Puppy 4.2 RC4 Deep Thought - Bugs & Fixes

Pizzasgood

#61 Post by Pizzasgood »

I think we need to do as this theremin player recommends:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6bSRcRAhnc

I'm going to go download RC4 and take it for a spin (figuratively speaking, because I plan to do a manual frugal install, rather than burn a disk).
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

zigbert

#62 Post by zigbert »

Warren
Puppy 4.2 rc4

1. Menu icon 'refresh' is not following the rest of the theme. I have attached a new icon

2. Menu item 'Gxine' is not aligned as the others. I have attached an alternative .desktop file

3. I sent you updated script to use gtk windows instead of x-lib.
Floppy-format.sh
xsaneshell
Pdisk
If that's not interesting, it's ok, else this is a reminder.

4. So to the first-boot clock issue. The fix is simple (of course) and in my opinion genial. What makes trouble is fixpuppypin script in .xinitrc. If this is skipped, clock shows up. I have not looked inside fixpuppypin because I think the best solution is to skip it. - Warren, if you move trash/lock icon to the left of the screen you solve 2 bugs. Both clock and unaligned icons at right side. It's a win/win situation. Of course the best would be to remove most of the left sided icons, but as you said earlier. - Because icewm lacks the 'add icon' feature, you won't remove them. I'm sorry for it.

5. Have you considered a less complex wallpaper. These works in 16bits colourdepth and for normal/wide screens. - Simple gimp creations.

Sigmund
Attachments
misc.tar.gz
(33.02 KiB) Downloaded 631 times

ttuuxxx

#63 Post by ttuuxxx »

So Whodo
Your basically going to release a unofficial release with BB (Bloated bugs) I'm glad I'm not you
ttuuxxx :shock: -ing
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

trapster

#64 Post by trapster »

Sorry for this unrelated post but...

ttuuxxx, you really are an ass.
Go cry somewhere else because you can't have your way.
Puppy was here before you and it will be here after you.

WhoDo....hang in there. Puppy's looking great.
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

gerry

#65 Post by gerry »

HOLD THE FRONT PAGE!!!

Just booted RC4 from live cd, pfix=ram. Clicked the bar at the top of the
screen that says "Click here for welcome info.....". First item on here is about "Ram Space: A readout on the taskbar shows......" Erm, really?
Not on mine it doesn't.

Gerry

aragon

#66 Post by aragon »

WhoDo wrote:
aragon wrote:To come back to what this is about:

Found no bugs so far BUT it seems that ldconfig is missing again.
Missing from where, aragon? It clearly isn't there, but where do I go looking for it?
in former releases it has been in the devx (/sbin/ldconfig). I think it's also in your unleashed topdir.

if it's in the iso, it will help people to install software without having to reboot (in case of libraries). in some alpha and some beta's it has been in i think.

if you left it out for size => no problem. <opinion>for usability it would be nice to have it in. </opinion>

WAIT: Now i see, it's 474 kb :shock:

aragon

Pizzasgood

#67 Post by Pizzasgood »

I noticed a minor bug. When run, Geany will pull up the last file it was used with, which was apparently /root/my-roxapps/README-roxapps.txt. But on a fresh install, it should create a new file instead (not a real new file, but you know what I mean.)

What you need to do to fix it is to edit the /root/.config/geany/geany.conf file and remove the three entries below the [files] line and above the [tools] line. (lines 127, 128, 129)
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

gerry

#68 Post by gerry »

/etc/opt/samba/smb.conf

needs to have owner, group, world read permissions, so that cups can read it to print to a windows-connected printer.

Only has owner at present.

Gerry

Pizzasgood

#69 Post by Pizzasgood »

ttuuxxx wrote:So Whodo
Your basically going to release a unofficial release with BB (Bloated bugs) I'm glad I'm not you
ttuuxxx :shock: -ing
If you don't like WhoDo's decisions, fine. Go make your own version. But please stop complaining about it here. You've been a big help. Cool. But that doesn't mean you get to make the decisions.

Puppy has a remaster script for a reason.

I am speaking as a moderator at this point, and I will soon begin to act as a moderator.

Minnesota

Wecome screen

#70 Post by Minnesota »

Sorry if this ends up double posting... blog is bogging down...
Just booted RC4 from live cd, pfix=ram. Clicked the bar at the top of the
screen that says "Click here for welcome info.....". First item on here is about "Ram Space: A readout on the taskbar shows......" Erm, really?
Not on mine it doesn't. Gerry
I agree...and will go further... if you skip out of the welcome information...how do you ever get back?? I looked in Help...etc. OH, sure I can reboot....

We are at a place in RC4 where it is time to clean up little things... please cut out all the bickering.. it is not welcome by anyone... I have followed this blog and development for over a year... this is a very good and appreciated new release... PLEASE take the personal jabs someplace else. If anyone feels they are un appreciated by the world...well find a different venue to find accomplishment.

Puppy is a Great.. YES a GREAT contribution to the world. KEEP THAT IN MIND.. Sure it can be set up different...but it is a fast working system that deserves respect.

IF we are at the point of nothing more to do... PLEASE.. start taking a serious look at cleaning up and making the menus, screens, etc.. USER Friendly.. I know that is a over used term.. but Please let a kid or non Linux user sit down and start asking questions... you might be amazed at what they find. Time spent now or in the next version will go a long way to have users run to Puppy. Clicking three or four times to get to desired option is fine.. but one click is better. Having to insert a password where it can be preset is another example of User Friendlyness. Many of you long time users know what program is what...this version improves the menu descriptions.. the icons on the menus help. MORE can be done. Auto set up of wireless and printers are two more options for the future, but go a long way to make the system much easier to use.

