ChoicePup4.1.2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jrb

#301 Post by jrb »

tlchost wrote:4.1.1 works with Acer 5100 and Dell Dimension 5150
4.2.1 retro works with Acer 5100 and Dell Dimension 5150
Busy weekend coming up but I"ll see if I can make some time next week.

I suspect building a 411 version could be pretty easy but I might have a go at 421 too.
Will get you something one way or the other.

Cheers, J

tlchost

#302 Post by tlchost »

jrb wrote:
I suspect building a 411 version could be pretty easy but I might have a go at 421 too.
Will get you something one way or the other.
Thanks so much!

Thom

seaside

SFSdirloader

#303 Post by seaside »

Here is a Pet to load SFS files in directories for Choicepup.

see
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=44601

(I thought I was posting the pet here, but must have hit the wrong button)

trio

#304 Post by trio »

Hi,

I don't use choicepup, but i only want to share small GUI that I made - Pet Maker v07 that now can create sfs also (click on my signature) .... for beginners anyway. To change .pet to sfs..you need to extract .pet to directory first ... by renaming the .pet to xxx.pet.tar.gz, click on it, then extract it to /root/my-documents ... open the pet maker, click SFS, type in the directory name, and click create SFS. Just try, maybe you can give feedbacks to me.

Regards,

trio

jrb

#305 Post by jrb »

seaside wrote:Here is a Pet to load SFS files in directories for Choicepup.
Well done seaside. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, I've been too busy remastering ChoicePup-min. One of the additions I have made is to able to right click on a folder and load all the .sfs files in it.

I'll have a look at your .pet and if its not incompatible with what I've done I'll include it too.

Thanks, J

jrb

#306 Post by jrb »

trio wrote:i only want to share small GUI that I made - Pet Maker v07
I'll be glad to try out your .pet trio. Can you post a link to it?

ChoicePup has an .sfs maker built in. You can right click on folder, choose OpenWith-dir2sfs_launch and it will create an .sfs from that folder.

You should give ChoicePup a try. I have a ch-pwidgets-2.0.8.sfs set up which runs quite nicely but I haven't used it for more than the basics, pupversion, clock, calendar, pupspace and weather. Will play with the other features one of these days soon I hope.

Cheers, J

Edit: Thanks trio for not pointing out my lack of observatory powers. Just noticed the link to PetMaker in your signature line.
Last edited by jrb on Fri 17 Jul 2009, 03:10, edited 1 time in total.

seaside

#307 Post by seaside »

jrb wrote:
seaside wrote:Here is a Pet to load SFS files in directories for Choicepup.
One of the additions I have made is to able to right click on a folder and load all the .sfs files in it.

Thanks, J
JRB,

Great move, after thinking about this, it seems better to have all SFS file activities as a Rox "right-click" item with options to load a single file, a directory, make an SFS from a directory and perhaps even convert a Pet to an SFS.

Good stuff. :D

jrb

#308 Post by jrb »

seaside wrote:it seems better to have all SFS file activities as a Rox "right-click" item
Too late seaside. I've already incorporated your .pet. So now there are two ways to load a folder of .sfs's. :D

Actually your scripts and mine were virtually identical but I really liked your GUI so I put it in. I used my load_sfs_boot instead of your SFSloader. The two are identical other than that mine adds a link in /root/my_links/loaded_sfs/ each time it loads an sfs. I also added two lines at the bottom of sfsdirloader to start pwidgets it that happens to be one of the sfs loaded.

Nice work. I plan on taking a closer look at your Xdialog script to see what I can learn as soon as I finish this makeover of ChoicePup. Just the documentation updates left to do. Then I promised tlchost a 411 version.

Thanks again, J

seaside

#309 Post by seaside »

jrb wrote:

The two are identical......
How odd? :D :D

I was just about to post an addition of a right-click sfs loader for Rox, before I saw your post.

After testing it with 26 sfs files, I thought it might be better to have a message to mention that the SFS files are loading.

Attached is a Pet with the additional message and it appears
in the "open with" right-click menu.

(Before you're finished. ChoicePup will open SFS files from anywhere in the universe) :D

Thanks for all your clever and concise work.
Attachments
sfsdirloaderRox.pet
Add SFSdirloader to Rox right-click menu
(2.62 KiB) Downloaded 447 times

trio

#310 Post by trio »

jrb wrote:
trio wrote:i only want to share small GUI that I made - Pet Maker v07
I'll be glad to try out your .pet trio. Can you post a link to it?

ChoicePup has an .sfs maker built in. You can right click on folder, choose OpenWith-dir2sfs_launch and it will create an .sfs from that folder.

You should give ChoicePup a try. I have a ch-pwidgets-2.0.8.sfs set up which runs quite nicely but I haven't used it for more than the basics, pupversion, clock, calendar, pupspace and weather. Will play with the other features one of these days soon I hope.

Cheers, J

Edit: Thanks trio for not pointing out my lack of observatory powers. Just noticed the link to PetMaker in your signature line.
Yes, jrb

actually it's good you have a right click option for creating sfs from a folder, but with pet maker GUI, you can easily add files and/or directories to the target directory in /root/my-documents...

fyi, i am thinking to incorporate new features such as converting pet2sfs and sfs2pet. In short, this is only a simplified way for beginners to make pets and sfs' without having to go through command lines.....

