Booting Puppy on a 2006 XP Laptop

Booting, installing, newbie
Yarner

Booting Puppy on a 2006 XP Laptop

#1 Post by Yarner »

Hi all,

I wanted to bring my old 2006 laptop (an HP Compaq nx6310 with WinXP, CoreDuo, 1GB memory), and reading around I found Puppy.
I burned a DVD with Bionic, but it just wouldn't boot from optical (I checked the boot sequence, optical had top priority, I could even choose the boot source directly with F9, that didn't work either). I checked the disc on another PC, it booted fine.
I also made a bootable pendrive (with PowerIso), thet wouldn't boot either. With the direct choice option I only had "USB hard disk" as an option, that took me to an empty black screen and nothing else (at least not the windows startup)...

I'm not sure what is going wrong - could be that the Bios is too old for this media? Is puppy too much for this hardware?

I couldn't find a fitting thread in the forum, but if there's one, please direct me there.
Thanks!

dancytron

#2 Post by dancytron »

Try Universal USB installer https://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal ... -as-1-2-3/ to install to the pen drive. It never failed for me back when I used Windows XP.

Choose "other" from the bottom of the menu if your exact Puppy isn't listed (and it probably won't be they fall behind on the updates).

The other possibility is a bad download.

rockedge

#3 Post by rockedge »

Sounds like the 2006 XP laptop can't read DVD. Does the laptop have a DVD drive?

Try and burn Bionic onto a CD-ROM and this should work. Also you might want to try out Tahr on this machine as well.

Geek3579

#4 Post by Geek3579 »

I agree that using a CD might work with TAHR. I use a similar laptop and on odd occasions some Puppy OS just do not boot. But otherwise it runs LXPup 18 32 bit really well.

Also, check the boot sequence. It may be set to boot from HDD first, not CD (but unlikely).

You could try to install a modern 32 bit (I presume its 32 bit laptop) puppy on a USB using the bootflash installer, which seems to be very effective. BTW, you MUST change the boot order to boot from USB.

One more thing... once you get things working. 1Gb memory is not really enough for modern browsers/websites - best to add a pupswap file of size 1Gb. Some moderm puppies have this utility as an OOTB feature.

peterw

A few more ideas

#5 Post by peterw »

You could try resetting BIOS back to default and trying again.

Some of those laptop had CD and not DVD optical drives. In any event try with CD instead of DVD. In the past I have had some DVDs and Optical Drives being awkward in that the DVD/CD would work in one but not another, etc.

Check the BIOS to see if USB booting is an option. You may need to have one in a USB slot for that to show up.

Perhaps upgrade BIOS.

On some machines I had success via PLOP and that gave me the option to boot via USB.

cthisbear

#6 Post by cthisbear »

Specs:

https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-compaq ... dd-series/

"""""""

Try Radky Stretch... k4.1.48-i686-pae for legacy hardware

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=112125

Burn at 32 speed max...maybe even 24 speed for yours.
CD only
I suspect the DVD is too advanced for the machine.
DVDs in those days were around 4 Speed.

::::

Use Burn CDCC.

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/burncdcc.html

The Geeks are a safe site.

Power ISO was crap.

Rufus would be better.

https://rufus.ie/

:::::::::

Welcome to Puppy.

Chris.

bigpup

#7 Post by bigpup »

Are you sure the CD drive is working OK?
Burn to a CD.
Use a very low burn speed.
8 or less.
Make sure the inside of the CD drive is clean.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#8 Post by bigpup »

You posted in the correct place in the forum.
I burned a DVD with Bionic
This is not good info.
We always, always, always need the exact specific version of Puppy Linux.
This could be about 7 different Puppy versions.
Bionicpup32 8.0?
Bionicpup64 8.0?
Bionicdog32?
Bionicdog64?
Bionic Dev?
Etc......
YaPI(any iso installer)

mikeslr

#9 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Yarner,

Bigpup wasn't being unnecessarily rigid. At last count there were over 5,000 versions of Puppy Linux not counting the 'DebianDogs', which are not Puppies but rather constructed from debian netinstalls to function like Puppies. All Puppies share many internal structures, but each is in someway unique. Often the advice given regarding one Puppy will work for others, but not always. And the same can be said across the entire range of DebianDogs. But what works for Puppies may not work for DebianDogs.

As bigpup's fotenote says "The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem." The sooner we know exactly what the situation is the sooner we can figure out how to get from where you are to where you want to be.

bigpup

#10 Post by bigpup »

I am not sure what Poweriso made for a bootable USB flash drive of Puppy Linux.

