libretto pup?

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jakfish

#16 Post by jakfish »

Now that I think about it--using the pcmcia slot for cf takes away the wireless card option. Hmmm. There used to be a cf/wireless combo card, but don't know if that would run in Puppy.

Jake

Libretto100ct

#17 Post by Libretto100ct »

The CF adapter fits in your existing 2.5" HDD slot. You put the adapter in the slot and the CF inside the adapter.

jakfish

#18 Post by jakfish »

Ah. I wasn't aware that was a possibility. Can you recommend a certain brandd/model number that you like?

Jake

Libretto100ct

#19 Post by Libretto100ct »

This is an example. I just buy whatever generic ones that are the cheapest. You have to file or sand down the solder as the pins stick out some but it's not labor intensive to get it to fit in the Librettos. Just a little added extra work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-5-LAPTOP-CF-Compa ... 1|294%3A50

If the link doesn't post properly, just go to eBay and put in something like "CF Laptop HDD adapter" and a couple thousand choices will pop up. they all work the same. Just pick the cheapest price and shipping. the one I listed is $3.65 with free shipping. I've ordered such things from Hong Kong many times now and they all work fine. The wait however is always around 3+ weeks or more to arrive. I'm patient though to save $$$.

Libretto100ct

#20 Post by Libretto100ct »

Here's an example of one in a libretto 100 series:

http://www.librettoworld.com/libretto-m ... -libretto/

The ones I have don't seem as wide as those shown in the pic, but online pics can be deceiving to their true demensions.

jakfish

#21 Post by jakfish »

I need to spend more time on ebay. This is very cool. So you've done this? I can only assume that the battery life must be significantly improved. Did you go for a high-speed card?

Many thanks for the enlightenment,
Jake

Libretto100ct

#22 Post by Libretto100ct »

I've done it on the 100 series, but not the 50/70 yet. Yes it really speeds things up. I haven't a high speed card. Batt time is double plus depending on what is running.

nofus

#23 Post by nofus »

I'm thrilled to see that here are more libretto owners and lovers out there.

This topic seems veryusefull to me. I'll post it on my Toshiba Libretto dedicated website: http://www.librettoworld.com.

Libretto100ct

#24 Post by Libretto100ct »

OK, I'm VERY late in posting. I will have Libretto Puppy up in a few days. Weddings, Funerals, kids out of school, illness, work, buying a Blackberry & Aspire One D250, got me side tracked from finishing the Libretto project.

I've decided to put the Libretto 50/70 version up and going to skip the Libretto 100/110 because 4.0 - 4.1.2 Retro work best with minor setting up for video, sound and pcmcia which covers usb/wireless/ethernet use.

I'll detail below.

biltho

libretto pup

#25 Post by biltho »

hey, Any update on this? It would be great to dust off my 70ct :D Thanks, biltho

lothos

Keep coming back to this

#26 Post by lothos »

I've been researching this for days, and I keep coming back to this article. Would be a great time saver if you could post what you got so far.

16 mb libretto 50ct overclocked via pin lifting, with a bad hard disk.

My goal was to rebuild my dead libretto as an educational toy for my toddler. (and keep him off my laptop)

It's been in a box for years, but looks like both batteries still hold a decent charge.
I did the loosen the case screws trick and popped in a full height circa 1999 hard disk temporarily. Low and behold my scrap disk had red hat on it, which booted just fine. Went through my mental list of 10 year old root password, ran Xconfigurator, and startx. Again.. no issues. No sound, no network, but X was actually quite snappy. Plenty fast for what I was envisioning.

Turns out that making a libretto solid state is dirt cheap now.
Kingston 8gig CF $25
2.5in 44 pin IDE adapter $5.
Free shipping from Amazon. Not here yet.
From what I've gathered across the forums, this will give you 30-50% more battery life and about 3-10 times faster disk.
I'm also hoping that having my swap on solid state will partially make up for my 16mb ram problem.

Also dug up an old SMC wireless card too, but that probably won't be used beyond setup.

At this point the plan was to write my own simple flashcard app perhaps in perl/tk, but again.. found someone already did this for me open source, in python:
http://www.schoolsplay.org/

So... now I'm almost there. Your work on the libretto puplet would be a big step in the right direction.

Thank you.

jakfish

#27 Post by jakfish »

Hi, lothos,

I have a 70ct (no overclocking) and want to do exactly what you're doing. Could you keep us posted on your adventures? Had no idea the cf/adapter stuff was so cheap.

Good luck and can't wait to hear about it,
Jake

lothos

#28 Post by lothos »

My CF adapter is bouncing around the country due to a postal error. It was 20 miles from my house at one point, now it's about 1000. I've ordered many things from Amazon. First time something screwy like this happened.

I'm still hoping that Libretto100ct comes back to this forum some time soon so I don't have to duplicate what sounded like a lot of work on his part.

mclien

#29 Post by mclien »

Maybe it's just because I'm not a native english speaker, but I can't figure out the progress from Libretto 100's last post.
Is there a 50/70 Version up anywhere to test?

jakfish

#30 Post by jakfish »

Libretto100ct--

From enforcecity (I buy a lot of cheap stuff from them), I just purchased a cf-hdd adapter.

Any news on a release of your 50ct-70ct Puppy ISO?

I'd love to try this out,
Jake

mclien

#31 Post by mclien »

Me to!
(even if you just dump a tar of your last version used...)
It's actually for my daughter, who is writing her first sory/ novel and wants to use the time during her way to school by underground..

My 100ct is an advanced alarmclock by now (have to use tis instead of the 50ct, because the later is hypernating for heat reasons when doing ogg Playback).
Used the wonderful Eisfair distro for that...

jakfish

#32 Post by jakfish »

I was able to install the hd-to-cf adapter and can now run Windows 95B from a 1 gb cf card (a high-speed cf card is still enroute).

It's an amazing transition: a 35-second cold boot, much better battery life, and very fast app-opening. Not to mention the blessed silence.

Some caveats: know your fdisk stuff. I did not, and my learning curve was steep. You have to partition the cf along with making a 50mb logical extension partition for the hibernation (still can't find a good link on the web for step-by-step instruction). You'll also need a copy of DOS 6.* since the cf needs a basic OS installed on it.

Secondly, Windows-wise, I could not get a hd clone made from the famous xxcopy.com to work on the cf. The only thing that worked was a *.gho image made from Ghost.

If you're using a fresh install of Windows, partition, etc., then, from another computer, copy the c:/win9* directory of cab files, and install via floppy Windows 9* Startup disk. I could not get Windows 95 to install via setup.exe in the c:/win95 directory.

Given the Libby 70ct's 32 mb/P1-133 limitations, I recommend Windows 95B. MS Word 97 sails on it and the free Off By One browser does the job (like Lynx on steroids). Orinoco Classic wifi card works nice, as does the legendary Netgear MA401.

Having shelved my Libby years ago, I find myself using it a great deal this week.

This is, of course, all band-aid stuff as we wait anxiously for a Libby-Puppy iso release :)

Jake

Puppyt

#33 Post by Puppyt »

Libby-puppy Come Home (?)

Would love to hear how/if things are progressing...

cwmdu

libretto 70ct

#34 Post by cwmdu »

I have puppy 3 running OK on 32MB 70ct 10GB disk full install. I partitioned disk to avoid hibernation sectors around 8.4GB. I had trouble with LILO and GRUB trying to load removed operating systems. This was resolved with win98SE fdisk /mbr.
DSL instals OK and is faster than puppy, it also works with MA401 WIFI card and PCMCIA adaptor + CF memory. I prefer puppy but can't get MA401 WIFI or orinoco silver WIFI or PCMCIA+CF memory to work.

I put the disk drive in another system as the only hard drive and installed from livecd.

I tried loading Orinoco CS module but puppy cannot find active interface.

I also tried poppy 2.15ce and pcmcia did not work on that either.

The libretto would not originally boot up, I solved this by removing the battery. The battery is now empty as in all cells connector and electronics removed, It boot up OK like this. Since then I found a spare battery at a car boot sale which holds some charge.

To anyone who says fit more memory, its already maxed out. Are there any hacks to increase memory?

Can anyone help with the PCMCIA issues?

cthisbear

#35 Post by cthisbear »

cwmdu:

I see that you have been here.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=40512

:::::::::

Fat Free or Classic Pup 2.14X.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... 41271.html

Take care:

http://www.fixup.net/tips/l70200.htm

Chris.