Vala and Genie programming

For discussions about programming, programming questions/advice, and projects that don't really have anything to do with Puppy.
gpnet

#181 Post by gpnet »

Thanks Mark.

Unfortunately I have a full HD install. Ok , with a little patience and luck I try to compile packages.

Let me know one thing. When I launch ./configure the gtk+-2.16.1 i got this warning :

Requested 'glib-2.0 >= 2.19.7 but version of Glib is 2.14.2
Requested 'Pango >= 1.20 but version of 'Pango is 1.18.3
Requested 'cairo >= 1.6 but version of Glib is 1.5.12

I checked in my /usr/lib for libglib version and I found 2 version :

1. libglib-2.0.so.0.1400.2 2009/05/11 16.10.51
2. libglib-2.0.so.0.2000.1 2009/05/11 17.57.40

I remembered I have already installed a new version of glib and I thought the system replaced the newer over the older.

How can set things right so that the system see only the x.2000.1 lib
before to proceed ?

MU

#182 Post by MU »

I think you installed a PET.
I think, it might just include the "runtime" (shared object) files, like /usr/lib/*.so.
But to compile, you also need the *.la or *.a files, and an entry for pkgconfig in /usr/lib/pkgconfig/. And the headers in /usr/include/.

This means, you also must install the DEV.pet of that Glib if available, or compile it yourself, to get those files.

Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

gpnet

#183 Post by gpnet »

The road now seems to climb a little. tomorrow I will think with a little calm.

Thanks Mark.

Gute nacht.

gposil

#184 Post by gposil »

Thought i'd see what all the fuss was about with vala/genie so installed all Mark's files and this is what I get when I try to compile HelloWorld.gs
In file included from /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdkcairo.h:23, from /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdk.h:30, from /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtk.h:31, from /root/Test/main.vala.c:4: /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdkcolor.h:30:19: error: cairo.h: No such file or directory In file included from /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdkcolor.h:31, from /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdkcairo.h:23, from /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdk.h:30, from /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtk.h:31, from /root/Test/main.vala.c:4: /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdktypes.h:51:23: error: gdkconfig.h: No such file or directory In file included from /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdkcairo.h:25, from /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdk.h:30, from /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtk.h:31, from /root/Test/main.vala.c:4: /usr/include/pango-1.0/pango/pangocairo.h:60: error: expected ')' before '*' token /usr/include/pango-1.0/pango/pangocairo.h:71: error: expected ')' before 'fonttype' /usr/include/pango-1.0/pango/pangocairo.h:73: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'pango_cairo_font_map_get_font_type' /usr/include/pango-1.0/pango/pangocairo.h:85: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before '*' token /usr/include/pango-1.0/pango/pangocairo.h:89: error: expected ')' before '*' token /usr/include/pango-1.0/pango/pangocairo.h:93: error: expected ';', ',' or ')' before '*' token /usr/include/pango-1.0/pango/pangocairo.h:94: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before '*' token /usr/include/pango-1.0/pango/pangocairo.h:101: error: expected declaration specifiers or '...' before 'PangoCairoShapeRendererFunc' /usr/include/pango-1.0/pango/pangocairo.h:104: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'pango_cairo_context_get_shape_renderer' /usr/include/pango-1.0/pango/pangocairo.h:109: error: expected ')' before '*' token /usr/include/pango-1.0/pango/pangocairo.h:110: error: expected ')' before '*' token /usr/include/pango-1.0/pango/pangocairo.h:116: error: expected ')' before '*' token /usr/include/pango-1.0/pango/pangocairo.h:119: error: expected ')' before '*' token /usr/include/pango-1.0/pango/pangocairo.h:121: error: expected ')' before '*' token /usr/include/pango-1.0/pango/pangocairo.h:124: error: expected ')' before '*' token /usr/include/pango-1.0/pango/pangocairo.h:133: error: expected ')' before '*' token /usr/include/pango-1.0/pango/pangocairo.h:136: error: expected ')' before '*' token /usr/include/pango-1.0/pango/pangocairo.h:138: error: expected ')' before '*' token /usr/include/pango-1.0/pango/pangocairo.h:141: error: expected ')' before '*' token In file included from /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdk.h:30, from /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtk.h:31, from /root/Test/main.vala.c:4: /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdkcairo.h:29: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before '*' token /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdkcairo.h:31: error: expected ')' before '*' token /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdkcairo.h:33: error: expected ')' before '*' token /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdkcairo.h:37: error: expected ')' before '*' token /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdkcairo.h:42: error: expected ')' before '*' token /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdkcairo.h:44: error: expected ')' before '*' token In file included from /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdk.h:35, from /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtk.h:31, from /root/Test/main.vala.c:4: /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdkdrawable.h:196: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list before 'cairo_surface_t' In file included from /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdk.h:50, from /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtk.h:31, from /root/Test/main.vala.c:4: /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdkscreen.h:51: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list before 'cairo_font_options_t' /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdkscreen.h:107: error: expected ';', ',' or ')' before '*' token /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdkscreen.h:108: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before '*' token In file included from /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtkprintoperation.h:31, from /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtk.h:137, from /root/Test/main.vala.c:4: /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtkprintcontext.h:41: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before '*' token /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtkprintcontext.h:56: error: expected declaration specifiers or '...' before 'cairo_t' error: cc exited with status 256 Process return 256 execution time: 3.28318 s
Any clues
[img]http://gposil.netne.net/images/tlp80.gif[/img] [url=http://www.dpup.org][b]Dpup Home[/b][/url]

gpnet

#185 Post by gpnet »

Hi MU,

I thought about the situation.
let's go back one step. I am very motivated to work with puppy as a developer. ( that is my job).

I don't think I would like to learn script language. I must be as productive as possible and so this brings me to a couple of languages ( c# or vala/genie).

Probably I am early with the new releases of puppy in order to a new developer environment rightly set up.

So Now. I have 2 choises:

1. Stop and wait the next release of puppy where I should find the new developer environment.

2. Ask Your help ( I mean the puppy team ) to align the current dev-env to the required evn to work with c# or vala/genie

In the second case I have to consider for update/upgrade procedure. I mean what would be the procedure to update/upgrade from current release to the next, considering that I have a full HD install.

If is there a procedure that automatically update all the system from the current to the next release, all is Ok.
If Puppy consider the new release a stand alone release and I have to move by myself all my work and tweekings, than I have to wait.

Any suggestion is welcome.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#186 Post by Lobster »

Any clues
make sure you compile like so

Code: Select all

#valac --pkg=gtk+-2.0 hw.gs
make sure you are running Puppy with gtk installed
Puppy 4.2.1 seems to have this
Which Puppy are you using?
make sure you have devx and use boot manager to load when you boot

hope that helps
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

tasmod

#187 Post by tasmod »

Hi Guys,

Just checking in. I've been following this thread and been experimenting with the Glade interface in puppy.

I also loaded Glade 2 and compiled a small app, at this point very pleased with myself. (Trying to learn C++)

I then downloaded the valide vala etc and had a very flaky system thereafter. This on Puppy421. Lots of apps just shutdown when scroll bars clicked on etc.

I've uninstalled everything but there must have been an interaction somewhere. I've lost the right click, open with Geany. the links and program are there it's just that Rox will not open it.

Geanie looks very interesting but as you say there is scant documentation.
It would probably suit me better as i programmed in Visual Basic when it first came out. That was when it used 'basic' basic syntax.

I'll keep watching, keep up the good work.
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

BarryK
Puppy Master

#188 Post by BarryK »

gpnet wrote:Hi MU,

I thought about the situation.
let's go back one step. I am very motivated to work with puppy as a developer. ( that is my job).

I don't think I would like to learn script language. I must be as productive as possible and so this brings me to a couple of languages ( c# or vala/genie).

Probably I am early with the new releases of puppy in order to a new developer environment rightly set up.

So Now. I have 2 choises:

1. Stop and wait the next release of puppy where I should find the new developer environment.

2. Ask Your help ( I mean the puppy team ) to align the current dev-env to the required evn to work with c# or vala/genie

In the second case I have to consider for update/upgrade procedure. I mean what would be the procedure to update/upgrade from current release to the next, considering that I have a full HD install.

If is there a procedure that automatically update all the system from the current to the next release, all is Ok.
If Puppy consider the new release a stand alone release and I have to move by myself all my work and tweekings, than I have to wait.

