Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 14 Oct 2019, 14:34
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Taskbar memory status
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
lotech

PostPosted: Tue 14 Apr 2009, 23:40    Post subject:  Taskbar memory status  

I am not clear about how Puppy handles and display memory status, I am running Puppy on USB flash, I see only 23M free on the taskbar status which I've 1G memory on the notebook, and I have OB free out of 500M on desktop puppy space, after I change the syslinux.cfg with 'noram' now I get near 500M free on puppy space but still get only 23M free on taskbar, what is that all about ? how come puppy eaten up so much of memory ?
WhoDo

PostPosted: Wed 15 Apr 2009, 04:02    Post subject: Re: Taskbar memory status  

lotech wrote:
I am not clear about how Puppy handles and display memory status, I am running Puppy on USB flash, I see only 23M free on the taskbar status which I've 1G memory on the notebook, and I have OB free out of 500M on desktop puppy space, after I change the syslinux.cfg with 'noram' now I get near 500M free on puppy space but still get only 23M free on taskbar, what is that all about ? how come puppy eaten up so much of memory ?

The first thing you need to know is that the display in the taskbar may not be giving you "memory" status. It may instead be giving you free "space" on your USB device, or free "space" in your pup_save.2fs file (if you have one), or the amount of free "space" (RAM) left in your ram disk. There are different results reported for different conditions under which you have booted.

Free "memory" is a bad choice of terminology that just happens to be right every once in a while, like the hands on a stopped clock! There are many better applications for detecting the status of RAM, disk space, etc. Htop, Hardinfo, pmount, the command line "free" run from a console, The latter is probably the most accurate for RAM, but I won't fight anyone who wants to argue.

The sole benefit of Freememapplet, IMHO, is to warn you if you are about to run out of space in your save file, so you can resize it and continue operating without the risk of losing data. Otherwise it's pretty much worth what we paid for it. Wink

Hope that helps

lotech

PostPosted: Wed 15 Apr 2009, 04:07    Post subject:  

Yes got it, no complain Confused
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: