Watch out for Windows and Google Interference.

News, happenings
april

Watch out for Windows and Google Interference.

#1 Post by april »

I have come to the conclusion that there are people employed by Microsoft/Window /Google etc whose task it is to try to sabotage Linux by any means .

All the new issues of Windows try to make it harder for Linux to be used . Ext 2/3 and 4 file systems are not recognised etc etc.

So what I suggest you do is boycott any user who advocates using windows in any way to get or download files and programs and any stuff that is freely available for download in Linux. They can add anything they like to that free software ,make it into a self extracting file and provide a new md5 sum to match .

It does not take much thought to realise that they will be implanted in every Linux site running trying to undermine its users and uses.
Last edited by april on Mon 21 May 2018, 19:32, edited 3 times in total.

drunkjedi

#2 Post by drunkjedi »

Microsoft became "Platinum" Member of "Linux Foundation" couple of year ago.
If you see the board members of linux foundation you can see microsoft there.

"Board members represent Linux Foundation members and the Linux developer community, and set the strategic direction for the organization."

They can't kill you from outside. So they join you and kill you from inside.
Trojan horse.... this is all my speculation. I may be wrong.

The Linux Foundation now offers a new training course, "Administering Linux on Azure".
So that’s the nonprofit Linux Foundation pushing more Linux professionals to seek more Microsoft Azure cloud skills.

I am just being a paranoid....

I used to run and love cyanogen on my android...
Microsoft joined them too... and now there are no more cyanogen roms......

nosystemdthanks

Re: Watch out for Windows and Google Interference.

#3 Post by nosystemdthanks »

april wrote:I have come to the conclusion that there are people employed by Microsoft/Window /Google etc whose task it is to try to sabotage Linux by any means .
oh they certainly are. but theyre not doing it through windows, theyre doing it through android and chrome/books and enterprise "linux" corporations. theyre doing it through suse and red hat and canonical.

this is real, but its far more involved to talk about than most people have any interest in. rather than say this to discourage you-- i would say that if you care about it, keep talking about it. it will be uphill all the way, but if you care about this dont give it up.

many years ago, there was the sco battle. we won, but it made people think it was an isolated event. sco was a battle, and the war never ended. it doesnt end with satya, it doesnt end with "<3 linux" (on the contrary, thats part of it) and it doesnt end with systemd (red hat/freedesktop.)

this is ongoing-- for more than a decade. and to give you an idea of the scale-- if you wanted to spend 1 hour a day on this every day, you would never run out of intrigue. they are at war with us, a long and very drawn out war to have the world refer to our software (that we wrote) as belonging to microsoft-- and to have them grant us "permission" to use our own work; which is one reason i will never use suse. (but it is linuss favourite!)

01micko

#4 Post by 01micko »

How to Destroy FOSS from Within (Part 1)

Be sure to read Parts 2,3,4 as well.

By jamesbond
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

nic007

#5 Post by nic007 »

What is linux's market share compared to windows? Don't think it's worthwhile the trouble for windows. Linux is small fish in a very big pool. And why would a windows user want to "sabotage" linux software? Windows have more free applications and mostly better ones too.

april

#6 Post by april »

It would be good to know what FOSS is.

s243a

#7 Post by s243a »

april wrote:It would be good to know what FOSS is.
Free and Open Source Software

tallboy

#8 Post by tallboy »

Bash is now introduced in Windows 10. I wonder how long it takes for Mirosoft to introduce their own version...
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

quirkian2new

#9 Post by quirkian2new »

As time goes by, i think there WILL BE more and more "obstacles and barriers" for linux users. The so called uefi may be one of them, which makes booting linux harder and even harder.

It seems that some linux companies are very close "partners" of Microsoft, their ultimate aim may be to destruct or kill all other linux distros.

Galbi

#10 Post by Galbi »

Ubuntu 18.04 is now available in the Microsoft Store
Link (in Spanish): https://www.muylinux.com/2018/05/17/ubu ... indows-10/
That mentions the EEE (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrace,_ ... extinguish)
================
nic007 wrote:What is linux's market share compared to windows? Don't think it's worthwhile the trouble for windows. Linux is small fish in a very big pool. And why would a windows user want to "sabotage" linux software? Windows have more free applications and mostly better ones too.
But, what about the Servers world? And the Super-Computers world? https://www.top500.org/statistics/sublist/

Saludos.
Remember: [b][i]"pecunia pecuniam parere non potest"[/i][/b]

nosystemdthanks

#11 Post by nosystemdthanks »

nic007 wrote:What is linux's market share compared to windows? Don't think it's worthwhile the trouble for windows. Linux is small fish in a very big pool.
oh, hello 2003. i take it youre unfamiliar with the efforts of microsoft to fight gnu/linux?

1. youre unfamiliar with what happened to nokia, under the leadership of a ceo who left microsoft, gutted nokia, and then went back to microsoft?

2. youre unfamiliar with steve ballmers fud against the gpl? (dont tell me its not fud-- if "linux" doesnt matter to microsoft, the gpl wouldnt either.)

3. youre unfamiliar with the halloween documents, the internal memos where microsoft outlined how to fight the "linux threat" many years ago--

4. youre unfamiliar with the sco battle, which followed the tactics outlined in the halloween documents, and the suse agreement, wherein microsoft got suse to claim/agree that they were using microsofts property?

5. are you familiar with all the recent (public) deals between microsoft and red hat, canonical and debian, in the past year or two alone? i mean is that microsoft investing in something it doesnt care about, or are they doing it as some sort of charity work? note this is microsoft the company, not the bill and melinda gates foundation.

6. are you familiar with microsofts adoption of android (linux kernel-based) as a platform? despite the fact that windows already had a phone platform, which they are for the most part, dropping?

or as an alternative-- you are in fact aware of all of these things, and you still insist-- straight-faced, year after year, that "Don't think it's worthwhile the trouble for windows. Linux is small fish in a very big pool."

really? thats quite amazing. and heres a tip from 2018: dont buy nokia stock!

nic007

#12 Post by nic007 »

Linux is as much a threat to Microsoft as Halloween is to Father Christmas.

nosystemdthanks

#13 Post by nosystemdthanks »

nic007 wrote:Linux is as much a threat to Microsoft as Halloween is to Father Christmas.
alright-- lets say for the sake of argument that by virtue of repeating this statement it becomes magically true.

why does microsoft waste money and time and promotion on android, debian, red hat, "microsoft <3 linux", and canonical (wsl)...

when

a. "linux" is not a threat

b. in the past when they said it was, they recommended via internal documents that they be dealt with more or less in the fashion they are dealing with them right now?

remember: we have accepted for the moment that "linux is not a threat" to microsoft.

so why is microsoft following their own plans for dealing with a threat? perhaps its just a drill? maybe a sort of game for long-running evenings in redmond? what?

i mean youre being quite obtuse with this simple, ridiculous statement.

fairly new story: https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing ... t-windows/

rockedge

#14 Post by rockedge »

which OS is embedded in most devices like IP net cameras?
which OS dominates the large server farms and most web servers and dns servers on this planet?

I think the answer is mostly Linux is a various flavors.

microsoft knows Windows server software is not in the same league.
microsoft wants to grow and intends on growing in the server realms.

when one does the math and accounts for microsoft's past actions........

of course they are doing what ever it takes to either assimilate Linux or destroy it.

nosystemdthanks

#15 Post by nosystemdthanks »

rockedge wrote:of course they are doing what ever it takes to either assimilate Linux or destroy it.
and if you want them to fail, their main weapons are:

* software patents, which are bogus but troublesome

* patent "agreements" which are bogus but reinforce the bogus patents

* fud and driving development of solutions that are overly complex. dont believe? red hat cto brian stevens:
Red Hat's model works because of the complexity of the technology we work with. An operating platform has a lot of moving parts, and customers are willing to pay to be insulated from that complexity.

I don't think you can take one finite element - like Apache - and make a business out of it [using our model]. You need product complexity.
http://asay.blogspot.ru/2006/10/intervi ... brian.html

disciple

#16 Post by disciple »

nic007 wrote:What is linux's market share compared to windows? Don't think it's worthwhile the trouble for windows. Linux is small fish in a very big pool. And why would a windows user want to "sabotage" linux software? Windows have more free applications and mostly better ones too.
Sure, because everyone runs Windows on their server, router, phone, TV, kodi box, wristwatch, ereader and embedded devices!
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

#17 Post by disciple »

BTW, WSL is great if you are ever forced to run Windows. There are performance issues (e.g. if you want to use it for server software), but otherwise, if you do things the linux way instead of the windows way, it is like Windows has almost become a real operating system (i.e. a system which actually lets you do stuff, instead of doing its best to prevent you from doing stuff).

Currently it doesn't seem to involve Microsoft taking over any of the Linux software - they have just reimplemented the Linux kernel interface, so your chosen distro runs on top of the Windows kernel instead of Linux.

WSL could even be helpful if we are worried about systemd taking over the world, because last I heard there was no intention to make it play nicely with systemd.

FWIW only a few distros are available in the Windows store, but the tool for packaging up a distro for WSL is now available on github - at least in theory anyone could just package up a 64bit Puppy and sideload it, without even going through the store.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

#18 Post by disciple »

Interesting figures via Wikipedia. This isn't for "mobile devices" or anything like that. "All" devices.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_sha ... ng_systems
Attachments
Capture.JPG
(21.44 KiB) Downloaded 215 times

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

nosystemdthanks

#19 Post by nosystemdthanks »

disciple wrote:Currently it doesn't seem to involve Microsoft taking over any of the Linux software - they have just reimplemented the Linux kernel interface
there is no "linux software", other than the kernel, but there is plenty of software for the linux kernel.

semantics aside, the "takeover" of gnu/linux is mostly by legal means (patent trolling and dubious patents) and partner companies restructuring the software that runs on our side. wsl is more of a marketshare attack, but it was mentioned mostly as evidence that microsoft considers gnu/linux "relevant."