Any suggestion is welcome.
Well, you could just run the latest Woof-build, alpha8 or the next alpha9 off the live-CD. The 'devx' is available and it has everything for Vala/Genie ready to go.
Later on you could install to hd, updating the current installation -- probably when I get it to a late beta or final would be best.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

gposil

#189 Post by gposil »

Lobster

Running full hdd install 4.1.2 with every conceivable compiler known to man and dog...checked further vala will not run with same versions of cairo and pango as my other dev software...Qt4, Lazarus/FPC and Mono so i'll give it a miss until I get around to isolating vala libraries from system.
[img]http://gposil.netne.net/images/tlp80.gif[/img] [url=http://www.dpup.org][b]Dpup Home[/b][/url]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#190 Post by Lobster »

every conceivable compiler known to man and dog
:shock: That is a lot of work . . .
My clues are not the best. This is in cutting edge for a reason. Maybe if MU has some time he will offer better clues . . .

Not being able to get a basic program working from the command line IS frustrating - it happened to me and it turned out there was a bug in Genie which got fed back to the Developers by Barry.

Barry has made a great choice with Vala support and MU is already providing usable Genie examples with his treeview, browser and pic viewer etc.

Thanks for having a look and better luck next time :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

01micko

#191 Post by 01micko »

Hello gposil,

I 'd look at Barry's suggestion to "gpnet". It makes sense and running live is always faster provided you have half decent hardware. Its only about 180M download including dev_x :) .

Just my 2c

Cheers.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

gposil

#192 Post by gposil »

Thanks Mick...why didn't I think of that.... :) ...and yes the old dog learns new tricks

01micko

#193 Post by 01micko »

haha! Good on you!

gpnet

#194 Post by gpnet »

Hi Barry,

Thanks for replay,

Ok, I think should be better to get the beta live CD. Do you have already a plan for that ?

Let me know.

01micko

#195 Post by 01micko »

Hey folks,

Well I've been searching and searching for some Genie info around the web and it seems all the info is either here, on puppylinux.com or gnome.org. That's it.

One thing, my compiler is fine! That's a start...

I only know a little bash and gtkdialog, (enough to get me by :lol: ) and really want to know the best thing to do to give me a leg up (helping hand :wink: ) to learn Genie. Maybe take a long look at python?

I really want to learn this stuff. It is exciting!

I may reiterate this post on the LinuxQuestions.org forum in the programming section. It may attract some positive attention, and may even spread the word, and not only about Genie, Puppy too. :P

I have a small project in mind and have started on it, but, it may take me some time.

Thanks and Cheers.

tasmod

#196 Post by tasmod »

My problem too Mick, but also the compiler/ide problem on this PC doesn't help. :(
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

01micko

#197 Post by 01micko »

I posted on LinuxQuestions.org...

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... ..-727795/

Hopefully it will attract some interest! 8)

BarryK
Puppy Master

#198 Post by BarryK »

01micko wrote:Well I've been searching and searching for some Genie info around the web and it seems all the info is either here, on puppylinux.com or gnome.org. That's it.
Yeah, I have to get back into writing some docs. Well, it's a matter of learning it then documenting as I go.

I subscribe to the Vala mail list, and those guys do some brilliant stuff. The thing is though, they are experts, and what we need is ABC beginner's explanation and lots and lots of documentation and examples.

So, there is my http://puppylinux.com/genie, but also Jamie McCracken has a Genie intro page http://live.gnome.org/Genie. The author of ValaIDE is starting writing some Genie examples, and there is MU's excellent examples.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

caleb72

#199 Post by caleb72 »

BarryK wrote: I subscribe to the Vala mail list, and those guys do some brilliant stuff. The thing is though, they are experts, and what we need is ABC beginner's explanation and lots and lots of documentation and examples.
You and me both.

Genie sounds like a very exciting prospect to a Python lover. But at the moment I don't really have much time to reverse engineer everything - and I'm not GObject savvy at all coming from a Windows background.

I hope to find some time at some stage to get a handle on it as I'd like to develop my own Puppy utilities etc..

Regards
Caleb

nikobordx

Vala and Genie samples

#200 Post by nikobordx »

Hi,

if you're interested, you can find some examples of code:
http://code.valaide.org/

Nicolas.