Turbopup Xtreme v1.0 - The fastest dog on Earth

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
sindi

Turbopup network wizard not finding cards

#646 Post by sindi »

On my third attempt I transferred the sfs file via a CD (using an older linux).
First - wireless transfer (300KB/sec) produced a corrupted file.
Second - wired transfer (750KB/sec) produced error messages as 29MB.
Third - fixed my 'no hdc' problem with mknod /dev/hdc. I have no idea why the computer lost /dev/hdc in two versions of puppy linux. /dev/hdc does not exist despite dmesg finding hdc. Then bulrned turbopup to CD.

Total memory 60.5MB. Free memory 1.5MB.
I added 96MB swap. Would need full install.

Xvesea 800x600x16 worked perfectly.

The wizard could not find smc, pcnet, or orinoco pcmcia cards nor when I manually inserted the modules (with network wizard or directly with modprobe) did it detect any interfaces. Basiclinux works fine with all the cards. Anyone know the fix for Puppy 4.2?

I spent hours trying to make OSS sound work in Basiclinux. ALSA sound (legacy, cs4232) worked perfectly with Turbopup. I found nothing relevant in /etc/modules.conf (where it says things get appended). Where are the ioport and irq and dma settings stored for legacy cards? [/quote]

sindi

Turbopup network wizard not finding cards

#647 Post by sindi »

This was a uplicate posting. I use lynx because the older versions of graphical browsers won't let me go to specific
pages. (Links browser won't even let me log in). I can't find a way to delete duplicate postings in lynx.
Last edited by sindi on Fri 07 Feb 2014, 14:45, edited 1 time in total.

sindi

Turbopup mostly working now

#648 Post by sindi »

I rebooted and it took 15 min to set up the layered file system. 57MB RAM used of which 37MB is now cache, or 20MB actually used (including by top).

Sound is very stable but was muted. Zmixer fixed that. Alsamixer I think requires an up arrow to increase volume and my up arrow is not working. Or it may be what keeps loading up to 8 copies at a time of Mtpaint.

(In Basiclinux OSS sound stops working after a while with DRQ/IRQ error and I have to unplug power and battery and reboot to get it back).

pccardctl ident cannot find any cards in either pcmcia slot. pccardctl ls shows that both slots have bridges. This keeps it from being a radio.

Lots of people had trouble with pcmcia cards in puppy. I will solve this.

sindi

Puppy 1.07 uses older pcmcia - how to boot it?

#649 Post by sindi »

Puppy 1.07 and 2.17 won't boot for me with loadlin. They can't find their sfs files despite looking in the right partitions. I burned a CD of 1.07 and am using it on another computer with CD boot and it has kernel 2.4 and the older pcmcia setup similar to the one from 1999 that works with my Omnibook.

I attempted to install Smart Boot Manager to the MBR so as to boot the Omnibook from CD. (Usually it installs to floppy disk but I have swappable floppy or cd drives). It requires cwsdpmi.exe. There are instructions for installing to hard drive to be tried earlier in the day.

Any other ideas of how to boot with loadlin or another boot manager?
Maybe they would find their sfs files on the CD?

1.07 (with three dialup modem programs) is supposedly the last puppy to use OSS (which did not work so well in Basiclinux for sound). 1.09 has ALSA sound. Thanks to whoever collected and preserved these older versions.

sindi

Puppy 1.07 works where 4.2 fails pcmcia

#650 Post by sindi »

Puppy 1 and 2 can't find their sfs files with loadlin so I found a way to boot from CD on a computer 1;2c1;2c
that boots only from FD or HD but has a CD-ROM drive, swappable with floppy drive.

I installed "smart boot manager", to the hard drive. Normally I would install to floppy drive but
you can't have floppy and cd in at the same time.

Search on sbminst linux, download smbinst for linux and the tgz package of help files.
Read index.html (or the Czech or Chinese versions if preferred). I put this all in /sbm.

To install to MBR of hda in English with backup.
sbm -t us -d /dev/hda -b sbm-bak.dat

The last part lets you uninstall it from MBR and restore original MBR.
If using lilo, put lilo in hdax not hda.

This computer needs the power plug pulled to behave properly on next boot - otherwise sound does not
work and also boot with sbm fails (isolinux: Disk erro 0c, AX=42C8, drive E0).

