pupeee 4.2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
luther349

#121 Post by luther349 »

well as i said beta puppy has 2.6.30 so all is good on that front. they wont be many issues with drivers in puppy 4.3 at least not with netbooks. i will be addin this to puppy being it works in 2.6.30
http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=65606

scprosser

Goin Crazy Here!

#122 Post by scprosser »

Ok guys, brain dead moment...I've got an Asus EeePC 700 (2G Surf), I had Pupeee 4.2 installed to the SSD before so it would boot from the SSD, and everything ran fine...then I got dumb, tried a few other OS versions, and now am back to Pupeee...using the same disc I installed from before, and do you THINK I can get it to install, so that I don't have to boot from a USB device or SD Card! Not to save my friggin life!

I'm about ready to smash the damned thing off a wall.

I've gone in with GParted, wiped the partition, started over with a fresh partition, remembered to set the partition to boot in GParted, done a frugal install, named my save file, no issues...but when I reboot, I cannot boot from the SSD, plug in a USB stick or a USB DVD Rom, and off she goes, no prob, so OBVIOUSLY I'm missing something! If one of the guru's could tell me what I'm missing, I'd LOVE to be back to booting just from my netbook itself!

Thanks.

Never Mind, found the issue, and seem to have it fixed now *crosses fingers*

Wish me luck, I'm goin in!

cthisbear

#123 Post by cthisbear »

"Never Mind, found the issue, and seem to have it fixed now *crosses fingers*

Wish me luck, I'm goin in! "

Please post your fix for the benefit of others.

Cheers.......Chris.

tempestuous

#124 Post by tempestuous »

luther349 wrote:i will be addin this to puppy being it works in 2.6.30
http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=65606
That's elmurato's Eeeasy Scripts for hotkey support.
They require extra utilities, such as acpid, and some of the scripts are incompatible with Puppy, so some hotkeys would fail.

Forum member jakfish and I are currently testing Puppy 4.3-compatible Eee hotkey scripts, based on the scripts from "fewt" here
http://sourceforge.net/projects/eeepc-acpi-util/
We're almost there.

luther349

#125 Post by luther349 »

nice. i once again attempted dri on beta 3 with the new drivers and boom black screen. that's just not gonna happen with puppy as it is.

scprosser

#126 Post by scprosser »

cthisbear wrote: Please post your fix for the benefit of others.

Cheers.......Chris.
When I was installing GRUB, I kept missing the step of making sure I was installing it to the MBR, so it was defaulting to root (which won't work no matter HOW much you beg, plead, whine, and scream...TRUST ME! )

Hopefully, it will help someone else!

luther349

#127 Post by luther349 »

so far everything checks out on the stock version hotkeys sound etc. being they used 2.6.30 witch has netbook well supported i dont think i will have to do another.

calexand

need help with this PupEee...

#128 Post by calexand »

Installed firepup and can't uninstall it, it is much too old and slow...
Can't get any version of firefox to install...
Can anyone help with this?
Thank you.

luther349

#129 Post by luther349 »

a new guy took over the pupeee name heh. seems he did alot more then i could. so give his distro a run.

andrewz

#130 Post by andrewz »

pupeee 4.2 cannot compile on debian but older ver is compile well!
astigmatism

darkcity

#131 Post by darkcity »

what is the relationship between Pupeee and Puppeee if any?

Donncha

#132 Post by Donncha »

darkcity, if you go back to around Sept 2009 on this thread you will find Jeminah and Luther were collaborating on Puppy, Pupeee or Puppeee!! At about that time Jem went off on her own and that was when I first found her.

I seem to remember she was living in a Tampa swamp weekly commuting to somewhere like DC and doing her stuff from a hotel room!! I have been reading her old posts and am amazed at how much she did in a bit over a year! I wish I had saved her blog! I have checked the Wayback Machine - they seem to have trawled her site a few times but I only got blank pages .... :(
Don

nooby

#133 Post by nooby »

Does not Luther mirror her files on his server then?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

darkcity

#134 Post by darkcity »

Thanks for the information

maybe Puppeee should be added to time line wiki?

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/PuppyTimeLine

nooby

#135 Post by nooby »

Jemimah on comparing Puppeee with her Fluppy
http://208.109.22.214/puppy/viewtopic.p ... ee1#450228
Puppeee 1.0 should be called Puppeee 4.3X. Most of the libs in 4.3X are the same as 4.3.1. This version is considered stable.

4.4 is my new development version. I'm updating the multimedia stuff and continuing moving forward, trying new things, etc.

Fluppy 005 is the same as Puppeee 4.4Beta1 except the kernel and Eee-control.
So I have the files for one version puppeee 4.4 not sure which but I gave the sfs numbers. I also have the fluppy from about 8 to 13 and some of them isos others just the files but that should be usable too.

Why would anybody need them if Snow Puppy use the same drivers and works as good? Just me curious?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

luther349

hi

#136 Post by luther349 »

no i never worked with anyone else when i did 4.2. i took the name from the original abandon pupee distro that used puppy 3x. and named it 4.2 to avoid confusion. i simply added the patches available to the public so it worked out of the box. then the main puppy distro added the same drivers to there main distro losing the need for pupeee. pupeee 4.3 and up are done by another dev who really goes all out on setting it up for net-book using a different kernel etc. kinda old news thow.

a 4.3 release from me never happond due to issues with x and getting dri to work at the time. of course once puppy 5 came out those issues whent away and once again i had no need to do anything. unless you guys whant me to do something with netbook style apps and ui.

calexand

#137 Post by calexand »

I, for one, would love it if you would do something new for the EeePC's! I have two 900A's and would like to see a new OS optimized for them.
CA