Introducing PULP - 125 MB Puplet for older hardware

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
`f00

#151 Post by `f00 »

@ sindi (previous page)

p41x to p431, the major change (offhand, I'd have to look up to be sure) was one of using an updated .sfs (squashfile) format. Naturally they are different (why there are conversion apps or other methods like dir2sfs for rebuilding) and basically make the pups on either side of the divide use one or the other (depends on the kernel, apis as I get the gist on the deep workings of how pup does what it does. 42 was the answer to the question in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy as well as a wonderful project to rework the Official pup release. Again by memory recall (but might help you search here in the plmf), Pebble here (that was a quick successful search!) is something to do with boot and Pizzasgood would be the goto there (dunno if it got beyond beta, though). Dig around in the hardware section for specifics on networking/ conn and bugfixes, drivers, whatever it takes.

Keybindings in /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal look like they follow a pretty simple syntax, so it should be quite doable. By the way, if you're 'into' using the kybd interface you might take a look at the pekwm window manager as it has an elegant system for key commands built in - I'm still a novice with most anything but the basic moves (icewm gave me a few surprises early on with its take on 'standards', but it's a fine wm with some really good stuff - if you're used to it why not put it in your own pulp? probably try a few different versions out before you settle - some may fit this pup better or be more suited to your style than others).

Barebones puplets often come along sometime after an official version is released and often are tweaked like this short series by Christian (zenfunk) to suit what he particularly wanted to do and achieve as a goal. Lucky us, eh?

sindi

pulp 0.10

#152 Post by sindi »

Pebble is something to do with a fancy boot screen that requires
framebuffer kernel (or fbcon module), and pizzasgood also compiled
a kernel that does not need the module (rather than modifying
initrd.gz to load fbcon) so I emailed asking for a copy.

I have little experience with window managers as I usually
do everything CLI in a console (in framebuffer mode) and only
run one program at a time in X (graphical browser). There
are ways to start the program and X at the same time from CLI.

(Xvesa -screen 800x600x16 &); DISPLAY=:0 mplayer -ao oss -vo x11 -framedrop dvd://1-10
Typed in a console, it loads X and mplayer and no wm is needed. Saves a bit of RAM
but then you cannot tab between links in a browser, for instance.

mplayer fbdev sometimes works to play DVDs without X (using fb instead).
Depends on the video card. Or mplayer vesa (not on LCD screens).

I will experiment with jwm to bind keys so I can start programs
without a mouse, thanks.

sindi

framebuffer console fbcon

#153 Post by sindi »

Pizzasgood made me a package of the modules and depmod and I stuck into rc.local 'modprobe fbcon', and added vga=791 to loadlin or lilo to get a situation where I boot to 30 sec of blank screen (because console mode does not display now until the console modules are loaded) then a very nice framebuffer console 1024x768 when I hit Ctrl-Alt-F1 or F2.

The same 2.6.21.7 kernel modules don't work in Pup 4.31 so I will simply
switch to pulp (and learn to make keyboard shortcuts to GUI programs to save time bothering with menus).

If I have not responded to people's helpful suggestions it is just that I don't yet understand them. I need to learn more before asking questions.

Should pulp be able to handle the same recent browsers as Puppy 431 and 5? I also give people free computers and they usually just want to use Firefox. Browserlinux works, but uses somewhat more memory. How would I get a Firefox 3 icon into the strip at the bottom instead of or in addition to Firefox 2?

Browserlinux automatically sets up networking - is there something I can do to Pulp to accomplish that? I don't want my computers thrown out because people can't remember (how) to run a Network Wizard. There is one network card per computer.

Can I add Flash 10 to pulp?

sindi

petget and lynx pet

#154 Post by sindi »

I tried to install the lynx 2.8.7 pet (for puppy 4x) by typing (in an rxvt)
petget lynx*.pet and it looked like something was happening but lynx did
not install. It installs when I click on it in Puppy 4.31 in ROX-filer.

I then cd'ed to / and tried to unpack the package to / using
tar -zxvf /mnt/home/download/lynx*.pet
and again nothing seemed to have happened - files are not there.

I tried this on two computers. This is a frugal install of pulp.