Power on, eventually you get a boot menu. Arrow down to CD-ROM, Enter.

Puppy 1.07 booted giving me five choices (including no APCI, no save file).

I chose keyboard and Xvesa, changed from 640 to 480.

With ROX-filer, 60MB RAM used, 34MB cached. Without ROX 59MB used. About 25MB usage, on first boot.
It made a 256MB pup001 in hda1 ? mounted on /root (for saving to). Turbopup used slightly less RAM
after setting up a layered file system. I will experiment with lilo and maybe full install.

Wired network setup wizard worked perfectly.

I found no sound setup. I manually inserted all the modules that had worked in Basiclinux since this
is also OSS sound. It worked.

There are two mixers to adjust this faint sound. With ALSA, sound was by default set to zero but
here it is mid-range. I can use my P54C mplayer after upgrading glibc (with a deb package, to 2.11.3
or at least 2.3.6). Or probably gxine would work but takes more memory and takes longer to start up.

1.07 is the last version with OSS, 1.09 last version with 2.4 kernel (which uses the older pcmcia,
and .o.gz modules instead of .ko). Older pcmcia worked for me in Basiclinux with 2.4 kernel.

No small browser included so I ssh'ed to sdf.org to use lynx.
Had to first rxvt -fg white -bg black to be able to view it properly.

greengeek

Re: Puppy 1.07 works where 4.2 fails pcmcia

#651 Post by greengeek »

sindi wrote: boot from CD on a computer 1;2c1;2c
Hi sindi,, what does the 1;2c1;2c thing mean?

sindi

stray symbols on my 5500CT and misc

#652 Post by sindi »

The 12;c12;c is a strange artifact related to this hardware and lynx and is on the subject line 1;2c1;2c
because I forgot to proofread.

Booting from CD-ROM on a computer that normally boots only from hard drive and maybe floppy drive,
with smart boot manager.

My DELL C400 boots only from hard drive, NIC, or proprietary FD or CD (don't have those) could use a
boot manager for USB boot, but SBM I don't think handles USB boot, as it is from the year 2000.

Misc related to Omnibook 5500CT:

Turbopup up arrow does not work on this keyboard (in X), tho it works with DOS and puppy 1.07
In an rxvt END acted like HOME in 1.07. Strange keyboard with no right Ctrl key.

(In 1.07) I typed Alt-F2 to switch to a real terminal, got a blank screen, and had to pull the plug.
I edited inittab to put # in front of the tty2 line. (The tty1 line is used for booting to X, auto
root login - I should add that to tty2 on other computers to save logging in as root).

A 266Mhz Compaq 335CDS has the same problem. Thinkpad 700e has scrambled colors in the terminal.
Same solution - be sure not to use the terminal.

I may try to simply exit X (can't start without it using SBM/1.07 boot menu) to save CPU because
mplayer online uses close to 50% average of cpu time, and cuts out some (especially when you do
anything else CPU intensive like type in an rxvt). Offline it uses almost no CPU. I investigated
using mpg123 instead (there is a way to use it with wget }) but mpg123 is just a symlink to gxine
which does not work with P54C. (Don't know if mpg123 even works with it).

1.0.7 booted from CD looks for pup100 in /hda1 (main directory) by default. You cannot copy it from
/hda3, it ignores it and makes a new one. You cannot put it in a subdirectory. But you can during
boot tell it which partition to look in. Simpler to use the default and go wash dishes while it
boots (after choosing CD-ROM with sbm). Perhaps SBM will also default to first item on the list
(Ctrl-U to move it up).

I could not get 1.07 to boot with loadlin. It could not find init.
2.10 barebones with lilo would not run without first finding a save file.
Turbo and other puppy 4's have the most boot options - loadlin and lilo both work.

I have not tried grub. It is probably too new to recognize the hardware.

sindi

Up arrow not working in Xvesa on DELL 2200.

#653 Post by sindi »

Xorg works properly, 16-bit 1024x768.

Xvesa works (grey instead of black background) except for up arrow:
(1) jwm menu, does nothing
(2) in rxvt or Seamonkey loads MtPaint - most annoying esp. when I hit several up arrows and have to delete several MtPaints complete with exit menu.

ndiswrapper worked perfectly - it did not in wary 5.5

Very nice speedy OS for 1.4GHz 512MB 2005 laptop.

I copied over the framebuffer console modules from 4.3.1 of the same kernel number and they won't insert - why? Are the correct modules available some place?

greengeek

Re: Up arrow not working in Xvesa on DELL 2200.

#654 Post by greengeek »

sindi wrote:(1) jwm menu, does nothing
Hi sindi - can you expand on this please? Do you mean rightclicking the desktop fails to show the main menu?
(2) in rxvt or Seamonkey loads MtPaint
I would like to try to test this - can you explain a little more please? cheers

sindi

#655 Post by sindi »

greengeek wrote:
sindi wrote:(1) jwm menu, does nothing
Hi sindi - can you expand on this please? Do you mean rightclicking the desktop fails to show the main menu?
(2) in rxvt or Seamonkey loads MtPaint
I would like to try to test this - can you explain a little more please? cheers
The up arrow 'does nothing' in the jwm menu.

Alt-F1 or right click produces menu, but I cannot arrow up within the menu, only down or sideways (to right).
The down, left and right arrows work normally in rxvt, but up arrow loads MtPaint.

Xvesa works even worse on here with Pulp (4.1.2-based). The text in the menu is scrambled.
It worked better with Wary 5.5, I think.

I have up arrow problems in Xvesa on a 1996 computer where Xorg does not work (in Puppy 1.07 I think).
It is not a problem here - I can use Xorg.

Are there fbcon (framebuffer console) modules for Turbopup?

greengeek

#656 Post by greengeek »

sindi wrote:Are there fbcon (framebuffer console) modules for Turbopup?
Sorry I have no idea about framebuffer stuff at all.

sindi

More modules for Turbopup?

#657 Post by sindi »

greengeek wrote:
sindi wrote:Are there fbcon (framebuffer console)
modules for Turbopup?
Sorry I have no idea about framebuffer
stuff at all.
Were modules removed from full 4.20 to make Turbopup? If so I will
look for them there. Something is different about the 4.3.1 modules for
the same kernel - compiled with different gcc? They are not seen.

greengeek

Re: More modules for Turbopup?

#658 Post by greengeek »

sindi wrote:Were modules removed from full 4.20 to make Turbopup
Unfortunately 'synth' is no longer around for us to ask him how he built Turbopup. However, I have seen various comments in other threads indicating that some drivers / modules seemed to disappear between pup 4.12 and pup 4.20 so it is possible that the missing items had been left out of 4.20 even before synth started chopping other things out...

Could 4.12 be a suitable source for what you are seeking?

sindi

Re: More modules for Turbopup? (2.6.25.16 kernel)

#659 Post by sindi »

greengeek wrote:
sindi wrote:Were modules removed from full 4.20 to make Turbopup
Unfortunately 'synth' is no longer around for us to ask him how he built Turbopup. However, I have seen various comments in other threads indicating that some drivers / modules seemed to disappear between pup 4.12 and pup 4.20 so it is possible that the missing items had been left out of 4.20 even before synth started chopping other things out...

Could 4.12 be a suitable source for what you are seeking?
I checked download site. 2.6.26.16 kernel was used in 4.1.2 (but retro
4.1.2 and pulp used 2.6.21.7 from 4.0) and in regular 4.2.1 and a
'special' 4.3.1 (whose modules are not recognized here). Pulp did not
have the modules - pizzasgood provided them.

Does someone have regular 4.1.2 or 4.2.1 to check for
/drivers/video/console/fbcon.ko etc.?

Grub lets several puppy 4's with same-named save file share a drive.
Lilo did not. I look forward to comparing turbopup with pulp.

tommy

#660 Post by tommy »

Sindi, I have had the 'up arrow opens mtPaint' issue.
Look here for the solution provided by MikeMT.

As for Orinoco Pcmcia, I use a Orinoco silver Lucent pcmcia in an old Acer 355 notebook using puppy 2.01r2 barebones. I have to do this to initialize it: open a console and
-modprobe i82365 (your notebook might have different pcmcia chip and need different module)
-cardctl reset 0 (if pcmcia is in slot 0, else do a cardctl reset 1)
-cardmgr (to initialise pcmcia)

Then you can iwconfig and dhcpcd your wifi interface.

sindi

Up arrow loads mtpaint fixed; pcmcia not usable here

#661 Post by sindi »

tommy wrote:Sindi, I have had the 'up arrow opens mtPaint' issue.
Look here for the solution provided by MikeMT.
Delete the line about key 111 invoking mtpaint in /root/.jwm/jwm-personal and up arrow works properly!

