Hacking Puppy's init script

Using applications, configuring, problems
sidders

#16 Post by sidders »

Thanks Bruce. I will do some experimenting.

Bruce B

Lesson?

#17 Post by Bruce B »

if you don't feel confident, I can stuff it into a lesson in the TUI series, it has a place

But let me know!

Jim1911

#18 Post by Jim1911 »

Bruce,

I have converted a number of pup_save.2fs files to .3fs and had no problems with the .3fs, but could see no advantage. However, the .3fs was never mounted properly.

Please do
stuff it into a lesson in the TUI series
and post a link to your TUI series. I have learned a lot from your posts although many are over my head.

How can we get Barry to revisit this ext2, vs ext3 question? Of course, now it's (ext4) also, since woof series pups now recognize ext4 partitions.

Still learning, Thanks,
Jim

gyro

#19 Post by gyro »

Jim1911 wrote: However, the .3fs was never mounted properly.
The pup_save file is mounted by a script called "init", which resides within "initrd.gz". The release version of "init" always mounts the pup_save file as ext2. To get an ext3 pup_save file mounted as ext3, you need to use a modified "initrd.gz" containing a modified "init" script.

I posted a modified "init" script for puppy412, earlier in the thread that mounts pup_save.3fs files as ext3 and pup_save.2fs files as ext2.

I would like to see the release version of "init" modified so that it mounts:
pup_save.2fs as ext2
pup_save.3fs as ext3
pup_save.4fs as ext4.
Then users only have to convert and rename their pup_save file to use the filesystem of their choice. Don't have to generate a new initrd.gz.

gyro