Desktop Drive-icon pileup in 1024x600 graphics [SOLVED]

Using applications, configuring, problems
r__hughes

Desktop Drive-icon pileup in 1024x600 graphics [SOLVED]

#1 Post by r__hughes »

I apologize if this is a double-post. I left a pup431 bug report at
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 3&start=90
for the record but I really would like to know if there is an interim solution.

I'm sure I read some recent messages concerning persistent pile-up of desktop drive icons at low screen resolutions. I have tried to search for the messages but can't find them. Could someone give me a reference. Was there a solution?

I am experiencing this on a Samsung N110 web-book with Xorg and a 1024x600 screen running puppy431 from a bootable flash USB. Whenever I insert additional USB Flash-drives or an external USB DVD RW the icons pile up at the bottom left of the screen. The icons can be drag/dropped to new locations but the problem recurs if the drives are removed then reinserted.

PS I have to use Xorg because Xvesa gives me a reverse colour graphic display.
Last edited by r__hughes on Fri 06 Nov 2009, 21:48, edited 1 time in total.
--- quad booting Slacko57NPAE, Slacko56NPAE, Slacko55PAE (with OO4, devx, Gimp) & WXP on DELL Dimension 2400 PC & DELL Latitude 630 Laptop using grub.
---USB-Flash booting same on Samsung N110 WXP Netbook and Lenovo q100 WXP netPC.

MinHundHettePerro

#2 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

Hello :)!

There was a fix included in 431's /sbin//pup_event_frontend_d, which takes care of the issue with fully overlapping icons to the left of the screen, as far as I can see. It still can happen that some icons are partially overlapping vertically, e.g. if you have booted using, say, 1024x768, and then have changed to ???x600.
First thing to try is then:
- delete all lines containing /root/.pup_event/drive_xxx in /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin
- delete /root/.pup_event
- restart X-server.

To dig in deeper:
change "64" to "56" in the following line in the free_coord{}-function in /sbin//pup_event_frontend_d

Code: Select all

COORD_Y=`expr $SCRN_Y - 64`
this allows a non-conflicting vertical placement of drive-icons for y=600-resolutions, should you use a pinboard gridstep of 16 or 32.

For more severe icon-piling, like if you would need a second or third row of drive-icons, you could try this.

Hth :)/
MHHP
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

Patriot

#3 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....
MinHundHettePerro wrote: ........ It still can happen that some icons are partially overlapping vertically, e.g. if you have booted using, say, 1024x768, and then have changed to ???x600. ........
Yep, I've "assimilated" portions of your codes to pup_event recently. I still get overlapped icons on smaller desktop sizes from fresh ram bootups ... I'll have to find some time to see what and why later ...

Rgds

r__hughes

#4 Post by r__hughes »

Thank you MHHP - your suggestions + the links solved the problem for me
- delete all lines containing /root/.pup_event/drive_xxx in /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin
- delete /root/.pup_event
- restart X-server.
--------- unfortunately didn't work, neither did pup_event erase/redraw + restart x=server
-----------------------------------------------------------
change "64" to "56" in the following line in the free_coord{}-function in /sbin//pup_event_frontend_d
Code:
COORD_Y=`expr $SCRN_Y - 64`
this allows a non-conflicting vertical placement of drive-icons for y=600-resolutions, should you use a pinboard gridstep of 16 or 32.
--------- this is the one that worked for me :) but I also used a tip from the link you gave to shrink the toolbar & show more drive-name
change JWM taskbar height to 26 in /root/.jwmrc-tray.
--- quad booting Slacko57NPAE, Slacko56NPAE, Slacko55PAE (with OO4, devx, Gimp) & WXP on DELL Dimension 2400 PC & DELL Latitude 630 Laptop using grub.
---USB-Flash booting same on Samsung N110 WXP Netbook and Lenovo q100 WXP netPC.