02-i486-slxr.tar.gz
(116.64 KiB) Downloaded 515 times
netlist-update-VT6655-i486-slxr.tar.gz
(2.88 KiB) Downloaded 517 times
Last edited by big_bass on Mon 14 Dec 2009, 19:30, edited 2 times in total.

big_bass

#371 Post by big_bass »

Paul (pakt)
Can I assume these drivers need the complete headers to compile?

Would it help if I installed Slackware 12.2 on one of my old PCs should I want to (try to) compile drivers in the future?

having slackware installed is always a good idea
but its not requiered to compile anything for slaxer_pup

yes, you need the full kernel sources when compiling those drivers
so you wouldn´t have got it to work without them for this job

I made a *.tgz of the sources it will be a few days before I can upload it

its at 170MB compressed over 750MB installed

I usually run USB install for day to day stuff so I had to set up another hard drive install
before I could compile the drivers for you

but I have to have that anyway so it was needed

most of the time you don´t need the kernel sources
installed so to save space I only install them when needed

*typo edit
Joe
Last edited by big_bass on Wed 16 Dec 2009, 16:34, edited 1 time in total.

amigo

#372 Post by amigo »

You don't need the compiled sources, you only need them to be configured. Unpack sources, insert your favorite config file, run 'make silentoldconfig' and then run 'make prepare', then the sources can be used or re-packed and installed elsewhere.
I did have a look at these things the other day. The vt6655 compiled without problems. But, the other sources will need to be patched for use with later kernel sources as it searches for 'config.h' which no longer exists in the kernel sources -linking to the 'autoconf.h' should work, or it's pretty easy to change that in the driver sources.

pakt

#373 Post by pakt »

Joe, I appreciate all the work I put you through. I'll let you know how it goes 8)

I installed Slackware 12.2 on a spare partition I had on an old laptop and was remined of the old days when you spent more time setting up Linux than actually using it. Among other things, the keyboard-chooser was broken, the mouse wheel didn't work and I got nowhere setting up wireless using the network gui. In the end I just opened a terminal and setup wifi using the command line.

(The good thing with this exercise was that it reminded me of how easy it is to setup Puppy :lol: )

Another thing I was reminded of was the question of which kernel to use in slackware to make it compatible with SlaxerPup. Two choices: huge.s or hugesmp.s. SlaxerPup has an smp kernel so I assumed I should use hugesmp.s. Then, like amigo, I succeeded in compiling the vt6655 driver but when I tried modprobing it in SlaxerPup, I got an error message. I think it said something about a mismatch - seen it before when attempting to use a module for another kernel.

I re-installed Slackware with the huge.s kernel yesterday but it was just as well that I didn't have time to try compiling vt6655. I doubt if I would have gotten the right module since uname confirmed it isn't an smp kernel. So the question is, is either kernel compatible with the one in SlaxerPup?

Regarding the full kernel sources, wouldn't it be ideal to make an sfs file of them? That would make them nice and portable, be accessible from a frugal installation and not take up any memory, or?

amigo, good info on setting up kernel sources and on patching the audio driver source. I'll check the net first and see if I can find the original or newer audio driver source.

Paul
Methinks Raspberry Pi were ideal for runnin' Puppy Linux

pakt

#374 Post by pakt »

Guys, I just found these on http://www.tcosproject.org/debian.php:
sis7019-alsa-backport-source (1.0.0-2) - sis7019 ALSA driver for vortex sound target
Depends: make, gcc | c-compiler, bzip2, debhelper (>= 4.0.0), module-assistant | kernel-package
Binary for arch all (17.3 KB) | dsc file | Source dir

(backport from 2.6.25 kernel tree)

Homepage: http://wiki.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/SoundCards

sis7019-source (1.0.0-2) - sis7019 driver for vortex sound target
Depends: make, gcc | c-compiler, bzip2, debhelper (>= 4.0.0), module-assistant | kernel-package
Binary for arch all (24.2 KB) | dsc file | Source dir

Homepage: http://wiki.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/SoundCards
Any good?

EDIT: Also found this:http://git.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kern ... 7072cc2b72

amigo

#375 Post by amigo »

This one:
http://www.tcosproject.org/pool/main/s/ ... ty1.tar.gz
is probably the one you need.

