Turbopup Xtreme v1.0 - The fastest dog on Earth

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
synth

#76 Post by synth »

Wowie wrote:OMAGASH!

10 MB less and I'll be able to run this completely in RAM with this relic I found in my garage!
Planned for a future (beta) release :D

ComputerBob

#77 Post by ComputerBob »

synth wrote:2 seconds is more than enough time to press a key on the keyboard and stop the counter.
I'll assume that you're joking about that, since 2 seconds isn't enough time for people who don't already know what to do to read the message on the screen, let alone find and press the F2 key. Besides, the message on the screen says that Puppy will start in 8 seconds.

Ooops, you took too long to read that first paragraph -- Puppy has already started to load. :lol:
[color=red][b]Computer[/b][/color][color=blue][b]Bob[/b][/color].com - Making Geek-Speak Chicâ„¢
News, Views, Information, Software, Help & Fun - Every Day
[url=http://www.computerbob.com][b]ComputerBob.com[/b][/url]

gabe

#78 Post by gabe »

Then how about 3-4 seconds with a corrected message? ;) Compromise?

BTW, I'm looking forward to trying this on my old 48MB ram lug. How can it only take up 15MB ram? Am I reading something wrong, or misinterpreting?

What about with seamonkey running? Does it take over 45?

ComputerBob

#79 Post by ComputerBob »

@gabe
As I stated, 15MB is what it's using after a fresh boot, with nothing running except htop on the desktop. So Seamonkey and other apps will use more RAM.
[color=red][b]Computer[/b][/color][color=blue][b]Bob[/b][/color].com - Making Geek-Speak Chicâ„¢
News, Views, Information, Software, Help & Fun - Every Day
[url=http://www.computerbob.com][b]ComputerBob.com[/b][/url]

Yogi

#80 Post by Yogi »

Hi synth,

Just a request - since Turbopup isn't final yet how about including the streamripper app? Don't know how it got left out of Deep Thought. As long as Streamtuner is there and there is a menu item for recording why not have streamripper. Surely there is room for such a useful app.

Thanks

ttuuxxx

#81 Post by ttuuxxx »

Yogi wrote:Hi synth,

Just a request - since Turbopup isn't final yet how about including the streamripper app? Don't know how it got left out of Deep Thought. As long as Streamtuner is there and there is a menu item for recording why not have streamripper. Surely there is room for such a useful app.

Thanks
No yogi there wasn't room, we were over the 100MB almost all the beta and finals, I did ask zigbert to convert his little download dialog as a replacement, but he didn't bother. But I left all the options there in streamtuner, people asked me to remove the rec button, but I knew others would like to add it on in the future, so I left it alone :)
you can download streamripper addon here, its 328kb
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 54&t=33569
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

synth

#82 Post by synth »

The delay will be increased to 3 seconds for the next alpha.

HINT: You can press ANY key ('p' for example) rapidly to get to the menu :)

I like to set the delay to 1 second for my custom builds (lightning fast)

There are a few things I forgot to add in alpha 3a:

- the cursor scheme defaults to the annoying 'Aero- drop shadow' Ewww! :)

- The Geany tweaks are missing

- Streamripper !

gabe

#83 Post by gabe »

Ooh, well that's what alpha 4 is for (or the other 25 letters of the alphabet... alpha 3b, perhaps?) ;)

Great job so far. This thing is amazing so far. Too bad I wasn't able to get the drive icons working on the first try of enabling them (maybe a reboot will help).

Cheers!

synth

#84 Post by synth »

Here's a WIP screenshot of alpha 4

Turbopup - *the* OS for the GNU generation:

Last edited by synth on Sat 11 Apr 2009, 14:28, edited 7 times in total.

Wowie

#85 Post by Wowie »

that screenshot there, = winsauce

synth

#86 Post by synth »

Wowie wrote:that screenshot there, = winsauce
opened sauce (LOL)

Keef

#87 Post by Keef »

Could you resize the screenshot please. Way too big. No wider than 800 would keep many of us happy. Ta

synth

#88 Post by synth »

No wider than 800 would keep many of us happy.
Done ;)

gabe

#89 Post by gabe »

Wow, that's really nice looking. Has a bit of a Vista-ish touch. I hope all the old themes will still be there in the JWM themes chooser/GTK themes panel.

gabe

BUG

#90 Post by gabe »

Bug report:
JWM Configuration Manager -> "Tray Management"
Any changes made (such as to avoid autohide) result in the error: "New config corrupt. Keeping original"

This is a shame, since I can't configure autohide, virtual desktops, the size of the bar, or anything. :( I'd mark this bug as of very high importance to me.

Also... it's nice that a "Murga forum search is included" in the SeaMonkey build, but if this is to be the OS of choice for any mainstream enthusiast, I don't think it should be the default! How about Google? It's what most people are used to (though of course having other options is awesome).

One last question (perhaps not specific to TurboPup, but ya never know): is there a way to change the size of the tabs bar in SeaMonkey? Its size is unsightly on an 800x480 EeePC display...

I'll let you know if there's anything else amiss (and I'll get back to you about the drive icon issue), but so far so good.

panzerpuppy

Re: BUG

#91 Post by panzerpuppy »

gabe wrote:Bug report:
Any changes made (such as to avoid autohide) result in the error: "New config corrupt. Keeping original"

This is a shame, since I can't configure autohide, virtual desktops, the size of the bar, or anything. :( I'd mark this bug as of very high importance to me.
It works fine here. Looks like something's wrong with your install. This is an *alpha* release,so it's not recommended to upgrade from an earlier version. Always make a fresh pupsave and delete the pup_420turbo.sfs when trying the next build.
Also... it's nice that a "Murga forum search is included" in the SeaMonkey build, but if this is to be the OS of choice for any mainstream enthusiast, I don't think it should be the default! How about Google? It's what most people are used to (though of course having other options is awesome).
Just change the search engine: click on the tent icon and select your favorite engine from the list :)
One last question (perhaps not specific to TurboPup, but ya never know): is there a way to change the size of the tabs bar in SeaMonkey? Its size is unsightly on an 800x480 EeePC display...
ttuuxxx can help you with this one :)

synth

#92 Post by synth »

And don't forget to click this URL before using the "turbo" SeaMonkey ;)

[url]abp://subscribe/?location=http%3A%2F%2Feasylist.adblockplus.org%2Fabp_tracking%2Beasylist.txt&title=EasyPrivacy%2BEasyList[/url]

or if you're on very slow dialup,just open the AdBlock preferences and add this filter:

Code: Select all

*.*
You'll be browsing the net at lightning speeds :) Just try it.

gabe

Re: BUG

#93 Post by gabe »

panzerpuppy wrote:
gabe wrote:Bug report:

It works fine here. Looks like something's wrong with your install. This is an *alpha* release,so it's not recommended to upgrade from an earlier version. Always make a fresh pupsave and delete the pup_420turbo.sfs when trying the next build.
Puppy had never touched this computer before Turbopup alpha 3a. I eventually got it to work by first changing icons with the "Desktop Icons switcher" then changing the JWM theme and changing it back, then restarting JWM. It wouldn't work at first, complaining of corruption, but this is a bug because there was no corruption and some switching of other settings 'fixed' it.
Just change the search engine: click on the tent icon and select your favorite engine from the list :)
I know how to change the search engine; I was just pointing out that the default was strangely chosen, that's all. :)
ttuuxxx can help you with this one :)
Guess I should get in touch! ttuuxxx!!

gabe

#94 Post by gabe »

More bugs?:
- Ptray won't load. How to I get it to appear? I tried to click "Show tray" in the ptray config for the left and right trays, and they didn't appear either.
- Youtube didn't display videos. After disabling noscript for youtube, it did. BUT... full-screen don't seem to work in this version of JWM. Any help?

I really want this to be a perfect distro. Gosh it is so close. I can finally give something to my friends (even those with crappy old hardware) and have them be able to use it, clean and simple.

panzerpuppy

#95 Post by panzerpuppy »

It's nice that a "Murga forum search is included" in the SeaMonkey build.
That's just a link to Google for a site-specific search.

The only 'real' engines included in ttuuxxx's SeaMonkey build are Amazon,Yahoo,Google,eBay,Creative Commons,Ask jeeves and Answers.com

Everything else is Google :)