No Help for Dillo or Help

Please post any bugs you have found
kethd

No Help for Dillo or Help

#1 Post by kethd »

As a newbie, clicking on Help on the Puppy 1.0.6 desktop, as things launch, something flashes called DILLO, and then I get an internal master Puppy Help webpage. Which is fine...

But although it offers all kinds of interesting-looking help, it offers nothing to help me use what I am actually looking at! Dillo does not seem to be listed. When I try left-clicking or right-clicking all over the place, I get no relevant options or help. I cannnot find any way to increase the font size, so that my aging eyes might actually easily read the text display. The keyboard shortcuts I am used to do not work (Firefox CTRL-PLUS). I find no way to search for <dillo> to find the help I need.

Is it possible that this browser interface is so stripped down that there are absolutely no options/controls? Seems very unlikely -- I assume that I just don't know the secret yet...

Suggestion:
Please add content to this webpage, in the first screenful, along the lines of "you are viewing this page using the XXXX browser, and some quick tips are XXXX and you can get help for this interface at XXXX".

(Compaq P-233MMX Puppy 1.0.6 HD 26nov05)

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#2 Post by GuestToo »

the browser window displaying the help pages is not actually dillo, it is a stripped down version of Mozilla

if you prefer, you can use Mozilla or Firefox or Opera to display the help pages ... just paste file:///usr/share/doc/index.html in the URL Location Bar, and bookmark the page

kethd

#3 Post by kethd »

Is this stripped down version of Mozilla unique to Puppy, or does it have a generic name?
Does it have any user-interface controls, such as ability for user to change size of displayed fonts dynamically?

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#4 Post by GuestToo »

google for gtkmoz and for TestGtkEmbed
it is a small, light html viewer intended to be used for embedded applications ... i think Puppy uses it mostly because it starts running quickly (more quickly than Mozilla or Firefox would) ... if you want a more powerful and configurable browser, it might be better to use Mozilla or Firefox or Opera or even Dillo to view the help files

J_Rey

#5 Post by J_Rey »

I was confused about this also. I started using "Dillo" (via Help) to surf the Internet when Mozilla wouldn't start (probably from testing too many new things), but then I click to download and it showed the Mozilla download dialog. Barry needs to change this before the final release of 1.0.7. misname = misrepresent

Maybe there's some way to have non local files automatically open in a new Mozilla window....

Dex

#6 Post by Dex »

I somehow have A Link IN my menu to use This "Striped down moz" Dillo web browser. Idk How it got there but i prefer using real Dillo 0.8.5 and i think that should be used for the help files Anyhow.

Alucard_the_dex

#7 Post by Alucard_the_dex »

I just set My Help File to open from the menu in Dillo 0.8.5 using icewms control panel. All you need to do is ad 85 to the end of dillo Simple no? easyer then pie no?
~Puppy Linux~ Where mans best friend becomes PCs best friend