Puppy 4.2 "Deep Thought" - Bugs & Fixes

Please post any bugs you have found
Pizzasgood

#241 Post by Pizzasgood »

Getting the SCIM configuration box to show up wasn't the problem. That part would run okay even before I replaced the GTK with the one I compiled in 4.1.2. The problem is that what's supposed to happen once you have SCIM installed and have restarted, is that whenever you launch a SCIM-compatible program (such as Geany), then the SCIM icon will show up in the program tray. Also, once that happens, you're supposed to be able to press the combination CTRL+SPACE, and a sort of mini-toolbar-tray deal will show up in the bottom left that lets you choose which language you want to input, and when you type, it will be functional. Here, I'll take some screenshots to show you.

You'll see two screenshots from 4.1.2, showing the icon that appeared when I opened a Geany, and the tray that appears when I press CTRL+SPACE. The third screenshot is using the SCIM you just provided in 4.2, but using the GTK that I compiled in 4.1.2. When I tried those same pacakges with the GTK that you compiled in 4.2, the icon never appeared, and even if I manually start the SCIM, that tray won't appear when I press CTRL+SPACE.

The behavior with your copy of GTK is exactly like the behavior with the version of GTK that was included in 4.2, which was the one I'd originally compiled several months ago.

Whether I use the SCIM you provided or the older package I originally tested with makes no difference. So the problem is in GTK, not SCIM.

No, we don't need the --debug option. It turns out that it was unnecessary. I gave you the exact same ./configure line that I used when compiling the version of GTK that I compiled in 4.1.2 and showed working in my screenshot.

Something is not right.
Attachments
1.png
4.1.2. You can see the icon that appeared in my tray when I started Geany.
(19.79 KiB) Downloaded 1523 times
2.png
4.1.2. You can see the extra SCIM tray that appeared when I pressed CTRL+SPACE, and
how it let me type hiragana (the exact letters I pressed to type were "tabemono" which were
translated into the hiragana "ta, be, mo, and no")
(24.03 KiB) Downloaded 1467 times
3.png
4.2. This is using ttuuxxx's version of SCIM and my version of GTK (as the one he compiled
will not do this). You can again see the SCIM tray that appeared after opening Geany and
pressing CTRL+SPACE.
(41.39 KiB) Downloaded 1448 times
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#242 Post by Lobster »

this file (did not come up in Seamonkey incidentally) but the Skipstone browser used it:
[url]file:///usr/share/doc/home.htm[/url]

Anyway minor point from using 4.2.1RC
first link
Puppy's Portal Page, the Puppy Web Desktop gives you access to over additional 100 Web Apps, Search Engines, Puppy Links and One-Click installation of the most populare .pet packages
'popular' does not have an e on the end . . .

[spelling mistake found by world class bad spiller . . . eh speller . . .moi . . .] :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

ttuuxxx

#243 Post by ttuuxxx »

Lobster wrote:this file (did not come up in Seamonkey incidentally) but the Skipstone browser used it:
[url]file:///usr/share/doc/home.htm[/url]
works fine in puppies 4.2, you have to post it in a url in seamonkey because of missing mime.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

Master_wrong

#244 Post by Master_wrong »

Ok I just tried it on puppies 4.2 and luckily thats the base I'm using, because I don't have that issue Smile
But 4.2.1 does, so lets narrow down the differences, they both have the abiword update, This one has the recompiled gtk2 and I think that version has a similar patch. This one doesn't have Pwidgets, hmm thats It it must be Pwidgets, better get rid of the quick WhoDo, lol Just kidding guys. Wait a minute I didn't ask which version is he using? the Broken abiword in 4.2 or the fixed version in 4.2.1?

Master Wrong which version of puppy are you using?
ttuuxxx
Hi tuxxx
I just tried the puppy 4.2 without the patch and the result is also error ????

this is the picture
thank you

ttuuxxx

#245 Post by ttuuxxx »

Master_wrong wrote:

Ok I just tried it on puppies 4.2 and luckily thats the base I'm using, because I don't have that issue Smile
But 4.2.1 does, so lets narrow down the differences, they both have the abiword update, This one has the recompiled gtk2 and I think that version has a similar patch. This one doesn't have Pwidgets, hmm thats It it must be Pwidgets, better get rid of the quick WhoDo, lol Just kidding guys. Wait a minute I didn't ask which version is he using? the Broken abiword in 4.2 or the fixed version in 4.2.1?

Master Wrong which version of puppy are you using?
ttuuxxx
Hi tuxxx

i think i know where the bug was...