Try using this program to make one.
Rufus
https://rufus.ie/
That is two of us suggesting this

Bionicpup32 8.0 would be good to try.
Or
The one cthisbear suggested.

If it still does not boot.
Give us some details so we can understand what is happening.
You do what?
You see what?

Understand that one specific version of Puppy Linux will not work perfect on every possible computer.
That is why there are many versions of Puppy Linux.
With some clues from you.
We will figure out a good one for your computer.
YaPI(any iso installer)

oui

Re: Booting Puppy on a 2006 XP Laptop

#11 Post by oui »

Yarner wrote:Hi all,

I wanted to bring my old 2006 laptop (an HP Compaq nx6310 with WinXP, CoreDuo, 1GB memory), and reading around I found Puppy.
I burned a DVD with Bionic, but it just wouldn't boot from optical (I checked the boot sequence, optical had top priority, I could even choose the boot source directly with F9, that didn't work either). I checked the disc on another PC, it booted fine.
I also made a bootable pendrive (with PowerIso), thet wouldn't boot either. With the direct choice option I only had "USB hard disk" as an option, that took me to an empty black screen and nothing else (at least not the windows startup)...

I'm not sure what is going wrong - could be that the Bios is too old for this media? Is puppy too much for this hardware?

I couldn't find a fitting thread in the forum, but if there's one, please direct me there.
Thanks!
from what a system are you reading / writing now? XP or a/which Linux? is some bootloader preinstalled (lilo, or some grub)? can you select some other boot with special key in the first seconds of each restart?

BURN ISO:

2 ways:

left using Puppy linux itself (never errors! ALSO FOR OTHER ISO'S)

right in Windows
Attachments
2ways2burnISOLinksOderRechts.jpg
(64.32 KiB) Downloaded 341 times

Mike Walsh

#12 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hallo, Yarner. And Image to the 'kennels'.

Bigpup's a good lad. He really, truly is. Always goes out of his way to help out our Puppy 'newbies'. But it doesn't seem to matter how old the hardware is, he always, but always, recommends the very newest (read 'heaviest') version of Puppy to try first...

You may strike 'lucky'. But in my experience, as the machines get older, you need to be a wee bit sympathetic and try out some older, more age-related Pups. The new ones are better at supporting newer hardware/software, no doubt about that. But at 13, going on 14 years old, you simply aren't going to need that level of kernel 'support'.

Apart from a 2004 Compaq tower desktop (my 'main' rig), I also have an elderly 2002/3 Dell Inspiron - P4 powered. I'm going to concur with Chris (cthisbear); radky's DPup 'Stretch' 7.5 would indeed be a very good place to start.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=112125

It's fairly 'current', and will run pretty much anything you can throw at it, but radky, being the perfectionist that he is, bless 'im, has managed to make it relatively lightweight & amazingly responsive for a modern Puppy.....most of which, unfortunately, seem to be getting gradually bigger & bigger. And it runs amazingly well on an ancient, 17-yr old machine that most folks in this fast-moving 'tech' world of ours would have consigned to the scrap-heap many years ago, in favour of something newer, faster, shinier, and doubtless with more bells & whistles to play with..... :roll:

I mean, it still works, 100%, so why....??

Failing that, I would in all seriousness recommend trying out Precise 571....the 'Puppymaster's' very last official Pup.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/precis ... -5.7.1.iso

(That's a direct link to the ISO download at Ibiblio.org.)

Despite being a few years old now, a good percentage of our community would, I think, agree with me that it's still perfectly viable as a daily driver, and will still run up-to-date, secure, modern browsers.....this being where most of your problems will stem from, on any machine, regardless of platform. It's steadily becoming known as the 'go-to' Pup where machines of our vintage are concerned.

----------------------------

Whatever you choose, remember this; Pups are 'hobbyist' operating systems, designed for 'mucking about' with.....that just happen to be amazingly good at 'reviving' ancient hardware. And as t'other Mike said a few posts back, there's a lot of Pups to choose from; it would be truly astonishing if we couldn't help you find something to 'fit the bill'. Don't take the whole thing too seriously, and above all.....make sure you have fun with it!

We're always here, should you need further help/advice. Don't be a stranger.

Mike. :wink:

mikeslr

#13 Post by mikeslr »

One of the reasons trial attorneys value the Jury System is (a) they are obligated to zealously represent their clients even if they, personally, have doubts and (b) having 6 or 12 people, rather than one person, examining the evidence increases the likelihood that the truth will be found.

