slideshow screen saver?

Booting, installing, newbie
Barq's

Slideshow Screen Saver Bugs

#16 Post by Barq's »

vtpup et. al.

It is unfortunate that you do not have the time, but it is also understandable. I thank you for the suggestions for possible keyboard equivalents for the ESC key. Unfortunately none of them worked. But just to exhaust all possibilities, I held down the Ctrl key and systematically hit each and every key on the keyboard (except the ESC key)...no combination worked. I followed that up by holding down the Alt key and doing the same thing and then holding down Ctrl+Alt and systematically going through all the keys again. Although I never did find a way to revert back to the desktop the Ctrl+Alt combination with a third key did put me into other places that I did not know how to get out of, including a PuppyPC Login: screen that required a password to enter. But that is just another rabbit trail which I will not pursue at this point.

With regard to the blanking of the screensaver issue; I spent the day playing with all combinations of the setting found under "Desktop>PupX>Screensaver", the settings had no effect on the screensaver performance in any way shape or form. At 20 minutes after the screensaver started it would freeze and was followed by a black screen that momentarily displayed the "NO SIGNAL" message before going totally black. Moving the mouse or hitting a key would revert back to the frozen screensaver.

I did notice another odd behavior with the screensaver. when ever the screensaver starts it always centers the curser in the middle of the screen and does not make it disappear, That would appear to be a bit of a bug for a slideshow.

As I have been lurking around this forum for a couple years now I am very excited to see a screensaver posted that was easy enough to install that even I was able to do it. As I am not a code writer it would be silly for me to attempt to take on the task of fixing these last few details. The best I can do is offer my assistance with beta testing, and I am more than willing to do that. Does anybody know who created this screensaver? If the author is not part of this community, can I assume that this screensaver is open source? Is there anybody that would be willing to work with me to fix the last few issues with this code?

Although there are less than two dozen responses for this thread I notice there are over a thousand views already. I believe there is sufficient interest here to justify this effort. I will do whatever I can to facilitate this project. will somebody step forward to help me complete it?

Thank you

mystmaiden

#17 Post by mystmaiden »

I'm trying to set up a screensaver slide show and someone kindly pointed me to this thread. I got the screensaver pet but I may be missing some stuff.

Mu wrote:
You need to install libSDL with petget.
I'm not finding that in the puppy package manager, has it been removed or am I just blind?

thanks

mystmaiden

rjbrewer

#18 Post by rjbrewer »

mystmaiden wrote:I'm trying to set up a screensaver slide show and someone kindly pointed me to this thread. I got the screensaver pet but I may be missing some stuff.

Mu wrote:
You need to install libSDL with petget.
I'm not finding that in the puppy package manager, has it been removed or am I just blind?

thanks

mystmaiden
I typed libSDL in the search box and found this:

http://dokupuppylinux.co.cc/programs:li ... :libraries

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

mystmaiden

#19 Post by mystmaiden »

Thanks so much :) I don't seem to have a search on the pet manager - maybe that came after 4.2

So far I'm semi-successful. The screensaver does work (huzzah!) and it looks great but I had to reboot and now the mouse is not working.

Edited to add: For whatever reason, one more reboot and the mouse is functioning and everything is working.

Many thanks to all who helped me get this going, and the ones who provided all the goodies it took to do it!

and yup. I like to watch my screensaver this much.. wow, do I ever need a Life!!

myst - mystified!

rjbrewer

#20 Post by rjbrewer »

mystmaiden wrote:Thanks so much :) I don't seem to have a search on the pet manager - maybe that came after 4.2

So far I'm semi-successful. The screensaver does work (huzzah!) and it looks great but I had to reboot and now the mouse is not working.

Edited to add: For whatever reason, one more reboot and the mouse is functioning and everything is working.

Many thanks to all who helped me get this going, and the ones who provided all the goodies it took to do it!

and yup. I like to watch my screensaver this much.. wow, do I ever need a Life!!

myst - mystified!
The search I was referring to is right here at the top of the forum
page, next to FAQ.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

mystmaiden

#21 Post by mystmaiden »

Ah, thanks. I did that first, I should have tried a different wording.

Sky Aisling

#22 Post by Sky Aisling »

Hi Everyone,

I'm out looking for a picture slideshow screensaver for my
Puppy 4.3.1 running on a Toshiba 2805-S401 with 254 mg RAM.

Do we now have a functioning picture slideshow screensaver with all the parts and pieces to make it work correctly?

If so, where is the download? Will it autostart after boot up?

Thanks so much.

Sky

Sky Aisling

#23 Post by Sky Aisling »

Oh wait! Thanks rjbrewer, I found this:

http://dokupuppylinux.co.cc/programs:screensaver

Is this what I'm looking for? Looks like it was updated in November of this year. I'll give it a try.

Sky Aisling

#24 Post by Sky Aisling »

Well, it doesn't seem to want to work.
It's the same ole problem as before.
Warning says:

xscreensaver-demo is running as user "root" on host "puppypc".
But the xscreensaver managing display ":00" is running as user "nobody" on host "puppypc".

Since they are different users, they won't be reading/writing the same ~/.xscreeensaver file, so xscreensaver-demo isn't going to work right.

You should either re-run xscreensaver-demo as "nobody" or re-run xscreensaver as "root"

How do I do that?

Sky Aisling

#25 Post by Sky Aisling »

@Puppyluvr,

I've tinkered a bit with your screensaver running it with this configuration:

Toshiba 2805-S401
RAM = 256 mb
Puppy 4.3.1. installed on HDD

Puppy Screensaver is running pretty good in slide show mode *without* fade effects and using the background file that Nathan Wallpaper Setter uses.

Is there a way to point it to another file than /user/share/backgrounds?
Is there a way to have it return to the desktop screen with a mouse over feature?

Right now, the 'esc' key has to be punched a bunch of times to get it to return to the desktop screen.

Thank you for all your good work.

vtpup

#26 Post by vtpup »

Sky Aisling wrote: Is there a way to point it to another file than /user/share/backgrounds?
vtpup wrote: Also if you want to change the directory that gets shown on the screensaver, symlink it into the /usr/local/PuppyBasicScreensaver02/resource/slideshow/ directory. The default symlink in there is called Backgrounds, which gives you a slideshow of the Puppy wallpaper directory. I removed this symlink and replaced it with a symlink to a directory I preferred.
[color=darkblue]Acer Aspire 5349-2635 laptop Tahrpup.[/color]
[color=blue]Acer R11 and C720 Chromebks Bionicpup64[/color]
[color=olive]Acer Iconia A1-830 tablet no pup[/color]
[color=orange]www.sredmond.com[/color]

Bruce B

#27 Post by Bruce B »

After reading this topic I decided to make a slide show.

The presentation utility is GQview, which is not included with Puppy. I
start it with a JWM shortcut Alt+q. GQview closes with Ctrl+q. For this
reason I decided to start it with Alt+q, it is easy to remember.

Also, I want to add up to thousands for pics from many locations, without
increasing the size of pupsave much. I use symlinks to keep the space
used by puppy way down. 1500 pics might use about 1M space in symlinks.

Set your show preferences up inside GQview.

Feel free to use the script as a template. I've tested it over the last few
days and it works fine.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

playdir="/root/.slideshow"

function makelinks() {

[ ! $playdir ] && mkdir $playdir
        ln -svi $PWD/*.jpg ${playdir}

}

function slideshow() {

gqview -f -s $playdir/ &
        disown

}

function manager() {

gqview $playdir &
        disown

}

function showhelp() {

execfn=`basename $0`
printf "
 $execfn help

Options:

-show    : to play slide show using gqview
      -mklinks : to make symlinks in user defined directory
      -mgr     : use gqview to manage symlinks in $playdir

Using Gqview - setup options such as delay, random, quality
    in the gqview interface - $execfn will use those settings

Why symlinks? (1) To easily use different directories. (2)
    To be able to remove files from our show and not delete the
    originals. (3) Avoid adding much space to the pupsave file.

To make symlinks: cd to directories containing your images,
    from each directory, type '$execfn -mklinks'

"

}

case $1 in

-show) slideshow      ;;
    -mklinks) makelinks   ;;
    -mgr) manager         ;;
    *-h*) showhelp        ;;

esac

~