OxygenOffice extended openoffice package for puppy linux

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
Kenny-M

#31 Post by Kenny-M »

ttuuxx,

I used to be a strong Unix advocate going back over 30 years. I started using Unix when it was a twinkle in Bell Labs eye running on DEC PDP-11/70 minicomputers. Working with Unix, AIX and HP Unix over the years.

That being said in my opinion this is a disaster. What Puppy version do you have 4.0, 4.1.2, 4.2, 4.2.1. Is it frugal? Is it full? Which one of the several boot managers are you using? Are you using a pet or sfs distribution? Put it in /mnt/home, no put it in /root. Are you downloading from ziidu (apparently an evil place) creates lots of popups and background windows.

Too many versions. Even getting the CUPS application to run with my printer turned out to be an experience.

As much as I dislike Microsoft Windows with its service packs and patches it seems to have a handle on "drivers". After installing Puppy to an external USB hard drive when initially booting Puppy my USB keyboard is useless until the graphic desktop comes up. Very strange.

And to think, once you get it all working with all the applications loaded it may be time to start over to stay current.

I do applaude all your efforts and work, it's great. However after trying to traverse all the message threads pointing to other message threads and WEB sites with broken links and download sites that have not been updated in a year or more I have given up!

Unfortunately my take away is this is not ready for prime time! Maybe not even late night.

I guess I'll be going back to Windows... Maybe I'll try again in another year.

tlchost

#32 Post by tlchost »

ttuuxxx wrote: or use the openoffice 3.1 posted above this post, lol He bet me by 2 seconds, lol
ttuuxxx
I'm using it with no problems in 4.2.1Retro...but from this thread, am I correct in stating that it doesn't open docx files?

The work around suggested seems really kludgy to me.

I found that my windows Portable Open Office running under wine opens a .docx file.

Thom

tlchost

#33 Post by tlchost »

Kenny-M wrote: Unfortunately my take away is this is not ready for prime time! Maybe not even late night.

I guess I'll be going back to Windows... Maybe I'll try again in another year.
Perhaps you are expecting more productivity than Puppy provides. Not being much of a tinkerer, I've always appreciated practicality.

Thom

edoc

#34 Post by edoc »

Is this an update to OxygenOffice or a port of generic OO for Puppy?

Would it be OK to install in Fatdog 112 or should I use the original OxygenOffice?
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

Kenny-M

#35 Post by Kenny-M »

After installing Open Office 3.1 I recieved a message one
time saying "could not find a java runtime environment".

It appears to work from the desktop however when at
the command prompt it does not.

It seems the files for example soffice installed in
/usr/local/bin are linked to
/opt/openoffice.org.2.4/program/soffice which does
not exist when office is really in
/opt/openoffice.org3/program/soffice

Correcting that gets further but results in the message
javaldx "could not find a java runtime environment" coming up.

There appears to be some missing or incorrect references.
Office came from DokuPuppy.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dingo

#36 Post by Dingo »

symlink path was a my mistype, I have corrected and soon I'll upload a fixed version, regard icons and symlink executables path

maybe, I have missed also some symlinks regard java paths, I'll investigate and soon I'll replace link with fixed version
replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

ecomoney

#37 Post by ecomoney »

@ Edoc " Oxygenoffice is basically standard openoffice with extra document templates, clipart, fonts, samples and VBA macros (if you need them). "

This package could really do with a bugfix and an update, please feel free if you have experience with openoffice...its structure is extremely similar.
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

Kenny-M

#38 Post by Kenny-M »

Dingo,

When you upload the bug fix could you post a comment in this message thread so we will be notified?

ecomoney,

Would it be safe to say I can't have both oxy and oo loaded at the same time?

Thanks

ecomoney

#39 Post by ecomoney »

I wouldnt like to say. Certainly it should be possible to have them both installed in separate folders (Open/Oxygen office have their own dedicated directories which make it handy for portability). Actually having them running at the same time may cause some problems.
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Kenny-M

#40 Post by Kenny-M »

Some additional notes.