So I did a tar -zxvf lynx*.pet (in a temporary location) and copied
/usr/local/bin/lynx and /usr/local/etc/lynx.??? over and it works, but
what am I doing wrong with petget?

The file in root is something about running lynx rxvt -e lynx and is
not needed.

On this Toshiba 3000-S353 laptop, framebuffer console appears to turn off sound
(as confirmed in Basiclinux, where the sound module won't load if I have
vga=791), but on other computers I am enjoying pulp with framebuffer console
and text browsers lynx and elinks. Much nicer text than with an rxvt.
And much more usable memory in case I do need to run Seamonkey 2 or Firefox 3.

sindi

pulp, firefox 2 and mplayer

#155 Post by sindi »

How do I set mplayer to be the default media player for pulp, and/or
how do I set mplayer to play mp3 files downloaded with firefox
(which for some reason are going to /tmp instead of my choice /mnt/home/download)? I can download mp3 files and then, in a terminal
or console, mplayer filename.mp3.

sindi

default music player and flash for pulp

#156 Post by sindi »

I chose 'other' instead of default music player ,and mp3blaster, and Opera (10.70 portable) plays mp3s, but how would I set a default music player for pulp?

Can pulp (seamonkey 2.0.7 portable) work with Flash 10?
I replaced libflashplayer.so with the much larger (linux tar.gz) latest version and it still tells me at youtube that I need to update flash player.

Is there a portable Firefox 3.6 for puppy? I like the portables because I can share
them between various puppies.

sindi

Flashplayer 10

#157 Post by sindi »

cd /usr/lib/Fire*/plugins/

ldd libflashplayer.so

The one that comes with pulp (from 2009, Flash 9?) has 14 dependencies.

The latest Flash has close to 50 dependencies, and pulp lacks:
ssl3 mime3 nss3 plds4 and nspr4

Can I use the ones from puppy 4.31, or do I need something older?

technosaurus

Re: Flashplayer 10

#158 Post by technosaurus »

sindi wrote:cd /usr/lib/Fire*/plugins/

ldd libflashplayer.so

The one that comes with pulp (from 2009, Flash 9?) has 14 dependencies.

Can I use the ones from puppy 4.31, or do I need something older?
ssl3 mime3 nss3 plds4 and nspr4 should be in /usr/lib/Fire*/
you can make symlinks in /usr/lib or better yet add /usr/lib/Fire* (whatever it is) to your library paths

the only reason you shouldn't have those libs is if you are running a non-mozilla browser (opera or midori and other webkit based browsers -- the others don't support flash anyhow)

I will say that although recent 10.x flash plugins are ~4Mb+ larger, they seem to use significantly less RAM/CPU

re: portability - you can use the directory (/usr/lib/{firefox-*,seamonkey-*}) from anywhere if you use the startup script in it

to find the location of any script use "which" ... for example

which defaultmediaplayer
or
which defaultaudioplayer

it will tell you the location of the script to edit

or to save a step (as long as you know it is a script and not just a symlink)

defaulttexteditor `which defaultmediaplayer`
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

sindi

defaultmediaplayer, mplayer, Firefox libs, Firefox broken

#159 Post by sindi »

default media player appears to be gxine, which in pulp was replaced with mplayer. This should be fixed in the next pulp..

mplayer plays DVDs for me but only if invoked CLI
In an rxvt: mplayer -vo x11 dvd://1.
I made a script 'playdvd' as above. (Which I have not yet managed
to get permanently into the jwm menu but someone gave instructions).

If I click on mplayer in the menu it cannot find any DVD

What file do I edit to add the libraries needed by Flash 10 to the library path rather than symlinking them to /usr/lib?

I put libflashplayer.so (Flash 10) into the plugins directories of portable Opera and Seamonkey (/mnt/home/opera....) and will try Youtube again after adding the libraries.

I am using Seamonkey and Opera (installed from pets) partly because Firefox 2 broke -
I get the error message 'Firefox is already running....' and the solution
is supposedly to delete /root/.mozilla/firefox/..... lock and .parentlock.
I deleted the latter but cannot find the former. Help?

I have been using pulp even on computers with lots of RAM because I like the uncluttered screen, the gtk1 programs, and the framebuffer console. (Could not find fbcon for puppy 4.31). But Firefox 2 won't work at a lot of sites. And Flash 9 won't work at Youtube.