As for mixing/matching kernel versions, remove the slackware kernel-sources package and then download, patch and configure the puppy kernel sources -place them in /usr/src with a link /usr/src/linux to the real directory. You'll still have to hack the driver Makefile to have it build the right sources, using the right headers... Still some room for you to learn more here :-), as I can't do it all for you at the moment.

edit:
On looking at it harder, maybe you just need to enable that module in the kernel configuration as it seems to already be part of the kernel.
end edit

As to your idea about kernel sources in an sfs, I used to have a small USB-based distro where I kept the kernel sources as an iso image which got mounted on /usr/src/linux. this will usually work -provided the sources are pre-configured as I outlined. And, of course, if you want to build them you have to do it from a separate dir:
mkdir /usr/src/my-kernel
cd /usr/src/my-kernel
'make -f ../linux/Makefile menuconfig'
then
'make bzImage' ,etc,etc

pakt

#376 Post by pakt »

Here it is - first time I've got wifi working on the eBox-2300. Check out the attached screenshot. :P

Thanks Joe. This driver should be included in SlaxerPup.

Gotta go - after bedtime...
Attachments
ebox2300-vt6655-3.png
SlaxerPup running on eBox-2300 and connected via wlan (vt6655)
(140.4 KiB) Downloaded 591 times

amigo

#377 Post by amigo »

About the sound card driver, if you are using kernel >= 2.6.25 the driver is already in the kernel sources. The sources you linked to are for backporting the driver to earlier kernel versions.

big_bass

#378 Post by big_bass »

Hey Paul (pakt)

Here it is - first time I've got wifi working on the eBox-2300. Check out the attached screenshot. Razz

EXCELLENT! :D :D

and just a reminder a big thanks for fixing the USB install

anything else for those mini systems let me know
love to see Slaxer_Pup on those

-------------------------------------

@Gilbert (amigo)
About the sound card driver, if you are using kernel >= 2.6.25 the driver is already in the kernel sources. The sources you linked to are for backporting the driver to earlier kernel versions.
Thanks Gilbert I was going to check that out today

------------------------------------

if you need the slaxer kernel sources
here they are its a *.tgz because you wont have symlink problems
and it is all writeable and if you wanted to strip it down its easier to do
also it will install in the correct place and uninstall without any problems to your system

UPDATED 12-29-2009 lite version
src-kernel-slxr-2.6.27.7 Now 71MB 250 MB installed make sure you have the space first though

http://puppy2.org/slaxer/src-kernel-slx ... 2-slxr.tgz

if anyone compiles extra drivers let me know I will include them for slaxer pup
and upload them also
Thanks

Joe
Last edited by big_bass on Tue 29 Dec 2009, 18:58, edited 1 time in total.

amigo

#379 Post by amigo »

Joe, I think you must be distributing the kernel sources with all the objects built which, if so, is unnecessary. The unpacked sources should be in the range of 200-250MB.
for them to be fully functional, they only need to be configured and then packed up:
'make clean oldconfig prepare'
That will make them usable for compiling out-of-tree sources and also make them available for re-compiling the kernel or any in-tree modules in the exact form in which you used them to produce your kernel and modules.
Packing them should give you a tgz package in the range of ~80MB or so, and if your use txz then probably about 65MB.
You might have a look at delivering them as an iso image as I metioned before -that will keep them to 65/80MB installed. the only caveat is that you can't build directly in the (read-only) tree. You could create a zisofs image (using mkzftree) to keep the gzip compression. Then deliver it installed as:
/usr/src/linux/.linux-sources.iso
Then you could have the packages' doinst.sh create an entry in /etc/rc.d/rc.local which would loop-mount the image -something like this:

if [[ -f /usr/src/linux/.linux-sources.iso ]] ; then
# losetup /dev/loop-whatever /usr/src/linux/.linux-sources.iso
# mount /dev/loop-whatever /usr/src/linux
mount -o loop -t iso9660 /usr/src/linux/.linux-sources.iso /usr/src/linux
fi
You could use losetup, but if you are using loop devices you'd need to do a losetup -f to find a free device first. This method shows how to 'overmount' a directory with the contents of the directory in such a way that the original content (the *.iso) is invisible.
Since you are probably more comfortable with sfs files/mounts, you could do it that way. I worked out the above trick long ago -one of the priorities was to be able to use an unpatched kernel, and at the time squashfs was not a part of the kernel, so that's why zisofs was used.

Anyway, even if you don't do that, you can still deliver read-write sources at under 100MB *unpacked*.

pakt

#380 Post by pakt »

Still some room for you to learn more here :) , as I can't do it all for you at the moment.
Thanks for the pointers on changing kernels in Slackware, Gilbert. I'll put that on the backburner for now and concentrate on using the kernel headers with SlaxerPup :wink:

I downloaded the kernel source for SlaxerPup (Thanks Joe :P ) and checked the contents. If I'm not mistaken these branches can be removed:

- All branches off arch/ except for /x86, i.e. remove branches alpha, arm, avr32, blackfin, cris, frv, h8300, ia64, m32r, m68k, mips, mn10300, parisc, powerpc, s390, sh, sparc, um and xtensa.
- The /Documentation branch
- All .o* files (includes .o.cmd, .o.uu, etc files. I assume these are all object files)

I'm just familiar with a few tar commands. Any tips on the tar command options to (easily) remove the above branches from the compressed tarball :wink:

Last question: I found sis7019.c and sis7019.h in the source. How would I compile just the sis7019 module and not the rest of the source?

Paul

pakt

#381 Post by pakt »

big_bass wrote:anything else for those mini systems let me know
love to see Slaxer_Pup on those
[Getting on soapbox]
Just like Barry loves software that is lean and fast, I love hardware that is small and efficient. Apart from not working as a heating element and also contributing to a lower electricity bill :wink: , all electronics last longer when running at a lower temperature. The life span of an electronics component shortens exponentially with increasing temperature, something I learned early on as an electronics professional. I'm retired now due to poor health but I still love working with these gadgets.

The SiS Vortex86 SoC (System on Chip) in the eBox-2300 almost makes up a complete 200MHz, i586-compatible PC, only memory needs to be added, in this case 128MB. Measuring with a simple power meter, the eBox-2300 (including the AC adapter, the inserted CF card (with SlaxerPup) and the wireless module) draws only 11W (max).

This pocket-sized unit was never designed to run as a complete PC but only as a thin client. That's why it's so enjoyable to be able to run Puppy Linux on it albeit rather slowly mainly due to the X-Window GUI. Quitting X and just running a CLI makes this box run acceptably fast. And with SlaxerPup running in RAM, there is still more then 50MB RAM free.

Looking at the future, ARM-based devices promise to be more power efficient than ones based on x86. If windows XP had run on the ARM architecture, I believe we would already have had ARM-based netbooks for sale on the market and not just prototypes displayed at conventions. The demand for netbooks with Linux is simply too low. Who knows, perhaps ARM-based netbooks will appear soon in stores, but running Linux-based Google Chrome OS instead :P
[Getting off soapbox]

Paul

mikeb

#382 Post by mikeb »

Neat stuff...x86 was always the most inefficient architecture yet became the most common...like vhs was the worst format for video tape...I guess it's where big business controls technology these illogical happenings occur
...falls off soapbox
mike

big_bass

#383 Post by big_bass »

Gilbert (amigo)

Thanks for posting how to reduce the kernel down to a much smaller size

and the optional overmounting way (I can think of a few other good things to do with that ) thanks

I will be pretty busy until at least January 7th when my kids go back to school from vacation. They start vacation today

so I hope people only down load the sources if they really need them
and I´ll repackage it up later to the smaller size [cleaned up] I´ll take a look at the overmounting of the sources also
that looks like good option

Gilbert is 8)

@Paul (pakt)
I am very thankful that you took the time to go through the initrd and
add the delay fix so that the using the USB install option the USB save file is now detected
since I use USB most of the time I really needed that working
I kind of cut it short in the above post because I was in a hurry

I also love the electronics side of things (an electronics tech )
at 11W of power a solar powered Slaxer
would open many possibilities :D

so I would take any of your good suggestions
and include it in Slaxer

many times if someone doesnt have the hardware to test on
they just forget about trying to build for it because it makes it much more difficult to test and there is usually alot of trial and error until it finally works but if I know that someone really wants something to work I´ll do my best to help out

thanks for testing and if you had to add a special script or something
to make the wifi work correctly it would help the next guy getting his box running also

ahh about slackware now that you have that also installed it will help to test build anything first using src2pkg in its native home slackware

Joe

amigo

#384 Post by amigo »

src2pkg is now getting up to en even higher level of functionality in KISS-Linux along with the new pkgtools :-). I've rolled in some ideas from slitaz, but without some of the problems of their packaging system. Getting fairly close to having enough kiss packages to release a version for developing on, Joe. Also, a new release of src2pkg shuld be out this weekend -just in time to help Santa with some of his packaing needs LOL.

pakt

#385 Post by pakt »

Ok, I've got the kernel source tgz down to 122MB 8)

I trimmed off all branches from /arch except x86, the /Documentaion branch and all object (.o) files.

I also made a 99MB sfs file from the trimmed source but discovered I forgot to add the links in doinst.sh. I think I can add the links manually ... hmm, probably need to use chroot...

Anyway, I'll report back once I've tested the sfs.

EDIT: Seems I need to leave branch i386 on /arch so I've put it back.

Didn't need chroot to make links, just made relative links with rox.
Last edited by pakt on Sat 19 Dec 2009, 17:16, edited 2 times in total.

pakt

#386 Post by pakt »

The 99MB kernel-source sfs works with my frugal install :) . Now to try it out.

The sis7019 module might be a good choice. I think I saw somewhere how to compile a single kernel module but googling didn't help.

Well, seem to have made an object file:

# make sound/pci/sis7019.ko
  CHK     include/linux/version.h
  CHK     include/linux/utsrelease.h
  GEN     include/linux/bounds.h
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/asm-offsets.s
  GEN     include/asm/asm-offsets.h
  CALL    scripts/checksyscalls.sh
  CC      scripts/mod/empty.o
  MKELF   scripts/mod/elfconfig.h
  HOSTCC  scripts/mod/file2alias.o
  HOSTCC  scripts/mod/modpost.o
  HOSTCC  scripts/mod/sumversion.o
  HOSTLD  scripts/mod/modpost
  CC      sound/pci/sis7019.o
include/asm/io_32.h: In function 'memcpy_fromio':
include/asm/io_32.h:151: warning: passing argument 2 of '__memcpy' discards qualifiers from pointer target type
include/asm/io_32.h: In function 'memcpy_toio':
include/asm/io_32.h:157: warning: passing argument 1 of '__memcpy' discards qualifiers from pointer target type
  MODPOST 0 modules
#
Not quite a module though. Do I know what I'm doing? Uh, no :lol:

amigo

#387 Post by amigo »

You need to be using clusty.com instead of google.com -search 'compile single kernel module' --first hit:
http://www.debian-administration.org/ar ... nel_module

# compile
make -M=Path/To/Module
# test
insmod Path/To/Module/Module.ko

pakt

#388 Post by pakt »

Thanks amigo, but that doesn't seem to work:
# make -M=sound/pci/sis7019.ko
make: invalid option -- M
make: invalid option -- =
Usage: make [options] [target] ...
<snip>
I decided to start fresh and generally follow Barry's instructions http://puppylinux.com/development/compilekernel.htm and just compile all the modules.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a .config file in /usr/src/linux-2.6.27.7/ so I don't think I can compile either the kernel or drivers.

Maybe Joe has the .config file for SlaxerPup?

Paul

big_bass

#389 Post by big_bass »

Hey Paul
I been busy setting up a USB FLASH for compiling with kernel sources

the config is here

geany /usr/src/linux-2.6.27.7/.config
or if you don't have the kernel sources installed you can check here too

rox -s /proc/config.gz 

*I'll keep at it but this week I have less free time
but now you have the tools to compile and others so
more help on the way

manual ebox
http://www.compactpc.com.tw/files/eBOX_ ... 20v0r0.pdf

found the problem :?
edit # CONFIG_SND_SIS7019 is not set
to read

CONFIG_SND_SIS7019=m

I did it with geany but you could do it the official way

*I verified it with amigos post below it is activated

Joe
Last edited by big_bass on Sun 20 Dec 2009, 20:45, edited 4 times in total.