1 Gb of RAM on a 2006 computer. I missed that. BionicPup, even the 32-bit version, may just be too 'heavy'. Regardless of what medium a Puppy boots from it copies files from that medium into RAM. Even if you could boot BionicPup, I'd recommend that you try dpup-stretch recommended by Mike Walsh. There have been several reports on how well it functions on 'low-RAM' computers.

Mike Walsh recommendation of the original Precise reminded me of what I think would be a better alternative, jrb's updated version, Precise-Lite, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 58#1024458. Jrb was motivated to (re)create that Puppy for a computer with 1 Gb of RAM when Bionicpup 'bogged right down'.

nic007

#14 Post by nic007 »

mikeslr wrote:One of the reasons trial attorneys value the Jury System is (a) they are obligated to zealously represent their clients even if they, personally, have doubts and (b) having 6 or 12 people, rather than one person, examining the evidence increases the likelihood that the truth will be found.

1 Gb of RAM on a 2006 computer. I missed that. BionicPup, even the 32-bit version, may just be too 'heavy'. Regardless of what medium a Puppy boots from it copies files from that medium into RAM. Even if you could boot BionicPup, I'd recommend that you try dpup-stretch recommended by Mike Walsh. There have been several reports on how well it functions on 'low-RAM' computers.

Mike Walsh recommendation of the original Precise reminded me of what I think would be a better alternative, jrb's updated version, Precise-Lite, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 58#1024458. Jrb was motivated to (re)create that Puppy for a computer with 1 Gb of RAM when Bionicpup 'bogged right down'.
(c) members of the jury are "laymen" when it comes to the interpretation of the law so there is a chance that your client (who otherwise would have been convicted by a competent team of judge(s) and legal assessors) could be let off the hook. :wink:

mikeslr

#15 Post by mikeslr »

nic007 wrote: (c) members of the jury are "laymen" when it comes to the interpretation of the law so there is a chance that your client (who otherwise would have been convicted by a competent team of judge(s) and legal assessors) could be let off the hook. :wink:
The Criminal Judicial System operates under the 'Principles' that violations of The Law requires not only an Act, but an intention; that you aren't innocent merely because you didn't know what you were doing was wrong because "Everyone knows the Law". :lol: The thousands of written decisions reported annually dealing with questions of what the Law really "is"; indeed, the existence of Appellate Courts and Supreme Courts which resolve the disputes among Appellate Courts might suggest otherwise.

But the purpose of the Legal System isn't to determine Truth. That's God's Business. The Legal System serves only to provide a sufficiently acceptable resolution of problems to maintain Order as opposed to "Everyone does what is right in his own eyes", chaos. To provide a sufficiently acceptable resolution of problems, most of the population must hold a belief that the Judicial System results in a Just Decision more often than not; and this, despite that:
(a) The Laws, themselves, are written for the benefit of 'The Haves';
(b) Judges are indoctrinated apply the Rule of Stare Decisis = follow the previous decisions without considering whether they still make sense, hence, to maintain the Status Quo; and
(c) Judges, being Human, are just as prone to ignorance, bias, prejudice, conceptual errors, and limited reasoning ability as everyone else.

As I said, Truth is God's Business. The Judicial System exists to resolve problems and maintain Order. If the Law or the Facts are too complex for Jurors to find someone guilty --If 12 or 6 Jurors are compelled return a verdict of Not Guilty, that's the proper verdict. Society benefits from 'Juror Nulification'. Order is maintained.

bigpup

#16 Post by bigpup »

Yarner has left the building :shock: :roll:
Not one single reply :roll:
YaPI(any iso installer)

tommy

#17 Post by tommy »

Maybe Yarner will come back sunday 20, he wrote on sunday 13...

When both DVD drive and USB boot don't work, but Windows boots, I suggest to use LICK

Just boot Windows, install LICK, download one or more Puppy ISO, then start LICK and install Puppy dragging-and- dropping the ISO into LICK's window.

LICK will install Puppy on an hard disk folder, and will add a 'Puppy boot option' voice in Windows bootloader, so you can choose to boot Win or Puppy at PC bootup.

Very useful and faster than DVD boot!

jafadmin

#18 Post by jafadmin »

The DVD he burned and the USB he burned both boot on other machines. That means they are fine.

This seems to me like a hardware issue on the bios level.

hatemonday

#19 Post by hatemonday »

as indicated by the topics name, a 2006 laptop's CD/DVD device most likely full of dust and read/write head scratched for some reason.

suggested method (using grub4dos) :
- rename ntldr to ntldr_xp
- rename grldr to ntldr
- edit menu.lst

### sample menu.lst ###

timeout 10
default 0
command --set-path=/

title Boot winxp
find --set-root /ntldr_xp
chainloader /ntldr_xp

title Boot BionicPup