I could use a standard Firefox 3 portably (unpackage it at /mnt/home, put firefox on the library path) and set it to use mp3blaster etc. But pets are nice because they already have useful plugins and preference settings. Is there some central list of browser pets?

I may be putting pulp on someone's '15 year old' (unlikely) laptop for accessing hotmail - anyone know which browsers work with hotmail?

This instant help is amazing! Many thanks.

sindi

Re: Flashplayer 10 in Seamonkey 2.0.7 and gxineshell

#160 Post by sindi »

ldd libflashplayer.so

-----

ssl3 mime3 nss3 plds4 and nspr4 should be in /usr/lib/Fire*/
you can make symlinks in /usr/lib or better yet add /usr/lib/Fire* (whatever it is) to your library paths

the only reason you shouldn't have those libs is if you are running a non-mozilla browser (opera or midori and other webkit based browsers -- the others don't support flash anyhow)

------
I am running Seamonkey 2.0.7 (from /mnt/home) and even after I
copy the latest libflashplayer.so to the seamonkey plugins directory Youtube tells me to upgrade my Flash player to Flash 10.
Seamonkey does have all these libraries (in /program).
What else might I be missing? Have you used Flash 10 and Seamonkey 2 or Opera with pulp? Is there some reason for using 9 instead of 10 in pulp other than size and the fact that it existed already when pulp was first put together? My only use for Flash is Youtube.

---------
--------
re: portability - you can use the directory (/usr/lib/{firefox-*,seamonkey-*}) from anywhere if you use the startup script in it

-------
I prefer to install to /mnt/home, so I can use the browsers from any puppy (and only add plugins once). I can also run programs from other linuxes in other partitions after mounting them (I copy over any needed libraries and config files). lynx for instance needs /usr/local/etc/lynx.cfg and lynx.lss - but for some reason it won't do certificates even with cert.pem added though that works in the original linux.

--------
--------
which defaultmediaplayer
or
which defaultaudioplayer

----------
There is no defaultaudioplayer in pulp.

The default media player is gxineshell - can I simply replace it with mplayer or do I need a shell version of mplayer or a plugin?

technosaurus

#161 Post by technosaurus »

those libs are in your SeaMonkey directory

the dirty way is to run
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/path/to/your/seamonkey-dir

but really it should be added in /etc/profile
or symlink them to /usr/lib as previously stated

to change mime type handling it depends if a. you are using rox or b. you mean opening it from SeaMonkey (it does its own handling)

BTW I made a script that will make flash9 work with YouTube and most other sites if you'd rather.
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

sindi

flash 9

#162 Post by sindi »

Please do provide the script for Flash 9 and Youtube.
I have no particular reason to use Flash 10.
But why does Flash 10 not work with pulp if Seamonkey has all the dependencies?

technosaurus

#163 Post by technosaurus »

#!/bin/sh
#assuming it is in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/ for now ... should use find instead
NEWVER="10.2 r"
FLASHLOC=/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
VER=`strings $FLASHLOC | grep -e "^Shockwave Flash [.\d+]*" | sed -e "s/Shockwave Flash //g"`
while [ "${#NEWVER}" -lt "${#VER}" ]
do
NEWVER=${NEWVER}9
done
sed -i "s/$VER/$NEWVER/g" $FLASHLOC

#flash9 is discontinued as of last month, but for now the last is at
#http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flas ... r_9.tar.gz

sindi

Flash 10 in pulp

#164 Post by sindi »

I edited /etc/profile and discovered (as you implied) that libflashplayer.so
goes not into wherever I had put it but into /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins,
so I copied it there, and also to the plugins directory of opera 11.01
(which I installed by unpacking the .bz2 with tar -yxvf in /mnt/home/).

In profile I added to LD_LIBRARY_PATH (at the end) /mnt/home/seamonkey/program
because that is where the latest libraries for mozilla currently are
(they came with the Seamonkey 2.07 pet package). Now Flash can find
its formerly missing libraries.

Flash 10 now works in Opera 11.01 and Seamonkey 2.07. Next I need
to install flash blocking....

I don't understand your script but it appears to be trying to fool
the browsers into thinking whatever version you have is actually 10.2.

strings /usr/lib/Firepup*/plugins/libflashplayer.so | grep - Shockwave
informs me that I have not Flash 9 but Flash 7 r68
One of the early postings for pulp listed Flash 9. ???

The latest version (now in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins - where there was not
originally a libflashplayer.so but where the mozilla browsers appear
to look first) is 10.2 r152.

I can't imagine Shockwave Flash 7 working very well at any site
even if you fooled the site into thinking it was version 10.2.

Flash 10 is over 12MB, Flash 7 only 2MB, so I understand why 10 is not
included with pulp. Perhaps someone could make a pet that installs
Flash 10 to pulp (edits /etc/profile to point to the libraries and copies
the 12MB library to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins) so it would work with
mozilla-based browsers on computers with enough memory and speed.
I prefer pulp even on my 'newer' (8-10 year old) computers.

How large is Flash 9?
Would it work with Youtube without faking the version number?

technosaurus

#165 Post by technosaurus »

actually flash7 works fine for most of the games that my kids like to play, and it worked on most of YouTube till November (it would still work if they had not changed the interface)

flash9 is only 8mb vs 12mb+ for v10.x... but the latter is much more resource efficient... the only good reason to use v9 is if you use opera, midori, or other non-mozilla browser

it doesn't fool the browsers... just gets around javascript added by point and click flash programmers who often just say latest rather than doing any amount of testing. I use v9 with midori/opera-9.27 and have only found 1 site with a problem... a flash10 demo.

sindi

Flash 9 with Opera

#166 Post by sindi »

If Flash 10 uses less resources (despite being larger) what is the reason to use Flash 9 with Opera?
Pulp already comes with the libraries (in Firefox). Will your script work with Flash 7?

technosaurus

Re: Flash 9 with Opera

#167 Post by technosaurus »

sindi wrote:If Flash 10 uses less resources (despite being larger) what is the reason to use Flash 9 with Opera?
b/c of the libraries you mentioned earlier ... it's smaller just more convenient - you could still just copy those libs into /usr/lib
Pulp already comes with the libraries (in Firefox). Will your script work with Flash 7?
Yes, but if something _actually_ requires flash8+ (fairly infrequent) it may (not always) cause the browser to shutdown (opera seems to do better though, b/c it wraps the plugins) ... most of the time you just don't get the newer components - also some people had problems with not getting sound even when flash7 was new - that required a helper lib in the plugin directory called libflashhelper (or something like that)

sindi

flash 7 with opera

#168 Post by sindi »

Have you tried using flash 7 (with your script) for Youtube?
If it works, I will share it with Basiclinux, which has such
old libraries that nothing newer than 7 will work.

technosaurus

#169 Post by technosaurus »

It did work with most videos until late last November when YouTube changed the player gui (which is separate from the actual content) for now it won't work without some kind of hack to bypass the player gui ... you might as well use You2pup (or 1 of 1000 other youtube downloaders) and mplayer for that. But it is still useful for playing 90% of the flash games out there (most of these are the exact same games that came out even before flash7, but the web page template contains stock javascript that insists that _all_ content requires flashX.x ... whatever the latest was at the time it was generated)

btw flash7 is the only version that will work with gtk1 browsers like the ones at lamerelle.org

efiguy

Introducing PULP

#170 Post by efiguy »

Hi "zenfunk",

- Have dwnld 002 and 003 to try in some old IBM laptops, and a desktop or 2 also. Wondered where the 0.1 ver is located, i'm having trouble following the info through the pages.
- Also would you be kind enough to list base kernel numbers used so as I may kind of understand what works and doesn't in converting this old hardware. From pg1 "My base distro is 4.1.2 barebones retro."

- Also might comment on liking to stay with 1.5 - 2.x security enhanced FireFox derivitives by "ttuuxxx" (rant: Lot of browser spill in 3.6)

- As an aside, reading about Flash 10, isn't that the version introducing EverCookies, from what i've gleaned reading about, is that most folks are staying with 9 and earlier until absolutely forced by a site to change.

Thank You for the work
Jay
NoobyNew - ryhmes with ScobbyDo and PuppyToo!
-gee, listened too much TV today!!