XFCE 4.6.1 window manager Pet - alternative to JWM

Filemanagers, partitioning tools, etc.
gray

XFCE 4.6.1 window manager Pet - alternative to JWM

#1 Post by gray »

XFCE 4.6.1 pet is now available from http://puppylinux.asia/tpp/NOP

You need to install dbus and then dbus-glib packages before you install the xfce pet.

try dbus & dbus-glib from

ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dist ... ackages-3/

Dont worry if the pet installer complains about missing libxcb or libxcb-xlib as they are included in the xfce pet. Also dont worry about missing libgladeui, it isnt needed.

You also need to modify the hidden file /root/.xinitrc to either comment out the lines running rox or add if ... fi lines as below.

if [ "$CURRENTWM" = "jwm" ];then
#relocates right-side icons to actual right-side of screen...
/usr/sbin/fixPuppyPin /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin #v1.0.7

rox -p /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin
fi

Also comment out some of the lines for absvolume

if [ -f /usr/bin/absvolume ];then
# if [ "$MENU_BG" = "" ];then
absvolume &
# else
# absvolume -bg $MENU_BG &
# fi
fi

to run ; drop out of X [ctr-alt-bkspc] and enter xwin startxfce4

One thing to note is that this version does not have a menu editor. Xfce 4.6 has moved closer to XDG menus standard but it is not yet fully implemented - the Merge and Inline functionality do not work. That makes it hard to do a decent menu. You can edit the menu by hand by copying /etc/xdg/menus/xfce-applications.menu to /root/.config/menus and editting the copied file. see http://wiki.xfce.org/howto/customize-menu

You might also like to use the modified pupevent system for desktop drive icons in xfce (only puppy 4.1) also at the NOP site, xfce_pupevent_410.pet (rename the _410 bit as reqd).
Attachments
xfce4-wavelan-plugin-0.5.3.pet
(139.37 KiB) Downloaded 2268 times
xfce4-verve-plugin-0.3.6.pet
(14.06 KiB) Downloaded 2227 times
Last edited by gray on Sat 25 Apr 2009, 12:51, edited 4 times in total.

DMcCunney

Re: XFCE 4.6 Pet

#2 Post by DMcCunney »

gray wrote:XFCE 4.6 pet is now available from http://puppylinux.asia/tpp/NOP

<...>
Ahhhh. Thank you!
That doesn't work here. startxfce4 without the xwin does, as it did in my xfce4 4.42 installation.

It also didn't pick up some panels I had defined in 4.42, but no worries, those are easy enough to reproduce.
One thing to note is that this version does not have a menu editor.
Well, it says it does, and selecting it brings up a manu editor, but I haven't tested yet to see if it works.
Xfce 4.6 has moved closer to XDG menus standard but it is not yet fully implemented - the Merge and Inline functionality do not work. That makes it hard to do a decent menu. You can edit the menu by hand by copying /etc/xdg/menus/xfce-applications.menu to /root/.config/menus and editting the copied file. see http://wiki.xfce.org/howto/customize-menu
Noted, thanks!

Any chance of getting a compile of the Verve plugin?

And incidentally, I see two instances of the Printing System Settings applet in the Xfce4 Settings Manager.
______
Dennis

techtype

#3 Post by techtype »

I assume this pet only works with a certain kernel??

trapster

#4 Post by trapster »

Very nice...working on 410.
Memory usage seems very high, especially Thunar.
My fonts in fluxbox were changed when I used it and went back to fluxbox.
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

dawnsboy

#5 Post by dawnsboy »

Thank you for making this available. I have a full hdd install of 4.12 bare on my Eeepc 701. This package allows me to further customize my Puppy experience.

As a point of interest:
Quote:

That doesn't work here. startxfce4 without the xwin does, as it did in my xfce4 4.42 installation.
Actually this does work in my setup as described.
Quote:

Well, it says it does, and selecting it brings up a manu editor, but I haven't tested yet to see if it works.
As stated there is no menu editor available to me in XFCE 4.4.6. There is no executable in the customary place and pfind 4.7 cannot find it either.

So far a very good experience with this package. Thanks again.

DMcCunney

#6 Post by DMcCunney »

dawnsboy wrote:
Actually this does work in my setup as described.
I'd be curious to know what's different between your setup and mine. It may because I was upgrading an existing 4.42 install.
Well, it says it does, and selecting it brings up a menu editor, but I haven't tested yet to see if it works.
As stated there is no menu editor available to me in XFCE 4.4.6. There is no executable in the customary place and pfind 4.7 cannot find it either.
Menu/Setup/Xfce 4 Settings Manager

"Menu Editor" is a choice here.

Again, it might be due to me upgrading instead of installing new.
______
Dennis

dawnsboy

#7 Post by dawnsboy »

Again, it might be due to me upgrading instead of installing new.
I am certain that this is the case. You are upgrading and I am doing a fresh install. That is why I piped up. I just wanted to pass along the fact that my experience is as the packager expected with a fresh install. Upgrading probably left those files on your system.

Does the menu editor work on your setup? If so then following the instructions in the initial post for this thread for customizing the xfce menu will be easy due to the fact that once you customize the xfce menu as described on xfce.org the menu editor will allow the user to edit the complete menu. Instead of the limited options normally presented; ie logout, help, run, settings. The customized menu editor will have all the programs listed.

gray

#8 Post by gray »

DMcCunney: The reason you have a menu editor and two printer setups in the desktop settings IS because they are left over from the underlying version of XFCE that you have installed over. I dont think the menu editor will work with the new menu system, best to delete it along with other older XFCE files. I will have a go at compiling the verve plugin.

techtype: I dont see why it should be kernel specific?

DMcCunney

#9 Post by DMcCunney »

gray wrote:DMcCunney: The reason you have a menu editor and two printer setups in the desktop settings IS because they are left over from the underlying version of XFCE that you have installed over.
That was the conclusion I came to.

It's probably also why "xwin startxfce4" doesn't work here, but "startxfce4 does.
I dont think the menu editor will work with the new menu system, best to delete it along with other older XFCE files.
I just verified it invoked. I haven't tested to see what it might do. (And won't, without backing up a few things.)

I'll poke around for the dupe printer settings plugin.
I will have a go at compiling the verve plugin.
Thank you!
______
Dennis

gray

xtra plugins

#10 Post by gray »

some extra plugins for download. See main post.

magerlab

#11 Post by magerlab »

thank you gray
i also use keyboard plugin( from 4.4.2 )

Feel

#12 Post by Feel »

Thank you!
The main package works perfectly on Puppy 4.00

WarMocK

#13 Post by WarMocK »

Thank you for the package. That's gonna be among the first packages I will install when setting up my new test suite with g_pup. ;-)

A little request from my side: I'd like to know if someone here could apply the transparency patch for the XFCE-Panel to make the panel itself partially transparent while keeping icons and text opaque. I have absolutely NO experiences with compiling from scratch, and I don't have a worlking compiling environment atm (my old PC just croaked, and I need to assemble the new one now, which will take some time). Could somebody do that and provide a binary package then, please? *makes BIG puppy eyes* ó_ò

The patch (I don't know if it works for XFCE 4.6, too. It was written for 4.4 :-/):
http://svn.cross-lfs.org/svn/repos/patc ... ty-1.patch

And this is what it's supposed to look like: ;-)
http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr16 ... t-22-1.jpg

DMcCunney

Re: xtra plugins

#14 Post by DMcCunney »

gray wrote:some extra plugins for download. See main post.
Ahhhh. The Verve plugin. Thank you!
______
Dennis

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#15 Post by Flash »

What is XFCE? An alternative file manager to ROX?

magerlab

#16 Post by magerlab »

it's a whole DE not only window or file manager
look at xfce.org

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#17 Post by Flash »

Well, I tried. :?

DMcCunney

#18 Post by DMcCunney »

Flash wrote:What is XFCE? An alternative file manager to ROX?
No, it's an alternative WM to JWM. It includes a file manager called Thunar, though earlier versions apparently used ROX, and there are threads elsewhere on how to use ROX-Filer with Xfce. (The miost glaring lack in Thunar is no easy way to create symlinks within it.)
______
Dennis

disciple

#19 Post by disciple »

No, it's an alternative WM to JWM.
No, it's an alternative desktop environment to Gnome and KDE (and all the other alternatives) :)
Since it is a DE it has a filer, a WM, a panel, a desktop configuration thingy, a terminal emulator, a process manager, a text editor, a mixer... even a browser (in theory). Has anyone tried midori lately?
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

pcguru

#20 Post by pcguru »

just something I'd like to add - for flash and otherrrs who might not be familiar with xfce ...
it also happens to (in my experience) play very nicely with the whole compiz / compiz-fusion environment - and it's probably the most light-weight desktop available that does so (erm, unless anyone know otherwise)
and, well, it's purty darn nice even by itself anyways.