I installed Open Office 3.1 to my Puppy Full install which
required using sfsinstaller to install it. Puppy & Full installs don't seem to like sfs applications to much where as Puppy & Frugal work fine with sfs applications.

Well now I can't remove it using using the Pet Installer. The entry is there it seems to start getting ready for deleting then return to the Pet installer menu without removing it.

I tested adding and deleting devs_421.sfs via sfsinstaller and Pet Installer to remove it without issue on a Puppy 4.2.1 Full install using sfsinstaller.

So because OO 3.1 has some bugs I am unclear on how to remove it manually?

So in my mind now I am trying to figure the best system to setup?
Either way it will be on an external USB hard drive.

H.D. formatted with a Fat32 partition and a Frugal install.
H.D. formatted with ext2 & swap partitions and a Full install.

Down the road do you think Puppy will continue SFS and PET files?

The only reason I can see for using a frugal install is to get easier implementation of SFS files. PET files appear to load fine under
Frugal and Full installs. Any comments?

Anyway, back to manually removing OO 3.1. Any ideas?

Thanks

DavidEllis2

Possibly odd behavior of the app window?

#41 Post by DavidEllis2 »

I'm running a full install of Puppy 4.2.1 on a rather old and small system but decided to give oxygenoffice a try on it. Downloaded and installed oxygenoffice301_420.sfs. (I had a bit of a problem with sfs not being recognized but sidestepped that by using Pet_Maker to convert and install it as a .pet). It seems to run surprisingly well considering the system is low on RAM. However, I just noticed that the windows all seem to be locked to the upper left corner of the screen and cannot be dragged. They can be resized from the lower right corner but the top and left sides of the windows seem to have no window frame and are glued fast to the edges of the screen. (Windows of other apps on the system behave normally.)

Is this a known behavior; something I should attribute to running in such a small system; or something that might be fixable?

ecomoney

#42 Post by ecomoney »

Hi, there is a little buglet I mentioned in the first post. I think its some conflict with JWM but dont quote me on that. The workaround is to right click the program in the taskbar at the bottom and select "maximize".

Let us know if this worked for you, and also would you post the specs of your PC, I would be interested to know the lower limits of this package.

DavidEllis2

That works

#43 Post by DavidEllis2 »

That works and thanks. (I thought I had posted a reply to this already but it seems to have disappeared.)
also would you post the specs of your PC, I would be interested to know the lower limits of this package.
Del Latitude 510, 128 Mb RAM, 1GHz cpu, large slow disk. It runs reasonably on small files (Word, Excel generated ones were tried). Runs out of RAM, swap space etc. on anything large and soon becomes too slow to be useful. I threw a 15 Mbyte Excel at it and it did eventually load and run but I would not wish to really try and use it on something that big. I did hang up on three large linked database files from Access. Maybe it would have come back - I got tired of waiting.

I just tried putting it onto an even slower system. Generic one 233 MHz and 128 Mb RAM. That was definitely a problem. I got it to install and got the document writer to load but it took too long to do anything with it.

Despite the above comments, its a great suite. Even on the Dell it will be useful as a means of being able to read and make mods to MS-Office files as long as they are not too big.

David E.

ecomoney

#44 Post by ecomoney »

Thanks for the pointers David

musher0

#45 Post by musher0 »

Preliminary note. Before you read on, you must know that Oxygen Office is meant for professional writers and editors. If you only write the occasional letter to your dad or girl/boyfriend or municipal counselor, don't go through all this trouble, Abiword is quite ok for writing shorter documents.

=-=-=-=-=-=

Hello, all.

Just a not-so-quick (!) note to tell you that you can load ecomoney's "OxygenOffice 3.01 sfs" in dpup 482 (and probably all the new Puppy's with the new sfs format [from Puppy 4.3 on]). You simply need to convert it to sfs4 file format with the sfs converter which is included in Puppy 4.3.x or dpup 482. This took about 10 minutes on my computer, but it's well worth it.

Oxygen Office versioning has moved only "half an inch", so, in my opinion, it's not worth downloading the absolutely newest version of Oxygen Office. I found I could use this one (ecomoney's sfs) profitably.

Just to be clear, for newbies:
Once the Ooo sfs is converted, simply copy it to

* your home disk (this means: the disk where your pupsave file resides)
* at the top level (this means: do not put it in any directory).

On next boot, the Oxygen Office sfs will appear automatically; if not, you'll have to activate the sfs loader, and then it'll show the sfs. Sorry for being so obvious: once you see the file in the loader, activate it and reboot.

=-=-=-=-=-=

Once you got Ooo running, you may want -- or need -- to download a language pack if your language is not English. I couldn't find any suitable 3.01 language pack on the OpenOffice site (where are they hiding it?!) :-(, so I downloaded the current 3.1.1 language pack for my language.

I "un-debbed" the language pack archive and then all its parts with xarchiver, and the files went in a "Base3.1.1" directory or similarly named, in /opt. Then, I simply copied the files from this unpacking directory to the /opt/.../Base3.0.1 or similar. And you're good to go. (Sorry, I'm not working in dpup 482 right now, so this is from memory.) I suggest you remove the unpacking directory once you've copied the files.

N.B. This adds +/- 25 Mg to your pupsave file, so make sure there's enough room there before you start un-archiving and copying.

=-=-=-=-=-=

For spelling and thesaurus, you may want to download DicOo (for a great many languages) -- or even for your variant of English (En-US, en-AU, en-CA, etc.) -- and install it. Set the macro security to low -- just for this operation --, load DicOo.svw, choose your language, and follow the instructions. (There's no need for a pet file for DicOo, it's a regular OpenOffice file.)

Edit: Actually, in OOo 3.x you're better off using extensions. See my post here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 52&t=48052

=-=-=-=-=-=

Another useful tool for editing text in Oo or Ooo is LanguageTool. The download site http://www.languagetool.org/ also has installation instructions. You'll need a recent java environment installed in your Puppy and activated in Oo or Ooo (such as java 1.6) to use LanguageTool.

=-=-=-=-=-=

With the above installed, you'll be able to do professional writing and editing in Puppy.

=-=-=-=-=-=

I beg forgiveness from the old hands: for newbies, maybe it's better to be too clear and obvious than obscure and seemingly knowing? :shock:
Maybe I wasn't clear enough myself! :?

=-=-=-=-=-=

Many thanks to ecomoney for making Oxygen Office available as a sfs, and of course, for the filespace to download it from.

BFN
Last edited by musher0 on Wed 11 Nov 2009, 02:45, edited 1 time in total.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

edoc

#46 Post by edoc »

I do not see an obvious, to me, link to OxOf (OxygenOffice) on page 1 of this thread.

What am I missing, please?

Our son is doing a ton of writing for his two online college courses and has requested OpenOffice - but it sounds as though OxOf may be better.

Thanks!
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

musher0

Re: OxygenOffice extended openoffice package for puppy linux

#47 Post by musher0 »

Hello, edoc

They are indeed in the very first post, here:
Sincerely,
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

edoc

Re: OxygenOffice extended openoffice package for puppy linux

#48 Post by edoc »

musher0 wrote:Hello, edoc

They are indeed in the very first post, here:
ecomoney wrote: Mirrors (more Needed)
BigFileHost.com worldwide download mirror
This one keeps requesting that the code be reentered - never gets to the download.
This one produces this error:

Not Found
The requested URL was not found on this server.

Will take another look in the morning ...
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

sikpuppy

#49 Post by sikpuppy »

There's some links to older versions on this page: http://puppylover.netsons.org/dokupuppy ... fice_suite
ASUS A1000, 800Mhz PIII Coppermine!, 192Mb RAM, 10Gb IBM Travelstar HDD, Build date August 2001.

edoc

#50 Post by edoc »

Found it here: http://puppy.cnbits.com/node/974

Simple "Save Link Target As"

BTW: Is OxOf likely to continue to be maintained for Puppy?

Sure would hate to get our son invested in learning it only to have it go stale.

Thanks for the help locating it!
[b]Thanks! David[/b]