I just try the fresh abiword without the patch and the result wasss........ ok, no error ????

the patch i was talking about was
abiword-2.6.3-updated.pet

thank you
do you have a pupsave file or something, because if you take 4.2 and add that patch it should work perfectly, Thats what I applied in 4.2 puppies and it works fine, I'm sure 4.2.1 must work also because there's no complaints, so I think you might have some sort of saved settings somewhere. i just can't reproduce the same error using 4.2 and the patch.
ttuuxxx

Master_wrong

#246 Post by Master_wrong »

sorry tuxxx, i edit my post please see the pic, I try the abiword-2.6.3-updated.pet... is it the right patch ?

thank you

Master_wrong

#247 Post by Master_wrong »

UPDATE !!!!

select all and changing font to dejavu sans correct the problem !

janusz0

sound and IBM X30

#248 Post by janusz0 »

In Puppy 4.1.2 sound was ok on my old IBM X30 laptop.
In 4.2 there is a problem. ALSA config seems to detect sound card properly, but I cannot get any sound (only sometimes half of first second of sound can be heard).
What differences between Puppy 4.1.2 and 4.2 sound subsystem could be the reason of this problem?

Master_wrong

#249 Post by Master_wrong »

But 4.2.1 does, so lets narrow down the differences, they both have the abiword update, This one has the recompiled gtk2 and I think that version has a similar patch.
hi Tuxxx,

please check if editing " /root/.AbiSuite/templates/normal.awt " and changing font to

"font-family:DejaVu Sans; "

can solve the problem ? because i solve the problem that way... maybe just some sort of font bug :?

Tui

Wireless cards won't go!

#250 Post by Tui »

I have just put this version of Puppy on a machine for my wife,
and I can't get it to detect the wirless cards that I have got.

One card is a D-Link WDL-G520 and the other a WG 311V3

The WDL-G520 came out of a machine that has Puppy V2.17 and it has been
going ok.

Where do I look for this problem ?

Thanks Tui

jojonouvo

#251 Post by jojonouvo »

Pizzasgood
Getting the SCIM configuration box to show up wasn't the problem. That part would run okay even before I replaced the GTK with the one I compiled in 4.1.2. The problem is that what's supposed to happen once you have SCIM installed and have restarted, is that whenever you launch a SCIM-compatible program (such as Geany), then the SCIM icon will show up in the program tray. Also, once that happens, you're supposed to be able to press the combination CTRL+SPACE, and a sort of mini-toolbar-tray deal will show up in the bottom left that lets you choose which language you want to input, and when you type, it will be functional. Here, I'll take some screenshots to show you.

You'll see two screenshots from 4.1.2, showing the icon that appeared when I opened a Geany, and the tray that appears when I press CTRL+SPACE. The third screenshot is using the SCIM you just provided in 4.2, but using the GTK that I compiled in 4.1.2. When I tried those same pacakges with the GTK that you compiled in 4.2, the icon never appeared, and even if I manually start the SCIM, that tray won't appear when I press CTRL+SPACE.

The behavior with your copy of GTK is exactly like the behavior with the version of GTK that was included in 4.2, which was the one I'd originally compiled several months ago.

Whether I use the SCIM you provided or the older package I originally tested with makes no difference. So the problem is in GTK, not SCIM.

No, we don't need the --debug option. It turns out that it was unnecessary. I gave you the exact same ./configure line that I used when compiling the version of GTK that I compiled in 4.1.2 and showed working in my screenshot.

Something is not right.
Hello, I have the same problem I guess: puppy 4.1 and scim configuration working but nothing is hapening when I launch SCIM-compatible programs. I can't understand what I need to do, changing my version of GTK?

mcewanw

Probably possible to use Tiny Core tce's in Puppy

#252 Post by mcewanw »

Master_wrong wrote:I hate to say this but... more abiword bug...

copying from seamonkey into abiword can create mess if there is table or special character etc.
I wonder if the Tiny Core Linux people are about to face the same difficulties with Abiword. They have just produced their first Abiword official TC extension: http://tinycorelinux.com/forum/index.php?topic=1339.0
It is the newer version 2.6.8 of Abiword.

TC's extensions (dottce's) are, like dotpets, tar.gz archives. I have thus been trying out some Puppy series 4 compilations running under TC, as a (successful) experiment - including Abiword 2.6.3: http://tinycorelinux.com/forum/index.php?topic=1330.0

[I realise that some people frown on inter-mixing parts from different distributions, and there are certainly some technical dangers... but generally I think that the open source movement, more generally, benefits from cross-fertilization].

It might thus be relatively be easy to use the current TC Abiword 2.6.8 with Puppy, except you probably also need to use the associated Abiword-related libraries (also available as dottce extensions in TC). Whether that messy procedure would reveal or fix all the current Puppy Abiword bugs (or help with printing problems) is an unknown matter to me however.

mcewanw

Tiny Core Linux Abiword 2.6.8 DOES read docx files

#253 Post by mcewanw »

I just tried reading a Word docx format file in the new Tiny Core compilation of Abiword version 2.6.8

mcewanw

Abiword fantastic

#254 Post by mcewanw »

I'm afraid I had to edit my previous post. Turns out that the Abiword package provided by TIny Core Linux works really well with Word 2007 docx format, and can save to pdf, LaTeX, and a host of other formats.

I therefore think that Ecomoney has a strong point. It is such a major application (only the web browser being probably more important) that the problems with it should surely have been noticed before any stable Puppy release. Clearly it being released with an unnoticed Abiword problem was a Puppy developer error (and not being able to read docx is a major bug, in this world dominated by Msoft documents - Abiword, properly installed clearly can read such documents).

Having said that, developers are only human, and errors and bugs (even ones that shouldn't have been missed really) do occur. They are all volunteers and enthusiasts and the most important thing is not to damage that enthusiasm by making harsh severe comments. I still think Puppy sometimes sets its sights too high; in terms of its development model, it IS a hobby system, even though it is so good that many users have long adopted it as their main desktop.

I certainly found it completely unacceptable when Ecomoney questioned ttuuxxx's mental health and made references to ttuuxxx's family situation; up until that point I didn't think Ecomoney's concerns were without warrant, but enough certainly was enough.

Yes, it is great that Puppy is SO good that Ecomoney has been able to reliably recommend it to his clients, but... such reliability is not something that Puppy developers can possibly guarantee; even though the chances are that Puppy always will tend towards such stability. If Puppy were not primarily a hobbyist system, then Ecomoney's demands would be reasonable, but it is a hobbyist system, regardless of its high expectations and standards (the same goes for Tiny Core and Slitaz, for example).

I do suggest the Puppy developers take an inside look at Tiny Core's abiword.tce extension and abiword-plugins.tce extension; they are just plain tar.gz archives, much like dotpets. In open source we should all benefit from each other's successes.

ttuuxxx

Re: Abiword fantastic

#255 Post by ttuuxxx »

mcewanw wrote:I'm afraid I had to edit my previous post. Turns out that the Abiword package provided by TIny Core Linux works really well with Word 2007 docx format, and can save to pdf, LaTeX, and a host of other formats.

I therefore think that Ecomoney has a strong point. It is such a major application (only the web browser being probably more important) that the problems with it should surely have been noticed before any stable Puppy release. Clearly it being released with an unnoticed Abiword problem was a Puppy developer error (and not being able to read docx is a major bug, in this world dominated by Msoft documents - Abiword, properly installed clearly can read such documents).

Having said that, developers are only human, and errors and bugs (even ones that shouldn't have been missed really) do occur. They are all volunteers and enthusiasts and the most important thing is not to damage that enthusiasm by making harsh severe comments. I still think Puppy sometimes sets its sights too high; in terms of its development model, it IS a hobby system, even though it is so good that many users have long adopted it as their main desktop.

I certainly found it completely unacceptable when Ecomoney questioned ttuuxxx's mental health and made references to ttuuxxx's family situation; up until that point I didn't think Ecomoney's concerns were without warrant, but enough certainly was enough.
Do you have a link to a tar.gz or pet etc? Or even better the repo, maybe the package manager, I tried looking at the site and well it kind of makes you run desktop appbrowser.
as for the other formats that don't work, I could fix that no problems, plus the deps look fine for puppy. Unlike if you would use Ubuntu or Debian it would be much larger.
ttuuxxx

mcewanw

tinycore repos

#256 Post by mcewanw »

ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dist ... corelinux/

dottce's are just tar.gz archives; that's what you want since you can make them straight into dotpets (as you know).

dottcz's are (I think) loop mountable images of already extracted tce's, in some shape or form; I haven't really looked into them yet.

So, more precisely, this is the link you want:
ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dist ... x/2.x/tce/

Note that there are a couple of text files which give info and list the dependencies required. The latter is why tiny core prefers people to use appbrowser with their distribution since appbrowser automatically brings down the dependencies if you don't already have them installed on your TC system (which is why the ftp download link isn't obvious on their site; stops lots of problems with new people unfamiliar with the system failing to download all the required dependencies manually).
Last edited by mcewanw on Tue 19 May 2009, 05:55, edited 1 time in total.

rhadon

overlapping icons

#257 Post by rhadon »

Hi,
I want to point out that there is still a problem with overlapping icons. Every new drive/partition icon (USB) appears in the lower right corner at the same place (EeePc900 with 1024x600). It's not a drama but annoying e.g. to connect a USB-HD with 7 partitions/icons.
Forum member floborg posted here the same problem about 1 month ago (with 800x600, no response) and forum member mave posted the same in a seperate thread (with 1680x1050).

Sorry if I missed something.

Rolf
Ich verwende "frugal", und das ist gut so. :wink:
Raspberry Pi without Puppy? No, thanks.

Pizzasgood

#258 Post by Pizzasgood »

jojonouvo wrote:Pizzasgood

Something is not right.
Hello, I have the same problem I guess: puppy 4.1 and scim configuration working but nothing is hapening when I launch SCIM-compatible programs. I can't understand what I need to do, changing my version of GTK?
Well, like I said, I have it working in 4.2 using a version of GTK that I compiled in 4.1.2:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 863#298863

The issue we're trying to work out here is why it stops working if we use a GTK compiled in 4.2 rather than 4.1.2. There's nothing wrong with using the GTK I compiled in 4.1.2 in Puppy 4.2.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

jojonouvo

#259 Post by jojonouvo »

trapster

#260 Post by trapster »

Tried to access my router @ 192.168.1.1 and resulted in an "Authorization Request" page. Nothing else. No window to enter name and password.

Rebooted to puppy410 and no problems accessing it.

Is there a setting somewhere I missed in the browser? I found the "java enabled", where's the javascript setting?
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog