How to update from 4.1.2 to 4.2 including filesystem upgrade

Booting, installing, newbie
Gebbly

How to update from 4.1.2 to 4.2 including filesystem upgrade

#1 Post by Gebbly »

Hi All,
I have spent some time getting my head around linux in general and the last week getting a frugal hdd install of puppy 4.1.2 (using an ext3 partition). I was keeping an eye on 4.2 with interest because after doing my homework I was keen to use the xfs filesystem.

Now I would like to upgrade to 4.2 but switch from the ext3 filesystem to xfs. I had assumed I would be able to place the ISO on a usb stick as before and boot up into ram. Then use the usb boot to format the hdd puppy partition and go through the entire install process again but this time setting the xfs filesystem.

However I cannot delete the hdd puppy partition. I think it is because when the usb puppy installation booted up it searched for, found and opened my pup_save file on my hdd.

How can I get the usb puppy to boot up without using the pup_save file on the 4.1.2 partition?
Or is there a better way of switching to xfs and upgrading to 4.2?
(I have already read about the simple copying of 4 files but that wouldnt alter the filesystem)
Last edited by Gebbly on Mon 30 Mar 2009, 13:16, edited 1 time in total.

Gebbly

#2 Post by Gebbly »

A little more info, if I try to unmount the drive in question (sda3) I get a red pop up window warning me that:
"/dev/sda3 mounted on /initrd/mnt/dev_save is in use by puppy. You cannot unmount it."
As far as my limited knowledge goes I think it is using this file because details like whether to use xorg etc which were menu options at bootup previously now seem automatic.

Gebbly

#3 Post by Gebbly »

Ok, so I have copied the relevant files across to upgrade from 4.1.2 to 4.2 and also renamed a couple of folders and updated the menu.lst in grub. The system boots into 4.2 happily now. So I just need to figure out how to change the filesystem from ext3 to xfs. If this requires a fresh install then I am happy to do so but not sure if I can due to the previously mentioned problem of a mount being locked as a system file is in use.

Gebbly

#4 Post by Gebbly »

Just in case anyone was having the same issues I think I have found a way around the problem.

First I logged into my windows partition and installed MBRFix as described at:
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/hermanz ... MbrFix.exe

After running the command as described the MBR was reset to boot straight into windows. This meant there was no longer any danger of losing MBR if the linux partition was removed.

I could then log in to windows and use its partition management to completely delete the linux partition which windows only sees as (unknown).

This then puts me back at square one where I can make a completely fresh install of puppy.

jiohdi

reg. updating

#5 Post by jiohdi »

couldn't you also just use any other than puppy live linux cd to go in and erase the .sfs or .sf2 files and then gpart the disk?