Turbopup Xtreme v1.0 - The fastest dog on Earth

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Keef

#676 Post by Keef »

sindi

For framebuffer support in Turbopup, I just borrowed the vmlinuz from Akita - the one from pupngo should work also.

Colonel Panic

Re: limitation on usage

#677 Post by Colonel Panic »

labbe5 wrote:Hi,

I got interested about Turbopup for using it with USB flash drive, hoping for a good performance. All USB flash drives i use are not fast, so performance is limited. Therefore, i decided to try this OS of yours : Turbopup.
What i found was a disappointing outdated browser. Everything else works fine, in the true spirit of Puppy, except for my browsing experience.
Maybe you could provide a Service Pack to update the browser. What i learned going on the web with Turbopup is that too much change happened on the web for it to be useful, at least for now, until there is a way to update any browser. Only the most basic sites are available. What i have got was : Sorry your browser is outdated. Please update your brower. Or some items were not available, such as download capabilities. Transmission too was having trouble. All in all, a relatively disappointing experience, for the lack of a good browser, but for apps not dependant on the web, they are usable.
I agree totally, the browser is just not up to it now and that is why sadly I don't feel I can use TurboPup for anything useful, despite my now being in a position when a lean and economical Puppy, such as TurboPup always was, would suit me down to the ground.

I will say one thing; I really liked the IceWM themes which came with TurboPup Extreme (Sand, Odilite etc.). Are they available separately?
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

James C

Re: limitation on usage

#678 Post by James C »

Colonel Panic wrote: I will say one thing; I really liked the IceWM themes which came with TurboPup Extreme (Sand, Odilite etc.). Are they available separately?
Here are the themes from Turbopup Extreme..... Bluemat,BRdelite,Citrus,Odelite and Sand.
Just unzip and place the individual folders in /usr/share/icewm/themes/.

All i did was zip them up but the usual disclaimer applies....your mileage may vary,no warranty expressed or implied and all the other legal mumbo-jumbo. :)
Attachments
icewm_themes.tar.gz
(108.83 KiB) Downloaded 529 times

Colonel Panic

#679 Post by Colonel Panic »

Thanks, I'm downloading them now,

Cheers,

CP .
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Colonel Panic

#680 Post by Colonel Panic »

Just a further thought; installing Opera in TurboPup seems to be a good move. I don't know about later ones but Opera 11 works well in Turbo Extreme (I installed the 11.11 pet) and provides the functionality that you miss when you use Seamonkey with Javascript disabled.

That having been said, I have to say too that for those sites where Seamonkey sans Javascript is viable, I've come to greatly appreciate the fact that pages now load quickly and quietly. It's a reminder of how much junk web designers now see fit to load onto pages.

labbe5

Opera

#681 Post by labbe5 »

Hi,

Thanks for the tips about Opera.
I will try it for my surfing of the web. I tried QTweb, a very small web browser, but it didn't even start. Since i never used Opera, it didn't cross my mind to try it. I read somewhere Opera is still developed with old hardware and software in mind, whereas developers of Firefox do not.
Now Turboextreme will be a complete suite of apps, suited for a slow flashdrive.

Colonel Panic

Re: Opera

#682 Post by Colonel Panic »

labbe5 wrote:Hi,

Thanks for the tips about Opera.
I will try it for my surfing of the web. I tried QTweb, a very small web browser, but it didn't even start. Since i never used Opera, it didn't cross my mind to try it. I read somewhere Opera is still developed with old hardware and software in mind, whereas developers of Firefox do not.
Now Turboextreme will be a complete suite of apps, suited for a slow flashdrive.
You're welcome! Hope it works out for you.

Best,

CP .

Flapdoodle

#683 Post by Flapdoodle »

Perhaps this was already known, but on my Dell D620 an already super fast Tubo was even faster when I remove the HD and booted from the Flash drive.

Because it doesn't bother to search for files even when Puppy is running?

All I had to do was remove one screw and I can pull the HD out with my fingernail. To replace, just push it back in. (all this with the power off of course)

dalmemail

About Turbopup Xtreme v1.0

#684 Post by dalmemail »

Hi! I'm spanish 13 years old and my english isn't perfect.
If you use turbopup xtreme 1.0 with jwm, how many megabytes of ram do you need??
If you use turbopup xtreme 1.0 with icewm how many megabytes of ram do you need???
How many persons are developing this Operating System now?????
I need to know the answer to this questiions.
Thanks.

muggins

#685 Post by muggins »

Hello dalmemail,

your english is fine. From first page of this thread:
Zero CPU overhead and extremely low memory footprint (uses ~10 MB of RAM!)
AFAIK it's not being maintained anymore. But you nay also be interested in these still active projects:

akita
pUPnGO
Lazyux

dalmemail

Turbopup Xtreme 1.0

#686 Post by dalmemail »

If you can give me support i will try to install Turbopup Xtreme on many computer (About 30)
But now it is a project.
Thanks.

dalmemail

Turbopup Xtreme 1.0 Source Code

#687 Post by dalmemail »

Where can i download the Turbopup source code????
And :
Where can i compile it?????
Thanks....

Shep

Re: Turbopup Xtreme 1.0

#688 Post by Shep »

dalmemail wrote:If you can give me support i will try to install Turbopup Xtreme on many computer (About 30)
But now it is a project.
Thanks.
Hi dalmemail. Turbopup Xtreme is a very old pup now. There would be much better puppies available. Why don't you explain what hardware you have, and what software you want to run, and someone might point you to a pup that would be good for your needs. Do you want to run a modern browser?

dalmemail

Turbopup Xtreme 1.0

#689 Post by dalmemail »

But Turbopup Xtreme 1.0 use the 100% of the hardware and with a small changes in my opinion it will can to be an interesting OS for Pentiums I with 16-24 mb of RAM.

Fossil

#690 Post by Fossil »

....can to be an interesting OS for Pentiums 1... with 16-24 mb of RAM....
dalmemail. As much as I applaud your enthusiasm, you will struggle with such specifications. And you have up to 30 of these Pentium 1's? What is the CPU frequency in MHz?

dalmemail

Turbopup Xtreme 1.0

#691 Post by dalmemail »

It depends.....
about 75-150-170 MHZ

Colonel Panic

#692 Post by Colonel Panic »

Dalmemail;

In 2014 that's very old, and you're doing well if you can still use them at all.

I'd say go ahead and use Turbo Extreme on your computers, at least until someone else knows of something better to put on them (I don't).

Best wishes,

CP .

inoxidabile

#693 Post by inoxidabile »

Colonel Panic wrote: In 2014 that's very old, and you're doing well if you can still use them at all.

I'd say go ahead and use Turbo Extreme on your computers, at least until someone else knows of something better to put on them (I don't).

Best wishes,

CP .
Just for say, there is something as example KolibriOS but, to speak frankly, I'm still a Puppy fan ! :)

tommy

#694 Post by tommy »

dalmemail, I never succeeded in booting Puppy in 16MB ram PCs. The only one who booted in 16MB was onebone that is a non-graphical puppy (no X server). If you try onebone, download the 'elinks' version, so you will be able to surf internet with elinks text web browser.

If you want X server, I think the best choice is Barebones 2.01r2: read my posts here and here. To install Puppy without wasting CDs, read here.

Turbopup is my preferred puppy in PCs with at least 128MB ram, I wouldn't use it in your PCs.

If you don't really need 30 PCs, you can pick up some RAM sticks from unneeded PCs and insert it in empty ram slots of another PC (I think pentium I motherboards need Edo Ram 72 pin, they need to be inserted in couples of 2) so to increase Ram to at least 32MB. Be sure to format your hard disc in ext2 and add a swap partition of at least 128MB (I hope you know how to use fdisk).

Kolibri is cute, but not so useful and lacks a real web browser. If you have 2 floppies, try Blueflops instead: a console only Linux distribution featuring 2.6.18 kernel, ethernet and serial modem ppp support, usb pendrive support, GRAPHICAL and text web browser. It can also boot from cd (download and burn the 'eltorito' iso) and hard disk using grub (kernel memdisk ; initrd blueflops-2.0.15.ElTorito-2.88-boot.img - rename it in shorter blueflops.img !).

Good luck! :wink:

Colonel Panic

#695 Post by Colonel Panic »

Yes, or there's Basic Linux, which also runs off 2 floppies or a DOS partition on a hard drive. I remember running it on a Pentium 100, browsing the Web using Opera 5, and Blackbox for the window manager; happy days :).

There are two different versions of Basic, BL2 and BL3;

http://mujweb.cz/basiclinux2/

http://distro.ibiblio.org/baslinux/

I had 32 MB of RAM to run it in though. I don't know how it'd be in 16 MB but it should be OK.

Failing that, you could set it up as a DOS computer, using either MS-DOS or FreeDOS and surf the Web in Arachne. I did that on a 486 (8 MB of RAM) at the start of the noughties.

Or; there used to be a floppy based demo of an operating system called QNX, which was absolutely amazing. It could write using a basic text editor, play a simple game (Tower of Hanoi if I remember rightly), and surf the net using dialup (and post on forums). All from one 1.44 MB floppy.

The only downside it had was that I never found a way to save the settings, so I had to reconfigure the Internet connection on it every time I used it.