By the way... on many of ttuuxxx screen shots the version is in the menu button.. I THINK this is a great idea.. any way to get this in this version?

Everyone stand up, walk over to each other give a hug...or at the very least shake hands.

It is to late in the game to be fighting and cutting bridges.... especially on a bug fix blog.

:) PUPPY is FUN TO USE, does it's job and just plain Works.. or can be adjusted if needed. Congratulations to EVERYONE!

`f00

#71 Post by `f00 »

Probably the same way it's done in Conky (oops, bb :lol: )

sata80

#72 Post by sata80 »

Great distro, no more MS for me.
I have minor widgets bug(?). When i boot from cd pfix=ram, close widgets and side trays and start widgets again, widgets appear normally but jump to left bottom screen. See picture.
(Earlier tested frugal pfix=ram and all widgets jump'd. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=240)
Attachments
widgets.jpg
Puppy space in left bottom corner.
(97.15 KiB) Downloaded 785 times

dejan555

#73 Post by dejan555 »

10 years from now...

-Hey dad, can you tell me the story about WhoDo vs ttuuxxx battle on their journey to 4.2?
-Sure son, it was a great battle on 50 forum pages, most users that accidentally cross that pages lost their lives in cross firing, smoke and clouds were everywhere, but in the end a moment of revelation happend, and the 4.2 was born!

Sorry guys, couldn't resist, didn't test RC4 cause it seems that I'll be downloading Final very soon, and I'm very happy about it. Great job all of you, now just cool down, take a break, then upload that final so everyone can enjoy!

P.S. This is kinda offtopic, does it mean I'm gonna die in pain now? :roll:
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

murmelbahn

Gxine full screen etc.

#74 Post by murmelbahn »

I'd like to report some bugs:

Please try this in JWM: click on 'file', then 'show desktop' button (next to the 'menu' button), then 'file' again, then 'show desktop' etc. MAGIC!!
<-- EDIT: forget about this one, my mistake, it's not a bug I just didn't understand that 'show desktop' was meant to toggle; I thought it was meant to minimize every time you clicked on it; sorry! :oops:

Gxine full screen mode not working here. Nasty bug for a video player.

In Gxine, when doing 'File' > 'Open', the file chooser window will center on top of the main Gxine window. By default, the title bar comes to lie outside the screen (1024 x 768 resolution), so you can't drag the window back in.

PTray one more time, if I may: still 0.4? @Zigbert: Please do check! 'Power OFF computer' shuts down directly, bypassing shutdown menu.

Puppy Linux otherwise is such a fine OS. Pleeeease take your time squashing the bugs before going final.
Last edited by murmelbahn on Fri 20 Mar 2009, 21:32, edited 1 time in total.

cthisbear

#75 Post by cthisbear »

" Seriously, chris, I have NO IDEA what you're talking about and the
screen shot is of RC3 "

I posted the RC4 screenshot first.
It was too big so I deleted it.
Ithen tried RC3...was the same and posted it.
I've never posted a screenshot before so I made sure
on my edit that I resized it.

The RC3 screen was exactly the same 75% perfect,
but the last right side vertical quarter on the shot was shaded.

I t showed as shaded on my screenshot that I posted.

But I am in XP now...and yes the screenshot is fine.
This is strange.

Radeon 9200 Pro videocard.

I might reboot RC4...and copy the PNG screenshot to a drive
and compare it in XP.

Sorry old chum.
Must withold the magic mushrooms from my diet.

Chris.

zigbert

#76 Post by zigbert »

murmelbahn wrote:PTray one more time, if I may: still 0.4? @Zigbert: Please do check! 'Power OFF computer' shuts down directly, bypassing shutdown menu.
Power OFF is what it is expected to do. Warren, if you like it to act different you can edit 2 lines:

/root/.ptray/tmp/.jwm-tray-top line 19:
change wmpoweroff to shutdownjwm

The same must be done in /usr/local/ptray/func line 98

Sigmund

dogone

Three steps back to take in the long view

#77 Post by dogone »

After watching the 4.2 effort unfold... refold and unfold again, I've come to some conclusions. You may share them or you may not.

In hindsight, I believe the "official" Puppy development effort is on the wrong track. The process of building a fully fleshed-out Puppy 4.2 has involved too much software, too many options, too many people and opinions. The details and dynamics of the project have overwhelmed everyone at some level. It's all very well intentioned and it's all TOO much.

Rather than to produce another finished Puppy (in the Kauler tradition), 4.3 and later efforts ought to focus on developing a better, stronger, more flexible Puppy CORE while inspiring the development of new and better applets, tools and utilities. The goal should be to update and strengthen the foundation on which puplet developers can conceive and build better Puppies. Individuals build the better Puppies than committees do. They do because each Puppy is largely a product of preference and taste. Thus, the great and growing number of Puppy derivatives.

One Puppy has never and will never satisfy our community - or the world. "It takes a kennel".

cthisbear

#78 Post by cthisbear »

Sorry to say that my screen problem is Pwidgets.

What I cannot understand is why I never noticed it before.
Unbelievable!

The default wallpaper seems to do it whenPwidgets is on.
The others don't seem so noticeable....even stranger.

I booted RC4 with Xvesa,
just as the desktop loads and the screen first comes up the
desktop is perfect....
but when the icons start to appear then the shading happens.

I'm running the pic in XP. I copied it to a drive in Puppy.
Running it in Kana wallchanger and it is fine.

Sorry to give you the bad news.

Chris.

gerry

#79 Post by gerry »

Oh! so the shading isn't bling?? I thought it was intentional.

Gerry

trapster

#80 Post by trapster »

@ cthisbear
Have you tried turning the shading off in pwidgets?
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog