Puppy 4.2 smp

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
MU

#46 Post by MU »

the method described for jcoder, copies everything.
The source itself, his settings, and the compiled binaries.
So he could upload a complete kernel with everything included.

If you mean my general instruction:
the 2.6.25.16_410.sfs has the complete kernelsource, so also the C headers.

In addition, each devx sfs has a set of some older kernelheaders in /usr/include/linux.
But to compile own modules, you need the ones from the kernel sfs.

Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

ecomoney

#47 Post by ecomoney »

The reason Im worrying about abiword (I use OO myself) is that a little bird tells me that it MAY be possible to use this as a base for a CE or next official version. At the moment puppylinux.org is still distributing the very buggy 4.2 standard...and this may be a shortcut to getting those ISO's replaced before too many new linux users get the misguided idea that Linux cant handle M$ Word documents.
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

DaveS

#48 Post by DaveS »

ecomoney wrote:The reason Im worrying about abiword (I use OO myself) is that a little bird tells me that it MAY be possible to use this as a base for a CE or next official version. At the moment puppylinux.org is still distributing the very buggy 4.2 standard...and this may be a shortcut to getting those ISO's replaced before too many new linux users get the misguided idea that Linux cant handle M$ Word documents.
YUP........... printing was the chore I expected. Got it up and running more or less now, but I have to use the 'wrong' driver and install an earlier CUPS courtesy of rcrsn51. I think it might be good to revert to CUPS 1.3.9 for 4.2 smp
OK, it dont autodect network printers, but it also dont hang at the drop of a hat!
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

ecomoney

#49 Post by ecomoney »

I absolutely agree DaveS, its better to make sure base functions work before adding nice to haves. Wordprocessing/Printing are the absolute base functions that people want. Thanks for letting us know about your success with reverting CUPS, it seems we may have to do the same with AbiWord also for any official 4.2 bugfix version.

Thanks for the benefit of your knowledge MU, I will test those Abiword packages and get back. Sorry I thought that kernelmodules/C headers and things were used for recompiling. There is a patch to the AbiWord C source code on one of those links to known bugs. I may not know many specifics......but I am aware of general principles ;-)
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

ecomoney

#50 Post by ecomoney »

Ive just got this quote from another thread
I don't think you can seriously recommend that smp version since it has no kernel source available. You can't compile nvidia drivers, vmware, or anything else kernel related.
Just a query..is this true? Will the SMP support break existing software?

Ive moved the abiword bug report to the end of the Abiword problem in 4.2 thread, its better categorized there.

Caneri

#51 Post by Caneri »

Hi All,

I would like offer my support for SMP and to see a build with duo/quad core support to proceed to a final with devx, bugfixes etc.

Personally I look for smp support and know of many others wanting duo/quad support as well, judging from my email.

Also..pwidgets is not only bling but useful. The pwidget for core temp and cpu_ram usage is a handy bit if info at a glance for users to be sure a users machine is not overheating and the cores are being used as intended.

I can host all this if anyone wants to do the build. Maybe we can run a new directory just for dual/quad core .sfs etc. I know the public will like it very much.

@Pizzagood....is a seperate build tree needed for smp kernel support on Git?

Anyway..this is just my wish for 4.2SMP...thanks.

Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

MU

#52 Post by MU »

Just a query..is this true? Will the SMP support break existing software?
That software, that uses Kernelmodules.
Like the Nvidia drivers or Virtualbox, their kernelmodule must be recompiled.

But not typical applications like abiword or firefox.

Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

aragon

#53 Post by aragon »

Hi guys,

i feel like i have to sort some things:

What comes next:
- I will try to build a proper devx with the needed kernel-related upgrades. => NOT NEEDED devx from P 4.2 is ok
- I've pm'ed jcoder24 to submit a kernel-sfs if he still has his build. => FIRST POST
- I will upload a patched installer. => FIRST POST

How will this release be maintained?
- I will not maintain this as a bugfix-release. Maybe i will provide xdelta-patches if more bugfixes are submitted to the official bugfix-thread of Puppy 4.2.
- I will upload a patched installer. => FIRST POST
- If there are issues with using the standard-packages with the smp-kernel (like pwigets CPU_ram widget) i will try to solve them.

What is it, what is it not?
- It is a quick hack, that will work for some people and for some not.
- It is NOT an official release.
- It is NOT a bugfix release of the official release.

NOTE:
I know, many people want to have a puppy with smp-support. the one i made is an attempt.
But please: Help the TEAM to build and test a new kernel for future official releases. That's what i'm going to do. All power should be allocated there. Please see this thread ofr more information: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=40488

@ jcoder24
thanks for your info. i sent you a pm.

@ MU
thanks for your input. i will try your steps.

@ DaveS
Is performance and OO possible?
Sorry just kidding. You might not gain performance in running OO seperately but you might gain performance if you run some apps side by side because they could be run on the second kernel.

@ DC
i will try to 'upgrade' the devx and to submit a kernel.sfs. maybe you could test MU's workaround? thanks.

@ ecomoney
you're right, it's better to post these bugreports to the official thread, as long as they belong to the original-packages.

aragon
Last edited by aragon on Mon 20 Apr 2009, 09:04, edited 2 times in total.

ecomoney

#54 Post by ecomoney »

Thanks for clarifying things Aragon, even if its not the news I wanted to hear.

DC

#55 Post by DC »

Hi aragon

thats great!

thanks in advance (and to all the others involved)

DC

aragon

#56 Post by aragon »

ok some progress.

1. devx
the standard-4.2-devx should be fully useable, at it does not contain any kernel-specific files/infos.

so compiling 'normal' apps and libs should be no problem at all.

2. kernel-files
with some more infos from MU, i packaged a kernel-sfs (on base of MUs files). i will upload this for TESTing this evening. If jcoder has a package of the 'original'-files that would be better but MU said that this could/should also work.

@ DC
i will upload the kernel-sfs this evening (europe) and send you a pm. it would be very nice, if you could test it, as i don't know anything about compiling kernel-modules (atm).

aragon

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#57 Post by Lobster »

1. devx
the standard-4.2-devx should be fully useable, at it does not contain any kernel-specific files/infos.

so compiling 'normal' apps and libs should be no problem at all.
I just compiled a genie program using vala 6.1 and 4.2 devx. Worked OK (not much of a test but some confirmation) :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

aragon

#58 Post by aragon »

uploaded patched puppyinstaller to first post.

aragon

DaveS

#59 Post by DaveS »

OK, I got printing working properly, explanation here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 5&start=15
Its a general printing problem related to CUPs/old drivers etc, but in the end was easy to fix with help from this forum.
BUT. Odd problem this one, menu>desktop, set global font size does not load. Can someone test this to see if it is my system or a bug please?
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

aragon

#60 Post by aragon »

SEE MAIN POST:
- Test release of Kernel-Src available
- New: Some tips
- Updated: Bugs

aragon

aragon

#61 Post by aragon »

@Dave

i'll update main post with your tip on cups.
Odd problem this one, menu>desktop, set global font size does not load. Can someone test this to see if it is my system or a bug please?
will test and report back.

aragon

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#62 Post by Béèm »

Aragon,
As you are 'playing' with the kernel, would it be feasible to use the 2.6.29.1 one?

This one, as far as I see, is the only one which supports my Medion MD8818 desktop with the two sata HDD's and I would like to use puppy on my desktop.

If not feasible, no hard feelings.
I'll still follow the project.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

aragon

#63 Post by aragon »

Hi Béèm,

yes i wanted to, but the problem is the method of playing: atm it's simply trial and error :(

but i do want to learn, as compiling a kernel seems to be that 'great linux adventure' ;-)

i will keep you up-to-date.

aragon

aragon

#64 Post by aragon »

@ Dave
Odd problem this one, menu>desktop, set global font size does not load. Can someone test this to see if it is my system or a bug please?
Tested this on 4.2-smp, worked for me, see image below. settings also work after x-restart.

aragon
Attachments
fontsize.png
(172.22 KiB) Downloaded 1049 times

DaveS

#65 Post by DaveS »

Thanks. Ran 'refresh Menus' and it was fine again............
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!