Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 22 Dec 2014, 22:25
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects » Next Puppy Development » 4.x
Puppy 4.2 RC3 Deep Thought - Bugs & Fixes
Page 17 of 19 [272 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 Next
sata80

PostPosted: Fri 20 Mar 2009, 09:20    Post subject:  

I have used Puppy 4.20 from alpha stage, no major problems.
Just downloaded RC4.
I didn't find RC4 treath, if this is in wrong place please move or remove.

In welcome message it says "A readout in taskbar shows how much working space left in RAM.", i don't get that reading in there. See picture. Haven't tested that in earlier versions.

When i do following: boot pfix=ram, stop widgets, close side trays.
Blinky appears top left of screen. See picture. Not happened earlier.

When i started pwidgets again, it appears in lower left corner. See picture. Not happened in earlier releases.

EDIT:
There is empty buttons in top bar. See picture.
restartwidgets.jpg
Description  widgets
jpg

Download 
Filename  restartwidgets.jpg 
Filesize  103.69 KB 
Downloaded  860 Time(s) 
ram.jpg
Description  RAM usage meter not showing. Top bar has empty buttons.
jpg

Download 
Filename  ram.jpg 
Filesize  166.41 KB 
Downloaded  864 Time(s) 
blinky.jpg
 Description   Blinky appears top left on screen.
 Filesize   3.37 KB
 Viewed   2077 Time(s)

blinky.jpg

Last edited by sata80 on Fri 20 Mar 2009, 10:35; edited 1 time in total
WhoDo

PostPosted: Fri 20 Mar 2009, 09:30    Post subject:  

ecomoney wrote:
Have you given any thought to additional applications for 4.2? Currently there are no easily available/discoverable ways to get the two biggest open source applications onto puppy, Firefox 3 and Openoffice. AFAIK they are not available from the desktop "install" icon, which will probably be the first place people will look.

These are available as both .pet and .sfs add-ons. The community continues to supply these "extras" at no extra cost so we don't have to think about them in the standard release.

Now if you're talking about a new CE version, however, that's quite possibly on the cards. There already are KOffice and Open Office .sfs packs and I use the KOffice one myself to great effect. I don't use Firefox 3 but I know there is a pet for that and that's only one step away from an .sfs too!

ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Fri 20 Mar 2009, 09:39    Post subject:  

ecomoney wrote:
I hate to drop this on you Whodo, as you seem to have so much on your plate.

Have you given any thought to additional applications for 4.2? Currently there are no easily available/discoverable ways to get the two biggest open source applications onto puppy, Firefox 3 and Openoffice. AFAIK they are not available from the desktop "install" icon, which will probably be the first place people will look.

If the person using 4.2 is a new linux user, they may probably be looking for these packages (which are both windows and linux), just to clutch at something familiar.

Perhaps is something you could delegate (not to me I dont have the skills....yet) Smile

Keep up the good work, do as many releases as it takes to get it right.

To tell you the truth puppy in current forum does not support Firefox 3. It would be wrong to add it. I've compiled it a few times . But I will assure you that, I'll advance puppy in the near future to support FF3 out of the box. I've compiled the latest Glib, Gtk, Cairo, on 4 series, but for that to work, I'll have to include a updated compiler to match it. So it will take some time. But before that I have a smaller no-bling puppy to build, a few living water's and fire Hydrant's to build, and then finally maybe what you ask for.
Ps I might move it up a bit in the list is people really need it.
ttuuxxx

Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Fri 20 Mar 2009, 10:43    Post subject:  

Quote:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=40158

Quote:
These are available as both .pet and .sfs add-ons. The community continues to supply these "extras" at no extra cost so we don't have to think about them in the standard release.
He means having them as part of the Unleashed tree, but not actually built-in, so that they can be installed by running PetGet, without the need to search for a package on the forum or anything.

Quote:
To tell you the truth puppy in current forum does not support Firefox 3.
Is that so? You mention compiling, but what about the precompiled version Mozilla offers? I've been using that in Puppy 4.1.2 for a long time now, with the only issues being Flash-related, and much much rarer than they used to be a couple years ago. The only dependencies that seem to be missing are a number of gnome-related things, and they don't seem to be making a difference.

ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Fri 20 Mar 2009, 11:08    Post subject:  

Pizzasgood wrote:
Quote:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=40158

Quote:
He means having them as part of the Unleashed tree, but not actually built-in, so that they can be installed by running PetGet, without the need to search for a package on the forum or anything.

Quote:
To tell you the truth puppy in current forum does not support Firefox 3.
Is that so? You mention compiling, but what about the precompiled version Mozilla offers? I've been using that in Puppy 4.1.2 for a long time now, with the only issues being Flash-related, and much much rarer than they used to be a couple years ago. The only dependencies that seem to be missing are a number of gnome-related things, and they don't seem to be making a difference.

Hi Pizzasgood
a good way to test it, is basically click on addon- themes, once it has the pop open from ff3, it will open a webpage, to the themes, now move the scroll bar up and down. How good is it running at a Mozilla website?????????????????
ttuuxxx

ecomoney

PostPosted: Fri 20 Mar 2009, 11:23    Post subject:  

Quote:

Thats what I meant to say PG, the "unleashed tree". I only ask because the other day it took me three hours to track down a [ur=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=37593l]very buggy version of openoffice[/url] which we needed for 4.2. The wikis are out of date on both these subjects, and google only lists very old information. Seamonkey, while doing very well for its size, does have difficulty rendering some sites properly, and a fully fledged firefox (with a recent flashplayer and JAVA) should be an easy and simple upgrade. The whole 4.2 user experience needs to be taken into consideration, not just the contents of the .iso

Sorry to pile more on your overburdened plate.

Sorry, my server is down atm!
Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Fri 20 Mar 2009, 11:53    Post subject:  

Quote:
Hi Pizzasgood
a good way to test it, is basically click on addon- themes, once it has the pop open from ff3, it will open a webpage, to the themes, now move the scroll bar up and down. How good is it running at a Mozilla website?????????????????
ttuuxxx
Feels a little choppy there, and it's like that in some other places too. I've been less than impressed with Firefox's performance lately. Scrolling on "fancy" pages like Gmail tends to be choppy, but simple places like this forum work fine (assuming the forum itself is working, that is.) And it isn't my hardware - I have a 2GB of ram and a 3GHz processor, and right now I'm even using a kernel with SMP enabled to take advantage of hyper-threading.

Do you mean that the poor performance is due to an insufficiency in Puppy and not Firefox? I don't currently have any other distros installed to compare against.

DaveS

PostPosted: Fri 20 Mar 2009, 15:03    Post subject:  

trio wrote:

Maybe this helps
i had the same problem when puppy detect that my interface is bcm43xx

so work around is:
I found that b43 can be used with success (by trying similar modules one by one)
I blacklisted bcm43xx and rebooted
go to network wizard again and choose b43
next reboot --> all's well

cheers

Thanks trio, that fixed it. Now the damn package manager does not work! .pets downloaded via the browser dont install either.

techtype

PostPosted: Fri 20 Mar 2009, 15:47    Post subject:  

DaveS wrote:

Thanks trio, that fixed it. Now the damn package manager does not work! .pets downloaded via the browser dont install either.

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr - Discussed all thru this thread, fix given near the begiining.
DaveS

PostPosted: Fri 20 Mar 2009, 16:24    Post subject:  

Package manager working fine in RC4, BUT, wifi only works after fiddling around with modules, then settings dont stick between boots and no matter what I do I cant print to my network printer. 4.2 seems more pretty than functional just now, but it is VERY pretty! Rendering in Seamonkey is good too, with fonts looking sharp. Kinda frustrated just now, I just wish I had more skills.
cthisbear

PostPosted: Fri 20 Mar 2009, 16:44    Post subject:  

tempestuous:

" If you're referring to the Intel wifi, I've answered that question before "

Thanks mate.

Chris
DaveS

PostPosted: Fri 20 Mar 2009, 17:10    Post subject:  

DaveS wrote:
trio wrote:

Maybe this helps
i had the same problem when puppy detect that my interface is bcm43xx

so work around is:
I found that b43 can be used with success (by trying similar modules one by one)
I blacklisted bcm43xx and rebooted
go to network wizard again and choose b43
next reboot --> all's well

cheers

How do I blacklist the module I dont want please?

DaveS

PostPosted: Fri 20 Mar 2009, 17:47    Post subject:  

DaveS wrote:

How do I blacklist the module I dont want please?

OK, I found it in the network wizard. Shame it dont work though! Blacklisted module still loads.

OK, so I am just an ordinary user. 4.1.1 recognized my wifi network correctly out of the box, and after configuring, always loads it correctly at boot. 4.2 RC4 cant do this. 4.1.1 was simple to set up printing on, and has remained bulletproof in this area. I have yet to succeed in printing anything in 4.2. Clicking a link in an email in seamonkey brings up the browser. This is not the case in Claws, though there may be a configuration to make this happen somewhere that I have not yet found.
Just now, I cannot be productive with 4.2. Just now it represents a backward step. This is a pity as I am very aware of the huge amount of work that the developers have put in. Sometimes life sucks a bit.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Sat 21 Mar 2009, 01:52    Post subject:  

4.2 software
http://pupweb.org/wikka/AdditionalPrograms

click on install
http://pupweb.org/desktop/

ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Sat 21 Mar 2009, 07:22    Post subject:  

sata80 wrote:
I have used Puppy 4.20 from alpha stage, no major problems.
Just downloaded RC4.

In welcome message it says "A readout in taskbar shows how much working space left in RAM.", i don't get that reading in there. See picture. Haven't tested that in earlier versions.

When i do following: boot pfix=ram, stop widgets, close side trays.
Blinky appears top left of screen. See picture. Not happened earlier.

When i started pwidgets again, it appears in lower left corner. See picture. Not happened in earlier releases.

EDIT:
There is empty buttons in top bar. See picture.

Can you try this version of blinky and freememory and report back if it fixes your issues, just install the package and 'Refresh' your menu. Smile
ttuuxxx
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?mode=attach&id=16178

Page 17 of 19 [272 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects » Next Puppy Development » 4.x
Jump to: