Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 16 Sep 2014, 19:55
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
CUPS in 4.2/Using a pup_save Made in 4.12
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
jakfish

PostPosted: Tue 31 Mar 2009, 07:32    Post subject:  CUPS in 4.2/Using a pup_save Made in 4.12  

Bravo for an incredible release. It's very impressive--both the bling and non-bling versions work great on the ASUS EEE 900. Many, many thanks for the hard work of so many.

Updating from 4.12, 4.2 appears to love everything about my pup_save file execept CUPS. I find my installed printers in CUPS on-line setup, but accessing them in a word processing program crashes the EEE.

So I thought I would simply reinstall my printers. No such luck. I have only the most miinimum of menu options in CUPS--no USB port choice, no serial, few printer choices, and certainly no samba printing (my samba and necessary symlink are properly setup).

Can I assume this is because 4.2 is accessing a 4.12 CUPS setup (with its different version of CUPS software)?

If so, what can I delete to force a fresh CUPS printer installation?

Everything else from the 4.12 save files works stupendously--previously-installed apps, wine apps, etc. This is the only problem.

Any enlightenment would be much appreciated,
Jake
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Tue 31 Mar 2009, 11:35    Post subject:  

Have you tried 4.2 on any other machines? How did CUPS behave there?

Have you tried running 4.2 on the EEE without a savefile? Assuming that you are running it from a GRUB menu, the easiest way would be to create a new menu.lst entry that looks like:
Code:
kernel ................. pfix=ram

Then test CUPS.

When debugging CUPS, it's best to print a test page instead of running an application. That way, you get to see any error messages.

In addition to the smb symlink issue, there was a permissions problem in the RC versions that may still need correcting in the final release. Read here.

Unfortunately, in my experience, the CUPS 1.4Beta in 4.2 will go buggy when you try to delete or modify existing printers. So it's tough to tell where your problem may lie. Go to /initrd/pup_rw and look in the folders /etc/cups, /usr/lib/cups and /usr/share/cups. They will contain the CUPS stuff that has carried over from your old pup_save.
jakfish

PostPosted: Tue 31 Mar 2009, 13:21    Post subject:  

rcrsn51--

Many thanks for the pointers, and the directory tips. When I use a fresh install of pup_save in 4.2, I see more print options, including samba, so the problem does indeed lie in the transition b/w 4.1.2 and 4.2.

What I'd like to do is set up CUPS in a fresh install of 4.2 and copy these files into the 4.1.2/now-4.2 pup_save file. I've tried that already with overwriting this directory: /initd/pup_r01/usr/etc/cups. That cups directory holds the printers.conf, etc., but still no joy--I'm still getting screen lockups and no ability to add a USB or networked printer in CUPS on-line.

I can overwrite directories or delete all things CUPS in my 4.1.2 pup_save file. Either one, I'll try.

CUPS is the only thing preventing a successful update. Everything else has transferred over with no problem.

Jake
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Tue 31 Mar 2009, 14:46    Post subject:  

The other possibility is to install CUPS 1.3.9 into your 4.2 setup. However, I would first make a backup copy of your current pup_save file in case things get worse.
jakfish

PostPosted: Tue 31 Mar 2009, 16:35    Post subject:  

rcrsn51--

You solved it: CUPS 1.3.9. I used original pup_save from 4.1.2, had 4.20 do its update thing to it, then once at the desktop, before anything else, I installed CUPS 1.3.9, saved, and rebooted.

Everything works fine print-wise, including my samba/xp network printing setup.

For the record then: using a 4.1.2 pup_save file that is fully tricked for the ASUS EEE 900--wifi, hotkeys, fan control, x-brightness control--a user can migrate easily to 4.2 as long as CUPS 1.3.9 is installed.

Again, many thanks for your assistance. I would've never figured it out, and the despair about CUPS is posted in so many places that my puppy searching was leading me nowhere.

All best,
Jake
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Tue 31 Mar 2009, 17:35    Post subject:  

This is good news. CUPS 1.3.9 should be a candidate for the next Puppy 4.2.x.
jakfish

PostPosted: Wed 01 Apr 2009, 12:54    Post subject:  

An addendum: neither CUPS nor downgrading CUPS software will work with 4.1.2 pup_save and bling-free 4.2. At least in my case, I have to use full-version 4.2

Jake
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to: