Puppy 4.2 "Deep Thought" - Official Patches & Updates

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
puppyluvr

#31 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
Been using the new JWM for a few weeks, and it works good, but not perfect..I`ve had the menu freeze twice, but I`m using xcompmgr so...

I rather error on the side of patience.
How much testing is enough, if it were say, a medicine for your child...
Puppy is our Baby, after all, and we don`t want to make it sick... :D

ttuuxxx

#32 Post by ttuuxxx »

puppyluvr wrote::D Hello,
Been using the new JWM for a few weeks, and it works good, but not perfect..I`ve had the menu freeze twice, but I`m using xcompmgr so...

I rather error on the side of patience.
How much testing is enough, if it were say, a medicine for your child...
Puppy is our Baby, after all, and we don`t want to make it sick... :D
You probably hit the nail on the head with that statement " I`m using xcompmgr" Thats the difference between myself using it everyday for about 2 months without xcompmgr and you using it, Could you report your findings to the patriots JWM thread so they might look into it, since its a bug. Also when the menu froze did you have to restart your pc, or were you able to get out of it via command line?
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

SouthPaws

4.2 Broadcom Wireless

#33 Post by SouthPaws »

rerwin

burniso2cd verify correction from puppy 4.3.1

#34 Post by rerwin »

This correction is part of puppy 4.3.1 and is retrofitted for puppys 4.1.2 and 4.2.1. The correction eliminates bad verifies due to starting of verification before the optical drive is ready. Beware that nothing will appear to be happening for perhaps a half minute, then the drive light will indicate reading of the disk. The attached package is for Puppys based on 4.2.1 only.
Attachments
burniso2cd_for_P4.2.1-1.pet
Retrofitted correction to the Verify portion, to delay verification until the drive
has had time to become ready.
(2.72 KiB) Downloaded 473 times

rerwin

Fix for erratic module-loading preference function

#35 Post by rerwin »

WhoDo, et al,
Reports of unreliable handling of module preferences, as given in the BootManager Preference option, probably resulted from a bug in the pup_event_backend_modprobe script, which is responsible for the loading of appropriate hardware driver modules. The attached package, pup_event_backend_modprobe_fix_to_p41x_42x-1.pet, resolves that bug. It should be installed by anyone experiencing a problem with preferred modules not loading (e.g., atl1e instead of atl1c).
Richard
Attachments
pup_event_backend_modprobe_bugfix_to_p41x_42x-1.pet
Installable on any Puppy 4.1.x and 4.2.x.
(3.35 KiB) Downloaded 437 times

WhoDo

Re: Fix for erratic module-loading preference function

#36 Post by WhoDo »

rerwin wrote:WhoDo, et al,...
Thanks for your ongoing support of Deep Thought, Richard. It's usually easier for some people to patch problems with available dotpets than to update their version and start over, perhaps missing some much needed feature or other, so ongoing support is always highly valued. Thanks again!
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com