EDIT: PET TO SFS FUNCTION ADDED Should be functional for choicepup users

Regards,

trio
Last edited by trio on Sat 18 Jul 2009, 00:58, edited 1 time in total.

seaside

Edit-SFSRox

#311 Post by seaside »

I'm probably taking the Rox "right-click-to-do-anything" concept too far, but here's another one.

Edit-SFSRox is a modified version of Pizzasgood's Edit-sfs script (unlike myself, someone who actually knows what they are doing) :D

Easily edit an SFS file by a Rox right-click, and choose "open with"

There may be some problems with large sfs files and memory - see

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 2&start=15
Attachments
Edit-SFSRox.pet
Edit-SFSRox (right-click to edit SFS files)
(1.67 KiB) Downloaded 491 times

trio

#312 Post by trio »

I updated again Pet Maker
(click on my signature) to version 1.0, hopefully it is a final version. I was too tired when I post it, so please anybody help test and report if all functions behaves correctly, and report the result in the thread.
I will be much obliged. I post this here, cuz I think Choicepup users, will be the proper target users for Pet Maker.

Thanks

jrb

#313 Post by jrb »

I have uploaded choicepup-4.1.2minV2-k2.6.25.16.iso. There is also a backuphere. :D

MinV2 can:
1) load an entire folder of .sfs's, all at the same time from the right click menu or seaside"s GUI on the Utility menu.
2) Keep track of which .sfs's are loaded in /root/my_links/loaded_sfs (on the desktop) so you can unload them easily when done with them (except with Barry's bootmanager)
3) Has improved fonts and local file performance with Netsurf
4) If you are using frugal or usb it will load .sfs's at boot with no pup_save. Just place your chosen .sfs files in /sfs_boot_files/ on the drive where your puppy files are and they will be loaded at boot with or without a pup_save

Just a reminder, MinV2 is a barebones puppy. Most of the ch-.sfs files will run in ChoicePup-minimal without loading dependencies, there are exceptions however. Most dependencies are contained in ch-min-boost.sfs. Unless you are severly ram (computer memory) challenged you should load this package.

I will edit Page1 of the thread later today, probably this evening.

Enjoy, J

jrb

#314 Post by jrb »

tlchost,
I have also uploaded a 411 version, choicepup-4.1.1minV2-k2.6.25.16.iso. Hopefully this will boot up your ACER 5100 Laptop.

Oddly enough it will not boot my main computer, Shuttle S51G. Neither will the stock Puppy411. It took me a while to figure the problem was with 411 and not with ChoicePup.

I finally dragged out a backup computer and it worked fine there. Have tried it on two others as well and runs on them too.

Let me know how it works.

Cheers, J

tlchost

#315 Post by tlchost »

jrb wrote:tlchost,
I have also uploaded a 411 version. Hopefully this will boot up your ACER 5100 Laptop.
Doesn't work....and I checked.....the 4.1.1 stock puppy also fails.
It looks like the 4.1.1 retro boots the Acer....but I have yet to determine if it can be remastered. MU's NYP is 4.1.1 based...and he has never gotten it to be able to save once it is remastered.

I found that 4.2.1 retro works.....boots the Acer, and you can remaster it and it saves.

There are several other folks who have Acers and other laptops that have similar problems.

If you ever make a 4.2.1 retro version, I'd be thrilled.

Really appreciate all the work you've put into ChoicePup.

Thom

seaside

ChoicePup minV2

#316 Post by seaside »

JRB,

It's simply superb...

Very nice polishing of many bits and pieces and some great added functionality.

It's a real "have it your way" Pup..

(Darn, now I'll have to change the SFSdirload program to include a "loading" message and the script changes) :D :D

Great work, as usual...

gawth_slacker

Wow, I think this is a great idea!

#317 Post by gawth_slacker »

I was just posting in suggestions area of puppy forum about a puppy linux that is pretty bare of anything except the file manager (preferably PCmanFM), and a package manager like synaptic (which gives more options for upgrading and dependencies).

I am downloading ...hold on..LOL, was downloading Choice pup with a few .sfs files, but now it is done...love small downloads! I am going to try it out and see how it works out. I do have a suggestion...if this works like it reads, hows about some choice pups for different windowmanagers than JWM ? I am partial to Fluxbox, windowmaker, or openbox myself, but do not really know how to boot into it automatically from a remastered cd. I am currently using FluxPup with puppy 4.1.2 now but am looking to try and learn to make my own with the latest 4.2.1 version of puppy.

Anyway, any suggestions are more than welcome as long as they are constructive LOL. Going to try ChoicePup out now.

gawth_slacker

Not working correctly

#318 Post by gawth_slacker »

When I load ChoicePup and the options to use a previously saved pupsave file I choose zero "0" but it comes up with my fluxbox set up from an old previously saved session that I dont use anymore with my background and menu settings. I tried to locate it but could not find it anywhere. Any idea how this is happening?

jrb

#319 Post by jrb »

Pulled for revisions
Last edited by jrb on Mon 20 Jul 2009, 18:30, edited 1 time in total.

jrb

#320 Post by jrb »

seaside,
Glad you like it. :D Am looking forward to trying out your other .pets later today.

Cheers, J