make command doesn't work?

Booting, installing, newbie
_person_

make command doesn't work?

#1 Post by _person_ »

I'm trying to install some things, but the make command isn't working for some reason. The readme says to:

1. make distclean

in terminal:

Code: Select all

make: ***No rule to make target `distclean'. Stop.
2. ./configure

-sh: ./configure: No such file or directory
But I know that there is that file.

3. make all

make: ***No rule to make target `all'. Stop.
4. make install

make: ***No rule to make target `install'. Stop.

I know that this should work since several other people have made it work. Any suggestions?

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

You need to type these commands from inside the folder that contains the source code. Then:

./configure
make
etc.

_person_

#3 Post by _person_ »

That was where I did that, but just to be safe I tried, but failed. :(

Billwho?
Trialing 4.20

#4 Post by Billwho? »

You have downloaded and installed the devx_xxx.sfs package for your version of puppy from Here haven't you? If not, the directories containing the devx_xxx.sfs packages for different versions of Puppy are at the bottom of the page I have linked to. Just download the devx _xxx.sfs where xxx is the same as the version number of the Puppy you are using.
Linux = Learning through doing :shock: :? :D
The learning curve may be steep but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
You just have to pass the occasional oncoming train to get there.

SirDuncan

#5 Post by SirDuncan »

The make command is working, so I think devx is installed. Can you tell us what output you get if you type "ls" in the terminal?
Be brave that God may help thee, speak the truth even if it leads to death, and safeguard the helpless. - A knight's oath

_person_

#6 Post by _person_ »

Choices ftpd my-applications puppy-reference Startup
File-Sharing httpd my-documents spot

and the ftpd is highlighted green(never seen that in the terminal before :P )

And I do have devx_412 installed.

muggins

#7 Post by muggins »

maybe the package you're trying to compile has something amiss...can you give a link to the package?

Sage

#8 Post by Sage »

the make command isn't working for some reason
Funny you should raise this. Bit out of my depth (as usual) but I stumbled into a request for missing 'make' and 'gcc' recently. Couldn't easily locate either or deal with that so moved on to several other live projects (story of my life). Don't ask for details, didn't register them!

SirDuncan

#9 Post by SirDuncan »

_person_ wrote:Choices ftpd my-applications puppy-reference Startup
File-Sharing httpd my-documents spot
Okay, that's one of the two things I thought it might be. When it was said that you must be in the directory with the program to be compiled, you assumed that ROX was meant when it is the terminal that must must be navigated to the proper place. Judging from the directory contents, I believe that you are in "/root". This is the default directory for the terminal. You can either manually change the directory with the "cd" command (i.e.: cd /1stfolder/2ndfolder/etc) or you can just browse to the directory in ROX and click the ~ key. This opens up a terminal to the same location as ROX instead of the default /root. Then you should be able to go ahead with your compiling.

Let me know if that's not quite clear.
Be brave that God may help thee, speak the truth even if it leads to death, and safeguard the helpless. - A knight's oath

_person_

#10 Post by _person_ »

I was in the directory when I was compiling. I guess I didn't see you tell me to go into the directory with the files. So I know that wasn't the problem.

@muggins: http://www.daimonin.com/download.html/, it's a game client. Other people play the game on linux, so I'm pretty sure that's not part of the problem.

SirDuncan

#11 Post by SirDuncan »

Okay, it looks like the permissions on the configure script are not set to allow execution. Right click on the script and select "permissions", then "quiet". Now try to run it from the terminal.

_person_

#12 Post by _person_ »

Thanks, the ./configure works now, but not the makes aren't working. Is there something else besides devx_412 that needs to be installed to make stuff?

SirDuncan

#13 Post by SirDuncan »

No, nothing else is needed to compile. Some programs have dependencies on other programs/libraries (like DLLs in Windows), and you have to install those first before compiling. Of course, in that case the configure script would exit with an error stating that such-and-such "cannot be found" or "does not exist in the library search path".

I note that the read me says it requires SDL. Did you install that first? It's available from the package manager.

_person_

#14 Post by _person_ »

The readme only says that SDL needed to be installed in order to run the client, not compiling it... However, I tried with SDL anyways, but still got the same error.

SirDuncan

#15 Post by SirDuncan »

I think that you will find the error message is not exactly the same. It is probably asking for the SDL_image libs now. It's also going to ask for some other stuff. Some of it may be available pre-compiled from the package manager, other stuff you may have to compile yourself. It's a good learning experience for you. Just remember to read the error output carefully.

_person_

#16 Post by _person_ »

I'm 100% sure it's the exact same error:

make: ***No rule to make target `all'. Stop.
and:

make: ***No rule to make target `install'. Stop

SirDuncan

#17 Post by SirDuncan »

No, I meant the error from the configure script. If you run "./configure" you will see that it is exiting with an error. The make command will never work until the configure script creates a file called Makefile. This will not happen until the configure script exits without an error.

Basically, you have gone too far by running "make" and "make install". You need to get "./configure" to exit properly first. Don't even bother with any make based command yet.

_person_

#18 Post by _person_ »

Ahhhh... Well, I did that, and I got something about physfs not being installed. So I installed it, and now the error is:

checking SDL.h usability... yes
checking SDL.h presence... yes
checking for SDL.h... yes
checking SDL_image.h usability... no
checking SDL_image.h presence... no
checking for SDL_image... no
configure: error: *** SDL_image include files not found!
You should install the development package.
I have SDL, and I used "rpm -i SDL_image-devel-1.2.7-1.i386.rpm" in the console, and the same with SDL_mixer, and it put all of the files where they belong... What's the problem now?

muggins

#19 Post by muggins »

It could be that the source files are expecting SDL .h files to be in /usr/include or /usr/include/SDL. Check where the SDL dev .rpm extracted the SDL_image.h file to. If it's put it in /usr/include/SDL, then try symlinking:

ln -s /usr/include/SDL/* /usr/include
I find turma a really useful program for finding where files are expecting things to be. It needs gtk1 libraries though.

_person_

make command doesn't work? [solved]

#20 Post by _person_ »

Finally :D It works, thanks everyone.