Xorg uses 53% of 512MB RAM on a 1998 computer, most of it cache but Xvesa still uses less.
As for Orinoco Pcmcia, I use a Orinoco silver Lucent pcmcia in an old Acer 355 notebook using puppy 2.01r2 barebones. I have to do this to initialize it: open a console and
-modprobe i82365 (your notebook might have different pcmcia chip and need different module)
-cardctl reset 0 (if pcmcia is in slot 0, else do a cardctl reset 1)
-cardmgr (to initialise pcmcia)

Then you can iwconfig and dhcpcd your wifi interface.

Pcmcia works properly on the 1998 Omnibook 5500CT in both basiclinux (kernel 2.4.31) and Puppy 1.07 (kernel 2.4.29).
Both have cardctl and cardmgr and OSS sound.

Turbopup's kernel 2.6.25.16 may be too new for this hardware. Turbopup can tell there is a card in the slot but not
identify it. I could insmod i82092 rather than the i82365 (which works in Basiclinux) but there is no cardmgr - what
does Turbopup use instead?

Some time this week the Omnibook stopped working even in Basiclinux with the Orinoco card, which had worked perfectly,
but still works with a 3c589 wired card. (And for a while q and a, w and z, were interchanged - ???).
I will play with your fix in Puppy 1 and Basiclinux.

OSS sound (Puppy 1.07) is usable for a while but will suddenly stop working. Power off and on to fix it.
I have to pull the battery and power plug to fully power off.

I can experiment with ALSA sound in 1.09 or 2. I did not know Puppy 2 still uses cardcttl not pccardctl.

Can you recommend a particularly Puppy 2 version? Ttuuxxx's 2.14 is supposedly most up-to-date.
What kernel version is used in Puppy 2?

Turbopup is probably too new for this hardware. Works fine on something 2 years newer (1998).

tommy

#662 Post by tommy »

sindi wrote:
Delete the line about key 111 invoking mtpaint in /root/.jwm/jwm-personal and up arrow works properly!
I'm glad to read this!! :D
I could insmod i82092 rather than the i82365 (which works in Basiclinux) but there is no cardmgr - what does Turbopup use instead?
I don't know if there is a cardmgr support in Turbopup, sorry! :oops:
What kernel version is used in Puppy 2?
Puppy 2.01 and 2.02 use kernel 2.6.16.7 and use ALSA. BarryK wrote here :
Puppy 2.02 and 2.10 use the same kernel, version 2.6.16.7. Puppy 2.01 and earlier also have a 2.6.16.7 kernel but it is compiled with different configure options so the modules are not compatible. These versions only require one patch, for squashfs. Puppy 2.12 has kernel 2.6.18.1 and has three patches; squashfs, default console loglevel and via shutdown fix.
sindi wrote:
Can you recommend a particularly Puppy 2 version?

This can vary a lot. On older and low ram PCs I use barebones 2.01r2 (find it .
here ) . You can also try full 2.02 or newer 2.13 - 2.16 (this with newer kernel). I also use Turbopup and PuLP. PuLP can boot on 24MB ram and no swap! ttuxxxx 2.14X is up-to-date but needs a lot of ram in my opinion so use it with at least 256 MB ram + swap.
In general I don't use puppy 1.08 and older because they need more RAM to boot than puppy 2.x needs. It is true, however, that once booted, 1.08 is faster in opening programs (maybe cramfs compression is different from sfs?).

If you're happy with old puppy 1.x or 2.x you can find old packages at:
http://dotpups.de

Have fun! :)

sindi

Puppy 2.10 onebone works on Omnibook 5500CT

#663 Post by sindi »

Boot puppy 2.10 (and probably other puppy 2's) with loadlin from fat32

Put the .sfs file in c:\ (root directory - or probably it would work in
ext2 hda2 or hda3 as well - the boot program looks there also on hdc).
Put vmlinuz and initrd.gz any place in c: (ext2).
Get loadlin.exe and put it with these last two and cd there.
Loadlin vmlinuz initrd=initrd.gz root=/dev/ram0 ro

Onebone 2.10 boots to a help file displayed with elinks. There is also
text browser netrik. No X. Lots of modules. It automatically loaded
rsrc_nonstatic and pd6729. Also yenta-socket (I thought that was only
for cardbus which this computer does not have) and irda and parport and
cdrom modules (the CD-ROM drive is not currently inserted because it
swaps with floppy drive).

There is nothing graphical and I don't know what the network setup
wizard would be called.

In Basiclinux orinoco wireless card is no longer recognized but the
3c589 wired card is, and works.
In Puppy 1.07 both cards were working but now only wireless card works,
and the keyboard has gone screwy - a for q, q for a, w and z
interchanged (in both X and terminal), ,./'; and numbers all wrong).
OSS sound works in both of these. 1.07 is the last with OSS.

In Turbopup no cards are recognized at all, with network wizard.
ALSA sound works.

In Puppy 2.10 I only had to
ifconfig eth0 192.168.2.2
route add default gw 192.168.2.1
edit resolv.conf to add
nameserver 8.8.8.8

I then got an error message about a cable and have no signal but maybe
the other end got unplugged.

ifconfig eth1 192.0.2.2
route add default gw 192.0.2.1
ping 8.8.8.8 - works.

I want to use this as an internet radio. I have a working mplayer for
p54c (Pentium I no MMX) with required libraries.

For OSS sound I just insmod a bunch of modules (ad1848, uart401, opl3,
v_midi) ending with cs4232 io=0x0534 irq=5 dma=1 dma2=3

Puppy 1.08 and later use ALSA. ALSA worked here in Turbopup but pcmcia
was broken.

I typed alsaconf
Building card database.....
No pci or pnp card found. Would you like to probe legacy cards....
cs4231 and cs4236 selected (for cs4232 in OSS)
'No legacy cards found'.

Can I tell ALSA manually what module to use and with what parameters
or must I edit configuration files?

Sound worked in 1.07 and 4.2.

I can examine how Turbopup set up ALSA sound and copy that, or check
Pulp (4.1.2) to see if sound already works and pcmcia still works.

2.10 loaded the framebuffer modules for me without me asking, and also
made four extra real terminals with password Enter key. Lovely.
I would prefer some Puppy 2 on here.

Thanks for all the support. This forum is great!

greengeek

Re: Puppy 2.10 onebone works on Omnibook 5500CT

#664 Post by greengeek »

sindi wrote:In Turbopup no cards are recognized at all, with network wizard.
That seems surprising - I have found Turbopup quite good with my pcmcia cards. Do you get the same problem if you boot with the pcmcia cards inserted, as when you push them in AFTER boot?

I think some of the background autodetection daemons (dont know what else to call them...) are turned off in Turbopup.

Also - do you have any control in the bios for pcmcia type? I find I have to change the setting for different puppies (especially have to turn off 'auto' sometimes and set to 'pccard / 16 bit' - can't remember what the third choice was...)

sindi

Re: Puppy 2.10 onebone works on Omnibook 5500CT

#665 Post by sindi »

greengeek wrote:
sindi wrote:In Turbopup no cards are recognized at all, with network wizard.
That seems surprising - I have found Turbopup quite good with my pcmcia cards. Do you get the same problem if you boot
with the pcmcia cards inserted, as when you push them in AFTER boot?

I think some of the background autodetection daemons (dont know what else to call them...) are turned off in Turbopup.

Also - do you have any control in the bios for pcmcia type? I find I have to change the setting for different puppies
(especially have to turn off 'auto' sometimes and set to 'pccard / 16 bit' - can't remember what the third choice
was...)
I have been leaving in both wired (3c589) and wireless (orinoco) cards all the time now.
Something went wrong recently with pcmcia (it works in less linuxes) and keyboard (in puppy 1)
and with the 3c589 card, which no longer connects - dongle may have broken again.

Basiclinux used to detect both but now detects only the wired car and won't connect with either.

(I can test with an aironet wireless card, and a pcnet wired card).

Puppy 2 detects both cards and connects wirelessly, without inserting either of the i82* pcmcia modules.

Turbopup has never detected either card. Maybe the turbopup kernel is too new and turbopup does not have the correct
modules?

The setting pccard/16 bit is I think for early cardbus computers (about 233MHz) - not this one.

Pulp would not mount -o loop for me on that computer - could it be the hardware too?
I will try to transfer it via a working wired card (easier than burning a CD and reinstalling SBM).