Turbopup Xtreme v1.0 - The fastest dog on Earth

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Cust0dian

Re: howto use acpi=off in frugal installation

#571 Post by Cust0dian »

oui wrote:Hi
the start with "noacpi" in menu.lst from grub seems not to be really helpful

but the start from CD with the parameter acpi=off seems to work properly.

what are the different ways to turn acpi off in Turbopup?
Hi, oui.
Have you tried using acpi=off instead of noacpi in your menu.lst kernel line?

synth

#572 Post by synth »

Turbopup Xtreme v1.0 (ISO and supporting files) re-uploaded to Sendspace.

New links:

Turbopup Xtreme v1.0 ISO
http://www.sendspace.com/file/6nmy5c (99.5 MB)

MD5SUM file
http://www.sendspace.com/file/ofv3l6

Readme HTML file
http://www.sendspace.com/file/qxqlln

synth

#573 Post by synth »

[EDIT] Updated the original post with the new links.

technosaurus

#574 Post by technosaurus »

in order to download I had to change the user agent string in seamonkey's about:config to Firefox 3.6.11 what a pain ... google code will allow less than 100 mb with no bs
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

panzerpuppy

#575 Post by panzerpuppy »

Use Opera. Works like a charm. No need to mess with UA strings :)
Turbopup Tech Support

Cust0dian

#576 Post by Cust0dian »

There is a service called SaveFrom wich lets you download files directly from some hosters out there (full list can be found on main page, under Supported resources on the right) e.g. RapidShare and DailyMotion.

One con is it throws a popup window when clicking Download button so be careful :) Also you can't download multiple files at once.

:arrow: Download links:
Turbopup Xtreme v1.0 ISO via SaveFrom

MD5SUM file via SaveFrom

Readme HTML file via SaveFrom

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#577 Post by Flash »

The site seems legit, though I can't be certain since it's in Russian. I'll leave it for now. Any Russian speakers care to chime in?

Cust0dian

#578 Post by Cust0dian »

Good day, Flash.

I was thinking about how to proof that SaveFrom won't harm you in any way and here's what I can tell:

First of all, let's see Google Trends: yes, it is visited mostly by russians, but it is 2 years old. My opinion is anything illegal will be closed in less than one year, don't you think?

Second, WebmasterCoffee analysis. It is just simple JQ site.

Third, McAfee SiteAdvisor report. Nothing dangerous here.

Is it legal for you to download from this site? Absolutely. You downloading files from SaveFrom.net site, how did they appear there is not your trouble. This could be simple redirecting on the server side, or it can be cache, or it can be magic.

I hope this will bring some light in this off-topic conversation :)

bignono1

#579 Post by bignono1 »

Hi,
Last night i installed Turbopup xtreme v1 (full install).
Loaded and booted ok , BUT:
1.The sound is very low , i first thought it is ALSACONF then went to Mixer but both were ok , the sound is very low i even thought it is not there but when the kids went to sleep i heard some sound.
2. Can not mount any drive , pmount not working but when i run the CD there is no problem .
3. I cant find the trash bin, i did find a file , trash but it is of no good use.
4. If i change the background or the wallpaper it will not be saved for the next session.

P.S. I have read all 39 pages in this thread so please help me.
-----------------------
Please forgive my bad English.

technosaurus

#580 Post by technosaurus »

bignono1 wrote:Hi,
Last night i installed Turbopup xtreme v1 (full install).
Loaded and booted ok , BUT:
1.The sound is very low , i first thought it is ALSACONF then went to Mixer but both were ok , the sound is very low i even thought it is not there but when the kids went to sleep i heard some sound.
there is a pet of mmix in the pupngo thread that would be a good replacement for alsamixer
2. Can not mount any drive , pmount not working but when i run the CD there is no problem .
Can you run pmount from a terminal and report what comes out on the command line
3. I cant find the trash bin, i did find a file , trash but it is of no good use.
Trash is a function or Rox-Filer which is not running by default - Puplite has a mechanism to switch back and forth between Rox mode and jwm only - perhaps it can be made into a pet
4. If i change the background or the wallpaper it will not be saved for the next session.
Sounds like the desktop may be getting set in /root/.jwmrc - How are you changing the wallpaper? (what program, file etc)[/quote]
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

bignono1

#581 Post by bignono1 »

Thanks Techno,
Running pmount from the terminal or from the menu will show the message :Puppy Drive Mounter Please wait probing hardware, thats all nothing more.
I change the w\p from Menu>Desktop> w\p setter.
Thank you again.
-----------------------
Please forgive my bad English.

acrocosm

#582 Post by acrocosm »

May I suggest dmenu as a tiny super fast app launcher? It would make an excellent compliment on this pupplet. Auto run it on startup with -i for convenience for noobs and veterans alike. I really hate case difference handling in linux '_'

Also why did you set double click??? It's slowing it down, plus it adds strain to your finger! It should have never existed on the first place, damn MS...

technosaurus

#583 Post by technosaurus »

Just speculation because I am in Wary at the moment....
bignono1 wrote:I change the w\p from Menu>Desktop> w\p setter.
Thank you again.
I think it uses ROX-Filer's background => needs to be modified/replaced with something that changes the jwm background instead. Here is the reference:
http://joewing.net/programs/jwm/config.shtml#desktops
Pup'ngo has a cli program that does this
Running pmount from the terminal or from the menu will show the message :Puppy Drive Mounter Please wait probing hardware, thats all nothing more.
not sure if this could be due to missing the image manipulation binaries - more recent versions of pmount use my shell code to generate the bar images using only the shell (no external binaries required) ... it may just need an upgrade

technosaurus

#584 Post by technosaurus »

acrocosm wrote:Also why did you set double click??? It's slowing it down, plus it adds strain to your finger! It should have never existed on the first place, damn MS...
Maybe single click only was already patented by Apple(originator of the mouse)? Damn Apple
acrocosm wrote:May I suggest dmenu as a tiny super fast app launcher? It would make an excellent compliment on this pupplet.
Here is a simple script that does a launcher

Code: Select all

#!/bin/ash
for x in `ls /usr/share/applications/*.desktop`; do I=$I"<item>""`grep "^Exec=" $x |cut -d = -f 2`""</item>"; done
export D="<vbox><entry editable="true"><variable>E</variable></entry>
<combobox><variable>C</variable>"$I"</combobox><button ok></button></vbox>"
eval `gtkdialog3 --program=D` && [ "$E" == "" ] && $C || $E

acrocosm

#585 Post by acrocosm »

technosaurus wrote:Here is a simple script that does a launcher

Code: Select all

#!/bin/ash
for x in `ls /usr/share/applications/*.desktop`; do I=$I"<item>""`grep "^Exec=" $x |cut -d = -f 2`""</item>"; done
export D="<vbox><entry editable="true"><variable>E</variable></entry>
<combobox><variable>C</variable>"$I"</combobox><button ok></button></vbox>"
eval `gtkdialog3 --program=D` && [ "$E" == "" ] && $C || $E
ah some interesting stuff you can do. Can you add auto-complete to that, with case indifference and even better, picking adjacent letters from the whole word as long as the order is correct? dmenu doesn't have that last bit but it would be a nice touch. And finally it's important that you don't have to take hands off keyboard looking for the mouse to click or/run

I'll keep dmenu for now but thanx for showing me the possibilities ^_^

MikeMT

up arrow hot key (solved)

#586 Post by MikeMT »

I found the same problem that eeevans616: "It seems mtpaint is hotkeyed to the up arrow on my keyboard . . ," and perhaps nancy reagan's problem. Really is a handicap working in the terminal. Tap the up arrow for a previous command and mtpaint takes a screenshot. Same thing on the bare desktop.

I found this line in /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal <Key keycode="111">exec:mtpaint -s</Key> and deleted it. The change did not take effect with "fixmenus," but it did with a reboot.

Up arrow is now free of mtpaint.

BTW running Turbopup Extreme v1 on a Gateway Solo 2150 451 MHz, 64MB Ram. Turbopup Ex. moves well on this computer. Still trying to get the sound working, but that has been a work in progress through other Puppy versions.

nickec

Single Click

#587 Post by nickec »

Is there a way to change from double click to single click - for the GUI - in Turbopup?

KJ

Rox clicks

#588 Post by KJ »

nickec .... I think what you are looking for is a Rox function. I change a double left click to open function..... to a single left click function this way:

Right click on desktop to open main menu
Open Filesystem .... ROX-Filer
RIGHT click on any icon in home-file window that opened.
Move pointer down to "Options" and click to open "options" section
The second menu item should be "Filer Windows" ... open that.
Under "window behavior" click on "Single-click navigation" to check-mark item.
Then move down to and open the "Pinboard" section ... under the "Pinboard behavior" section click on "Single-click to open" to check-mark item.
(This section may not be active in Turbopup as desktop icons are not displayed but most other Puppies use this for desktop function).

Then click on "OK" to save changes and close window.

Hope this works for you .... KJ

Fishy

Calibre in Turbopup

#589 Post by Fishy »

Trying to get my nephew's dinosaur going for few more weeks. It is an old Pentium 1 (maybe) with 386meg of memory. Is Turbo the puplet to install? Lupu 520 works but is quite slow.

All they need is email for banking etc. calibre and transmission for books and movies. I did a frugal install on my own box to see if I could get calibre running but python and Qt are giving me fits as usual. :lol:

Direction or links to appropriate packages would be appreciated. Suggestions to a different pup for Frankenstein (cobbled out of 3 dead) greatfully accepted :D

Thanks

tommy

#590 Post by tommy »

ehmmm.. I wrote a similar topic on Puparcade forum, but it also applies to Turbopup, since Puparcade is based on Turbopup:
I have several geforce4 agp video cards and have no nvidia-96.43-k2.6.25.16.pet driver.
The sites having it don't exist anymore.
Has someone the nvidia-96.43-k2.6.25.16.pet somewhere?
Many thanks to whoever can post a link to it!! :wink: