Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 21 Oct 2014, 18:14
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
How to create SWAP on USB key?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
klasu777

PostPosted: Thu 09 Apr 2009, 01:18    Post_subject:  How to create SWAP on USB key?  

Hi Folks,

I'm trying to make Puppy use some swap. But it seems i'm not doing it properly and would appreciate your help.

My Puppy version is 2.14. It appears that the complete OS is running in RAM (Size 124MB); it can also create the pup_save.2fs file (Size 500 MB) saved on a USB key.

Now, whenever i create some swap, everything is create in RAM instead of being created on the USB key. To create the swap here is what i do:

$ dd if=/dev/zero of=/myswap bs=1024 count=1024
$ mkswap /myswap 1024
$ swapon -a

So, what am i missing?

Thanks,

Klaus.
Bruce B

PostPosted: Fri 10 Apr 2009, 17:46    Post_subject: Re: How to create SWAP on USB key?  

klasu777 wrote:
Hi Folks,

I'm trying to make Puppy use some swap. But it seems i'm not doing it properly and would appreciate your help.

My Puppy version is 2.14. It appears that the complete OS is running in RAM (Size 124MB); it can also create the pup_save.2fs file (Size 500 MB) saved on a USB key.

Now, whenever i create some swap, everything is create in RAM instead of being created on the USB key. To create the swap here is what i do:

$ dd if=/dev/zero of=/myswap bs=1024 count=1024
$ mkswap /myswap 1024
$ swapon -a

So, what am i missing?

Thanks,

Klaus.

If $ is root, the only thing not done properly is the swapon command which needs to specify the full name of the swapfile.

# swapon /foo/bar/swapfile.swp

potchan

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jun 2009, 16:02    Post_subject: Don't, please don't do swap on USB key
Sub_title: I made a swap USB key for myself (Gparted), but only for testings

Hi,

It is not recommended to make swap on flash media, because if swap writes itself a lot (in some opposite ratio to RAM amount) it can be ruined fast and it's not healthy for media U count-on for OS and DATA. If you make swap on /root you probably avoid some writings, but enlarging ISO/boot time. If you need swap - do it please as a partition or a swapfile onHD. See also:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=37660

See also a link to another topic and search there for "Max and Moritz HORROR fly show" for a fresh thought. Evil or Very Mad

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=277888

Cheers ! Wink

Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum